PDA

View Full Version : FN 5.7 Pistol for Self Defense

CDR_Glock
08-26-17, 15:39
I realize this has to be a controversial round for many people. But, I have always wanted one of these pistols, and I'm picking one up this coming week. I want it for the capacity, the supposed accuracy, and purported ballistics of a rifle, in a pistol platform.

I'd have it as a plinker at the range. I am undecided if it would be considered for concealed carry or home defense as I have plenty of guns to do that job already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

foxtrotx1
08-26-17, 15:42
I realize this has to be a controversial round for many people..... purported ballistics of a rifle, in a pistol platform.

Just answered your own question. It doesn't have anywhere near the terminal ballistics of rifle. If you want it for a range gun great! But there is a reason no serious users adopted the pistol.

MountainRaven
08-26-17, 17:19
If you're concerned about being attacked by rabid prairie dogs, I suppose I can see the appeal.

Otherwise, you're just as well off carrying a PMR30. And much better off carrying a G19/G17/G34/1911/VP9/P30/P-10C/P-07/PPQ/P99/&c.

WillBrink
08-26-17, 20:04
I realize this has to be a controversial round for many people. But, I have always wanted one of these pistols, and I'm picking one up this coming week. I want it for the capacity, the supposed accuracy, and purported ballistics of a rifle, in a pistol platform.

I'd have it as a plinker at the range. I am undecided if it would be considered for concealed carry or home defense as I have plenty of guns to do that job already.

It has the ballistics similar to a .22 Hornet I recall and other than a very narrow niche it was designed to fill, considered a poor choice for SD. For small game and plinking, people seem to like it

pointblank4445
08-26-17, 20:30
It has the ballistics similar to a .22 Hornet I recall and other than a very narrow niche it was designed to fill, considered a poor choice for SD. For small game and plinking, people seem to like it

In its given platforms, the 5.7 falls short of even a .22 Hornet with similar projectiles, but it exceeds .22 magnum...it really lives right in the middle between the magnum and the hornet. Not being rimmed, it benefits from more reliable function in auto-loaders.

They do have capacity
They ARE accurate
But rifle ballistics...no freaking way

MegademiC
08-26-17, 21:53
Everyone talks about the accuracy. I haven't seen many posts showing 100 scores on a b8 at 25yds.
Stock glocks and m&p get really close or get there. What's the real accuracy of these things?"

Ballistically, I'd take a proven 9mm until I see true pro tests done.
It's not a rifle round.

Det-Sog
08-26-17, 22:21
Ballistically, I'd take a proven 9mm until I see true pro tests done. It's not a rifle round.

The data is out there somewhere. Our former resident M4C DocGKR did a nice write up circa 2009... You're better off with a 9mm.

IMHO...Want a pocket rocket? Get a Glock 20.

Edited: I just found the holy grail thread for me, as this data caused me to sell my 5-7 back in the day. It also precipitated my first ever post on M4C. I was a LEO at the time and qualified with this system as an off-duty and/or BUG. I dumped it as soon as I saw the performance (lack of) for the round.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?27927-5-7x28-fanboys-are-irritating

The 5-7 is a fun plinker... That's about all it's good for IMHO.

VARIABLE9
08-27-17, 08:01
This guy says it is a good defensive pistol (http://www.range365.com/fn-five-seven-pistol-gun-review#page-19), but I would have to agree with everyone else that it might be best as a plinker.

WillBrink
08-27-17, 08:54
In its given platforms, the 5.7 falls short of even a .22 Hornet with similar projectiles, but it exceeds .22 magnum...it really lives right in the middle between the magnum and the hornet. Not being rimmed, it benefits from more reliable function in auto-loaders.

They do have capacity
They ARE accurate
But rifle ballistics...no freaking way

Bottom line, a poor choice for SD compared to other standard duty loads from handguns.

pointblank4445
08-27-17, 08:56
This guy says it is a good defensive pistol (http://www.range365.com/fn-five-seven-pistol-gun-review#page-19), but I would have to agree with everyone else that it might be best as a plinker.

Ah...the 'ol "If you're only poking holes, you might as well poke more holes quicker and more accurately" argument. I'd say that supports the argument that the liability of the 5.7's ballistics has some payback for the cost. On the whole it certainly does not bring MORE to the table.

