PDA

View Full Version : Which BCG for my new build?

ABNAK
08-27-17, 20:32
I am putting together an AR (which I need like another hole in the head). It is a 16" BCM BFH ELW barreled upper with a mid-length gas system. I plan on running a carbine buffer tube with an H buffer. Oh, the upper is going to ADCO tomorrow for pinning the gas block.

I have narrowed my choice of BCG down to two, both of which I already have:

1) LMT Enhanced Semi BCG.....got it on the recent sale they had a month or two ago.

2) Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black BCG.....they use Toolcraft as their supplier so it checks all the boxes.

What is M4C's opinion? Both top-shelf, both already in my parts box and brand new.

opngrnd
08-27-17, 20:43
I would say Option 1, but with the enhanced carrier, I'd think you'd use a heavier buffer.

TheMaroonNeck
08-27-17, 20:47
If it were me I'd just get the cheapest milspec bcg available.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ABNAK
08-27-17, 21:18
I would say Option 1, but with the enhanced carrier, I'd think you'd use a heavier buffer.

You think? I was wondering about it being a mid-length, 16" (not the usual 14.5"), and using the H buffer in a carbine tube combo. While it will surely be a smooth shooter I kind of pondered whether there would be an issue with the LMT EBG. I do not ever use cheap Wolf/Tula/Brown Bear/whatever. It is all 5.56 NATO pressure ammo, save for some .223 Gold Dots but they aren't weak for .223.

opngrnd
08-27-17, 21:28
You think? I was wondering about it being a mid-length, 16" (not the usual 14.5"), and using the H buffer in a carbine tube combo. While it will surely be a smooth shooter I kind of pondered whether there would be an issue with the LMT EBG. I do not ever use cheap Wolf/Tula/Brown Bear/whatever. It is all 5.56 NATO pressure ammo, save for some .223 Gold Dots but they aren't weak for .223.

Because the enhanced carrier has a cam pin track that delays the unlocking of the bolt, extraction is easier and is common to see people go up one buffer weight. I'd look at pushing an H2 in a carbine RE when using an E-carrier. The BCM Barrel is properly gassed while not being under gassed, and this combo should end up pretty smooth.

opngrnd
08-27-17, 21:34
Another example with the E-carrier: I set up a rifle with a gas port designed to be used with 5.56 pressure ammo. Since I shoot a lot of commercial pressure ammo, and a lot of buddies like to buy PMC Bronze since it's cheap, I use an E-carrier with an A5H2 buffer. I don't know if I would get away with that while using a standard carrier without using a lighter buffer, but the E-carrier allows it and gives me an incredibly smooth but reliable rifle. I have 1,985 rounds through it at the moment without issues.

SomeOtherGuy
08-27-17, 23:07
LMT. LMT is among the very best, and you're adding potential benefit with the enhanced carrier. And I agree with an H2 buffer as a starting point for that setup.

hdrolling
08-28-17, 08:19
If it were me I'd just get the cheapest milspec bcg available.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So he already owns 2 brand new BCG's and is asking which would be better to use on his BCM build, and your advice is to go buy a third BCG because the cheapest milspec available would be a better option?

Why is that, whats wrong with the two he already has?

ABNAK
08-28-17, 08:48
So he already owns 2 brand new BCG's and is asking which would be better to use on his BCM build, and your advice is to go buy a third BCG because the cheapest milspec available would be a better option?

Why is that, whats wrong with the two he already has?

LOL! Each one of those two, even at the sale prices I got them at, cost 2-3x what standard BCG's are going for these days. Maybe he missed that part about me actually having them already?

pinzgauer
08-28-17, 09:01
LOL! Each one of those two, even at the sale prices I got them at, cost 2-3x what standard BCG's are going for these days. Maybe he missed that part about me actually having them already?
Well you have two great options, my personal favorites.

I'd use the toolcraft if you are not try to fix/improve any gas issues, the LMT enhanced if you are.

It's hard to beat the toolcraft IMUO, especially with the inexpensive coatings.

