PDA

View Full Version : Which Gen. Glock

SP101
09-03-17, 19:01
I have been looking for a G19 for awhile now. I have read that the 3rd Gen. is the best one to buy. Is this true? From what I have read, the Gen. 3 has a much better finish than the other Gens. Also, I'm not against getting a LE trade in G23 and getting a .40 to 9 conversion barrel. Opinions? Thank You.

boombotz401
09-03-17, 19:37
If your left handed or hate finger grooves get the gen 5

Otherwise it's a toss up...personally I think the grip texture on the gen 1-3 is a joke.

I'd reccomend the gen 4 or 5

If you do go with the 23 keep in mind the gen 3 does have issues with weapon mounted lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Linebacker
09-03-17, 19:48
The only merit a Gen 3 has over a Gen 4, is a better trigger. A Gen 4 can be swapped-out for a Gen 3 trigger. As the previous poster indicated, the Gen 5 trumps a 3 and 4, if the non-finger grooves meet with your approval. Speaking of which, I sort of missed the finger grooves when dry-firing the Gen 5 yesterday. That could change, upon actually firing the pistol.

PaLEOjd
09-03-17, 19:50
If you want a 9mm, buy a 9mm, don't play games swapping parts. Running a 9mm conversion barrel is only acceptable for range plinking IMO,not for a carry or duty pistol. For a .40 caliber pistol to be 100% reliable with a 9mm conversion barrel, there are going to be other parts you will need to change to ensure proper function and reliability of the pistol.
The ejector will need to be swapped to a 9mm ejector, the spring loaded bearing on the extractor plunger will need to be changed, the extractor itself, and of course the magazines. Depending on generation, you will also want to change the recoil spring assembly to the correct weight.

Glock has used several finishes over the years ranging from light grey to dark black, generation really means nothing when it comes to the finish (color of the slide). The finish used is not generation specific and may be different when comparing two Gen3 or two Gen4 pistols. Glock has changed finishes a couple of times in those generations.
I own Gen3 Glocks with the dark black, teflon like finish that looks like the inside of a good frying pan, and some Gen3's with the dull, flat grey finish that is easily scratched. Same thing with my Gen4 pistols, some are dark black, some are flat grey. From my experience, the dark black frying pan finish look has been the most durable finish used by Glock on previous generations.

If you are wanting to buy a Glock based on how it looks, I would suggest you just purchase a new Gen5 pistol. They are the only pistols that will have the exact same appearance and will be the same dark black colored slide. They now use the new Glock "nDLC" finish.
Basing your purchase on a firearms appearance is never a good idea but if that's the case, get the new Gen5. There are several changes to the pistol but they are the best looking pistol Glock has manufactured IMO.

Coal Dragger
09-03-17, 20:17
Frankly if you're not already invested in Glocks, I'd buy something else. Plenty of very viable options these days.

CDR_Glock
09-03-17, 20:19
I have been looking for a G19 for awhile now. I have read that the 3rd Gen. is the best one to buy. Is this true? From what I have read, the Gen. 3 has a much better finish than the other Gens. Also, I'm not against getting a LE trade in G23 and getting a .40 to 9 conversion barrel. Opinions? Thank You.

The Gen 4 gives the ability to change grip sizes. To me, the Gen 3 is most reliable.

I wouldn't use a conversion for self defense.

You can always mod a Glock 3-4. The Gen 5 is too new to do so, at the moment, apart from a $0.25 trigger job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

26 Inf
09-03-17, 20:35
If you want a 9mm, buy a 9mm, don't play games swapping parts. Running a 9mm conversion barrel is only acceptable for range plinking IMO,not for a carry or duty pistol. For a .40 caliber pistol to be 100% reliable with a 9mm conversion barrel, there are going to be other parts you will need to change to ensure proper function and reliability of the pistol.

The ejector will need to be swapped to a 9mm ejector, the spring loaded bearing on the extractor plunger will need to be changed, the extractor itself, and of course the magazines. Depending on generation, you will also want to change the recoil spring assembly to the correct weight.

Pat, not wanting to get in a peeing contest because I agree that a .40 to 9mm conversion isn't a good idea for duty or concealed carry, but, have you owned one?