Talon167
08-27-17, 08:57
You like paying $.50 per round to practice with your carry gun?

diving dave
08-27-17, 09:05
The biggest pro, its an FN...I have the PS90, and its a fun little gun. But one of the last I would choose to fight with. I've nailed some pretty big jack rabbits with mine, using a 40 Grn VMax. It pretty much goes in one side and out the other, no real expansion. The same bullet in 223 blows them to bits. If you want one, go for it but I'd think carefully about making it a carry gun.

VARIABLE9
08-27-17, 09:07
Ah...the 'ol "If you're only poking holes, you might as well poke more holes quicker and more accurately" argument. I'd say that supports the argument that the liability of the 5.7's ballistics has some payback for the cost. On the whole it certainly does not bring MORE to the table.

Twenty rounds, one in chamber, and you can throw the empty gun at your assailant. More equals better.

WillBrink
08-27-17, 09:54
Twenty rounds, one in chamber, and you can throw the empty gun at your assailant. More equals better.

Then why don't we all just starting carrying .22L with highest cap mage? The big loss in terminal ballistics is not offset by the capacity increase. It's a niche rnd built around a platform (p90) to fill a very specific rec. SWAT teams that adopted the system early on that dumped serious # of rnds into people where so unimpressed with its performance they dumped fast, and that's using the full auto p90 and ammo not available to civis*. The civi stuff is pretty useless for anything but small game.

* = though people seem to get their hands on it but technically not supposed to be sold to civis, unless that's changed.

Kain
08-27-17, 10:03

If you watch sales PSA and SGAmmo have prices around 30 cents a round for plinking/practice ammo.

CDR_Glock
08-27-17, 10:18

I shoot big bore Magnums such as the 44, 454, 460 and 500. Compared to those, that's chump change.

MegademiC
08-27-17, 12:29
The data is out there somewhere. Our former resident M4C DocGKR did a nice write up circa 2009... You're better off with a 9mm.

IMHO...Want a pocket rocket? Get a Glock 20.

Edited: I just found the holy grail thread for me, as this data caused me to sell my 5-7 back in the day. It also precipitated my first ever post on M4C. I was a LEO at the time and qualified with this system as an off-duty and/or BUG. I dumped it as soon as I saw the performance (lack of) for the round.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?27927-5-7x28-fanboys-are-irritating

The 5-7 is a fun plinker... That's about all it's good for IMHO.

I still haven't seen pro gel testing of the elite ammunition rounds. I think the concept is solid: heavy for caliber round, designed to expand. It's still unknown if it performs as advertised and at best would offer similar ballistics to 9mm.

tnguyen
08-27-17, 13:23

it's only 30 cent a pop at PSA for plinking american eagle

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-27-17, 15:01
I still have mine and it's a fun gun. Everyone that says 5.7 is just a 22mag needs to look at that the 5.7 ballistics are from a pistol and the numbers that people reference for the 22mag come from a rifle. Yes I rather shoot something with a 9mm hornady critical duty but I still like my 5.7 for fun.

Adrenaline_6
08-28-17, 07:39
I don't own one and it seems there really isn't that much real world info on its performance. What I do know is that in the Ft. Hood shooting, all 11 that were hit center mass died. The other 2 was a head shot and stomach. 3 of the 13 were stopped charging assailant at close range with center mass shots. Maybe it isn't any good, I don't own one so it doesn't affect me, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit by one.

WillBrink
08-28-17, 08:51
I don't own one and it seems there really isn't that much real world info on its performance. What I do know is that in the Ft. Hood shooting, all 11 that were hit center mass died. The other 2 was a head shot and stomach. 3 of the 13 were stopped charging assailant at close range with center mass shots. Maybe it isn't any good, I don't own one so it doesn't affect me, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit by one.

I don't wanna get shot by a .22 short, but that's not the issue. People die from .22 shots all the time, some times after beating the person to death who shot them, then bleeding out a mile down the road. I was talking to a coroner once who carried a .25. I asked him why and he said he was convinced it was a good choice for SD due to all the autopsies he'd performed on people killed with a .25.