RobertTheTexan
08-28-17, 11:53
+ the LMT. As solid of a choice there is. I run LMT BCG's in all my builds, from the first to the latest. The exceptions being my two precision builds where I use the same manufacturer for both the barrel and the BCG. On my SBR's I run the enhanced carrier LM7QA with their standard L7A3 bolt, with a LaRue Tactical 12" barrel, an 11.5 Daniel Defense CHF, and a BA 10.3. The LaRue 12" prefers an H3, but the 11.5 and 10.3 runs the H2 flawlessly. Buffer system is A5. Not sure if you mentioned that or not. I think you are in the right track with LaRue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueCorn
08-28-17, 16:53
I would have bought a BCM BCG but since that's not on your list buy the LMT.

grizzman
08-28-17, 17:08
In my opinion, which is shared by many others, LMT Enhanced > Toolcraft (coated or not).

If you don't have another rifle that would benefit more by the LMT, then that's what I'd use for this one.

Glock9mm1990
08-28-17, 17:15

I second this, for the money the BCM BCG is the best buy for the money.

opngrnd
08-28-17, 17:34

I second this, for the money the BCM BCG is the best buy for the money.

He already owns the LMT. I agree, though, that the BCM is a "best buy" for many uses.

ABNAK
08-28-17, 17:47
Sounds like the LMT Enhanced BCG is the consensus.

Only thing is I'm debating buying an A5 buffer system, and considering the upper is a mid-length (not carbine) gas I'm wondering if the combo of 16"/LMT E-BCG/mid-length gas/A5 might make things a bit too "smooth" for reliable function (?). Like I said it'll all be full power ammo so it may not be an issue.

My preference is actually for the LMT > Cryptic Coatings BCG but the LMT Enhanced was designed for issues arising from carbine length gas systems, things a mid-length obviously doesn't suffer from. Add in the LMT E-BCG, the longer 16" barrel, and A5 buffer system and am I adding too much?

FWIW I have two other LMT E-BCG's in other weapons, one a 14.5" SOCOM barrel and the other a 14.5" BCM ELW. No issues in either.

grizzman
08-28-17, 17:55
Vltor offers A5 buffers in 5 different weights, so unlike others that go heavier to tame down an over-gassed system, you'd be able to go lighter.

opngrnd
08-28-17, 18:22
The A5 will only bring improvement. Upgrade with confidence.

Steve-0-
08-28-17, 18:48
Id go LMT Enhanced carrier with a SIONICS NP3 BCG completion package.

opngrnd
08-28-17, 19:28
Id go LMT Enhanced carrier with a SIONICS NP3 BCG completion package.

That's honestly the route I took last time.

Vegasshooter
08-28-17, 19:48
Many answers in here. Several answers to questions you didn't ask. :-). I have quite a bit of experience with the A5 and intermediate length gas systems. I run the A5 on my Noveske, and my Sionics. Both run ABSOLUTELY flawless. I believe I'm running the A5H3 in both. I have no experience with the LMT bolts, other than I've always heard very good things about them. I would absolutely bet that the A5H2 with the LMT enhanced bolt carrier and bolt would be incredibly soft shooting.

Please keep us posted if you do go that route.

LMT Shooter
08-29-17, 19:06

LMT told me to use the H2 buffer in my 16" MRP when using the E-BCG, not an H, when I asked them.

Hulkstr8
08-29-17, 21:54
I'm a noob, but why does the LMT get so much love?

I bought three nitride'd Toolcraft bcg ($80 each) and they're properly staked and the finish is clean and slick. Lifetime warranty. WHat does LMT get for the money? How much do they cost?

I am most interested in the Sharp's bcg -like XRP or whatever the branding is.

opngrnd
08-29-17, 21:58
The Enhanced Carriers produced by LMT offer a few advantages due to the different can pin track. You're not looking at a different finish or spin on the Mil-spec bolt carrier, but rather a modified design that affects timing, extraction, etc.