I originally bought it for several reasons: 1) because I didn't want to reload .40; 2) the SO required you to carry .40; and 3) at the time I did not have nearly as much disposable income. Buying a 17 was not how I wanted to spend my money.

That was a decade ago, I put well over 5,000 rounds of 9mm through that Lone Wolf before buying my first G17 and converting that G22 into a semi-dedicated .22 trainer.

No problems whatsoever EXCEPT with one batch of factory reloads from work that the ogive was weird on. There wasn't enough leade in the barrel to fully chamber them all the time. Our work G17's with factory barrels ate the stuff without stuttering.

I found the barrel to be plug and play using the .40 ejector, extractor and recoil spring.

I wouldn't hesitate for a range toy/practice pistol, but I totally agree with you about about carry.

556BlackRifle
09-03-17, 20:52
Nothing wrong with a LE trade in G19 or G23 Gen3. Chances are good that it may show some holster wear but the round count will likely not be too high. As far as conversions, the 23 can convert to 9mm but as pointed out in post#4, it's not something you should trust your life to. The G23 in 40 S&W can also be converted to 357 Sig with a Glock G32 barrel swap. The 40 mags will work however, if for SD I'd get at least one G32 (357) mag as the follower is different. [The G23 and G32 are exactly the same except for the barrel and the magazine so you are GTG with this conversion.] I also have owned a few G19s and love em.

For a bit more money here the HK VP9 and it's also worth consideration. No experience with the CZ but there seems to be a lot of love for it on the forum so It might be worth a look as well.

Good luck!

NYH1
09-03-17, 21:15
I prefer gen 3 Glock's myself. I do have a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G22. It's been 100% reliable. However, the only conversion barrels I'd do for carry/self defense would be factory 40 S&W and 357 Sig. barrel swaps G22/G31, G23/G32 and G27/G33. I called Glock before I bought the G31 barrel for my G22 and they told me the only differences between them were the barrels and the mag. followers were marked .357. This was back in 2005 or so.

Getting back to your G19/G23. Do yourself a favor and go handle one if you haven't to make sure it fits your hands good. My G19 fits me ok as does my G26. However, clothing/weather permitting I prefer a G17/G22/G34 size over the smaller ones. Winter time, especially plowing it's my G34.

Good luck, NYH1.

MegademiC
09-03-17, 21:38
Gen 4s are reported to have better accuracy.
Finish is the last thing I would worry about, right under how the trigger feels.

I picked up a gen 4 g23 for $400, they are available online.
A KKM barrel is $250 for conversion with threads. If you don't need threads, I'd hold out for a g19 and run a stock barrel.

That said, this is the 2nd 40-9 conversion I've run with 400 (50 suppressed) rds through the glock (new recoil spring) and 2k through an m&p, half of which was silenced, no other mods with no issues. I carry my conversion. KKM has a reputation, especially for conversion barrels. Just test it thoroughly before trusting.

If 5" groups at 25yds is accurate enough for you, offhand, pick whichever g19 is cheaper (gen 3 or 4). You can always add a match barrel down the road if you start to outshoot the gun.

KCBRUIN
09-03-17, 23:31
Gen5
Arguably better trigger
Arguably better finish
Arguably better accuracy
Arguably better grip
Ameriglos as a factory option
Ambi slide stop/release
Internals improved to decrease possible failure points.

PaLEOjd
09-04-17, 00:16
Pat, not wanting to get in a peeing contest because I agree that a .40 to 9mm conversion isn't a good idea for duty or concealed carry, but, have you owned one?

I originally bought it for several reasons: 1) because I didn't want to reload .40; 2) the SO required you to carry .40; and 3) at the time I did not have nearly as much disposable income. Buying a 17 was not how I wanted to spend my money.

That was a decade ago, I put well over 5,000 rounds of 9mm through that Lone Wolf before buying my first G17 and converting that G22 into a semi-dedicated .22 trainer.

No problems whatsoever EXCEPT with one batch of factory reloads from work that the ogive was weird on. There wasn't enough leade in the barrel to fully chamber them all the time. Our work G17's with factory barrels ate the stuff without stuttering.

