PDA

View Full Version : Gen5 Glock 17 Review

Mrgunsngear
08-30-17, 09:30
http://i.imgur.com/GrtSSr8l.jpg

I got the gun in yesterday and headed to the range with it to shoot a quick review.

Changes to the gun from previous generations that I've noticed so far:

-ambi slide release
-o finger grooves
-flared Magwell
-"marksman" barrel
-nDLC finish
-2 pin system rather than 3
-high vis mag followers and the base plate is more rounded than earlier versions
-previous gen mag compatible
-fits holsters from previous generations
-beveled slide (but not frame)

My review with accuracy testing and reliability report:

https://youtu.be/2nWIx53xZmc

ggp2jz
08-30-17, 09:45
Doesnt fit all previous gen holsters

Feline
08-30-17, 09:45
Thanks.

I'll wait a year until the bugs are worked out .

RAM Engineer
08-30-17, 12:05
The Gen5 has less in common with the MHS submission than it does the 17M/19M FBI guns.

Also, contract award protests don't get "worked out in court". The GAO reviews and decides.

Det-Sog
08-30-17, 12:16
Thanks. I'll wait a year until the bugs are worked out .

If Sig hasn't fixed my $#%@! P320 by then, I'll trade it for that Gen-5. I'm tempted to just do it now.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-30-17, 12:50
I always enjoy your reviews. You are always a gentleman but aren't a shill either.

Doc Safari
08-30-17, 13:03
At least they got rid of the finger grooves. Now I have to decide if it's worth replacing my Gen 4 G17. I think I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out too.

TactiCool1976
08-30-17, 14:33
i guess i am lucky i've only had my Gen4 glocks for a couple years... so no need to go out and get a gen 5...

Straight Shooter
08-30-17, 15:02
Am I seeing finish wear on the barrel already in your vid? A member here has reported premature wear on his.
Also- is lockup tighter around the muzzle than on earlier Glocks?
And respectfully... as for the plastic sights, I am GLAD Glock puts on cheap sights, so I don't have to pay for sights I wont be using and can install the sights of MY choice. Ive always felt this was intentional on Glocks part, because of the plethora of sights out now, and done as as a cost saving feature. Am I wrong?
Thanks for your reviews...love your YT & FB channel brother.

PattonWasRight
08-30-17, 15:22
The goatee adds a dash of bad a$$ to ya.

Thanks ... another well done review, you're one of few whose opinions I act on

Arik
08-30-17, 17:02
I got the gun in yesterday and headed to the range with it to shoot a quick review.

-ambi slide release
-o finger grooves
-flared Magwell
-"marksman" barrel
-nDLC finish
-high vis mag followers and the base plate is more rounded than earlier versions

Held one at the store as it had the same canted rear sight. Looked at another one.....same thing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

davidjinks
08-30-17, 17:17
Clear your PM's please.

BuzzinSATX
08-30-17, 17:21
Thanks for the review...I too appreciate your honest, friendly, matter of fact style.

I had a Blue Label G19 Gen 5 reserved to pick up on Friday and told them to return it to stock and sell it. Like others, I'll hold for now...just no reason for me to run out and buy this gun yet. Actually planning on a CZ for my next 9MM purchase.

mbinky
08-30-17, 18:30
Excellent review, thanks! I am curious about the new finish. I understand that it is basically an Ion Bond PVD type coating, but I am wondering if Glock is still treating the metal underneath with a QPQ process (Melonite, Tenifer, etc).

I don't think I like the new baseplates. Not sure why.

militarymoron
08-30-17, 18:43
Good review, Mr G&G. For some reason, I find the sound of crickets/insects in the background of your video very relaxing and pleasant. Reminds me of the outdoors and woods.

MeanCarbine
08-30-17, 19:08
Do you like it better than your RTF2 G17?

M4arc
08-30-17, 19:34
Great review and video! Probably the only YouTube review I didn't skip ahead on.

I'm definitely interested in the Gen5 G17 but I still think I'll wait a little bit.

Wake27
08-30-17, 22:24
Excellent review, thanks! I am curious about the new finish. I understand that it is basically an Ion Bond PVD type coating, but I am wondering if Glock is still treating the metal underneath with a QPQ process (Melonite, Tenifer, etc).

I don't think I like the new baseplates. Not sure why.

I'm pretty sure he answered that exact question in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightchief
08-30-17, 23:19
I have read the Gen 5 has more of an undercut on the trigger guard. Mr. GNG, (et al) Did you notice this by chance? Great reviews as always.

NC

MSparks909
08-31-17, 00:16
I bought both a G17 G5 and G19 G5 with Ameriglo's today. Undercut is the same as the previous gens. Not cut any higher.

One thing I did find interesting is Glock changed their rail cut from the "Universal/Glock" size to "1913 Picatinny" spec on these guns. They never mentioned this in their press release and I haven't seen anybody mention it yet. But the TLR-1/1913 mount from my HK P30 mounts right up and fits perfect on both the 17 and 19 G5s.

Wake27
08-31-17, 03:20
I have read the Gen 5 has more of an undercut on the trigger guard. Mr. GNG, (et al) Did you notice this by chance? Great reviews as always.

NC

I'm pretty damn positive he addressed that also. Did you guys listen to the review? Or am I imagining things?

nightchief
08-31-17, 03:50
I'm pretty damn positive he addressed that also. Did you guys listen to the review? Or am I imagining things?

I just watched it again. More carefully this time. If it was mentioned, I missed it a second time.

mbinky
08-31-17, 04:36

Yes, he mentioned the finish. And other reviewers have said something different. So I suppose until we hear from Glock we will never know.

Wake27
08-31-17, 04:38
I just watched it again. More carefully this time. If it was mentioned, I missed it a second time.

Could've sworn he said it was exactly the same, but he didn't notice the Glock knuckle issue due to the lack of finger grooves forcing his hand into the trigger guard. I'm watching so much on them that I may have gotten confused where I heard that though.

brianc142
08-31-17, 05:47
Great review as always brother.

phixion
08-31-17, 09:46
While I don't have the necessary guns to compare, I do believe the trigger guard is undercut compared to Gen 3/4 guns; however, I appears similar to the undercut profile on the Gen 2.

Evel Baldgui
08-31-17, 09:51
I've been quite satisfied with my Gen3/Gen4 G19 and G17's, so maybe wait for a gen 9 :-)

MSparks909
08-31-17, 10:53
While I don't have the necessary guns to compare, I do believe the trigger guard is undercut compared to Gen 3/4 guns; however, I appears similar to the undercut profile on the Gen 2.

It's not undercut anymore than previous Glocks. I spent quite a while comparing my Gen4 17 and Gen5 17 side by side last night.

Watrdawg
08-31-17, 10:58
Looks like I'll be waiting a bit to purchase another G19. Great review and thanks for the objective info

.XL
08-31-17, 11:23
Thanks for your review. Now, selling my Gen3... lol

Mrgunsngear
08-31-17, 11:47
Am I seeing finish wear on the barrel already in your vid? A member here has reported premature wear on his.
Also- is lockup tighter around the muzzle than on earlier Glocks?
And respectfully... as for the plastic sights, I am GLAD Glock puts on cheap sights, so I don't have to pay for sights I wont be using and can install the sights of MY choice. Ive always felt this was intentional on Glocks part, because of the plethora of sights out now, and done as as a cost saving feature. Am I wrong?
Thanks for your reviews...love your YT & FB channel brother.

Yes, it's just a byproduct of use I suppose. I don't know of many semi-autos that don't show wear after a few hundred rounds. Thanks.

Feldgrun
08-31-17, 13:19
I had a Blue Label G19 Gen 5 reserved to pick up on Friday and told them to return it to stock and sell it.

What are the Blue Label Gen 5 Glocks selling for now? Still $425?

turnburglar
08-31-17, 13:48
Great review as always mike!