Hulkstr8
08-29-17, 22:11
The Enhanced Carriers produced by LMT offer a few advantages due to the different can pin track. You're not looking at a different finish or spin on the Mil-spec bolt carrier, but rather a modified design that affects timing, extraction, etc.

Wouldn't the gas/ buffer system have more of an effect on timing than a bcg? How much of an improvement could the LMT offer over a "mil-spec+" bcg like a nitride bcg?

I mean, if I had the money just laying around I would just go with LMT on rep alone.

opngrnd
08-29-17, 23:11
Wouldn't the gas/ buffer system have more of an effect on timing than a bcg? How much of an improvement could the LMT offer over a "mil-spec+" bcg like a nitride bcg?

I mean, if I had the money just laying around I would just go with LMT on rep alone.

It's all part of the picture. BLUF:it seems to improve most systems.

The advantages are severalfold, and when used right, it becomes more than a sum of its parts. The following is as I understand things, in no particular order, though I'll try to keep some semblance of order of operations.

-The altered can pin track delays unlocking. If you compare the E-carrier and a standard carrier side by side, you will see that the E-carrier appears to have a longer can pin track prior to the curve in the track. This allows the carrier to travel further prior to unlocking the bolt.
- The delay in unlocking allows increased time for the chamber pressures to drop, lessening the pressure of the case against the chamber walls, and decreasing the friction associated with extraction.
- The altered extraction process affects extraction in a matter that makes it easier to accomplish.
-Less resistance during the extraction process allows more rearward energy, and is why many people choose a heavier buffer. I prefer the impulse of heavier buffer weights, and I believe it adds to the reliability of the system. I'll defer that belief, as with all my opinions, to the SME's.
-The delay in unlocking spreads the felt impulse of the action out, and along with the heavier buffer, creates a smoother feeling recoil impulse. I find it keeps my dot from being as jumpy, esp since I run the Vltor A5 system.
- Spreading the impulse/stresses of the system out is easier on not only the process, but the parts as well. It should be easier on your bolt, etc.
- The E-carrier lessens gas in the face, which is very welcome for those who shoot suppressed.

It's not a miracle worker, but using the E-carrier in conjunction with the A5 system, a properly gassed barrel with proper dwell time, the right muzzle device, etc, adds up very nicely in most cases. For many of the other cases, it can still be used as an improvement in the right combo. Just my .02$

26 Inf
08-29-17, 23:33

Here you go, this is a pretty good explanation as to why the lmt e-bcg was developed, what it does and how it does it:

In the mid 1990s, SOCOM reported many failures of bolt fractures at the cam pin slot on the bolt, broken locking lugs (usually lugs 1 and 7) as well as failures to extract and eject on the M4A1 carbines. There are many reasons for these malfunctions; everything from manufacturing errors to ammunition issues have contributed to the condition and in many cases, just the operating dynamics of the shorter gas system speeding up the cyclic rate and the bolt unlocking and trying to extract a cartridge case that is still slightly expanded.

These issues led to two different actions. First Karl Lewis of Lewis Machine & Tool was contacted to come up with an enhanced bolt carrier group that would deal with these conditions and the second was to come up with an upgrade kit that would aid in repairing these issues. This would include a new 1-piece Mcfarland gas ring, new heavy duty ejector spring and a rubber “O” ring that would slide over the extractor spring assembly that would greatly increase the extractor force. This would go on to be standard issue on Mk11 and Mk12 rifles.......

The first to be asked and the first on the scene was the Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) by LMT that addressed all of the issues.

Beginning with the bolt carrier itself, several modifications were made with the most significant being an alteration of the cam pin track that would allow more dwell time. In other words, it would keep the bolt locked slightly longer allowing for more residual pressure to drop that resulted in easier extraction.

Also, the gas port on top of the bolt carrier directed gas from the gas tube/carrier key to two sides rather than dump it all on top of the tail of the bolt and rear of the bolt carrier (piston chamber). This also slowed down the introduction of the gas that also led to an increase in dwell time.

