PDA

View Full Version : 1911 utilitarian combat pistol (Steve Morrison)

George Mac
10-05-08, 20:02
I sent a NRM series 70 to Steve Morrison a while back and have received news that she will be home soon. I wanted a duty weapon that would be reliable and accurate. I did not want all the bells and whistles I just wanted a .45 caliber hole punch for everyday duty carry.

I have always been a fan of the utilitarian grace of the original MEUSOC 1911's and of course Dave Berryhill's beautiful versions of them. However, I wanted to update that original spirit with a tritium front sight for low light encounters and a grip safety "bump" just in case. Here is the result.

I'll update with more photos when she arrives.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/Before.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/After2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/After1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/After3.jpg

1trp45
10-05-08, 20:09
Did you supply the hammer and the rear sights. I recently purchased a THUG done by Steve Morrison on a Colt Series 70, which came out very nice. I have put about 200 reds through it so far with no problems. I like what you had done on your Colt. Enjoy.

Andrew

George Mac
10-05-08, 20:19
Yes, I sent Steve some small parts from various sources that I asked him to incorporate into the build. I asked him to use his artistic vision and start with a "THUG-lite" but develop it with Retro/MEUSOC influences. I think he knocked it out of the park with this one.

VA_Dinger
10-05-08, 21:23
Looks like another Steve Morrison (Mars Armament/Specialized Armament) functional work of art to me.

Congrats on the 1911, it is a beauty.

sff70
10-06-08, 07:57
Very nice.

Utilitarian grace, indeed.

tango-papa
10-06-08, 09:07
Mind sharing the specs (parts and work done)?

~tp

tango-papa
10-06-08, 09:13
...and more pics too!:D

George Mac
10-06-08, 10:06
I'll post more photos when she gets here...soon baby, soon.

As for the Specs, I asked for Steve's Axiom build with a few modifications. As I said, I asked him to use his creative talents to make a utilitarian "MEUSOC" inspired duty weapon.

http://marsguns.com/

VooDoo6Actual
10-06-08, 11:27
Nice Blaster George..

Steve is no longer @ SAW and has moved to Utah.

Very talented and does some of the finest smithy work out there.

Love his Golfball Work....

Still @ MARS Guns.com etc.

George Mac
10-07-08, 23:20
Well friends, she is here. Our range was running the academy through today so I have a 0600 appointment with an ammo can of 230gr tomorrow. As for fit and feel, she is wonderful, and a very natural pointer. I will post more after some range time but I have to say the sight picture, safety, and trigger are simply spot on. Steve had to have another shop do the parkerization and the work on some parts is just un-sat. Once Steve has his tanks up and running it will go back for a little more love. In the meantime I don't think the crooks will mind.

Overall when you manipulate this pistol you are acutely aware of the blend of old combat heritage with the feel of a modern duty weapon.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_0849.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_0852.jpg

old grunt
10-08-08, 15:58
Hey George..that's a beautiful pistol. I have a circa 1984 Series 70 Gov't that's a "safe queen". It had a basic reliability, trigger job and Novaks installed by the GunSmithy out at Gunsite, BUT the whole THUG concept intrigued me when I read about in a magazine while in Iraq. RELIABILTY and smart selection of parts in a real KISS incarnation. I guess I need to win the Lotto!!!:D

MarshallDodge
10-08-08, 16:52
I like it. :cool:

Lumpy196
10-08-08, 18:50
Perfect

Jim D
10-08-08, 19:37
I really like that kind of approach.

I'm curious though, why is it that some of these high end customs sometimes have the safety hole exposed under the thumb safety?

I noticed the same thing on the THUG, in the article. For a hard use 1911, wouldn't you want to eliminate entry of particulate matter into the FCG?

George Mac
10-08-08, 21:46
Ok, Range Report.

I started out with 3 new colt mags, 4 old CMC 8 rounders, and 1 old Wilson 7 rounder.

I started with 230gr Winchester ball, one full magazine each of the 8 magazines. One of the Colts gave me problems and was S**t Canned (I had difficulty even loading that one). Other than the S-canned Colt all feed and ejected smoothly.

Then I loaded up 5 magazines (Wilson&CMC's) with 230gr Winchester HP duty ammo. All of these also fed and ejected with boring regularity.

Once this was done the fun began. I took 500 rounds of range "bucket" ammo, all 230gr, of old Black Talon, Duty Win HP, and Win ball. It was like Christmas or (Final Protective Fire) with rounds going non-stop. I had no malfunctions of any kind...ZERO. I also shot for accuracy but with me and a handgun that is not saying much. I was able to keep all rounds within the 9 ring at 25 yards. At 30 feet I was able to shoot a half dollar sized single hole. The site picture is deceptively simple and quick to acquire. The balance of the pistol brings it on target/center mass intuitively. What can I say, it is a .45 and shoots like a damm good .45 should.