Question: Do you think the gen 5 action spring is backwards capable with the Gen 3? I have to change my spring in the next 2k rounds and wouldn't mind a timing upgrade as I get the occasional stove pipe on WWB and old mags.

BuzzinSATX
08-31-17, 16:56

I have always paid $398 for blue labels and this gun is same price as those.

FTR, I do hear that $425 number through out a lot. That's about what my cost is OTD ($398.20 + 8.25% tax = $32.85 sales tax = $331)

rauchman
08-31-17, 19:23
As always, cool review. Always look forward to your take on the latest hotness.

Thought your comments about competitive options was interesting. If you were starting from scratch, would you go G5 G17?

juliet9
08-31-17, 22:06
Flared mag well on the 19 is a no go for me. Made my pinky finger sit weird, so it felt weird.

awdxtc
08-31-17, 22:59
If you were starting from scratch, would you go G5 G17?

That's a pretty tough question, there are a ton of options out there. I guess it depends on what size you are looking for. If you wanted something G19 sized I myself would probably go P10c, there are just so many good choices in that size. I don't own a G17 so this has peaked my interest in getting one.

PaLEOjd
08-31-17, 23:17

My local LE distributor has them priced at $479 with the Ameriglo night sights.
The standard plastic sight models remain $398, like always. Anyone pricing the standard sight models at $425 is making extra money. I've heard that a lot over the years about some of the shops that offer blue label discount.

jpmuscle
08-31-17, 23:55
The standard plastic sight models remain $398, like always. Anyone pricing the standard sight models at $425 is making extra money. I've heard that a lot over the years about some of the shops that offer blue label discount.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkShop local to me said 435$ on blue label. When I objected they said I was wrong. [emoji849]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wake27
09-01-17, 00:48
Shop local to me said 435$ on blue label. When I objected they said I was wrong. [emoji849]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I thought Glock provided a price list so that you could argue that? Or maybe that was CZ...

MountainRaven
09-01-17, 01:15
Blue label pricing (on the shelf) is set by participating retailers and is subject to MAP set by Glock. Obviously, it would be silly to sell a blue label gun at or near retail for red/white label guns, but there's nothing preventing participating dealers from doing so.

So when you go into a shop and ask for blue label pricing and they tell you what they charge... they're correct. Glock may charge you less (and from what I understand, they usually do). Another dealer may charge you less. But that dealer is 100% correct about their blue label pricing.

MAP may have changed on blue label Glocks, but $425-435 sounds about right. $398 sounds about right for a direct order from Glock. From what I understand, LE Dealers are free to use Glock's direct blue label pricing, but all other dealers must abide by MAP or lose the privilege of selling blue label Glocks.

mark5pt56
09-01-17, 03:44

If a dealer isn't an actual LE one, they mark it up that extra amount. Glock doesn't like it but they don't enforce it either. In my area, three choices that make sense. 398 plus tax with a 3 hour round trip, 425 plus tax with no drive but counter monkeys and 2-3 day wait for them to do there jobs or 398 plus a 30 fed ex overnight and 20 transfer and from truck to me if I'm there in 5 minutes. Last two are the best

PatrioticDisorder
09-01-17, 10:59
Great review! I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these, the new barrel seems to be a winner!

MStarmer
09-01-17, 11:33
My three blue label dealers run about the same. $398 for Gen 3, $425 for Gen 4 and Gen 5. More if you want night sights.

Fordtough25
09-01-17, 13:34
I snagged the glock NS equipped 19 today, feels great! Won't have time to shoot it for a bit but dry fire felt great, love the lack of finger grooves. :)

tacticaldesire
09-01-17, 21:20
The equivalent to Toyota releasing a new Camry.

Great video as always.

clb
09-02-17, 07:33
If a dealer isn't an actual LE one, they mark it up that extra amount. Glock doesn't like it but they don't enforce it either. In my area, three choices that make sense. 398 plus tax with a 3 hour round trip, 425 plus tax with no drive but counter monkeys and 2-3 day wait for them to do there jobs or 398 plus a 30 fed ex overnight and 20 transfer and from truck to me if I'm there in 5 minutes. Last two are the best

Actually, 425.00 is the Glock approved blue label price for a blue label DEALER. 398.00 is the price a blue label DISTRIBUTOR can sell to a qualified buyer. Dealers buy their guns from distributors at a slightly higher price than the distributor buys for directly from Glock. Dealers can not purchase directly from Glock, even commercial "stocking dealers".

Approved blue label pricing for the gen 5 guns is exactly the same as all other gens. Commercial pricing is a little different. Gen 5 is higher. Only difference on gen 5 blue label is the Ameriglo option.

Rayrevolver
09-02-17, 11:02
While selling my Gen3 G34 I was asked if the front of my magwell had the big cutout or not. I suppose it was something I didn't realize had changed sometime with Gen 3s? Anyone know the deal?

I did handle a Gen5 G17 and G19 yesterday and noticed the cutout again. I guess when I read "flared" magwell I thought it was around the sides and not the front part.

RHINOWSO
09-02-17, 11:16
Nice, your reviews are always straightforward and transparent - a breath of fresh air in the online Gun Rag world.

Keep it up ! :D

Mrgunsngear
09-03-17, 12:03
As always, cool review. Always look forward to your take on the latest hotness.

Thought your comments about competitive options was interesting. If you were starting from scratch, would you go G5 G17?

I don't think so.

MountainRaven
09-03-17, 12:47
I don't think so.

That begs the question, "If you were starting from scratch, what would you buy?"

I suppose that's a YouTube/Full30 vid, though. :D

GJM
09-03-17, 13:53
While selling my Gen3 G34 I was asked if the front of my magwell had the big cutout or not. I suppose it was something I didn't realize had changed sometime with Gen 3s? Anyone know the deal?

I did handle a Gen5 G17 and G19 yesterday and noticed the cutout again. I guess when I read "flared" magwell I thought it was around the sides and not the front part.

I always preferred the earlier Gen 3 17 pistols with the cut out, and sought them out, as I found them faster to reload. I am told Robert Vogel uses them for the same reason. If you look at a "regular" Glock frame, hitting the front part is often what causes a bungled reload, and if that area is cut away, obviously that helps with an imperfect insertion.

The Gen 5 mag well has a lip around the inside of the circumference that can impede a fast load. I took sandpaper to my 17 and 19, removed that edge, and it makes for a large and forgiving chute. It also seems that the mag well flare helps avoid pinching your palm with a 19 magazine reload, like occasionally happened to me with the earlier generation 19 pistols.

pag23
09-03-17, 20:43
Glad they seemed to have fixed the brass to face issue....

PLCedeno
09-04-17, 06:47
Dry fired both the Gen 5 19 and 17. As far as the triggers are concerned the 19 was clearly much improved. Clean break no creap. Unfortunately the 19 has always been too small for my hands and continues to be. The 17's trigger on this particular gun was mushy. Seems like when making a purchase of a Gen 5 it may be a good idea to try the triggers of all the available models until consistency is worked out. My gun store only had one of each on the day i went.

bigten109
09-04-17, 17:27
Doesn't seem enough of an upgrade if you have a gen4, but if you don't, or first glock...definitely a tempting purchase

G34Shooter
09-04-17, 18:19
Doesn't seem enough of an upgrade if you have a gen4, but if you don't, or first glock...definitely a tempting purchase

Improving potential reliability, durability and precision/accuracy isn't a big upgrade? Tough crowd.

bigten109
09-04-17, 18:25
Improving potential reliability, durability and precision/accuracy isn't a big upgrade? Tough crowd.

potential is the key word. We will see how it pans out in real life use. But I didn't mean it in the way that its not an upgrade. I stated "enough of an upgrade" as in purchasing another gen 5 if we already own a gen 4. After all the G19 is a pretty solid platform already, and I don't see the Gen 5 as having enough for me to either purchase another, or selling off a Gen4 to get a Gen 5 is all.