The location of the exhaust port on the right side of the carrier location was moved forward and upward. This accomplished two things. First it regulates peak pressure to further slow down the action and second it released the gas sooner in the cycle so it would exit out the ejection port instead of inside of the upper receiver. There was a third vent added to the carrier to allow quicker egress of unused gas.

LMT added a flange to the face of the bolt carrier to fully support the bolt and strengthen the carrier at the end where the dwell was increased, which decreases any chance of cracking. Sand/dirt relief grooves were added to the top and bottom of the front portion of the bolt carrier. These grooves channel away any debris in the upper receiver to allow the carrier to move smoothly.

The bolt was also highly modified. Built from a much stronger material from the start, this bolt is more expensive to manufacture due to the higher quality material and more expensive to produce due to tools wearing sooner from cutting the harder material.

The cartridge case base is fully supported on the LMT bolt contrary to the cut out of material, which is where the extractor fits onto the bolt on the standards.

The extractor has been completely redesigned. The “lobster tail” extractor utilizes two long extractor springs cut on a slight angle that give much more extractor force and the springs last significantly longer than the standard. The standard spring has very little room for improvement due to the short spring compartment between the bolt and carrier. The use of two long springs is a great enhancement. The extractor claw has been redesigned to grip more surface of the cartridge case rim as well as the hook is much stronger than the standard.

The bolt has a proprietary nickel-type finish to aid in function and to make cleaning easier. The bolt is both proof tested and magnetic particle inspected to insure against stress fractures in the material. The locking lugs have rounded edges instead of squared off edges.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=3188

ETA: was apparently composing as taekwondopreacher was posting. :rolleyes:

ABNAK
08-30-17, 04:43

That is about the best description of the LMT E-BCG that I've read. IIRC it's from Chris Bartocci. Even though it is the semi carrier when I saw it for sale for $209 I jumped on it.

RobertTheTexan
08-30-17, 06:41
I didn't want to quote and repost the entirety of these two outstanding posts...

It's all part of the picture. BLUF:it seems to improve most systems....

It's not a miracle worker, but using the E-carrier in conjunction with the A5 system, a properly gassed barrel with proper dwell time, the right muzzle device, etc, adds up very nicely in most cases. For many of the other cases, it can still be used as an improvement in the right combo. Just my .02$

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu Sensei
This is a great functional explanation of something I've just taken for granted as "It just works better than the standard, but had no basis for why."

Here you go, this is a pretty good explanation as to why the lmt e-bcg was developed, what it does and how it does it:

In the mid 1990s, SOCOM.......

ETA: was apparently composing as taekwondopreacher was posting. :rolleyes:

Thank you so very much for this explanation 26. Now I understand the various differences I've noticed between my LMT E-Carriers and the standard L7D3A FA carriers that I usually purchase. I would have loved to have been in the room during all the design sessions where Mr. Lewis and his team were figuring all this out.

It's is posts like these two that remind me why I joined M4C over the many other AR related forums and just how fortunate we are to have the knowledgeable users we have.

SomeOtherGuy
08-30-17, 10:02
I'm a noob, but why does the LMT get so much love?
I bought three nitride'd Toolcraft bcg ($80 each) and they're properly staked and the finish is clean and slick. Lifetime warranty. WHat does LMT get for the money? How much do they cost?

Toolcraft is a solid, well-made BCG at a great price. I have a couple in use, and several more as spares.

LMT gets "the love" for a lot of reasons. The benefits of their enhanced carrier are well detailed in the other posts above mine. Apart from that, even their basic BCG is very well made, with a durability enhancement to the bolt (a radius where the lugs meet the bolt body, which reduces the chance of cracking) and generally top-quality construction. LMT is one of the few companies that has significant military contracts (mostly or all foreign, but UK and NZ for .308 rifles and NZ for their new 5.56 standard infantry rifle) and, like the few other companies with significant military contracts, they have competent engineers in-house so their most basic products are quality and they regularly make real improvements, not just clones.