I found the barrel to be plug and play using the .40 ejector, extractor and recoil spring.

I wouldn't hesitate for a range toy/practice pistol, but I totally agree with you about about carry.

Yes, I actually own two lone wolf conversion barrels for .40 caliber Glocks.
One is used in a Gen 4 G-22, and the other in a Gen 3 G-27. They have both been reliable at the range, no doubt about that, 100% reliable with the only issue being weak ejection sometimes.

My suggestion for changing out to correct 9mm parts was stated due to possible reliability concerns if using the pistol for defense purposes. If someone has the intent to convert the pistol, the correct way to go about that is to use all the correct factory parts, (along with the conversion barrel) for that specific caliber pistol.

The conversion barrels are a great range option but if someone is going to purchase a .40 with the intent of running it as a 9mm by dropping in a conversion barrel, all parts for that caliber should be swapped for the best reliability and proper function.
I only mentioned that because the OP seemed to hint at really wanting a G-19 but would settle for a G-23 to be used as 9mm.

Nothing at all wrong with the conversion barrels, mine have been flawless. I guess what I meant with my first post was, if you buy a G-23 (that you may carry) with the intent on using it as a G-19, swap all the parts, not just the barrel. There probably won't be any issues, but probably isn't good enough if your life may depend on the firearm. If it's for carry, buy the correct parts, better safe than sorry.
If not, enjoy the lower cost of 9mm and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GNXII
09-04-17, 00:18
Try them again if you can. Find ones that are box stock as your not comparing apples to oranges. Also, try some older used Gen 1 & 2 versions if a light rail is not your thing. They might fit you better but there used so buyer beware. A buddy clung to his Gen 2 19 because he hated finger groves, he just picked up his Gen 5 19 and loves it. For me finger groves or not I never had the issues with them.

El Pistolero
09-04-17, 01:48
The Gen 4 is the only reason I got into Glocks. I hate the grip texture of all previous generations. The grip angle is still awkward but it's not as bad on the Gen 4 if you use it with no backstraps. Gen 4 is the only flavor of Glock kool-aid for me until something significantly better comes along.

Arik
09-04-17, 07:44
All but the G43:I own are police trades. Stupid cheap prices for great guns.

I own all but the gen 5. They're all good. If you're looking for a rail then gen 3 would be best. If you don't care about a rail or don't want finger groves gen 2 are great. Can't help you on the finish. I don't know what they are and quite honestly I don't care.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ST911
09-04-17, 10:07
With the exception of .40/357 conversions with OEM barrels, buy your Glock in the caliber you intend to use it. Even the best of 9mm conversion barrels function within a narrower band than OEM.

09-04-17, 12:38
I started out with a Gen2 23, went to a Gen2 17, then a Gen3 19, Gen4 19, and a few Gen3 and Gen4 34s mixed in.

Me personally, I like the Gen3 with grooves and thumb shelves removed, mag catch scalloped, and stippled. If I had to keep one stock, I'd probably go with a Gen4.

I haven't tried a Gen5 yet. I really think they're mechanically improved, but slippery finish, ambi slide stop, mag cutout in the grip, and flared magwell really turn me off.

bigten109
09-04-17, 13:02
I would put them in your hand. I know for me (I have smaller hands) the gen 3 would put the pistol at a weird off angle in relation to the axis of my forearm when I properly reached for the trigger, that caused problems with recoil management, or caused problems with trigger control, which are basically the two big sins in pistol shooting. If you don't like finger grooves, the gen 5's have removed those (in addition to some other changes). I ended up going with a gen 4 because I liked the way the finger grooves fit on my particular hand and was cheaper than a gen 5.