PatrioticDisorder
09-04-17, 19:13
potential is the key word. We will see how it pans out in real life use. But I didn't mean it in the way that its not an upgrade. I stated "enough of an upgrade" as in purchasing another gen 5 if we already own a gen 4. After all the G19 is a pretty solid platform already, and I don't see the Gen 5 as having enough for me to either purchase another, or selling off a Gen4 to get a Gen 5 is all.

MrGunsNGear tested accuracy in his review, appeared accuracy has been improved. Outside of a single 1,000 round torture test where the gun was dry and dirty to start, no reported malfunctions, we know Glock's MHS model which had many of the same design features was one of 2 pistols (the other being P320) to pass reliability testing. Everyone has commented on the trigger being an improvement (albeit this is subjective) and the control features (no finger grooves requested by a large majority, ambi slide stop, flared mag well, beveled nose) are there.... And also no BTF Issues, I've watched now hundreds of rounds in review vids (probably watched people run 1,500 rounds), all available on YouTube and I've witnessed just a single round hit someone in the face (and it was on the last round of a mag). My G43 which shares many Gen5 upgrades has been BTF free, my Gen4 26 still BTFs with some ammo and my Gen4 19 was only fixed after installing an Apex extractor.

I'd say the Gen5 is a HUGE upgrade, for me it's the Glock I've been dreaming off (minus the cut in the grip of the model 19, that was unnecessary). I won't sell my other Glocks, but I will only buy Gen5s here on out. I think Glock finally achieved "Perfection."

G34Shooter
09-04-17, 19:17

What I posted previously:
"The reliability and precision/accuracy enhancements are worth it to me alone, with most people putting so little rounds through their guns and even less than that carrying many won't see an improvement.

Shooting 1.5" groups at 25 yards or better with good ammo and a good shooter is reported by many reviewers I trust.

The change in the trigger return spring to compress opposed to being stretched is said to increase the lifespan exponentially.

No more broken leaf spring stuck in the frame when the slide lock spring breaks

I paid $400 to have my old Les Baer finished in ionbond DLC, I love that finish.

They increased the dwell time to help with feeding and ejecting by lengthening the slide travel.

The improved materials and engineering allowed them to go back to two pins which was necessary for the ambi slide stop.

But what do I know???"

bigten109
09-04-17, 19:23
Like I said, I'm not sure if the "improved" accuracy will be noted by many, if at all in a meaningful way. Also, I wonder how much they tightened the fit between the slide and the barrel to get this accuracy, or if it truly is getting rid of polygonal rifling (HK seems to do this with no problems in accuracy) with the new rifling, and if this will diminish some of the reliability we have known to love about glocks.

For me, and for many, it probably is, once again, not enough of an upgrade to ditch the Gen 4 for a Gen 5 is all I'm saying. If you are starting from scratch, or you will be making future glock purchases, the Gen 5 is likely the way to go for sure, but I don't see this as some glock perfection.

Also, if it truly is perfection, then why is it that glock took so long to introduce features that have been standard in other reputable brands for years? That is the bigger question for me.

L-2
09-04-17, 20:29
At ~minute 9:00 in Post#1's video, he stated he measured the trigger pull at ~6.5 pounds.
I'm just wondering if a year or so later Glock will issue a different connector to bring the pull down to 5.5 pounds as it did with the G43.

Also, if folks recall, on the Gen4 models, Glock later made a frame change to add the "nubbin" in the rear for the beavertail backstraps to hook onto (and also began including those beavertail backstraps which weren't present in the very beginning of the Gen4). Thinking further, I then wonder if Glock will blend the front of the dustcover to better match the slide's G26ish front profile.

These aren't questions. I'm just thinking out loud.

Rayrevolver
09-05-17, 08:25
I always preferred the earlier Gen 3 17 pistols with the cut out, and sought them out, as I found them faster to reload. I am told Robert Vogel uses them for the same reason. If you look at a "regular" Glock frame, hitting the front part is often what causes a bungled reload, and if that area is cut away, obviously that helps with an imperfect insertion.

The Gen 5 mag well has a lip around the inside of the circumference that can impede a fast load. I took sandpaper to my 17 and 19, removed that edge, and it makes for a large and forgiving chute. It also seems that the mag well flare helps avoid pinching your palm with a 19 magazine reload, like occasionally happened to me with the earlier generation 19 pistols.

Part of this realization was just the fact that I didn't notice the change. My first Glock, a 1991 G20, must have had the cut out. But I was young and shot for only fun then, no classes under my belt and no carrying/sports.

I was taught to put my pointer finger on the top round when I pulled mags and never had any reloading issues with a Gen3 26/34 at the "C" shooter pace.

From a pure handling aspect the Gen5s felt great. The 17/19 triggers were both mushy to me, but I also hated my Gen4 G19 trigger. I swapped a "-" connector and even a whole Gen3 trigger bar and never came to grips with it. Was it over travel??? I don't know. But I had a terrible time with the front sight moving on my presses at speed. I could immediately go back to my G34 and it was solid. Part of the reason I sold the 19.

There is something to be said about trying multiple connectors and I did that with my carry G26. Might be worth it to try multiple Gen5s to get a better feeling trigger out of the box.

bunk22
09-05-17, 12:03
Excellent review, as always. As far as Blue Label, all my local shops who do BL, up charge. Anywhere from $450-475 for a G17/19.

Biggy
09-07-17, 11:42
The cutout on the front strap of my Gen 5 G19 is a non issue for me, no pinching in anyway, and while shooting I seriously don't even know it is there, so I like it just the way it is. YMMV of coarse. My hand size is between normal and large. The main things about the Gen 5 G19 I like is, the sight picture is not disturbed after I press the trigger and the no finger grooves. I don't think the inherent accuracy is any better than later or currently produced Gen 4's, but the hand held practical accuracy is better because of the trigger and to a lesser degree the wider notch rear sight. I personally don't think the barrels are fit any tighter or closer than the current Gen 4's, I will check this later today. Also the rifling type or barrel crown, if its done right is a toss up. Twist rate does matter some though, depending on the bullet weights you are shooting. Also no BTF issues at all through 300rds of good quality 124gr ball ammo. IMHO, as in the past you really need to have run 3000+ rds through your Glock 9 to know for sure if there are no BTF issues. I think *overall* they did fine with the Gen 5 pistols, but there is always room for improvement (I would like the trigger break weight to be about 1.5 lbs lighter) but I still like my CZ P-10c pistol more overall, because to date its been perfect.

VARIABLE9
09-07-17, 12:46
The equivalent to Toyota releasing a new Camry.

Great video as always.

LOL

Yes great review. Some may scoff, but I had been thinking of a new Glock like this one then recently I shot a Beretta APX and liked it.

bigten109
09-07-17, 13:01
The cutout on the front strap of my Gen 5 G19 is a non issue for me, no pinching in anyway, and while shooting I seriously don't even know it is there, so I like it just the way it is. YMMV of coarse. My hand size is between normal and large. The main things about the Gen 5 G19 I like is, the sight picture is not disturbed after I press the trigger and the no finger grooves. I don't think the inherent accuracy is any better than later or currently produced Gen 4's, but the hand held practical accuracy is better because of the trigger and to a lesser degree the wider notch rear sight. I personally don't think the barrels are fit any tighter or closer than the current Gen 4's, I will check this later today. Also the rifling type or barrel crown, if its done right is a toss up. Twist rate does matter some though, depending on the bullet weights you are shooting. Also no BTF issues at all through 300rds of good quality 124gr ball ammo. IMHO, as in the past you really need to have run 3000+ rds through your Glock 9 to know for sure if there are no BTF issues. I think *overall* they did fine with the Gen 5 pistols, but there is always room for improvement (I would like the trigger break weight to be about 1.5 lbs lighter) but I still like my CZ P-10c pistol more overall, because to date its been perfect.