Hulkstr8
08-30-17, 10:17
Thanks to all the knowledge and responses. I def don't feel bad about my Toolcraft bcgs, but the LMT enhanced bcg will now be on my radar. Makes me wish I had just bought a production gun instead of building my first ARs.

How much does an LMT enhanced bcg run for? Where does everybody pick them up at?

Thanks again, I love the knowledge bombs.

pinzgauer
08-30-17, 15:20
Toolcraft is a solid, well-made BCG at a great price.

I don't think most people realize who toolcraft is and who they build for. Just a small hint: They probably build more BCG's that go in harms way than any of the mfg's discussed in this thread.

No slight to BCM, but I chuckle a bit at the "Just buy a BCM BCG" stuff somehow implying toolcraft is inferior because it's less expensive.

I use mostly LMT, DD, and Colt carbines and parts, but have settled on toolcraft BCG's as they are as good at $90 than the $169 DD's and BCM.

Not that I think toolcraft is better, just as good and a proven performer at almost half the price

LMT gets "the love" for a lot of reasons. The benefits of their enhanced carrier are well detailed in the other posts above mine. Apart from that, even their basic BCG is very well made, with a durability enhancement to the bolt (a radius where the lugs meet the bolt body, which reduces the chance of cracking) and generally top-quality construction.

All true, and it's not just snake oil, the E carrier and bolt are designed to address very specific issues. And do so. But they are also almost $300. There's a couple of applications I'm considering them for, but for now I'm going with true mil-spec, made by a true mil contractor in most cases. And save enough to buy 1/3 case of ammo doing so over the DD/BCM.

LMT is one of the few companies that has significant military contracts (mostly or all foreign, but UK and NZ for .308 rifles and NZ for their new 5.56 standard infantry rifle) and, like the few other companies with significant military contracts, they have competent engineers in-house so their most basic products are quality and they regularly make real improvements, not just clones.

Most are not aware of this aspect of LMT, probably the largest AR mil contract provider outside of Colt/FN WW. Not only NZ 5.56, but also 7.62 similar to the brit L129 rifles. KAC might be up there with them, certainly in $$$ if not units. And specifically, they beat out HK, Colt, FN, etc.

But even less known is LMT's significant and ongoing contributions to the AR-15/M4 state of the art through contracts and responses through SOCOM, Crane, etc. KAC has larger contracts, and rules in the 7.62 AR-10 pattern space. But LMT has probably contributed more to M4 enhancements that actually made it into the hands of mainstream warfighters. ANd has left their mark on the 7.62/AR-10 pattern rifles as well.

OP, you had two good choices. Either are good to go. I'd use the LMT E BCG in whichever carbine would benefit from the improvements to gas/operation.

ScottsBad
08-30-17, 15:53
Actually, I'm not sure ToolCraft makes the Bolt. They make the carriers, and supply bolts IIRC from other manufacturers. BTW there are different grades of bolts, not every C158 bolt is manufactured to the same tolerances, heat treat, and QC.

Anyway, I think BCM and LMT supply some of the best BCGs, but my current favorite standard BCG is the Daniel Defense. They are beautifully machined and finished. DD makes them in house which is pretty unusual these days.

A little while back I got a notification from LMT that they had their Enhanced semi-auto ON SALE for $203 (usually the same price as the Auto enhanced). Only difference is .2 ounces in carrier weight and no support for auto operation. I bought two, just for grins. The enhanced BCG has some significant differences in the carrier and bolt, but I would not pay over $300 for one.

Here is the way I look at it. You can buy a BCM BCG for $169 and a spare BCM bolt for $89 totaling less than the cost of a LMT Enhanced BCG. Then you just put the spare bolt and a little squeeze packet of lube in your grip. If the bolt fails just replace it with the one in your grip. You can do the same thing if you are running a ToolCraft, just buy a spare bolt.