So that brings us to the important issues of terminal ballistics testing under controlled conditions, whether it performs in such a manner it coincides with accepted metrics of bullet performance, coupled with real world experiences in terms of stopping the threat vs death as the outcome. Per people like docGR who who perform the testing for large PDs, gov, etc and high level shooters who have dumped a bunch of rnds into goblins and found it utterly ineffective for it intended use, the 5.7 has gotten thumbs down compared to other choices for SD. As you said, there's not much real world entel, but what exists via SWAT teams that adopted for a short time and dropped it fast after poor performance, suggests people probably should not be the beta testers to be the ones who add more real world intel on it.

There's been a number of threads on that here also with more details if interested.

CPM
08-28-17, 09:01
I don't wanna get shot by a .22 short, but that's not the issue. People die from .22 shots all the time, some times after beating the person to death who shot them, then bleeding out a mile down the road. I was talking to a coroner once who carried a .25. I asked him why and he said he was convinced it was a good choice for SD due to all the autopsies he'd performed on people killed with a .25.

So that brings us to the important issues of terminal ballistics testing under controlled conditions, whether it performs in such a manner it coincides with accepted metrics of bullet performance, coupled with real world experiences in terms of stopping the threat vs death as the outcome. Per people like docGR who who perform the testing for large PDs, gov, etc and high level shooters who have dumped a bunch of rnds into goblins and found it utterly ineffective for it intended use, the 5.7 has gotten thumbs down compared to other choices for SD. As you said, there's not much real world entel, but what exists via SWAT teams that adopted for a short time and dropped it fast after poor performance, suggests people probably should not be the beta testers to be the ones who add more real world intel on it.

There's been a number of threads on that here also with more details if interested.

I'm not sure how you're countering a real world incident with ballistic tests... it would appear the Ft. Hood shooting is a prime example of how ballistic tests are by no means definitive. You also compared it to a .22 and .25, which it is neither. I think it's more than adequate for self-defense, although I would never carry it unless I had to.

Kain
08-28-17, 09:14
I'm not sure how you're countering a real world incident with ballistic tests... it would appear the Ft. Hood shooting is a prime example of how ballistic tests are by no means definitive. You also compared it to a .22 and .25, which it is neither. I think it's more than adequate for self-defense, although I would never carry it unless I had to.

Ballistics testing are a metric. In real world shootings there are a hells of a lot of variables that don't get taken into account.

You said 11 of 11 of the Hood victims who took round COM died. That doesn't tell me how many rounds they took, if it was one or 21. All it could mean is that the shooter, whom may burn in fiery hells, had exceptional shot placement. Even a fourth rate round put in the right place can kill which I think is Will's point.

As far as what is an isn't adequate. We can talk minutia until the zombies come but it comes down to putting rounds on target and taken out the CNS. I'd figure the 5.7 is good there if the round can make it. Anything after that is hits that cause the body to bleed out, at which point my thoughts are the larger diameter of an 9mm JHP is going to have an edge. Given the size of the 5.7 and it being basically the size of a fullsize gun a full size 9mm aint giving up much in terms of rounds.

There are of course a number of other factors one might also consider to make them choose the 5.7. I would argue you could choose worse guns as well.

GunsCarsBikesCigars
08-28-17, 09:16
the 5.7 is intended to be used as full auto and as such would surely work great an an instant and controlled 5rd burst. That said as much as i like the p90 I won't run a 5.7 pistol, especially with a hilarious stiff trigger.

on another note, shooting VICTIMS is different than shooting a crazed lunatic or an enemy combatant with adrenaline and the only desire to kill you

Adrenaline_6
08-28-17, 10:20
Ballistics testing are a metric. In real world shootings there are a hells of a lot of variables that don't get taken into account.

You said 11 of 11 of the Hood victims who took round COM died. That doesn't tell me how many rounds they took, if it was one or 21. All it could mean is that the shooter, whom may burn in fiery hells, had exceptional shot placement. Even a fourth rate round put in the right place can kill which I think is Will's point.

As far as what is an isn't adequate. We can talk minutia until the zombies come but it comes down to putting rounds on target and taken out the CNS. I'd figure the 5.7 is good there if the round can make it. Anything after that is hits that cause the body to bleed out, at which point my thoughts are the larger diameter of an 9mm JHP is going to have an edge. Given the size of the 5.7 and it being basically the size of a fullsize gun a full size 9mm aint giving up much in terms of rounds.