Thank you for the very concise evaluation of all the upgrades for the new gen.
Once again, I think this confirms for me anyways, if you have a gen 4 likely not worth the upgrade for upgrades sake unless you want another glock, as I think a lot of us replace the stock sights anyways (myself with a trijicon HD which has the wider rear notch) and either don't have the BTF issue (like myself) or have replaced it with an apex extractor etc.
But if you are in the market for a new glock...the gen 5 is definitely in the radar unless you get a killer deal on a gen 4

MountainRaven
09-08-17, 00:00
LGS got a few 19s and a 17 in. Played with all of them.

Trigger is markedly better than the pre-Gen5 guns.

Plastic sights are better than the old plastic sights. Still placeholders, but much improved.

The new slide lock doesn't extend out as far as a Vickers part, but it does extend out far enough to be a marked improvement over previous Generations. I'm not sure that a Vickers slide lock will offer sufficient benefit to be worth replacing the factory part - and for me the Vickers slide locks are a must-have on previous Gens.

The edges on the front magazine cutout are a little sharp - but nothing that can't be fixed with a little elbow grease (and I suspect that most of the aftermarket Glock modders will round those edges over).

The front edges on the frame aren't bevelled to match the slide, but that's not a particularly big deal - it's just a minor aesthetic thing.

Overall, I would say that the Gen5 takes care of about 90% of my complaints about Glock pistols, and basically reduces the number of reasons for me to send one off to Agency to almost nil. The few benefits an Agency-massaged Glock would have are not really worth the $1400 squeeze. All I really want is an undercut and forward cocking serrations. Even the trigger is just in "need" of a flat bow, IMO.

So now I'm left with the age-old choice: G19 (smaller, easier to conceal, everybody I know who has a Glock has a 19 - except my dad - and take the higher risk of BTF) or G17 (all my magazines, holsters, and support gear are for the 17. Not that they wouldn't work with the 19)?

Mrgunsngear
09-08-17, 20:46
LGS got a few 19s and a 17 in. Played with all of them.

Trigger is markedly better than the pre-Gen5 guns.

Plastic sights are better than the old plastic sights. Still placeholders, but much improved.

The new slide lock doesn't extend out as far as a Vickers part, but it does extend out far enough to be a marked improvement over previous Generations. I'm not sure that a Vickers slide lock will offer sufficient benefit to be worth replacing the factory part - and for me the Vickers slide locks are a must-have on previous Gens.

The edges on the front magazine cutout are a little sharp - but nothing that can't be fixed with a little elbow grease (and I suspect that most of the aftermarket Glock modders will round those edges over).

The front edges on the frame aren't bevelled to match the slide, but that's not a particularly big deal - it's just a minor aesthetic thing.

Overall, I would say that the Gen5 takes care of about 90% of my complaints about Glock pistols, and basically reduces the number of reasons for me to send one off to Agency to almost nil. The few benefits an Agency-massaged Glock would have are not really worth the $1400 squeeze. All I really want is an undercut and forward cocking serrations. Even the trigger is just in "need" of a flat bow, IMO.

So now I'm left with the age-old choice: G19 (smaller, easier to conceal, everybody I know who has a Glock has a 19 - except my dad - and take the higher risk of BTF) or G17 (all my magazines, holsters, and support gear are for the 17. Not that they wouldn't work with the 19)?

I agree that it's more pronounced for sure but to me that's a knock against it. I'm sure someone will offer an aftermarket slimmed down one though and I'll probably pick one up.

FWIW, John Lovell stopped by and took a spin with my G17 and here's his take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xnHdvO9qg

handyandy
09-08-17, 20:50
Thanks.

I'll wait a year until the bugs are worked out .

I could be wrong, but haven't these been out for a while in the hands of LEO agencies? Not to mention the FBI and MHS competition. Hopefully, they learned from the Gen 4 release issues and did a little more testing this time around.

handyandy
09-08-17, 20:54

-ambi slide release
-o finger grooves
-flared Magwell
-"marksman" barrel
-nDLC finish

One thing I noticed and it is a small thing, but they have smooth triggers on the Gen 5 G19s, which saves me the trouble of having to install a G17 trigger bar. As you mentioned, the slide catch does stick out a tad further than the old ones. This matters to me because I use the slide catch to chamber a round after a reload, so if I don't have to go the Vickers route, which doesn't exist yet, I'm good to go.

rickyc
09-08-17, 23:46
What sights would be your choice? What about the new optional front "glow" sight for the Gen. 5?

Thanks!

BoyScout4Life
09-09-17, 05:28
If Sig hasn't fixed my $#%@! P320 by then, I'll trade it for that Gen-5. I'm tempted to just do it now.

I love Sigs...own 5 all German made...I still don't feel the P320 is ready for BATTLE...

Mrgunsngear
09-09-17, 08:47
What sights would be your choice? What about the new optional front "glow" sight for the Gen. 5?

Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/IM2q6d4l.jpg

Just put the HDs on mine.

TacticalFun
09-09-17, 08:58
I bought the tritium pros. What a nice pistol these are.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

awdxtc
09-09-17, 15:56
I'm going to try Amariglo Spaulding sights on mine....i think.

Biggy
09-09-17, 19:13
Here are some comments and a review on the Gen 5 G17 by Taran Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYitHMrnCQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGdMG7XF6c

Straight Shooter
09-10-17, 07:07
I'm going to try Amariglo Spaulding sights on mine....i think.

Check out the Ameriglo CAP sight...been running on 3 Glocks for years. They ROCK.

fivepointoh
09-10-17, 08:53

I've never used them, but one of the few FFL's that offers blue label around my AO wants $440 for basic versions... I need to hit up Copper Custom and see if they do blue label. Not sure why I've never asked them.

Mrgunsngear
09-10-17, 14:34
I've never used them, but one of the few FFL's that offers blue label around my AO wants $440 for basic versions... I need to hit up Copper Custom and see if they do blue label. Not sure why I've never asked them.

Glock has a list of all blue label dealers on their site FWIW

Wake27
09-10-17, 14:44
Here are some comments and a review on the Gen 5 G17 by Taran Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYitHMrnCQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGdMG7XF6c

Damn. That hip shooting is kind of nuts. I like what he did with the frame too.

duece71
09-10-17, 18:04
My Gen 4s run fine, no need for a gen 5 replacement. Decent video as always. If only you could play the star spangled banner with your gong shots. Lol.

fivepointoh
09-10-17, 19:52
Glock has a list of all blue label dealers on their site FWIW

Ya, the $440 one is the one that used to come up. Haven't looked in a long while. Thanks for the reminder/heads up! Now go get an APC 223 or EDC X9 and do some reviews. :p You're one of the few I trust.

hile
09-16-17, 08:28
At present, I don't have a G17, so I think I'll be picking up a G17 Gen 5. I'll probably end up with a Gen4 too because I have a Gen4 threaded barrel around since Brownells had them in stock a while back. I don't see a reason to go replace my Gen4 G19 with a Gen5 yet, but since I haven't replaced the factory sights yet, I did call Ameriglo and ask for the FBI Sights.

whatthepuck
09-18-17, 12:16
Anyone else noticing an "accelerated wear pattern" on the barrel of their gen 5 g19/17? I've got exactly 520rds through my g19, but the wear marks on the barrel look as if it's had many times that number through it. I don't really notice any other excessive wear points other than where the barrel hood meet the inside of the slide after it unlocks from battery during recoil.

From what I can gather, the "wear" is normal in most if not all gen 5 samples. It's just weird to me to see a glock barrel get the Sig smilies after a few hundred rounds, especially with the new finish being one of the gen 5 selling points.

bill530
09-18-17, 13:22
My Gen 5 17 is definitely showing heavier wear on the barrel then the last several Gen 4 pistols I've been around or owned. Round count on mine is 565 rounds. Not sure why.

