PDA

View Full Version : mayweather vs mcgregor fight

WillBrink
08-27-17, 09:17
Figured there would be some mention of it. Anyone see it? Not a bad fight but pretty predictable. I'd give CM credit as being a better boxer than I expected and had more clean shots on FM than I'd expected, but FM did what he does best. He let CM gas himself out (CM winning the first few rounds), got his distance figured, realized CM was not going to bring anything he couldn't handle and just dismantled CM until he was dead on his feet and a TKO a result. Pretty boring TKO (more like CM just too tired to keep his hands up) but that's boxing. In MMA, would have been a while till the ref stopped it.

Once MW got his mojo on and CM was already starting to gas, some of his punches were so fast you couldn't process them till after. Seeing in slow mo you could see them but without that, looked like a humming bird speed. Once MW knew he owned the fight, he peppered CM in the face lightning fast shots and that further took the energy out of CM. CM is a fighter who is used to having it done fast and brutal, MW a boxed used to getting into the later rounds and being tactical and patient which successful boxers tend to be, making the true punchers mostly a thing of the past. You don't see things like the Hearns and Hagler fight today.

MC did revert a few times to MMA by grabbing behind the head etc, and probably should have lost a point being warned multiple times.

Having said, the fight also confirmed why boxing is a snoozfest compared to a good MMA match and while CM lasted into later rounds and more or less gassed out, had it been an MMA fight, MW would not have lasted rnd one.

Compared to MMA those 8oz gloves look almost cartoonish compared to MMA.

Scorpion
08-27-17, 09:23
I watched it, and was surprised at McGregor's skill in the first few rounds. I figured Mayweather was going to win though - boxing is his element and he uses the rules to great effect against his opponents.

Great sportsmanship shown at the end of the fight too, by both guys.

WillBrink
08-27-17, 09:43
I watched it, and was surprised at McGregor's skill in the first few rounds. I figured Mayweather was going to win though - boxing is his element and he uses the rules to great effect against his opponents.

Great sportsmanship shown at the end of the fight too, by both guys.

Agreed. I have more respect for CM after that fight and even less interest in modern boxing after that fight.

CDR_Glock
08-27-17, 09:49
Mayweather is a strategist and also has great stamina. He can last 12 rounds. Most MMA fights don't last that long, even as brutal and as powerful as the strikes can be. I figured CM would have burned out, but from what I read, he had a respectable first five rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WillBrink
08-27-17, 09:59
Mayweather is a strategist and also has great stamina. He can last 12 rounds. Most MMA fights don't last that long, even as brutal and as powerful as the strikes can be. I figured CM would have burned out, but from what I read, he had a respectable first five rounds.

He won the early rnds, easily 1-3, and maybe 4-5, not sure on the scoring for those rnds. MW is strategist and also has great stamina, making him win fights but boring to watch and his fight style part of what's killing boxing. You don't see things like the Hearns and Hagler fight today. Now that was a fight...

Once you watch a few guys beat the snot out of each other with tiny gloves using every part of their body, boxing is a snoofest. Your mileage may differ.

Biggy
08-27-17, 10:18
IMHO, thanks to father time, anyone could see there has been some apparent slipage from a 40 year old Mayweather , who didn't spar for the last month because of his past hand issues, and along with an awkward style fighter with a game plan that forced Mayweather to change from being a counter puncher and become more the aggressor , the fight seemed closer than it really was. IMHO, if the fight was not stopped when it was, C.M. would have probably been KO in that round or the next. That said, C.M. made a good showing against a 40 year old Mayweather who IMHO just might be the greatest "boxer" ( not fighter) who ever lived. Remember the fight when Holmes literally beat Ali up. You can't beat father time, thats really the reality of last nights fight. If C.M. would have fought someone like Canelo Alvarez last night, I have absolutely no doubt he would have been KOed in the first 3 rounds.

CDR_Glock
08-27-17, 10:59
He won the early rnds, easily 1-3, and maybe 4-5, not sure on the scoring for those rnds. MW is strategist and also has great stamina, making him win fights but boring to watch and his fight style part of what's killing boxing. You don't see things like the Hearns and Hagler fight today. Now that was a fight...

Once you watch a few guys beat the snot out of each other with tiny gloves using every part of their body, boxing is a snoofest. Your mileage may differ.

MMA is definitely more exciting.