I like the LMT Enhanced, but I don't think its going to do much to make my already 100% reliable rifles with BCM or DD BCGs more reliable for the types of shooting I do, or that 98% of us do. Especially, if your rifle is set up right, you maintain it, and you use good ammo/mags.

pinzgauer
08-30-17, 16:30
Actually, I'm not sure ToolCraft makes the Bolt. They make the carriers, and supply bolts IIRC from other manufacturers. BTW there are different grades of bolts, not every C158 bolt is manufactured to the same tolerances, heat treat, and QC.

Anyway, I think BCM and LMT supply some of the best BCGs, but my current favorite standard BCG is the Daniel Defense. They are beautifully machined and finished. DD makes them in house which is pretty unusual these days.

Fair enough on all. And the toolcraft site now only references making the carriers for the gov and OEM's. Yet multiple reports of deployed shooters (Some even on this site) receiving bolts and BCG's while deployed in toolcraft bags. So who knows. I'm going to try to find out, just curious. And for sure, the carrier is not the critical part.

As to DD, they do make a beautiful BCG and when I could buy them for $119-129 I did. But will say, side by side, the nitrided toolcraft I have is just as pretty/well machined. I do think the coatings make them look nicer, so it's probably not a fair comparison. And I've not done any dimensional checking.

Next time I have them out I should be able to do a comparison on recent Colt (with white dot bolt) / DD / Toolcraft. Not that the aesthetics really matter.

ScottsBad
08-31-17, 00:27
Fair enough on all. And the toolcraft site now only references making the carriers for the gov and OEM's. Yet multiple reports of deployed shooters (Some even on this site) receiving bolts and BCG's while deployed in toolcraft bags. So who knows. I'm going to try to find out, just curious. And for sure, the carrier is not the critical part.

As to DD, they do make a beautiful BCG and when I could buy them for $119-129 I did. But will say, side by side, the nitrided toolcraft I have is just as pretty/well machined. I do think the coatings make them look nicer, so it's probably not a fair comparison. And I've not done any dimensional checking.

Next time I have them out I should be able to do a comparison on recent Colt (with white dot bolt) / DD / Toolcraft. Not that the aesthetics really matter.

Yeah, it is unclear to me, but I think I read somewhere that ToolCraft can supply whatever bolt the customer wishes (speaking of volume sales I believe). The thing that is nice about buying from DD, BCM, LMT, or other QUALITY companies, is that they have a big incentive to provide consistent quality parts because they charge a premium and live by their reputation. If reliability is really important then buying from a company that has an incentive to provide consistent reliability should be a top priority. If you just want to build a thrasher beater plinker then it matters much less.

Looks have little to do with actual quality. I was simply pointing out the DD BCG is beautifully machined and made in-house. DDs reputation is solid. I bought two of them in about June I guess and was very impressed with them. I have several BCM BCGs which have worn very well. An old Noveske, two recently acquired LMT Enhanced BCGs, a Colt BCG, a Midwest Industries BCG, a crappy PSA BCG, a Faxon (recently purchased Nitrided BCG), a generic BCG purchased from Weapons World, and a Rifle Gear branded BCG. I've compared them all closely, the PSA was by far the worst. I actually had to replace parts on the bolt and the staking is horrible. It has been relegated to the junk drawer. I have several more BCGs than rifles.

There have been questions about how well Nitrided BCGs will hold up because the process is a bit hairy and can F with the bolt's heat treatment. I believe many (most?) nitrided bolts are 9310, but I could be wrong. I'm interested to try out my Faxon nitrided bolt in a lighter weight Faxon build I'm working on. It won't be one of my GoTo rifles however.

Good luck.

dale.labs.5
09-03-17, 04:52
i run 2 american made black nitride BCG's from sanders armory! would not buy anything else

Iraqgunz
09-03-17, 05:02
Toolcraft does not make the bolt.