However, as someone else stated, there are plenty of other 9mm striker fired options out there, unless you are absolutely dead set on a glock 19. There is the CZ, FN, and SW make great ones. For me personally, the H&K VP series comes to mind. If someone twisted my arm, I would choose my vp9 over the glock 19. The VP9SK is a great CC firearm. People talk about upgradability of glocks and parts availability, but to be honest, the VP9 really doesn't need any more upgrades because it comes stock ready to go (which is more than I can say for the G19), with better ergos, and I have bought 2 sets of spare parts for things that will likely go wrong (recoil spring, etc) with money I would've spent probably upgrading the glock trigger and extractor (if you have the BTF problem some have had with the gen 3 onward). Lets be honest, we will never have a prolonged SHTF situation where you will need more than 2 sets of spare parts, and if we do....god help us all

montgomerygentryFan
09-04-17, 13:50
If your left handed or hate finger grooves get the gen 5

Otherwise it's a toss up...personally I think the grip texture on the gen 1-3 is a joke.

I'd reccomend the gen 4 or 5

If you do go with the 23 keep in mind the gen 3 does have issues with weapon mounted lights

Agreed, I'm already vested in Gen3 so that's what I stick with for that reason. As much as I'd prefer for mine to not have finger grooves, I can live with them. The nice thing about Gen3 apart from having a light rail is the compatibility spanning from Gen1-3. As far as I know mags are the only interchangeable item on the pistol between Gen3 to Gen4. Since you don't have a Glock at all, like others have suggested try out the Gen5 to see if you like the non-finger groove grip. Personally I would much rather have it that way if I could. While it isn't earth-shattering the Gen5 does has a several improvements users have been vocal about for some time. I'm surprised they didn't incorporate that into the Gen4 to be honest.

Det-Sog
09-04-17, 15:00
The Gen 4 is the only reason I got into Glocks. I hate the grip texture of all previous generations. The grip angle is still awkward but it's not as bad on the Gen 4 if you use it with no backstraps. Gen 4 is the only flavor of Glock kool-aid for me until something significantly better comes along.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I never even considered a Glock until I got to look over the gen-4. I'm still not "into them" but this may change if I like the gen-5 AND it proves to be solid.

09-04-17, 15:26
Agreed, I'm already vested in Gen3 so that's what I stick with for that reason. As much as I'd prefer for mine to not have finger grooves, I can live with them. The nice thing about Gen3 apart from having a light rail is the compatibility spanning from Gen1-3. As far as I know mags are the only interchangeable item on the pistol between Gen3 to Gen4. Since you don't have a Glock at all, like others have suggested try out the Gen5 to see if you like the non-finger groove grip. Personally I would much rather have it that way if I could. While it isn't earth-shattering the Gen5 does has a several improvements users have been vocal about for some time. I'm surprised they didn't incorporate that into the Gen4 to be honest.

If you don't like the grooves, get rid of 'em. I use a die grinder with a rotary file.

t15
09-04-17, 16:17
Another vote for gen 3, Vickers RTF2 if you can afford it and don't plan on grinding off the finger grooves.

IMO Glocks are under sprung, even the 9mms. I like the gen 3s for the simple guide rod and recoil spring assembly. Lots of aftermarket springs. I run ISMI in all of mine. 20-22lbs vs the factory 17lb.

3ACR_Scout
09-04-17, 18:00
If someone twisted my arm, I would choose my vp9 over the glock 19. The VP9SK is a great CC firearm. People talk about upgradability of glocks and parts availability, but to be honest, the VP9 really doesn't need any more upgrades because it comes stock ready to go (which is more than I can say for the G19), with better ergos, and I have bought 2 sets of spare parts for things that will likely go wrong (recoil spring, etc) with money I would've spent probably upgrading the glock trigger and extractor (if you have the BTF problem some have had with the gen 3 onward). Lets be honest, we will never have a prolonged SHTF situation where you will need more than 2 sets of spare parts, and if we do....god help us all
If they introduce a VP9c, I would be willing to consider abandoning Glocks. I love my USPc but just couldn't find holsters and accessories for it so that I could use it for both CCW and "tactical" training. While I don't doubt that the VP9SK is a quality pistol, I just prefer the intermediate size of HK compacts.

As far as spare parts go, we're all likely to run out of ammo long before we need all those extra parts, but that's not going to stop me from keeping them on hand... just in case.