TacMedic556
09-18-17, 13:30
Has anyone considered costs and or environmental reasons for the change in the Glock finish - with them marketing it as "superior" in order to have it easily digested by consumers? If we look at the history of Glock and the Tennifer finish, it held up incredibly well for a multitude of decades. I cannot recall a Glock with rust or excessive wear on internal parts with the old finish. With regards to the exterior, carry Glocks that myself and others have had and carried for years against sweaty backs and humid days, riding in holsters, again shows little to NO wear or rust.

My understanding is that the process to apply the Tennifer finish is illegal in the United States due to environmental regulations regarding the chemicals involved, thus it was performed overseas. I am just curious if this "new" finish is being used to streamline production where pistols can be finished the same both in the Georgia facility as well as Austria as well as perhaps having some cost savings involved.

After seeing a finish as incredible as the original Glock finish hold up from the 1980's to 2017 with incredible durability, I cannot see a reason to change it. That is my 2 cents and theory on the whole finish idea, after all profit has always been a very motivating factor.

PLCedeno
09-18-17, 16:40
Has anyone considered costs and or environmental reasons for the change in the Glock finish - with them marketing it as "superior" in order to have it easily digested by consumers? If we look at the history of Glock and the Tennifer finish, it held up incredibly well for a multitude of decades. I cannot recall a Glock with rust or excessive wear on internal parts with the old finish. With regards to the exterior, carry Glocks that myself and others have had and carried for years against sweaty backs and humid days, riding in holsters, again shows little to NO wear or rust.

My understanding is that the process to apply the Tennifer finish is illegal in the United States due to environmental regulations regarding the chemicals involved, thus it was performed overseas. I am just curious if this "new" finish is being used to streamline production where pistols can be finished the same both in the Georgia facility as well as Austria as well as perhaps having some cost savings involved.

After seeing a finish as incredible as the original Glock finish hold up from the 1980's to 2017 with incredible durability, I cannot see a reason to change it. That is my 2 cents and theory on the whole finish idea, after all profit has always been a very motivating factor.

Incredibly astute. The finish on the Gen 4 that resembles Parkerizing does not old up as well as the original Tenifer. We can only conclude that the new finish is better only in comparison to the one we have seen in the last couple of years but not compared to the original.

jstrange
09-18-17, 17:22
Anyone know if the Gen 4 and 5 share the same extractor? I want to get a 17 MOS, but don't want to wait for a Gen 5 version if the 4 is GTG.

TacMedic556
09-18-17, 18:27
Incredibly astute. The finish on the Gen 4 that resembles Parkerizing does not old up as well as the original Tenifer. We can only conclude that the new finish is better only in comparison to the one we have seen in the last couple of years but not compared to the original.

The GEN 3's all had Tennifer am I right? I have a Gen 3 19 made in 2009 or 2010 I believe and its slide is BLACK and my newest Gen 3 from this year has a more gray look to it. Both are Austrian production.

PLCedeno
09-19-17, 05:03
The GEN 3's all had Tennifer am I right? I have a Gen 3 19 made in 2009 or 2010 I believe and its slide is BLACK and my newest Gen 3 from this year has a more gray look to it. Both are Austrian production.
They did until the new finish was mandated. Not sure of the year.

Big A
09-19-17, 07:31

They did until the new finish was mandated. Not sure of the year.

The black surface coating you see is not Tenifer. Tenifer is applied to the metal via a bathing process and then the surface finish we see is applied afterwards. The surface finish can and will wear but your gun shouldn't rust.

PatrioticDisorder
09-19-17, 14:30
Anyone know when Gen5 blue labels are supposed to start shipping?

EzGoingKev
09-19-17, 15:11
From what I can gather, the "wear" is normal in most if not all gen 5 samples. It's just weird to me to see a glock barrel get the Sig smilies after a few hundred rounds, especially with the new finish being one of the gen 5 selling points.
I had seen a pic of Gen5 barrel and it looked like the coating was excessively warn. Until reading your post I thought it might just have been crud on the barrel.

I am not sure why there would be wear, the DLC coating is extremely tough.

Straight Shooter
09-19-17, 15:35
I had seen a pic of Gen5 barrel and it looked like the coating was excessively warn. Until reading your post I thought it might just have been crud on the barrel.

I am not sure why there would be wear, the DLC coating is extremely tough.

This is what I was asking on page one of this thread. All the Gen guns Ive seen pics of, had barrel wear well under 1,000 rounds. I was wondering what was up with that...apparently MrG&G didnt think it to be a problem. I just pulled out my MONDO well used G19 and it has nowhere near the wear on it after many thousands of rounds that that Gen 5 barrel does.

EzGoingKev
09-19-17, 15:45
I have worked on motorcycle forks with the DLC coating on them. After thousands of street miles and/or seasons of racing they show very little wear, just some light scratching.

I have worked on engines with DLC coated wrist pins and the coating holds up. They will be a pattern on the pin but it has not worn through the DLC treatment.

dirkmagurk
09-19-17, 16:08
I have 600 rounds through my gen 5 19 and it does have the smiley type wear on the barrel. This is very similar to my gen 2 and older gen 3's barrel finish and wear. I'm not concerned with this at all considering I've never had an issue with rust forming on any of my Glocks regardless of the finish. If the gen 5's had a trigger like a well broken in gen 3 and rtf2 texturing they would be almost perfect for me.

EzGoingKev
09-19-17, 16:11
Can some of you guys post pics of what your barrels look like with a round count?

whatthepuck
09-19-17, 17:12
Here's my gen 5 g19 barrel with 520rds through it next to a gen 4 g19 barrel with around 2500rds through it:

)gen 5 barrel on left in first pic, on bottom in 2nd)

PaLEOjd
09-19-17, 19:36
Anyone know when Gen5 blue labels are supposed to start shipping?

My local LE distributor sent email notification on August 30th stating Gen5's were in stock and available. I was at the shop this past Wed. and they have both G19' and G17's in stock and stacked to the roof in the warehouse.
Not sure who you are looking to order from in your specific area but if there is a blue label distributor, they should have had them in stock already. Have you tried a few different shops or any distributors at all?

Doc Safari
09-21-17, 16:03
Looking at some photos on the net here and there the Gen 5's overall grip looks fatter, is it?

Biggy
09-21-17, 16:38
Looking at some photos on the net here and there the Gen 5's overall grip looks fatter, is it?

I don't know about the Gen 5 G17 but measuring my Gen4 G19 and Gen 5 G19's grip in four places with my dial calibers, their thicknesses and frontstrap to backstrap measurements are the same.

MountainRaven
09-22-17, 22:19
From today's m4c mailer, some of the thoughts of Ken Hackathorn:

"Now, some 35 years later and much improvement, the Glock pistol is without doubt one of the best sidearms on this planet. Perfection clearly is a continuing process as we have just seen the introduction of the Gen 5 M17 &19. I have one of each and think these are there(sic) best Glocks ever made."

And,

"I know there are a lot of new fancy blasters hitting the market; however, until they get time to mature I’ll stick with my 1911s, Beretta M92s, S&W pre 1980 wheel guns, and, if anything new, it will likely say Gen 5 on the slide."

jedi391
09-23-17, 10:45
I would agree with Hack. I have never been a Glock fan but the 4th Gen was close but not close enough to make me keep one. The 5th Gen is the winner and I have a 17 now. The main reasons are the frame texture/lack of finger grooves, the improved trigger, and in my hands increased accuracy. They aren't huge improvements but they were big enough to finally bring me into the Glock family.

RCK
09-26-17, 02:13
'❤️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texaspoff
09-26-17, 07:57
I wonder now since you have someone of Hackathorn's experience and professionalism praising the 5th Gen is some of the detractors are going to switch sides now...:) The ebb and flow of the commercial gun market..