There are of course a number of other factors one might also consider to make them choose the 5.7. I would argue you could choose worse guns as well.

I'm not sure how many rounds each of the 11 CM victims had, but I don't think there were many if at all more than 1. He also wounded 32 others, which were shot in their extremities and shoulder, so there was a lot of rounds a flyin. On shot placement, yes, that is really all that matters, but given he was an Army Medical Corp psychologist, and there was no history of him being a gun nut, 11 out of 11 seems a bit of a high percentage to me. Also, he was shot by a 9mm 5 times and survived...although paralyzed. Again, I respect ballistics and all, but this real world incident has me a little quizzical.

MountainRaven
08-28-17, 12:13

Except you can buy a comparably-sized 9mm handgun that holds only one or two fewer rounds - and they're heavier when they're empty, so you're more likely to do some damage when you throw it at them.

20+1 rounds in a Five-seveN is great, but you can carry 18+1 in a P226 or B92FS and 19+1 in a G17 or XDm. So the capacity argument is moot.

Arik
08-28-17, 12:18
shooting VICTIMS is different than shooting a crazed lunatic or an enemy combatant with adrenaline and the only desire to kill you

I'm not sure how many rounds each of the 11 CM victims had, but I don't think there were many if at all more than 1. He also wounded 32 others, which were shot in their extremities and shoulder, so there was a lot of rounds a flyin. On shot placement, yes, that is really all that matters, but given he was an Army Medical Corp psychologist, and there was no history of him being a gun nut, 11 out of 11 seems a bit of a high percentage to me. Also, he was shot by a 9mm 5 times and survived...although paralyzed. Again, I respect ballistics and all, but this real world incident has me a little quizzical.

Explained right there. Adrenaline and determination go a long way. If I showed you a police woman who was shot in the heart with a 357 mag then got up, chased down and killed her attacker and lived! Would that mean to you that the 5.7 is greater than 357 mag? The human body and mind is unpredictable. Some people drop dead instantly from a 22 while others absorb 9mm and greater like they're spit wads.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

WillBrink
08-28-17, 14:07

You missed the point of my post completely and I addressed the above in that post, so I will say no more on topic. Good luck.

CDR_Glock
08-28-17, 17:25
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/d77577902d92090ff5a3f3ba8caf2fe2.jpg

Here it is. Mark II FN 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jstrange
08-28-17, 17:33
^

Congrats! Looks real nice and I have always wanted one, I just don't see how they justify the price. Especially when considering that most of their polymer pistols cost half of the 5-7.

CDR_Glock
08-28-17, 17:37
^

Congrats! Looks real nice and I have always wanted one, I just don't see how they justify the price. Especially when considering that most of their polymer pistols cost half of the 5-7.

I know. I couldn't either but it's just a unique gun that I'd like to master shooting. I love my FN FNP 45. I had to get the 5.7... more of a curiosity.

jstrange
08-28-17, 17:43
I feel you. I would have owned one long ago if they were around $500. I should have picked one up when they were around $700.

CDR_Glock
08-28-17, 17:48
I feel you. I would have owned one long ago if they were around $500. I should have picked one up when they were around $700.

I would have not even given it much thought for $700. When the price went down from what it was, I became very interested.

WickedWillis
08-28-17, 17:56
My Dad has one and I got to shoot it last year for the first time. I really liked it it, except for the trigger felt like a staplegun and the controls are oddly placed. I had fun with it though.

Adrenaline_6
08-28-17, 22:04
Explained right there. Adrenaline and determination go a long way. If I showed you a police woman who was shot in the heart with a 357 mag then got up, chased down and killed her attacker and lived! Would that mean to you that the 5.7 is greater than 357 mag? The human body and mind is unpredictable. Some people drop dead instantly from a 22 while others absorb 9mm and greater like they're spit wads.

No, but if all 11 that were shot by the .357 got up and chased him down , then that would get me thinking about the .357

Adrenaline_6
08-28-17, 22:05
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/d77577902d92090ff5a3f3ba8caf2fe2.jpg

Here it is. Mark II FN 5.7.

