PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9L or Glock 19?

WasatchAR
10-06-08, 09:40
So I won a NRA raffle this weekend, and I have the choice. I am well versed with the Glock, and have heard great things about the M&P. I just can’t make up my mind. I do need a new EDC, so the Glock is edging out the long M&P at the moment, but I cloud use some input. Thanks.

Robb Jensen
10-06-08, 10:09
I'd get the 9L, I like G19s but not Gen3 19s.

oldtexan
10-06-08, 10:18
I'd get the 9L, I like G19s but not Gen3 19s.

GotM4, What causes you to dislike Gen 3 G19s?

WasatchAR
10-06-08, 10:34
I have full size auto’s coming out of my ears, and the only reason I would go with the 9L is for a new production division gun. I am currently using the USP with the “Thacker” job on it, and it rocks out. I can’t see a need to change. Besides, if I go with the M&P, I will need to pick up a metric but load of mags to go with it. G mags are going for $18, and M&P’s are $28. I love this dilemma. :D

Tungsten
10-06-08, 11:29
If I had to choose just one, it would be the Glock. I have both.

My Glock 19 is my every day carry. The 9L stays at home and comes out for playing around with at the range. While I love the ergos of the 9L, I am not 100% confident in it's ability to function. Out of the box I had a lot of short-cycling failures to eject, ostensibly caused by the fact that S&W uses (or at least used initially) the same recoil spring in it as they do the 4-inch 9mm.

The heavier slide of the 9L doesn't need that heavy of a spring. When I substituted a stainless non-captive guide rod and a lighter 13# spring, it began functioning flawlessly.

Thus far I only have about 100rds through the 9L since swapping the spring out. If it functions reliably for another 200-300rds I will consider it GTG. My Glock, on the other hand, has never failed to operate. 100% flawless with upwards of 3,000 rds through it to date.

BB01
10-06-08, 13:21
The only problem with going with the m&p9L for production is that it hasn't been put on the approved list yet, so you won't be able to shoot it (in prod.) right away.

WasatchAR
10-06-08, 13:24
The only problem with going with the m&p9L for production is that it hasn't been put on the approved list yet, so you won't be able to shoot it (in prod.) right away.

Shhhh.... Just don't tell the RSO that. ;)

Robb Jensen
10-06-08, 13:27
GotM4, What causes you to dislike Gen 3 G19s?

The finger grooves don't match my hand. With fullsize Glocks I don't have this problem. The 9L and Pro should be approved for Production before the end of the year.

Jerm
10-06-08, 14:35
voted M&P(prefer them to the Glock overall)...

but if its going to be used for EDC(CC),the G19 would probably be the better way to go than the full size/long.

ToddG
10-06-08, 15:40
I voted for the G19 because it sounds like, between the two, it's the one that will serve your immediate needs best.

If I were choosing for myself, it would have been the M&P9L in a heartbeat.

Master_of_Sparks
10-06-08, 16:08
I have an M&P 9 but I haven't spent much time with it. It is on indefinite loan at a ROTC gun range, going through an informal neglect test.

I like the Glock compacts. Like gotm4 said, my fingers don't fit the finger grooves just right either. My fingers seem to lay right on top of the high points of the grooves. I really just don't notice it though.

If I had to choose between the 2, I would get the Glock.

JonInWA
10-06-08, 19:15
The Glock 19; it's a well-proven modern classic.

Best, Jon

1911pro
10-06-08, 19:31
I love my M&P. It shoots great and feels good in the hand. I cannot believe it was so cheap . It is as accurate to 25 yards as my Springfield Pro( with my lame self shooting it). I know 3 guys that I shoot with every week running M&Ps also with no problems.

DocH
10-07-08, 10:00
Glocks are just time proven to work in just about any environment.Parts and spare mags are easier to find and cheaper,too. M&P's are most likely great pistols from all I've heard,but I've only fired one M&P 9mm,so really not any experience with them.
Have a 2nd Gen. G19 that's been run hard for 15 years,banged around,and dropped in training several times that just keeps on running. They're just more proven that an M&P,but that could change with time. A 19 or 17 for me when it comes to a 9mm.

trio
10-07-08, 15:28
i also voted for the G19 as well.....I am like GotM4....the finger grooves on the 3rd Gen G19s don't fit my hands as well...

fortunately I was able to find a G19 with the finger ridges reduced/sanded down, and it has solved a lot of my issues

for my money, the G19 is the best carry gun there is....

personally, even though I already have a G19, I'd probably still have gotten another one....I'm trying to get my wife to stop carrying a PPS for G19....