PDA

View Full Version : My Ruger 10/22

Robb Jensen
10-06-08, 08:10
Here's my Ruger 10/22, it has a Leupold Rifleman 2-7x in a ADM 1" mount, a Nordic Components stock kit, RRA M4 stock, Tangodown grip, Tactical Solutions threaded barrel, Hogue FF rifle length tube, Volquartsen trigger group internals. I had the bolt reworked by Randy at CPC (http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/index.html).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/nordicruger.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/nordicrugerjeweledbolt.jpg

Marler5811
10-07-08, 21:30
Love it dude. I've been doing some upgrades to my 10/22 also. Tac Sol Barrel and Mag release, Hogue stock, etc. Nothing as elaborate as your but I like it. If I could figure out this freakin Windown "Mojave" I would show you a picture. Stay tuned.

bkb0000
10-07-08, 21:50
Love it dude. I've been doing some upgrades to my 10/22 also. Tac Sol Barrel and Mag release, Hogue stock, etc. Nothing as elaborate as your but I like it. If I could figure out this freakin Windown "Mojave" I would show you a picture. Stay tuned.

I thought mojave was just a gag name for Vista?

Honu
10-07-08, 22:31
I still have my original 10/22 from the late 70s :)

but wanted to build something up like this ?
very cool setup

docsherm
10-08-08, 07:37
Vey nice. I need to mod up my 10/22. All I have done to it is an extended mag release and 8 30 round mags.

markm
10-08-08, 08:07
I thought mojave was just a gag name for Vista?

Damn I'm sick of seeing that annoying commercial!

Is that Nordic kit expensive?

C4IGrant
10-08-08, 08:48
Very sexy!

C4

Robb Jensen
10-08-08, 09:05
Damn I'm sick of seeing that annoying commercial!

Is that Nordic kit expensive?

They retail for $200 something.

uscbigdawg
10-08-08, 23:32
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00574.jpg

I like the jeweled bolt brotha!

Rich

MarshallDodge
10-09-08, 21:53
Here's my Ruger 10/22

I like it! Nice cheap way to practice. :cool:

BigDog
10-10-08, 15:39
Here's my Ruger 10/22, it has a Leupold Rifleman 2-7x in a ADM 1" mount, a Nordic Components stock kit, RRA M4 stock, Tangodown grip, Tactical Solutions threaded barrel, Hogue FF rifle length tube, Volquartsen trigger group internals. I had the bolt reworked by Randy at CPC (http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/index.html).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/nordicruger.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/nordicrugerjeweledbolt.jpg

Damn, man, as if I haven't spent enough in your shop this year... :mad:

RogerinTPA
10-10-08, 19:53
Man that is an awesome setup! That's one of those forehead smacking ideas (Damn, why didn't I think of that???). I did start on the pistol side with .22's. It ought to save you truck loads of money in ammo savings. I guess this will be my next project!:cool:

rat31465
10-10-08, 20:33
This is my 10/22...I modified the stock to a BR config by milling forend flat then attached a 3.5" wide piece of maple via dowel pins and epoxy. Contoured it with Bondo primed the stock and finally sprayed the whole thing with Krylon Olive drab before adding two coats of Matte Clear. The scope is a 3.5x10 Tasco with a Mil-dot reticle. I worked the trigger over to a smooth 3lb break. Polished the rails and installed a Shilen match grade Bbl.
The 100 yard 5-round group pictured, is a personal best with this rifle and was shot with an older lot of Fiocchi V-320 Match ammo.
This rifle was purpose built for crow hunting and I have made two kills with it at 200 yards.
One Coyote at 125, and a mangy house cat was headshot at 90 yards one morning after killing one of my Mothers chickens.
I have built 4 others for family and friends with results nearly as good.

1 Source
10-10-08, 21:01
Nice Work dude!
That sets the standard!

maximus83
10-11-08, 16:48
Beautiful rifle. Glad to see someone is having success with the Nordic, that's going to be my next project.

I've also had work done by Randy at CPC. He is a magician at taking the standard 10/22 action and tuning them up into a tack driver. He can also thread your barrel permanently into your receiver, getting rid of the "barrel droop" issue you get with heavy target barrels and giving you better long-term fit and stability. After Randy got done with 10/22 and GM target barrel, it has done some shooting at 50 yards, 100 yards, and even 200 yards that I could hardly believe was possible out of a .22 below the level of say an Anschutz.

Congrats on your build. Let's see some targets!

maximus83
10-11-08, 17:12
I like it! Nice cheap way to practice. :cool:

Well, sort of. There's the cost of the rifle. :) But I agree it's a great setup, I want to get one even if they do cost. Part of the reason is, I like the 10/22 platform so much better than the customized AR 22's, partly because the 10/22 is a well proven platform when it comes to .22 caliber, and partly because then I can reuse all my existing 10/22 compatible mags and related parts and equipment. There are 10's of thousands of 10/22 owners out there who have a lot of mags and other parts that this platform will appeal to as well.