I miss the days of Hagler/Hearns, Ali/Frazier, Ali/Foreman. Mike Tyson's fights were funny to watch as they didn't last long. I love watching slugfests. I don't like watching running around the ring like Mayweather or Ray Leonard/Hagler. It makes for a very boring fight.

I didn't pay to watch. It was more hype than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NYH1
08-27-17, 12:42
I thought CM would have to knock FM out in the first few rounds to win. If not what happened was what was going to happen. CM would get tired and FM was just going to wear him down. CM wanted the ref to let it go to the end of the round....he wouldn't have made it that far. He was on his way down and the ref did him a favor by not letting him get dumped for the world to see.

I agree if CM fought the FM of 5 years ago, it wouldn't of lasted 4 or 5 rounds. Oh, I wanted CM to win so I'm not knocking him.

Just my $0.02, NYH1.

Spiffums
08-27-17, 12:44
MMA is definitely more exciting.

I miss the days of Hagler/Hearns, Ali/Frazier, Ali/Foreman. Mike Tyson's fights were funny to watch as they didn't last long. I love watching slugfests. I don't like watching running around the ring like Mayweather or Ray Leonard/Hagler. It makes for a very boring fight.

I didn't pay to watch. It was more hype than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I remember people complaining about paying for PPV for Tyson fights when they were 1st round knock outs. I've have like to have seen a "in his prime" Tyson fight MMA.

Honu
08-27-17, 16:27
still say he should have been one boxing match one MMA match

boxing is horrid to watch and the skill of boxing is boring and predictable etc.. hate it as a sport :)

WillBrink
08-27-17, 16:37
still say he should have been one boxing match one MMA match

boxing is horrid to watch and the skill of boxing is boring and predictable etc.. hate it as a sport :)

It used to be better, but per OP, I generally agree. First boxing match I have seen in decades.

Honu
08-27-17, 16:53
It used to be better, but per OP, I generally agree. First boxing match I have seen in decades.

what is interesting is the money still involved with boxing and yet I know so many who could care less so not sure where its all coming from ?

but could you imagine the huge boost MMA would have gotten with that ticket of those two ? of course he never would have agreed cause he knows he would loose

I do think mayweather would have lost way quicker if you took the overall time !

sadly though even MMA is becoming more predictable maybe ? not sure what I am looking for but its almost developing into its own more narrow style over last few years I do not see the dif styles showing up as much its now a striking bjj fight or so it seems :)

WillBrink
08-27-17, 18:22
CM shows some class after the fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWyxhlfI4g

Averageman
08-27-17, 18:50
Two entirely different sports with different challenges and required skill sets.
It was a novelty and a pay day for both.
Mayweather could have done no better in the MMA than McGregor did in boxing, perhaps not nearly as well.
That's not the point though, this was strictly entertainment.

WillBrink
08-27-17, 19:01
Two entirely different sports with different challenges and required skill sets.
It was a novelty and a pay day for both.
Mayweather could have done no better in the MMA than McGregor did in boxing, perhaps not nearly as well.
That's not the point though, this was strictly entertainment.

That CM took at least 3-4 rnds off MW before he gassed out and MW took over, says volumes about CM. MW would not last 1rd against CM in MMA as CM has some solid boxing skill and MY has no MMA skills. I had MW winning all along and sooner in fact.

RWK
08-27-17, 19:24
That CM took at least 3-4 rnds off MW before he gassed out and MW took over, says volumes about CM.

Not really. That's always been Mayweather's style. He's never been a power puncher and has only four KO's (not counting TKO's) over a career of 50 fights. McGregor gets credit for having a hard enough head that Mayweather didn't send him to the hospital. That's all.

If C.M. would have fought someone like Canelo Alvarez last night, I have absolutely no doubt he would have been KOed in the first 3 rounds.

Good Lord, yes. It was irresponsible (i.e., greedy) enough that the boxing commission even allowed him into the ring with Mayweather. Putting him in the ring with Alvarez would have been gross negligence.

NYH1
08-27-17, 20:51
MW would not last 1rd against CM in MMA as CM has some solid boxing skill and MY has no MMA skills
Well said!

NYH1.