Nice!

Arik
08-28-17, 22:17
No, but if all 11 that were shot by the .357 got up and chased him down , then that would get me thinking about the .357Yeah but the next 285 people shot by a 9mm could have had the same results. 5.7 out of a handgun has less energy then a 9mm. And roughly 40sw energy out of a 10in barrel

hotrodder636
08-28-17, 22:43
I don't own one but was able to shoot my Dad's last week. Fun gun to shoot but I didn't shoot enough to get used to it and shoot as accurately as a VP9SK.
A lot of thunder woth nearly no recoil.

If FN brought the price down to 500-700, I would surely have one for fun. My dad got his with 8-20 round magazines, 3-30 rounders and several hundred rounds of FN blue box for <$1000.

Ron3
08-29-17, 00:43
I'd say if you have one use it.

The main benefit is probably having less recoil than a 9mm.

That's really it.

Not sure if that's worth being louder and doubling your practice ammo costs. The expanding rounds probably don't penetrate much. Never seen testing, just a guess.

daniel87
08-29-17, 02:38
Unless you have access to gov spec ammo. You better off buying a 22 mag with hp bullets. Id keep it as a range toy only

Stick with the nothing smaller then 9mm rule. Luger that is.

Op if you like it good luck and practice marksmanship. I have to a feeling shot placment is more critical with this pistol.

Its my understanding that its purpose is as a secondary to the p90, so make sure you have that too. You know like a match set [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CDR_Glock
08-29-17, 05:47
Unless you have access to gov spec ammo. You better off buying a 22 mag with hp bullets. Id keep it as a range toy only

Stick with the nothing smaller then 9mm rule. Luger that is.

Op if you like it good luck and practice marksmanship. I have to a feeling shot placment is more critical with this pistol.

Its my understanding that its purpose is as a secondary to the p90, so make sure you have that too. You know like a match set [emoji1]

Hahahaha. You evil man....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pi3
08-29-17, 09:43
I'd say if you have one use it.

The main benefit is probably having less recoil than a 9mm.

That's really it.

Not sure if that's worth being louder and doubling your practice ammo costs. The expanding rounds probably don't penetrate much. Never seen testing, just a guess.

That was my thinking when a guy at the range let me shoot his. I was disappointed that the recoil for me wasn't that much less than a 9mm. The round seems to only be useful in a full auto p90.

WillBrink
08-29-17, 10:39
That was my thinking when a guy at the range let me shoot his. I was disappointed that the recoil for me wasn't that much less than a 9mm. The round seems to only be useful in a full auto p90.

Far more useful and in it's intended niche (a PDW that can penetrate soft armor and increased distance than 9mm in a small package), but the SWAT teams who used it in that config dumped it after real world experience showed it very ineffective and I recall terminal ballistics testing also sub par compared to standard duty loads per docgr et al.

So, if I could get my hands on a P90 full auto with the ammo intended for that platfrom that's civi restricted*, would I take that over an SBR in 5.56 for SD/HD/CQB? No, and neither would the BTDT shooters who have also given the 5.7 a thumbs down outside it's very narrow intended niche, which makes sense for the few orgs such as the SS who use it and little else.

* = though civis seem to get their hands on it from what I gather.

titsonritz
08-29-17, 10:45

Who is he that he should be believed on this subject? I'll go this guy instead.
(https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm)

Ron3
08-29-17, 11:09

That's interesting. I've never fired one.

Heck if that's the case there's only one thing left: Expensive boutique ammo or reloads that may penetrate soft armor.

Would save $500 to buy two Tokarev's. (Also single-action only just like the FN pistol)

No thanks.

WillBrink
08-29-17, 11:13
(https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm)

You can lead a horse to water but can't make him think...

The other guy, a Tom McHale, I have never heard of him nor did he make a compelling argument at all that's it's a good choice for SD/HD in my view.

Ron3
08-29-17, 11:15
I do recall Jacksonville Sheriff's dept having the P90's and shooting people who needed it lots.

I wonder if the issue wasn't really unhappiness with the performance of the bullet. Did they expected rifle-like bullet performance and it didn't provide that?