TXPO

clb
09-26-17, 08:07
My local LE distributor sent email notification on August 30th stating Gen5's were in stock and available. I was at the shop this past Wed. and they have both G19' and G17's in stock and stacked to the roof in the warehouse.
Not sure who you are looking to order from in your specific area but if there is a blue label distributor, they should have had them in stock already. Have you tried a few different shops or any distributors at all?

Most Blue Label distributors have not received their guns yet. Only the top 10 distributors in the country were allowed to order guns before the release date. There is only 1 that I am aware of that was allowed to pre order even though they were not top 10, but that was because they are owned by a related large manufacturer of support gear and equipment. Most of the Blue label distributors should start receiving their initial orders of gen 5 guns in the next week or 2, providing the production dates Glock is providing are correct.

PattonWasRight
09-26-17, 09:58
The Gen 5 makes me appreciate my Gen 2 more

Doc Safari
09-26-17, 10:03
The Gen 5 makes me appreciate my Gen 2 more

I'm hip to that.

We also know that typical of Glock, the early buyers are the Beta Testers. I want a Gen 5 Glock 17 so bad I'm getting one of those four-hour-long erections, but the cynical gun buyer in me says, "Wait a few months to see if it turns out like the early Glock 42's."

PattonWasRight
09-26-17, 10:07
I'm hip to that.

We also know that typical of Glock, the early buyers are the Beta Testers. I want a Gen 5 Glock 17 so bad I'm getting one of those four-hour-long erections, but the cynical gun buyer in me says, "Wait a few months to see if it turns out like the early Glock 42's." LoL! Yeah, whoa there buddy ... give it a full 90 days before you let your 'other head' take over

dirkmagurk
09-27-17, 20:47
After getting some decent time running my gen 5 19, about 1500 rounds of various ammo, I can say it is my favorite generation to date. The trigger is a definite improvement in my opinion, and it is smoothing out and becoming even better the more I shoot it. I really appreciate the lack of finger grooves since I remove them on all my gen 3's anyway. As far as accuracy goes I do notice a slight improvement when shooting slowly for tight groups. That might be due to the trigger though since I can break it without the front sight moving at all. As for the frame not being beveled to match the slide, I never would've noticed that myself and see it as a non issue. I can't tell any difference between holstering a gen 3 or a gen 5 and if I wanted a pretty pistol I wouldn't have bought a Glock.

davidjinks
09-28-17, 14:58
Where are you getting your information from? I had my Gen 5 19 two days after they were "officially" released. Blue label gun, Ameriglo Sights, from a very small local gunshop.

Most Blue Label distributors have not received their guns yet. Only the top 10 distributors in the country were allowed to order guns before the release date. There is only 1 that I am aware of that was allowed to pre order even though they were not top 10, but that was because they are owned by a related large manufacturer of support gear and equipment. Most of the Blue label distributors should start receiving their initial orders of gen 5 guns in the next week or 2, providing the production dates Glock is providing are correct.

TacticalFun
09-28-17, 14:59
Where are you getting your information from? I had my Gen 5 19 two days after they were "officially" released. Blue label gun, Ameriglo Sights, from a very small local gunshop.I also have my blue label with ameri glos. One day after release.

Slater
09-28-17, 15:02
A Gen 5 is definitely on my "buy" list. I figure I'll wait 6 months or so to make sure no hidden glitches pop up. Or am I just being too cautious?

ramairthree
09-28-17, 16:33
Buy it now.
It's just one gun if it turns out to have issues.
Easy fix.

It's not like anyone would be dumb enough to outfit an entire department, agency, or service with a gun that ended up having a bunch of issues. That is not such an easy fix.

clb
09-28-17, 17:41
Where are you getting your information from? I had my Gen 5 19 two days after they were "officially" released. Blue label gun, Ameriglo Sights, from a very small local gunshop.

I am an LE sales manager and firearms inventory manager for a Glock Blue Label distributor.

Some of the top 10 distributors ARE Blue Label distributors. There were Blue Label guns out there on the day of release.

If you were not a top 10 distributor, except for the one I already stated as exempted, you didn't have guns on the day of release.

Your local gun shop is likely an authorized Blue Label DEALER, and bought them from one of the top 10 distributors.

black22rifle
10-19-17, 16:07
Are the gen 5's frame size the same as a gen 4 or gen 3?

JHC
10-20-17, 09:05
It's not like anyone would be dumb enough to outfit an entire department, agency, or service with a gun that ended up having a bunch of issues. That is not such an easy fix.

Awesome! :D

sundance435
10-20-17, 10:41
Buy it now.

So you've never worked in law enforcement...

PaLEOjd
10-20-17, 13:24

The undercut is identical to Gen3/4 models. I've measured my G17's and they are the same. It may appear to be cut a little higher due to the removal of the finger grooves, but it's the same.

PaLEOjd
10-20-17, 13:27
Are the gen 5's frame size the same as a gen 4 or gen 3?

Frame size is the same as previous models, with the Gen.5 going back to a 2 pin set. Gen.3/4 have 3 pins. You would not be able to swap frames between those generations.

Doc Safari
10-20-17, 13:37
Since this is a review thread I'll just give a brief summary of what I experienced firing my new G17 Gen 5 for the first time.

1. The sights seem "different." I can't tell if they are taller than OEM Glock sights from previous generations or if there is just more light on either side of the front sight when pointing, or what. Since my other Glocks wear XS Big Dot sights I can't compare.

2. The trigger is smoother but still has that two-stage feel (thank God).

3. I like the looks of the new beveled slide, not that something like that is a big whoop to a fighting tool.

4. I noticed no difference in recoil or any other firing criterion.

Bottom line: I prefer the gun with the rough finish and no finger grooves. The orange mag followers are definitely a small "plus".

Would I rush out and trade off all my previous generation Glocks to get Gen 5's? No.

Will there be more Gen 5's in my collection? Probably.

Time will tell if the design changes are a good thing or not.

Get one if you want, or wait to see if the Gen 5's have teething problems like the Glock 42's and early Gen 4's. It's your call.

But it's not worth taking out a loan or liquidating the rest of your gun collection just to get Gen 5 Glocks.

I call them an "evolution" but not a "revolution."

clarkz71
12-09-17, 08:46
https://i.imgur.com/IM2q6d4l.jpg

Just put the HDs on mine.

What part number for the sights?

Several sources say gen 3/4 sight don't fit and gen 5 is different
including Glock customer service.

Clearly that's wrong as you installed them.
Was the press fit tighter or more loose the a gen 4 ?

TacticalFun
12-09-17, 08:51

What part number for the sights?

Several sources say gen 3/4 sight don't fit and gen 5 is different
including Glock customer service.

Clearly that's wrong as you installed them.
Was the press fit tighter or more loose the a gen 4 ?The gen 4 sights fit just fine. Same exact dovetail.

clarkz71
12-09-17, 09:06
The gen 4 sights fit just fine. Same exact dovetail.

That's what I thought, check out this e-mail from Ameriglo
who supply Glock with night sights on the gen 5.

This looks real bad for the supplier to Glock

Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:40 PM
To: CLARK ROSENCRANS
Subject: RE: Gen 5 Glock sights

Hello Clark,

Thank you for your interest in AmeriGlo Firearm Sights. The sights for the Gen 4 Glock will not work properly on the Gen 5 pistols. We are currently making sights for the Gen 5 Glock models and should have them completed within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for your patience and support of AmeriGlo.

Best regards,

Myles Waterman
National Sales Manager
mwaterman@ameriglo.com
www.ameriglo.com
AmeriGlo LLC

TacticalFun
12-09-17, 09:08
That's what I thought, check out this e-mail from Ameriglo
who supply Glock with night sights on the gen 5.

This looks real bad for the supplier to Glock

Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:40 PM
To: CLARK ROSENCRANS
Subject: RE: Gen 5 Glock sights

Hello Clark,

Thank you for your interest in AmeriGlo Firearm Sights. The sights for the Gen 4 Glock will not work properly on the Gen 5 pistols. We are currently making sights for the Gen 5 Glock models and should have them completed within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for your patience and support of AmeriGlo.

