PDA

View Full Version : 7 day wait on ar?

dizzo
08-31-17, 09:53
So after waiting 3 weeks for my order to arrive at my ffl, I go to pick it up today and my ffl says he got response that I have a wait until sept. 7th! I've purchased multiple firearms through this ffl before. Is this normal? I'm also curious, I filled out the paperwork with him a week ago. Does he need to wait for it to arrive to process?

T2C
08-31-17, 10:30
No one could answer your question without additional information.

What city and state are you located in?

Kain
08-31-17, 10:36
Yeah. More info needed. He told you a waiting period. Or was there an issue with the NICS check and it coming back delayed instead of approved?

dizzo
08-31-17, 10:49
I'm in Milwaukee,wi
Not sure why. He said he called it in and that's what they said. They also asked if I had a upin.

Kain
08-31-17, 10:56
Sounds like the NICS check was delayed. Just spitballing. But, from having run a hell of a lot that is what it sounds like.

PattonWasRight
08-31-17, 11:26
UPIN means someone else(s) has your name and they're not able to establish it's you. Likely you didn't provide your SSN which does help speed things along / establish which 'john smith' you are.

Depending on your state, you may be able to pick it up if NICS does not respond in X days

At retail, we have approx 30% of NICS checks hit "delays" ... in MO, if we didn't back a 'deny' or 'approved in 5 days from NICS, the customer could then pick up.

kirkland
08-31-17, 21:24
So after waiting 3 weeks for my order to arrive at my ffl, I go to pick it up today and my ffl says he got response that I have a wait until sept. 7th! I've purchased multiple firearms through this ffl before. Is this normal? I'm also curious, I filled out the paperwork with him a week ago. Does he need to wait for it to arrive to process?

I been delayed a couple times. Usually not, but sometimes. Seems pretty random.

dizzo
08-31-17, 22:47
Thanks for the insight. I guess this is more standard than I thought. Sounds like if you purchase enough firearms, this will statistically happen.
Guess I'll just keep waiting

masakari
09-01-17, 06:37
I never had a problem buying guns, was always approved immediately. Then a few years ago, right before I was scheduled to move from NC back to PA, I decided to buy an M&P10 for an amazing deal. I got delayed for 3 days. Apparently, some douche, also from Philadelphia, and with the same name and birthday as me, got arrested and charged with multiple violent crimes. I wound up waiting just long enough to get approved to get the M&P10 on my way out of the state.
Further investigation showed that this guy fits a much different physical description than me, and obviously with a different SSN. But we do still occasionally get mixed up, from Police background checks, to picking up CVS pharmacy orders (he is on a lot of meds, which I get calls on occasionally).

Double3
09-01-17, 08:53
I've been delayed on every gun purchase except 1 maybe 2 for whatever reason.

It's 3 days wait though. I suppose it could be different in other states..?

PattonWasRight
09-01-17, 08:58
For you guys that are getting delayed, are you providing your SSNs on the form?

At retail, I never had a customer hit with a delay when they provided their SSN.

Kain
09-01-17, 09:07

At retail, I never had a customer hit with a delay when they provided their SSN.

I've seen delays with SSN provided when working behind the counter. Security clearances can affect the checks as well from what I have seen. Had a DEA agent come in once who got delayed, laughed about it said it happened all the time with him.

HeruMew
09-01-17, 10:36
I have always provided my SSN on the form.

My wife and I changed our last names (we created a whole new last name to branch off the family tree); I was concerned that my first Transfer since the change would cause issues. My FFL was actually confident that leaving my old, more common last name, for a very unique last name would most likely be better to avoid delays due to multiple records / conflicting records.

I didn't have any issues and had a transfer performed a month and a half after the change without any delays or issues.

I knock on wood hoping that remains the same. Sorry to hear about your wait, I hope this doesn't start to occur regularly for you.

Coolest thing is, when I go to renew my Conceal and Carry this coming year, Minnesota is now "up to par" with federal standards and I will not need to have a NICS check ran when I go pick up my firearms now. Still fill out a form, but don't need to wait for the authorization.

Double3
09-02-17, 07:26

Yes every time.

Just renewed my CCW so now I wont have to worry about it anymore in Ohio.

Iraqgunz
09-02-17, 18:36
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/a-nics-delay

AKDoug
09-02-17, 23:44
Every single customer that I've had delayed has provided their SSN. We can transfer the firearm three days after the delay if no response from NICS. However, it is not required and many dealers will not transfer until NICS calls back with a "proceed". Sometimes dealers will hold for a week or even two if, then do the transfer without a "proceed" from NICS. Personally, I think the whole NICS thing is a crap show, so I transfer as soon as legally allowed.

T2C
09-03-17, 09:20
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/a-nics-delay

A Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) will receive the following instructions when a call is transferred from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Contracted Call Center

I find this disturbing. NICS is contracted out? This might explain some of the delays we have experienced in our area lately.

bigten109
09-04-17, 17:46
I have, and I've given my SSN. Its not like my name is super common either. It is what it is and just another hurdle to get through. If it means it keeps firearms out of the wrong hands, so be it.

dizzo
09-04-17, 21:36
I am the op
I did give my ss. I guarantee there is no other person in this county with the same name as me.
I see it's 3 business days and doesn't include the day the request was but in. With the holiday and weekend it does come true only 3 days. It sucks. I guess it is what it is.