PDA

View Full Version : HMMWV production

Slater
08-29-17, 17:18
The following is from today's DoD contract announcements:

AM General LLC, South Bend, Indiana, has been awarded a $2,205,926,405 firm-fixed-price contract for the production of up to 11,560 High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle expanded capacity vehicles, associated optional equipment and contractor-unique spare parts packages for foreign military sales customers worldwide, which will be identified with each order, with the first order being for Afghanistan. One bid was solicited and one bid was received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Feb. 28, 2023. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Warren, Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-17-D-0071).

I thought that Hummer production was on it's last legs (with the JLTV coming on line) but it seems that there's a healthy foreign market for them. And maybe a few residual US orders as well.

soulezoo
08-29-17, 20:22
I'll take one!
Actually, I hated driving them. Too big/wide. Amongst other complaints.
However, I would still take one built to my specs.

Kain
08-29-17, 20:49
I'll take one!
Actually, I hated driving them. Too big/wide. Amongst other complaints.
However, I would still take one built to my specs.

What would your specs be? Honestly curious.
I'd I hit the powerball I'd be in for one or three just for the hell of it and to drive the prius driving college professors nuts.

soulezoo
08-29-17, 21:21
Off the top of my head, it would have to have the Duramax engine with Allison transmission. And power steering and A/C.
After that, winch and clamshell back. As long as I am dreaming, turret on top with a ma deuce and grenade launcher. Side by side baby.

26 Inf
08-29-17, 23:47
Off the top of my head, it would have to have the Duramax engine with Allison transmission. And power steering and A/C.
After that, winch and clamshell back. As long as I am dreaming, turret on top with a ma deuce and grenade launcher. Side by side baby.

Plus a bumper sticker that says I'm NOT a fvcking real estate agent?

That seems to be who drives the civvie ones around here.

Mac5.56
08-30-17, 01:39
The fact that you started this with:

"Actually, I hated driving them. Too big/wide. Amongst other complaints."

Means you've actually driven off of an interstate in the padded little bubble reality that is America, and you know why the Hummer is not ideal.

I'd love to custom build a ton of vehicles, but sometimes bad design is just bad design.

JC5188
08-30-17, 04:20
The following is from today's DoD contract announcements:

AM General LLC, South Bend, Indiana, has been awarded a $2,205,926,405 firm-fixed-price contract for the production of up to 11,560 High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle expanded capacity vehicles, associated optional equipment and contractor-unique spare parts packages for foreign military sales customers worldwide, which will be identified with each order, with the first order being for Afghanistan. One bid was solicited and one bid was received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Feb. 28, 2023. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Warren, Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-17-D-0071).

I thought that Hummer production was on it's last legs (with the JLTV coming on line) but it seems that there's a healthy foreign market for them. And maybe a few residual US orders as well.

Those things are $190k each? Holy shit! Is that with weapons and everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slater
08-30-17, 05:27
That includes "associated optional equipment and contractor-unique spare parts packages".

CPM
09-03-17, 07:27
I would've enjoyed them significantly more had they been provided with an engine that produces more than 150 horsepower. Not many people know how underpowered they are.

El Pistolero
09-03-17, 10:30
I'd like one, but completely stripped down for off roading.

JC5188
09-03-17, 18:27
That includes "associated optional equipment and contractor-unique spare parts packages".

Yeah that makes more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade
09-03-17, 19:17
I thought they sold the assembly line....

Renegade
09-03-17, 19:18
After that, winch and

Mine has all that and more!