Best regards,

Myles Waterman
National Sales Manager
mwaterman@ameriglo.com
www.ameriglo.com
AmeriGlo LLCI guess thats why i use truglo pros

clarkz71
12-09-17, 09:22
I guess thats why i use truglo pros

Those are the Tritium/Fiber-Optic ones, right? Or is that TFX........

How is the level of brightness in low light?

TacticalFun
12-09-17, 09:22
Those are the Tritium/Fiber-Optic ones, right?

How is the level of brightness in low light?Very bright. I will take a picture when we get home.

clarkz71
12-09-17, 09:42
Very bright. I will take a picture when we get home.

Thank you, I've been going round & round with this and you
are the first one to give me answers.

Also, did they press in tight?

I heard one member say it was a loose fit.

mildot
12-09-17, 10:01
Well I was able to get some "limited" trigger time on a Gen 5 17M, with the AmeriGlo sights, first impressions are good, and I like what I see, & it definitely shoots, well at least for me :)
He's a pic of 2 10 shot groups @ 25yrds, the first one was a little low, but I seemed to correct that on the second.

https://i.imgur.com/6y6s8N5.jpg?1

TacticalFun
12-09-17, 14:29
Thank you, I've been going round & round with this and you
are the first one to give me answers.

Also, did they press in tight?

I heard one member say it was a loose fit.They were tight. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/33aa14afa5ca14ec1ef17df1e6458553.jpg

clarkz71
12-09-17, 14:58
That looks great. Thanks for taking the time.

I did some searching on google and these are definitely top shelf sights.

I will be ordering these for my Gen 5 19, thanks to your help.

mildot
12-09-17, 15:00
Brownells has the "FBI" sights on sale till the end of the year. :)

clarkz71
12-09-17, 15:16
Brownells has the "FBI" sights on sale till the end of the year. :)

More of that gen 4 and gen 5 are different from Brownells

Why is this such an issue with these companies.
Trijicon told me the gen 4 sights fit the gen 5. They already have done it.

https://s7.postimg.org/d6ews8rkr/555.png

TacticalFun
12-09-17, 15:34
That looks great. Thanks for taking the time.

I did some searching on google and these are definitely top shelf sights.

I will be ordering these for my Gen 5 19, thanks to your help.These ones. Tritium pro. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/60fea35fa6a6180e56437992a3e31875.jpg

clarkz71
12-09-17, 17:23
Yep, that's what I found.

https://s7.postimg.org/7tunsbb6z/pro.png

cathellsk
12-09-17, 22:54
There are NO differences in the dovetails or the sights bases between GEN4 or 5 sights. The difference being mentioned is the height of the front sight, it’s taller on the GEN5s. This is also mentioned on both Heinie’s & Dawson Precision’s sites. Something to do with the lockup being different is what they state.

clarkz71
12-10-17, 06:08
Yes, the G17 has a different barrel/locking block.

But from what I've read the G19 is the same.

hile
12-10-17, 06:33
More of that gen 4 and gen 5 are different from Brownells

Why is this such an issue with these companies.
Trijicon told me the gen 4 sights fit the gen 5. They already have done it.

https://s7.postimg.org/d6ews8rkr/555.png

I don't think those are FBI sights. I called Ameriglo asking about FBI sights, and they stated they were (and sent me) GL-846.

EzGoingKev
12-10-17, 08:11
The vast majority of Gen5 shooters are reporting this is the best Glock trigger so far. Glock has changed a lot of parts in this gun. The new trigger is the same design as the Glock 43.

For those that have shot both the 43 and the Gen5, how do they compare?

clarkz71
12-10-17, 08:15
I don't think those are FBI sights.
I called Ameriglo asking about FBI sights, and they stated they were (and sent me) GL-846.

Brownells is implying they are.

https://s33.postimg.org/4mxhna867/fbi.png

12-10-17, 19:43
The vast majority of Gen5 shooters are reporting this is the best Glock trigger so far. Glock has changed a lot of parts in this gun. The new trigger is the same design as the Glock 43.

For those that have shot both the 43 and the Gen5, how do they compare?

The 43 feels more like a Gen4, the 5 is a lot better.

I'm having trouble with both Gen5 19 and 43 trigger bar's finish flaking off causing the trigger to get real gritty and heavy at about 4200 rounds on each.

Ron3
12-11-17, 01:05

I'm having trouble with both Gen5 19 and 43 trigger bar's finish flaking off causing the trigger to get real gritty and heavy at about 4200 rounds on each.

Hm. Never heard of that. I didn't think they had any kind of finish.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-11-17, 01:44
Mine appears to be doing the same thing.

w3453l
12-11-17, 14:13
Mine appears to be doing the same thing.

I've been hearing about this issue more and more. I'm curious if this is an issue with just the Gen 5's, or if this is also something that can affect Gen 3's.

EzGoingKev
12-11-17, 14:15
Any pics of the finish flaking off?

556BlackRifle
12-13-17, 11:43
Any pics of the finish flaking off?

+1 I haven't seen that on mine. Pics would be great.

tom12.7
12-13-17, 17:19
I've seen this on only a few trigger bars over a few generations of many. After the surface finish breaks, steps occur in the base trigger bars. When this happens, the older guns round drop safety detent wouldn't change the trigger pull as much as the newer non round ramped drop detent. Any damage, excess wear, attempted polishing, etc, of that interface on the trigger bar makes that worse. Trigger bars are cheap and easy to replace in the few circumstances that I have been presented to for the few issues for this.

sundance435
12-29-17, 07:58
Picked up my new Gen 5 19 w/ Ameriglo Bold sights last night. I didn't notice until I got home that the front sight was canted every so slightly to the left (rear sights were aligned) to the point where I could see a little of the writing on the right side of the sight in the sight picture. Luckily I have a Glock front sight tool, so with that and a little blue Loctite, I got it to where it looks straight to my eyes. I'll find out this weekend how it shoots.

Also, what's the deal with the new trigger spring? Is it in the trigger mechanism, or is it replaceable individually?

arcticlightfighter
12-29-17, 18:40
I have the Ameriglo Agent sights in my Gen 5 17. Nice sights, low profile with a serrated rear. Both front and rear are etched with date of manufacture ala Trijicon.

Note, the rear was absolutely the TIGHTEST fit I have ever encountered and it definitely requires torque with the sight pusher. I oiled the dovetail first and it was very tight.

Re: corrosion / trigger bar finish

I rebuilt a department issue Gen 4 17 of one of my SWAT officers who resigned recently. The trigger bar was entirely discolored with almost a brown patina, the trigger spring was corroded, the FP spring was corroded and rusty.

There was some surface rest in the FP channel and EDP channel.

Although not flaking off as described with the 43 (although Ive noticed it on my 43) it was the first odd corrosion that was unlike any-other non typical "rust" ive seen on duty guns. Almost like battery acid corrosion ....very odd

Linebacker
12-29-17, 19:07

Albeit expensive, Glocktriggers.com highly polished OEM triggers would alleviate such problems. However, Glocktriggers has not yet received all of the Gen 5 trigger parts from Glock. I would suspect they may, within the next few months.

http://glocktriggers.com/

PLCedeno
02-24-18, 08:37
My GSSF award gun just came in, new Gen5 17's have beveled frame matching the slide. 10 round mag follower is also orange now.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/plcedeno/IMG_3887_zps8nhyqpod.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/plcedeno/media/IMG_3887_zps8nhyqpod.jpg.html)
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/plcedeno/IMG_3886_zpsltwzmz2s.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/plcedeno/media/IMG_3886_zpsltwzmz2s.jpg.html)
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/plcedeno/IMG_3889_zpslemtgaox.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/plcedeno/media/IMG_3889_zpslemtgaox.jpg.html)

arcticlightfighter
03-19-18, 23:59
Put a Gen 3 slide stop in my Gen 5 to fix the problem I was having with the slide locking back on a partial mag. My support hand engages the slide stop by putting upward pressure on it while shooting. Only way I could fix it on the Gen 5.

dpadams6
03-20-18, 18:02
Put a Gen 3 slide stop in my Gen 5 to fix the problem I was having with the slide locking back on a partial mag. My support hand engages the slide stop by putting upward pressure on it while shooting. Only way I could fix it on the Gen 5.
51094The gen 5 is totally not designed for that slide stop. I'm Suprised it works, being there is not the locking block pin on the gen 5, that, that slide stop is designed to go under.

arcticlightfighter
03-20-18, 19:11
Yeah it works perfectly. Im assuming the single pin locking block has different dimensions that allow it to work.

dpadams6
03-21-18, 15:59
I just took a Glock armorer class yesterday and was really impressed with the gen 5. It does appear to be a definite improvement. It's also easier to take apart and put back together then the previous generations.