All in all, I shot the snot out of it and it would not die. I am very satisfied with the function of this weapon and will not hesitate to carry it and use it for its intended purpose.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_0854.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_0859.jpg

Jason Burton
10-08-08, 22:33
...I'm curious though, why is it that some of these high end customs sometimes have the safety hole exposed under the thumb safety?

Quite a few variables at work there. Often times when a high sweep grip safety is used it is unavoidable due in part to the size of the lug hole in the frame, the sweep of the beavertail, and the size and shape of the thumb safety backing plate. Additionally, both the the pre-existing sweep on the back side of the frame as well as the height and position of the slide on the frame can play a part in whether or not the lug hole is exposed when the safety is engaged.

Often times a certain portion of this out of the hands of the builder, however choosing the right parts can sometimes help eliminate the hole being seen.

For a hard use 1911, wouldn't you want to eliminate entry of particulate matter into the FCG?

Truth is, unless you're pouring large amounts of dirt, mud, sand, whatever directly into the slight hole that may be present that's not much of a concern. And, I suspect most users, whether they be the average-Joe pistol packer or the working cop, would likely never subject a 1911 to enough debris for it to become a real problem. ;)

Lawdog-1
10-09-08, 00:44
George, how about a Parts list breakdown amd some closeup shots?

George Mac
10-09-08, 08:38
I would like to supply you with a parts list but to be honest, I don't know too much as most of it is Steve's recipe.

http://MarsGuns.com/AxiomOverview.htm

George Mac
01-17-09, 21:15
Had a holster that the thumb snap wore a mark in the slide. Steve refinished it for me. Damm, I like this pistol.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_1276.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_1274.jpg

please ignore the red fuzzys from my shop towel

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_1283.jpg

David Thomas
01-17-09, 22:27
Yes, I sent Steve some small parts from various sources that I asked him to incorporate into the build. I asked him to use his artistic vision and start with a "THUG-lite" but develop it with Retro/MEUSOC influences. I think he knocked it out of the park with this one.

Agreed. Very nice 1911.

George Mac
01-17-09, 22:35
Oh and by the way...

I got the MEUSOC rear sight (and hammer) from Dave Berryhill but he swore me to secrecy. Now Steve Morrison at Mars will be making the MEUSOC style rear sights for the "Axiom" pistols and for Dave. I'm glad to see two great guys collaborate on the sights because this sight picture rocks.

Dave and Steve both said I could talk about it now.

Lawdog-1
01-18-09, 00:39
George, is that a Ed Brown Beavertail? What brand trigger is that? What is the triggerpull?

QuickStrike
01-18-09, 00:44
Awesome gun and pics! :cool:

George Mac
01-18-09, 01:16
I believe that it is the Ed Brown Beavertail (not 100% sure) but I asked Steve to "make it smooth". Also, I think the trigger is one of Steve's, no "set screw" but when you take it apart it has a fixed "over travel" in the rear.

http://MarsGuns.com/AxiomDetails.htm

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-18-09, 07:26
That is a really, really nice gun. I share your love for the no-nonsense 1911.

I have always dreamed of opening my own 1911 shop. MARS is the closest to what I would do.

Lawdog-1
01-18-09, 23:33
George, how much TriggerPull weight?

Lawdog-1
01-18-09, 23:37
George, what barrel did Steve install in your 1911A1 ?

George Mac
01-19-09, 00:15
It is a NRM Series 70 with the standard barrel. The trigger is set a department mandated 4lbs.

NCPatrolAR
01-19-09, 00:58
The trigger looks like one of the 10-8 triggers.

SSGN_Doc
01-19-09, 09:11
Very nice! I am also a fan of the MEU(SOC) pistol concept. That is an excellent example of a no-nonsense pistol you have there. I like the handling characteristcs of mine as well. Looking at Mr. Berryhills site pushed me to build my own.

Limey-
01-19-09, 12:49
Wow fantastic...................

No.6
01-19-09, 13:16
Personally, I can't wait to have the money together to execute the one Steve and I have noodled out. Thanks for posting your pictures and experiences. It confirms that I've made the right choice in 1911 'smiths.

Lawdog-1
01-21-09, 16:12
What does NRM stand for in front Colt NRM Retro 70 Series 1911A1 ?

George Mac
01-21-09, 17:07
NRM...new roll mark

Steve_Morrison
01-23-09, 00:16
The trigger on this pistol was made in my shop using a die formed stainless steel bow and aluminum pad CNC machined in house, it does feature a "fixed" steel overtravel stop on the inside.