Back to the original question, I've stuck with Gen 3 for the reason some others mentioned - compatibility between my pistols. Except for my G43, of course. I don't have anything against Gen 4 necessarily - they just came along while I was "on a break" from Glocks. If they fill in the cutout on the Gen 5 based on customer feedback (I know that's probably unlikely), or make the version of the 19M without the cutout available, I'll probably get one, but I don't feel the need to spend the money on one at this point.

tacticaldesire
09-04-17, 21:29
Some prefer the Gen 3, some prefer the Gen 4. To me, they're all Glocks. The only Gen 4 feature I really like is the magazine release otherwise I don't have a preference.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Linebacker
09-04-17, 21:42
If they fill in the cutout on the Gen 5 based on customer feedback

This is the first I have heard about complaints of the cutout. Can you be more specific?

MountainRaven
09-04-17, 21:45
This is the first I have heard about complaints of the cutout. Can you be more specific?

Some folks with large hands don't like the cut out because it can pinch their pinky.

MegademiC
09-04-17, 21:52
What advantage does gen 3 have over 4 (I see a lot of people saying to go with 3 , preferred over 4- or am I reading that wrong?)?

Arik
09-04-17, 22:04
What advantage does gen 3 have over 4 (I see a lot of people saying to go with 3 , preferred over 4- or am I reading that wrong?)?Gen4 9mm had the brass to face issue back in 2010. Don't know if it's still a thing or if it's been largely taken care of. I have two gen4 40SW and they're both fine.

Arik
09-04-17, 22:05
This is the first I have heard about complaints of the cutout. Can you be more specific?Not a fan of the cut out. Not against it either. I feel it and notice it so it's a bit of a distraction but that's a training issue....for me

t15
09-04-17, 22:09
What advantage does gen 3 have over 4 (I see a lot of people saying to go with 3 , preferred over 4- or am I reading that wrong?)?

My take-

dual recoil spring while technically superior is a needless complexity in a 9mm and an inconvenience when changing spring weights.

Gen 4 compromising original trigger geometry for smaller grip resulting in heavier trigger pull.

Gen4 oversized mag release can also be viewed as a negative if you are not interested in a game gun or inadvertently dropping a loaded mag.

I think that's about it. The texture and lefty mag release are solid upgrades to a gen 3.

The gen4 also has the safety nipple on the trigger bar to keep it from falling off the FP stop. I have this trigger bar in most of my gen 3's. Look inside an empty mag well while pressing the trigger and you can watch the trigger bar flex around the FP stop. The fact that Glock added this to gen4 is good enough reason for me lol. Lots of people taking gen 4 ejectors as well. I'm excited to see what redesigns are inside a gen5 that will fit my gen 3's!

MountainRaven
09-04-17, 22:48
Gen4 9mm had the brass to face issue back in 2010. Don't know if it's still a thing or if it's been largely taken care of. I have two gen4 40SW and they're both fine.

Gen3s also had BTF. I also seem to recall BTF being a more common issue in Gen3 guns than in Gen4s. The only Glocks I have experienced BTF with have been Gen3s, as a matter of fact.

Gen4 oversized mag release can also be viewed as a negative if you are not interested in a game gun or inadvertently dropping a loaded mag.

That's frankly ridiculous.

AKDoug
09-04-17, 22:50
My Gen 4 has a better trigger than my Gen 3... it is also significantly more accurate and without a backstrap, slightly less trigger reach.

Arik
09-04-17, 22:50
Gen3s also had BTF. I also seem to recall BTF being a more common issue in Gen3 guns than in Gen4s. The only Glocks I have experienced BTF with have been Gen3s, as a matter of fact.

That's frankly ridiculous.I only remember the issue when gen4 came out but to be honest my only gen 3 is from 2003. I don't think they had problems dating back that far

MountainRaven
09-04-17, 22:51
I only remember the issue when gen4 came out but to be honest my only gen 3 is from 2003. I don't think they had problems dating back that far

The issue began when the Gen4s came out, but afflicted all Glock models.

El Pistolero
09-04-17, 23:31
My Gen 4 has a better trigger than my Gen 3... it is also significantly more accurate and without a backstrap, slightly less trigger reach.