Averageman
08-27-17, 22:24
McGregor gets credit for having a hard enough head that Mayweather didn't send him to the hospital. That's all.
Good Lord, yes. It was irresponsible (i.e., greedy) enough that the boxing commission even allowed him into the ring with Mayweather. Putting him in the ring with Alvarez would have been gross negligence.
I'm no Doctor and I haven't boxed in 35 years, but there are some brutal truths about boxing.
You have the shelf life a box of fresh strawberries.
Being in a ring with someone who's skills are remarkably more advanced than yours will reduce your shelf life.
That this can actually kill you or effect your cognitive abilities is always a possibility.

Moose-Knuckle
08-28-17, 05:19
Wasn't Dana White ran out of NJ by the mob? How much of these prize fights are fixed? Both sides make mountains of money, win or loose.

If I was a betting man, my money on the BOXING match would have been on the professional BOXER. Different hand wraps, gloves, oh and fighting styles, rules, etc.

POTUS Tweeted this yesterday, he's been a boxing fan for years he even hosted the Tyson vs. Spinks heavy weight title fight back in the day . . .

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4405/36693506552_67332c76b4_b.jpg

RWK
08-28-17, 08:16
If I was a betting man, my money on the BOXING match would have been on the professional BOXER.

Nobody with more than two brain cells to rub together would have bet on McGregor to win that fight. Best description I've read so far to describe folks who bet on McGregor is "dumb, emotional money" put up by MMA fans.

WillBrink
08-28-17, 08:21
Not really. That's always been Mayweather's style. He's never been a power puncher and has only four KO's (not counting TKO's) over a career of 50 fights. McGregor gets credit for having a hard enough head that Mayweather didn't send him to the hospital. That's all.

Then we agree to disagree. I honestly didn't expect CM to get a glove on MW and I suspect, neither did MW. Having said that via the OP, MW had a plan and he stuck to it and other than a lucky shot in the first 4 rinds while CM had is power, not a chance in hell he was going to win that fight.

RWK
08-28-17, 08:24
Being in a ring with someone who's skills are remarkably more advanced than yours will reduce your shelf life. That this can actually kill you or effect your cognitive abilities is always a possibility.

Exactly. The Nevada state boxing commission was very irresponsible in allowing someone making their boxing debut into the ring with someone who was 49-0. Greed superseded their judgement and common sense.

Singlestack Wonder
08-28-17, 09:53
Mayweather would have ended up in the hospital in less than 1 round vs. mcgregor in a ufc bout. Of course mayweather would never step into the octagon....

JusticeM4
08-29-17, 10:09
Mayweather would have ended up in the hospital in less than 1 round vs. mcgregor in a ufc bout. Of course mayweather would never step into the octagon....

Exactly.

I didn't bother to watch it because knowing how Mayweather fights (and his undefeated record), he would win anyway.

This fight was all about money and hype. How is CM going to fight FM in a boxing match, which clearly FM dominates? As much as I wanted McGregor to win, I knew he was going to lose.

Now the rematch would be great if they did it in MMA/UFC. That would give CM a huge advantage with kicks and takedowns which Mayweather has no skill in. But we all know FM would not step into an octagon for fear of losing and tainting his record.

Averageman
08-29-17, 11:31
Mayweather isn't stupid.
Regardless of the payday his chances of permanent injury are too great.
He is now a Billionaire.

tb-av
08-29-17, 15:09
Mayweather isn't stupid.
Regardless of the payday his chances of permanent injury are too great.
He is now a Billionaire.

He's a good businessman and boxer but he's not that rich. Maybe half that. As to money earned. McGregor probable just 2x - 3x his net worth. He doesn't seem to be too scuffed up for it either.

Sounds like the boxing industry to me.

WillBrink
08-29-17, 18:16
He's a good businessman and boxer but he's not that rich. Maybe half that. As to money earned. McGregor probable just 2x - 3x his net worth. He doesn't seem to be too scuffed up for it either.

They said his net worth is 300 mill after that fight. Whether accurate or not I can't say.

ramairthree
08-29-17, 19:08
It was a well hyped profitable endeavor for them.

But at the end of the day it is like asking who would win a race between Michael phelps and mark Allen.

Depends on if it is a swim meet or a triathlon.

Honu
08-30-17, 01:16
Mayweather I thought was worth 700 mil before and he is set to get about 300 from this fight ? so now a billion ?

but could have read that wrong :)

still insane money as I say for boxking ? even if its less

JC5188
08-30-17, 04:27

They said his net worth is 300 mill after that fight. Whether accurate or not I can't say.