As to cost, this is my estimate of what it takes to get into one. It will will cost you a MINIMUM of $700, if you don't already have a dedicated 10/22 that you can pillage, and it can be a lot more depending on the quality of the add-on components you choose. If you do have the basic 10/22 parts--a complete action and a trigger group--then I estimate you could get into a Nordic setup for around $450 to $500, again depending on the add-on components you choose.

Here's the basic stuff you have to buy, besides the Nordic (which functions like the receiver container):

- A 10/22 action
- A 10/22 trigger group
- Barrel ($150 for a standard heavy barrel to $225 for a Tacsol threaded barrel)
- Buttstock ($30 on up. I want that new Magpul precision stock. Heh!)
- Pistol grip
- Free float tube or rails (GunKings site lists options that will fit, ranging from $50 to $130)
- [Optional]: other add-ons such as iron sights, VFG, etc.

It does seem expensive, but really all of the .22 caliber AR-style rifles are costing in this price range. And, all you have to do is look at the cost of a case or two of 5.56/.223 ammo, and you realize that if you shoot a lot, $700 to create a nice AR practice platform, which enables you to shoot ammo that is around 10 times cheaper, would quickly pay for itself. This platform is a winner!

BTW, for anyone who's wanting to get into this kit. The site Gunkings (http://www.gunkings.com/) has the Nordics, plus a good selection of the related parts, as well as complete assemblies that you can use to deck out a 10/22 on the AR platform. For example, they'll sell you a complete M4-style barrel assembly that has the barrel, free float handguards, a fixed front sight, etc.

uscbigdawg
10-11-08, 21:50
Donor 10/22 from pawn shop = $80
Nordic Kit = $225
Barrel = $110 (Green Mountain)
Full Power Custom Trigger Kit = $150 (I think)
ACE Stock, ERGO grip and DPMS tube = $0 (had them laying around)

Basically, I built this after someone made me an offer on my CZ V-22 upper and I looked around saw that I had a good amount of parts in the shop from customer builds.

Voila.

Rich

Sean King
10-11-08, 23:27
With a possible 500% tax on ammo in the next 4 years, I decided to get into .22LR again.

I'm positive mine is no tack driver like the ones pictured here, but it's set up kinda like my AR so I figure it will be cheap practice for close range (100 yards or less).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/blt4rox/100_1227.jpg

Spike's LW light profile bbl 16" upper, BM lower with smooth hammer and Bill Springfield trigger job, MI BUIS, Ergo VFG, TNVC RDP II red dot, YHM 12.5" rail, BDM mags, etc.

Sean

maximus83
10-12-08, 00:18
Donor 10/22 from pawn shop = $80
Nordic Kit = $225
Barrel = $110 (Green Mountain)
Full Power Custom Trigger Kit = $150 (I think)
ACE Stock, ERGO grip and DPMS tube = $0 (had them laying around)

Basically, I built this after someone made me an offer on my CZ V-22 upper and I looked around saw that I had a good amount of parts in the shop from customer builds.

Voila.

Rich

So it sounds like you came in around $565 total, plus whatever you had originally paid for the stock, grip, and tube? That's not bad, really, depending on what you originally paid for the stock, you probably got into yours for maybe a bit over $600 total, then. I don't have as many of the AR parts lying around as you did, though I do seem to have a truckload of 10/22 parts. Right now I'm having a hard time convincing my household finance manager that I should spend somewhere around $600 to $700 for another .22, when I already have several. She's not yet buying the argument: "But honey, look how much it'll save me on AMMO." ;)

uscbigdawg
10-12-08, 18:46
Generally, they are customer buys that they change their mind and we work out a trade on parts/services. Too, I have boxes of 1911, AR, etc. parts that I've taken off of prize tables over the years. At last tally the parts "bin" has enough for like 3 AR's and 4 1911's.

Rich

bkb0000
10-13-08, 05:39
So it sounds like you came in around $565 total, plus whatever you had originally paid for the stock, grip, and tube? That's not bad, really, depending on what you originally paid for the stock, you probably got into yours for maybe a bit over $600 total, then. I don't have as many of the AR parts lying around as you did, though I do seem to have a truckload of 10/22 parts. Right now I'm having a hard time convincing my household finance manager that I should spend somewhere around $600 to $700 for another .22, when I already have several. She's not yet buying the argument: "But honey, look how much it'll save me on AMMO." ;)

Two advantages I have in this situation: my wife knows absolutely nothing about guns, and has absolutely nothing to do with money- other than spending it.

Otherwise, my current build-in-progress would not be occuring. "I need more money, honey." "I ain't got any." "Why not?" "You spent it all." "Oh. Well let me know when there's more." "You got it, baby."