Several other parts, including the grips, springs, firing pin stop, flat mainspring housing, barrel bushing, are produced in house, or exclusively for MARS. The beavertail and safety are modified Ed Brown parts.

In my "spare" time I am working on the production of Dave Berryhill's MEU(SOC) style rear sight, the first production run (when ready) will be available from him.

NRM, as mentioned above, refers to "New Roll Mark", and is usually used in conjunction with "1991" , to distinguish the older "billboard" Colt O1991 (matte blued finish, plain slide with large block lettering on left side); from the newer, current production Colt O1991 (Classic Colt style rollmark, Rampant Pony on the slide, polished flats/matte rounds blued finish)

The Colt model number for this pistol did not change with the rollmark change- the currently produced "Series 70 reproduction" (O1970CS) has a different model number from the original.

Thank you all for the kind words.

TehLlama
01-23-09, 22:07
The trigger looks like one of the 10-8 triggers.

10-8 Performance and Cylinder&Slide both have that style of trigger - the 10-8 have lightening cuts and are available in Flat and curved, and various lengths, the C&S are all curved, varying lengths.

GeorgeMac - my wallet despises you, that's too pretty, and I can't get over how nice the beavertail and dehorning job looks on it.

Lawdog-1
01-23-09, 23:14
Steve, which model Colt 70 series do you think that is the best 70 series to build from, the old or the new retro version? I have a 1971 Colt, Mark V, 70 series .45ACP, like new in box w/ Warranty papers. I have been thinking to keep it like new or have you build for me a custom carry model and use it for IDPA.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-23-09, 23:33
Steve Morrison,

When you unitize the plunger housing, what technique do you use? I have a Novak's that I had them solder the plunger tube on. This seems like a neat mod that I am surprised isn't more common.

Steve_Morrison
01-24-09, 00:21
On the base guns-
There are *some* original run Series 70s that are horrible- weak rollmarks and miscut locking lugs in the slides, off center dustcovers, very loose slide to frame fit, so you have to be carefull. The vast majority of them are excellent. Some of the current production Series 70 Colts have some minor issues but it's unusual.

Generally speaking, either an original run Series 70 or a current production Series 70 is a great gun- either "as is" or as basis for a custom pistol.

The key is "hand picking" the individual gun- for good cosmetics, and most importantly good dimensions and heat treat.

I believe the current production Colt 1911 pistols (while certainly not perfect nor ideal) are some of the best 1911s Colt has ever made. The quality of the materials (steel and heat treat) is very high and the machining is generally very good and Colt's TDP on this weapon is conducive to reliablity and longevity.

Mr Bell- regarding unitizing the plunger tube to the frame.

For a long time I used a high temperature, industrial silver solder (much stronger than low temp plumbing or jewelry type solders and brazes)- this requires a fair amount of time and skill to do correctly, and there is some risk of harming the frame and/or plunger tube, and it takes some skill (and a little luck sometimes!) to get a cosmetically appealing and structurally sound joint.

I also use precision TIG welding- I prefer this process because I have very tight control over the heat involved and can localize it to a very small area, for a very short time period compared to silver solder. This greatly reduces the likelihood of affecting the heat treat of the frame and does not present any serious finishing issues.

The rarity of this modification is due in part to it being overkill for "average" users who are not particularly demanding on their pistols and don't shoot them very often.

The time and technical proficiency required are daunting for many individuals and commercial operations, not to mention that refinishing is a concern- high temp solders do not take parkerizing or bluing very well, and the chemicals used in hard chrome, nickel and NP3 type platings can attack the soldered joint unless time consuming and expensive measures are taken.

Lawdog-1
01-24-09, 00:58
Steve, would a Caspian or 2nd Foster, Slide and Frame be to use for a Thug build ? I have also be thinking about getting a Caspian or Foster frame with the Plunger Tube allready machined into the frame which would be the strongest?

AnchorArmament
01-24-09, 08:31
Steve,

It is good to see you on here.

For those of you who do not know Steve, he is a great guy to deal with and does excellent work. It is worth the wait.

I hope you are doing well back in Utah.

Ray

LSK
01-24-09, 09:49
George,
How are those grips for two handed rapid fire. They don't look like they provide much traction. Unless the left grip panel has some form of checkering I find it difficult to maintain my grip when firing fast.

George Mac
01-25-09, 19:35
It is great to see Steve on here again. As you all can tell, I can not say enough good things about Steve and his work.

The grips Steve made look very smooth but have a nice texture that allows you to get a very nice grip even with my sweaty hands. I have found that the serrated arched MSH helps with this. I have some original Strider logo grips, VZs, and Pachmeyers around the house but I am sticking with Steve's grips.