Or perhaps it was simply bad "optics" to put 40 rounds in a bad guy? (Even though he earned it and it only took a 2 second trigger press)

I see the cartridge being much more useful from a sub machine gun than a pistol.

CDR_Glock
08-29-17, 12:06

That summarizes a wealth of firsthand experience.

VARIABLE9
08-29-17, 15:32
Hey I do not know, I just searched the internet and that was one of the first articles that came up. By and large it looked like he was saying it was good, based on no practical experience whatsoever. And thats why I wrote it off as a plinker, because there were just 'endorsed' type reviewers and no headlines that read 'New FN 5.7 Saves Puppies'.

WillBrink
08-29-17, 17:05
Hey I do not know, I just searched the internet and that was one of the first articles that came up. By and large it looked like he was saying it was good, based on no practical experience whatsoever. And thats why I wrote it off as a plinker, because there were just 'endorsed' type reviewers and no headlines that read 'New FN 5.7 Saves Puppies'.

As you know, you can find articles somewhere on the net saying a .25 is a good choice for SD, but that's also not the case compared to other choices. What you have is a cool and fun plinker and small game pistol and I'd enjoy having one myself. Enjoy

daniel87
08-29-17, 17:08
As you know, you can find articles somewhere on the net saying a .25 is a good choice for SD, but that's also not the case compared to other choices. What you have is a cool and fun plinker and small game pistol and I'd enjoy having one myself. EnjoyThe alg rmr or aimpoint would make it very fun especially for small game

Kain
08-29-17, 17:24
As you know, you can find articles somewhere on the net saying a .25 is a good choice for SD, but that's also not the case compared to other choices. What you have is a cool and fun plinker and small game pistol and I'd enjoy having one myself. Enjoy

Precisely. There are plenty of people who will proclaim that .22lr pistols is all you need for home defense because the Mossad used them to assassinate some asshole(Seriously that is the argument I have seen used to justify having a .22lr pistol as the HD weapon and it being better than choosing a 9mm or the like) or this "study" shows that a lot of people died from it. Forget the fact of niche rolls, vague evidence, and everything else. It generally comes down to, "it has killed someone so it must be good enough." Anyone with a brain, some not so commonsense, and who is willing to do some reading can usually get tot he bottom of what does and does not work as well as while ballistics is a sciences, humans are a living organism and sometimes the organism will do what it damn well pleases. At least for a time.

WillBrink
08-29-17, 18:14
Precisely. There are plenty of people who will proclaim that .22lr pistols is all you need for home defense because the Mossad used them to assassinate some asshole(Seriously that is the argument I have seen used to justify having a .22lr pistol as the HD weapon and it being better than choosing a 9mm or the like) or this "study" shows that a lot of people died from it. Forget the fact of niche rolls, vague evidence, and everything else. It generally comes down to, "it has killed someone so it must be good enough." Anyone with a brain, some not so commonsense, and who is willing to do some reading can usually get tot he bottom of what does and does not work as well as while ballistics is a sciences, humans are a living organism and sometimes the organism will do what it damn well pleases. At least for a time.

After they beat you to death with your own empty .22.

Kain
08-29-17, 18:21
After they beat you to death with your own empty .22.

Lol.
Actually, I was referring to the asshat you shot who didn't die like you wanted. Like the one guy i read about who took like 15 rounds, including one to the heart and lived, albeit minus most of his large intestine, all of his small, a leg, and a number of other bits and pieces.

As far as beating you to death with a .22lr, if it a bullbarrel might be quick. If one of the lightweight jobys I hope you packed a lunch. lol.

WillBrink
08-29-17, 18:25
Lol.
Actually, I was referring to the asshat you shot who didn't die like you wanted. Like the one guy i read about who took like 15 rounds, including one to the heart and lived, albeit minus most of his large intestine, all of his small, a leg, and a number of other bits and pieces.

As far as beating you to death with a .22lr, if it a bullbarrel might be quick. If one of the lightweight jobys I hope you packed a lunch. lol.

That's cuz they failed to watch enough tv shows.

Kain
08-29-17, 19:22
That's cuz they failed to watch enough tv shows.

Or they watched too many and think they can soak up 16 pounds of lead before going down while giving a 27 minute long monologue only to return next season.