"Celeb net worth" website, which is the go-to for these type things, lists Mayweather at $560 mil net worth...after the fight.

He's a lot different than most fighters, since he is his own promoter.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-boxers/floyd-mayweather-net-worth/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu
08-30-17, 05:52
"Celeb net worth" website, which is the go-to for these type things, lists Mayweather at $560 mil net worth...after the fight.

He's a lot different than most fighters, since he is his own promoter.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-boxers/floyd-mayweather-net-worth/

still WOW !!!

Averageman
08-30-17, 08:14
The day after the fight I heard Mayweather joined the Billionaire Club, I dunno I haven't been interested since Tyson started his downward spiral.
The trick doesn't seem to be making the money, it would seem to be keeping it.

JC5188
08-30-17, 11:30
The day after the fight I heard Mayweather joined the Billionaire Club, I dunno I haven't been interested since Tyson started his downward spiral.
The trick doesn't seem to be making the money, it would seem to be keeping it.

Billionaire earnings (purse) club yes, is what they mean. $1.1 billion iirc.

Still a big chunk o change.

NYH1
08-30-17, 13:27
Maybe now he'll be able to scrape some of it together and pay his back taxes.

NYH1.

WillBrink
08-30-17, 14:53
To add, what boxing used to look like. I was so stoked for this fight and it didn't disappoint, often referred to as "the three greatest rounds in history" by some. Hagler was an absolute beast and Hearns was no slouch. In my view, much of what's killed boxing is the fighters who realized if they ran away, clinched, and won on points, they'd win fights, which had more guys looking to emulate them than punch the crap out of each other, which opened the door for MMA. Far as I know the last true boxing beast was Tyson and once he went down in flames, my interest in boxing pretty much died with it. If you have not seen this, you'll understand why boxing was so popular at one time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2UopqhB3Y

turnburglar
08-31-17, 21:06
Im 100% convinced now that boxing is fixed and there was a no win clause for this fight.

skywalkrNCSU
09-01-17, 09:13
Im 100% convinced now that boxing is fixed and there was a no win clause for this fight.

Of all the fights why would this one make you think it was fixed? The only thing that might have a chance of being fixed was the fact that FM let the fight go on as long as it did.

PatrioticDisorder
09-01-17, 11:15
Of all the fights why would this one make you think it was fixed? The only thing that might have a chance of being fixed was the fact that FM let the fight go on as long as it did.

Judge's score cards and examples laid out by Skip Bayless of the ref intervening to break it up after McGreggor landed shots that hurt Mayweather tell me all I need to know, boxing is fixed.

sva01
09-01-17, 22:32
Judge's score cards and examples laid out by Skip Bayless of the ref intervening to break it up after McGreggor landed shots that hurt Mayweather tell me all I need to know, boxing is fixed.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but when Skip Bayless is your beacon of truth, you need to find a new beacon...

SeriousStudent
09-01-17, 22:50
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but when Skip Bayless is your beacon of truth, you need to find a new beacon...

Agreed. Bayless is not someone I would bet the mortgage money on.

I didn't watch the fight, and don't care who won. I have no dog in that fight. But Skip's not exactly a beacon of journalistic integrity.

PatrioticDisorder
09-02-17, 06:55

I rarely watch Fox Sports but he happened to be discussing the fight and showing clips as examples, this was something I did not pick up on when I saw the fight originally.... My point still stands that boxing is fixed, the punches may be real and the boxers themselves may not realize it, but the sport is fixed.

Eurodriver
09-02-17, 10:04
To add, what boxing used to look like. I was so stoked for this fight and it didn't disappoint, often referred to as "the three greatest rounds in history" by some. Hagler was an absolute beast and Hearns was no slouch. In my view, much of what's killed boxing is the fighters who realized if they ran away, clinched, and won on points, they'd win fights, which had more guys looking to emulate them than punch the crap out of each other, which opened the door for MMA. Far as I know the last true boxing beast was Tyson and once he went down in flames, my interest in boxing pretty much died with it. If you have not seen this, you'll understand why boxing was so popular at one time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2UopqhB3Y

That was a good ass fight to watch. Unlike anything I've seen in my lifetime. Mayweather figured out how to outlast the opponent by ducking. He's the undisputed GOAT, but he doesn't fight like those guys.