PDA

View Full Version : Daniel M4A1 castle nut came loose so easily

Sipank96
08-31-17, 19:26
Went shooting in the desert and went through about 150-200 rounds through my DD m4a1 and the factory staked castle nut came completely loose. Has this happened to anybody else? I have an armorers wrench so should I just re-tighten it myself or send it back to daniel so they can do a better job staking it this time?

grizzman
08-31-17, 19:42
If you've got the tools and the knowledge, I see no reason for you to send it back. Tighten it yourself, then stake it.

It wouldn't hurt to call them to let them know they screwed up.

MegademiC
08-31-17, 19:46
Went shooting in the desert and went through about 150-200 rounds through my DD m4a1 and the factory staked castle nut came completely loose. Has this happened to anybody else? I have an armorers wrench so should I just re-tighten it myself or send it back to daniel so they can do a better job staking it this time?

I'd send it back. If it was properly torqued and staked, and came loose, something is wrong.

I've had non staked castle nuts go almost 1000rds without loosening... properly torqued. They didn't loosen, but I ended up staking them.

Sipank96
08-31-17, 19:49
I'd send it back. If it was properly torqued and staked, and came loose, something is wrong.

I've had non staked castle it's go almost 1000rds without loosening... properly torqued.

Yeah that's why I'm worried, I have a bcm 16' recce that I put together myself and I torqued the nut down by hand without a torque wrench and never staked it, just marked it to see if it does ever move slightly. I've gone through a few thousand with that gun and it hasn't moved at all.

grizzman
08-31-17, 19:51
I agree that if it were torqued correctly, even with mediocre staking, it shouldn't loosen (unless you were applying seriously non-standard force against it). My guess is that it was neither properly torqued nor staked adequately.

Since it's loose, you can easily remove it to inspect it, the buffer, and the bolt carrier, for any damage before re-installing it. If you'd rather not mess with it, DD should take care of it.

How about a photo of their staking job?

jackblack73
08-31-17, 20:53
Call them and let them tell you whether or not to send it in. Just tell them if your preference is not to send it in. I wouldn't want to fix it myself, then find out there's a bigger problem and have DD blame your repair job.

SP101
08-31-17, 21:00
SERIOUSLY? A DD castle nut came loose? Isn't that supposed to be one of the HOLY GRAIL AR-15's in the AR world?
Send it back!

Torquetard
09-01-17, 08:42
Yea my DD backed out on me a few years ago after a few thousand. It was barely staked like the punch they were using was worn out. Replaced w/ bcm tube & castle nut, staked it myself, been good ever since

grizzman
09-01-17, 11:30
If you have any desire to try out an A5 receiver extension, now would be a good time to do it.

Feline
09-01-17, 11:49
torque it back down, re-stake it (easy), and get back to shooting

nate89
09-01-17, 13:45
We sell DD rifles at the store I work at, and almost every single one we have gotten at least for the past year has had one mediocre staking job (not two like my BCM or Colt). I would not be surprised to see them come loose on occasion. That is a sample size of 50+ rifles.

Kdubya
09-01-17, 14:08
I'm a proponent of having the MFG correct their defects/errors; and would likely send it back. At the very least I'd make them aware of the issue.

Good QA and QC is a two way street. If products are going out the door with problems, either through laziness or even just honest mistakes, the company needs to hear about it. If they're not catching the issue, and no one ever alerts them of the problem(s), then how can we expect for things to improve?

Companies who actually care about quality and craftsmanship appreciate hearing from their customers in regards to areas for improvement. And for those that ignore customer input, at least consumers can learn who to avoid.

On a related note. This thread probably should be put on hold until the mfg is contacted and given a chance to respond.

titsonritz
09-01-17, 14:34
If you have any desire to try out an A5 receiver extension, now would be a good time to do it.

And/or a QD endplate.

Glock9mm1990
09-01-17, 21:53
That's pretty bad. I always just use a stock wrench I bought from Brownells and tighten by hand as hard as I can, then stake with punch and ball pean hammer and I never had one come loose.

Iraqgunz
09-02-17, 02:37
Contact DD per site rules and allow them to address it.