Texaspoff
03-22-18, 06:27
Yeah it works perfectly. Im assuming the single pin locking block has different dimensions that allow it to work.

Even though the part numbers are different, the locking block is exactly the same in the 4th Gen and 5th Gen G19, and now 5th Gen G17. They deleted the pin hole from the frame, but the channel the pin rides in on the locking block is still there in the 5th Gen. A 4th Gen slide release will work just fine, other than the frame is recessed for the ambi slide release. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I bend it in towards the frame, so that both side are equal, and I can live with it.

Closeup of my 5th Gen locking block. Note channel where on the three pins guns, a pin would be sitting.

https://i.imgur.com/PCrdA2g.jpg

TXPO

L-2
03-22-18, 10:11
To clarify info, the Locking Block part number is 7894 for the G19Gen5, G19Gen4, and later (2013 or newer) G19Gen3 models.

fhk96
03-29-18, 03:53
I’ve only had gen 2 & 3 Glocks. Got a 19x as gift and I was surprised by the recoil impulse as compared to my gen 3 17. Looking forward to gen 5 17! I’d love to see gen5 17L.

T2C
03-31-18, 11:42
Mrgunsngear did a good review of the Glock 17 Gen 5. I appreciate the review, especially the 25 yard group size information.

Yesterday I picked up a Glock 19 Gen 5 and took the cheapest ammunition available online or at the local Walmart to see how well it shoots with ammunition you could buy for at or under $9.00 for a box of 50 rounds. I took the G19 out of the box and fired it without cleaning or lubrication to see if I could make the pistol malfunction. The trigger was a little heavy, but it had a consistent pull through the entire travel. I am a revolver shooter and I thought the OEM trigger was acceptable. A little lubrication should make the trigger feel a little better. The pistol worked flawlessly with all the cheap ammunition.

10 shot groups were fired at a B-27 target at 25 yards. The pistol was rested on sand bags on top of a picnic table.

Load 1 - PMC 124g FMJ, Item # 9G, Made in Mexico, published velocity of 1110 fps.
Group was 3" Wide x 2-3/4" High

Load 2 - Winchester 115g FMJ, Item # USA9MMVP, published velocity of 1190 fps.
Group was 3-1/4" Wide x 2-13/16" High

Load 3 - Federal 115g Aluminum Case, Item # CAL9115200, published velocity of 1145 fps.
Group was 5" Wide x 3" High with an uncalled flyer to the right of the group. 9 shots were inside a 3" concentric group. I think it's safe to say this ammunition should be able to group 5" at 25 yards.

Load 4 - Wolf 115g Steel Case, Military Classic, published velocity of 1234 fps.
Group was 2-1/8" Wide x 5-1/2" High. Shots were evenly disbursed throughout the group. I think it's safe to say this ammunition should be able to group 5-1/2" at 25 yards.

I fired timed drills using Federal aluminum case ammunition and Wolf steel case ammunition. A total of 300 rounds was expended and the G19 fed, fired and functioned flawlessly with the cheap ammunition. Accuracy was better than I expected.

I expect that a Glock 17 Gen 5 would perform just as well with the same cheap ammunition that I tested and often see people bring to handgun classes.

Linebacker
04-04-18, 21:47
Is there any hope that Glock will offer a non-cut out frame? Either as an option or sold as a part? Most annoying.

T2C
04-05-18, 10:23
Is there any hope that Glock will offer a non-cut out frame? Either as an option or sold as a part? Most annoying.

I doubt Glock will offer a non-cut out frame. Pearce sells a magazine base pad that fills in the cut out at the bottom of the front strap. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006081487/pearce-grip-enhancer-magazine-base-pad-glock-compact-full-size

I noticed the cut out when I handled the Glock 19 Gen 5 at the LGS, but did not notice it when live firing at the pistol range.

jschmitt08
04-05-18, 12:15
I doubt Glock will offer a non-cut out frame. Pearce sells a magazine base pad that fills in the cut out at the bottom of the front strap. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006081487/pearce-grip-enhancer-magazine-base-pad-glock-compact-full-size

I noticed the cut out when I handled the Glock 19 Gen 5 at the LGS, but did not notice it when live firing at the pistol range.

My results mirror this. It's really not a big deal.

EzGoingKev
04-05-18, 12:25
I have not handled one yet but am kind of concerned about pinching your finger(s) on a reload with the 19.

jerrysimons
04-10-18, 13:18
I want to like Gen 5 but absolutely despise the front cut out at the bottom of the gen 5 grips. What a dumb solution to the desire to enhance the rarity of stripping stuck magazines free at the expense of something you use every time you hold the gun! It is annoying on the G17.5 but down right obnoxious on the G19.5.

I have seen a couple stipplers who can fill the cut out with a piece of spare back strap and epoxy it in place. What a screw up by Glock and the FBI too if it was done at their request. A simple magazine base plate design could have accomplished the same with out hacking up usable grip space on control surfaces.

TacticalFun
04-10-18, 13:20
I want to like Gen 5 but absolutely despise the front cut out at the bottom of the gen 5 grips. What a dumb solution to the desire to enhance the rarity of stripping stuck magazines free at the expense of something you use every time you hold the gun! It is annoying on the G17.5 but down right obnoxious on the G19.5.

I have seen a couple stipplers who can fill the cut out with a piece of spare back strap and epoxy it in place. What a screw up by Glock and the FBI too if it was done at their request. A simple magazine base plate design could have accomplished the same with out hacking up usable grip space on control surfaces.Gen 2 had the same thing also You can already buy base pads to fill the gap

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180410/150dfa4639f5b2797b3c0fade94d9c7b.jpg

jerrysimons
04-10-18, 13:52
Gen 2 had the same thing also You can already buy base pads to fill the gap

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180410/150dfa4639f5b2797b3c0fade94d9c7b.jpg

They already fixed it 2 generations ago ;) it feels (with my pinky finger) like a step backwards

RHINOWSO
04-12-18, 15:46
They already fixed it 2 generations ago ;) it feels (with my pinky finger) like a step backwards

Doesn't that make it INCOMPATIBLE with other Gens of G19?

The HORROR!!!!!

Just like a G19X

jerrysimons
04-13-18, 10:11
Doesn't that make it INCOMPATIBLE with other Gens of G19?

The HORROR!!!!!

Just like a G19X

Edit:
Oh, right! Pierce base plate limits mags to gen5 only guns, too.

they all take the same mags in right hand config. Except the G19X and then it is only due to the Gen5 mag base extensions and that lip on the 19x front strap that feels like a built in magwell extension on the front.

The pierce gen 5 mag base plates with gap filler dont do anything to smooth out the possibility for mag insertion hang ups on the silly front strap cut out. Glocks thinking, oh let’s build into the gen5 grip a flared magwel for speedy insertions but cut out a portion of the usable grip surface that magazines can hang up on :blink: Vickers type or plus capacity extended base plates would have achieved mag stripping needs.