On the note of the P90, I have to wonder, and I have brought this up before, if the 5.7 version would even be a thing for most if FN had offered one in 5.7 and one in 9mm? I think if they offered it in 9mm with some work, probably a little bigger, a little heavier, it would have sold like hotcakes. I know that is the set up that would make me giddy.

Pi3
08-30-17, 10:15
Or they watched too many and think they can soak up 16 pounds of lead before going down while giving a 27 minute long monologue only to return next season.

On the note of the P90, I have to wonder, and I have brought this up before, if the 5.7 version would even be a thing for most if FN had offered one in 5.7 and one in 9mm? I think if they offered it in 9mm with some work, probably a little bigger, a little heavier, it would have sold like hotcakes. I know that is the set up that would make me giddy.
That would be great, but I wonder if the 9 could be made to work in the magazine. It may be too fat. Now if they could make 10mm work...

cabbynate
08-30-17, 10:56
I hear a lot of people bagging on this round. HK has the MP7A1 and it's 4.6x30. The Navy SEALS have these in their inventory. Surely they must serve a purpose?

WillBrink
08-30-17, 11:07
I hear a lot of people bagging on this round. HK has the MP7A1 and it's 4.6x30. The Navy SEALS have these in their inventory. Surely they must serve a purpose?

For the SEALs, sure. You and me, not so much. Again, very niche weapon system for very limited and specific roles. I'm not a SEAL but know and or have spoken to a fair number, and not a one has even mentioned those PDWs as kit they use. Maybe other members here with insider SOF knowledge can comment on those PDWs and their use in SOF. What I can say, is it's a rare and limited use you'd see a SEAL using either of those.

Kain
08-30-17, 11:11
That would be great, but I wonder if the 9 could be made to work in the magazine. It may be too fat. Now if they could make 10mm work...

My guess is that you'd need a new mag. Prob a significant redesign for 9mm in size of parts. But, I think the concept would work.

From what I have read, mostly used for quiet sentry removal. Figure headshots. As said, a niche weapon.

Frailer
09-01-17, 22:41
...On the note of the P90, I have to wonder, and I have brought this up before, if the 5.7 version would even be a thing for most if FN had offered one in 5.7 and one in 9mm? I think if they offered it in 9mm with some work, probably a little bigger, a little heavier, it would have sold like hotcakes. I know that is the set up that would make me giddy.

I think once all the required modifications were made you'd end up with a very different gun, and the gun is ideal for me as it is.

Not because of its "effectiveness," but because shooting it makes me smile. Every. Single. Time. Maybe I watched too much Stargate.

I don't subscribe to the theory that *every* gun must have a "serious" purpose.

On that note--and back to the original question--I don't consider the Five-seveN to be a "serious" pistol. The fact that the official name is written in leetspeak is a clue.

MountainRaven
09-01-17, 23:40
I think once all the required modifications were made you'd end up with a very different gun, and the gun is ideal for me as it is.

Not because of its "effectiveness," but because shooting it makes me smile. Every. Single. Time. Maybe I watched too much Stargate.

I don't subscribe to the theory that *every* gun must have a "serious" purpose.

On that note--and back to the original question--I don't consider the Five-seveN to be a "serious" pistol. The fact that the official name is written in leetspeak is a clue.

I believe the leetspeak name would be, "Fiv3-53v3n."

Although I may be slightly wrong on that. The 509 does play somewhat into the subtle "F-N" in the name, too. Although it's much subtler in the 509's case.

DirectTo
09-02-17, 10:43
The 509 does play somewhat into the subtle "F-N" in the name, too. Although it's much subtler in the 509's case.
You just blew my mind.

jstrange
09-04-17, 19:54
Anyone ever try one of the 5.7 Masterpiece Arms that uses the FN mags? Might be a much cheaper alternative for those that like the round, but not the price of the FN.

pointblank4445
09-04-17, 20:56
Anyone ever try one of the 5.7 Masterpiece Arms that uses the FN mags? Might be a much cheaper alternative for those that like the round, but not the price of the FN.

Not sure how one could stomach paying for the ammo but not the extra C-notes for the actual FN gun (FiveseveN or PS90).