Iraqgunz
09-03-17, 05:06
SIONICS NP3 BCG- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/bolt-carrier-group-components/31-bolt-carrier-group-np3-coated-carrier-bolt-and-cam-pin.html

SIONICS Standard BCG (On Sale)- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/bolt-carrier-group-components/147-bolt-carrier-group-np3-coated-carrier-bolt-and-cam-pin.html

hdrolling
09-03-17, 07:50
SIONICS NP3 BCG- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/bolt-carrier-group-components/31-bolt-carrier-group-np3-coated-carrier-bolt-and-cam-pin.html

SIONICS Standard BCG (On Sale)- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/bolt-carrier-group-components/147-bolt-carrier-group-np3-coated-carrier-bolt-and-cam-pin.html

Is that 4-6 weeks ship time accurate?

pinzgauer
09-03-17, 08:17
Toolcraft does not make the bolt.
Yep, I called them last week to ask. They do not disclose who makes their bolts, but when asked did confirm that the bolts they use are full mil spec. Also when I asked if they ever sold complete bcg's to DOD, she indicated they have a client that does using their carrier.

I did not play 20 questions on batch testing, Etc.

veeklog
09-03-17, 11:39

If the Sionics BCG's are as good as their barrels, I will be ordering one as a spare. Very happy with Sionics, and probably buy a NP3 coated one

hdrolling
09-03-17, 11:46
If the Sionics BCG's are as good as their barrels, I will be ordering one as a spare. Very happy with Sionics, and probably buy a NP3 coated one

I just did a couple days ago and got a 4-6 week back-order for the NP3. Hopefully this is just an estimate.

AndyLate
09-03-17, 12:44
I consider the @ $100 standard Sionics BCG a bargain and snatched one up.

Andy

P.S. I apologize for helping the thread drift.

Sean W.
09-03-17, 14:14
Isn't LMT's Enhanced bolt made from Aermet 100?

LMT would be my first choice over any bolt.

Iraqgunz
09-03-17, 23:08
Yes, and it's mostly because we were just awarded a contract by the City of St. George for 115 rifles and an add-on order from another nearby agency.

I just did a couple days ago and got a 4-6 week back-order for the NP3. Hopefully this is just an estimate.

pag23
09-04-17, 06:25
Yes, and it's mostly because we were just awarded a contract by the City of St. George for 115 rifles and an add-on order from another nearby agency.

Glad to see you guys are growing your business!

Iraqgunz
09-05-17, 02:00
That's correct. I know the vendor and I am 98% certain it is not being HP tested. I have seen the carriers in the system and in MIL bags with their CAGE on it. There was a carrier only and no bolt.

Yep, I called them last week to ask. They do not disclose who makes their bolts, but when asked did confirm that the bolts they use are full mil spec. Also when I asked if they ever sold complete bcg's to DOD, she indicated they have a client that does using their carrier.

I did not play 20 questions on batch testing, Etc.

FaxonNathan
09-05-17, 06:58
Yeah, it is unclear to me, but I think I read somewhere that ToolCraft can supply whatever bolt the customer wishes (speaking of volume sales I believe). The thing that is nice about buying from DD, BCM, LMT, or other QUALITY companies, is that they have a big incentive to provide consistent quality parts because they charge a premium and live by their reputation. If reliability is really important then buying from a company that has an incentive to provide consistent reliability should be a top priority. If you just want to build a thrasher beater plinker then it matters much less.

There have been questions about how well Nitrided BCGs will hold up because the process is a bit hairy and can F with the bolt's heat treatment. I believe many (most?) nitrided bolts are 9310, but I could be wrong. I'm interested to try out my Faxon nitrided bolt in a lighter weight Faxon build I'm working on. It won't be one of my GoTo rifles however.

Good luck.

To paragraph 1 - indeed. The reputation is huge, but we find that reputation follows quality not the other way around. ;)

We've exhaustively tested the nitride on 9310. Nitride does not affect the through-hardened heat treat on 9310 - only the exterior hardness when done correctly.

Enjoy the bolt and carrier!

Pappabear
09-05-17, 21:05
Im a LMT fanboy, but their are a lot of god products in the AR world. LMT for the bolt if nothing else.

dale.labs.5
09-17-17, 05:18
black nitride is the best! sanders armory