I hear a lot of people say that the Gen 4 triggers are the worst yet but I found that the Gen 4s with their "dot" connector actually had a notciceably better trigger than any Gen 3 I've tried. My Gen 4 G19 had an excellent trigger out of the box.

t15
09-04-17, 23:43
Yes the . Connector is installed in gen4 guns to make trigger comparable to gen 3. Fjall, I am not suggesting that gen 4 guns are unloading themselves. Maybe I should have phrased it like, I don't care or need a bigger mag release :-)

Eta brass to face- it's going to be a gamble newer gen 3+ guns. Hopefully they've got the gen5 tooling down. Btf is caused by out of spec slides in my experience, increasing spring tension with modified spring loaded bearings or aftermarket fitted extractor. Might try gen 4 ejector as well.

Buying a gen 3 or a gen 4 will not guarantee a btf free Glock. Gen2 maybe lol.

Feline
09-06-17, 08:45
Gen 3 guns starting with serial prefix N started having problems; And roblems have been there intermittently ever since.

bear13
09-06-17, 08:54
If the extra cash comes available I would buy a gen 5. I like the changes they have made to them and you still can not beat the size. It is small enough and light enough to easily conceal but still can truly fight with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watrdawg
09-06-17, 10:20
I own a Gen4 19 and a Gen3 17. Different guns but I don't have a preference between the 2 generations. I will be purchasing a Gen5 19 in the next 4-6 months though. Finger grooves fit me fine on my 19 but I'm in the market for another one so I figured it might as well be a Gen5.

Talking Monkey
09-06-17, 11:01
I prefer the trigger and the grip shape on the Gen 3 Glocks.

QuickStrike
09-06-17, 11:39
I really like the trigger on my new gen5. Feels lighter, shorter and essier to get fast follow up shots + good improvements.

PattonWasRight
09-06-17, 13:28
I have all the gens except the first, and for me, my gen 2 with talon grips is my hands down favorite

TacMedic556
09-06-17, 14:34
I own all gen 3 and prefer the flat coil single recoil spring assembly. Not sure how reliable it is, however I have read accounts more than once of the "less moving parts less springs" single spring, flat RSA functions more reliably under extreme circumstances with foreign material contamination such as sand, grit, mud etc. So far all I have seen in military NSN codes is Gen 3
Cage codes and NSN numbers of Gen 3 Glocks: http://www.parttarget.com/Glock-Inc_nsn-parts.html

I have tried each Gen. I like the Gen 2, I own all Gen 3 and recently purchased (last week) another 19 Gen 3 after handling a 5. I had the choice of either as blue label specials for same price and went with the 3. Logistics, parts interchangeability and holsters etc all work for me and there was no reason to make a change to what is a new design that has not been proven entirely yet. The new trigger has been reported to be a pound heavier and that does not impress me.

Either way - all Glocks are good to go and if I did not have any yet, I would probably get a 5.

MountainRaven
09-06-17, 15:13
I own all gen 3 and prefer the flat coil single recoil spring assembly. Not sure how reliable it is, however I have read accounts more than once of the "less moving parts less springs" single spring, flat RSA functions more reliably under extreme circumstances with foreign material contamination such as sand, grit, mud etc. So far all I have seen in military NSN codes is Gen 3
Cage codes and NSN numbers of Gen 3 Glocks: http://www.parttarget.com/Glock-Inc_nsn-parts.html

I have tried each Gen. I like the Gen 2, I own all Gen 3 and recently purchased (last week) another 19 Gen 3 after handling a 5. I had the choice of either as blue label specials for same price and went with the 3. Logistics, parts interchangeability and holsters etc all work for me and there was no reason to make a change to what is a new design that has not been proven entirely yet. The new trigger has been reported to be a pound heavier and that does not impress me.

Either way - all Glocks are good to go and if I did not have any yet, I would probably get a 5.

There should be an NSN for the Glock 17 Gen4 (L131A1 in the UK).

QuickStrike
09-06-17, 16:03
Messing around with the gen5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30uqbyTXNY

I don't have the problem of pulling my shots slightly to the left in rapid-ish fire like with my gen4, I seriously think the trigger and lack of finger grooves helped.

Only 350 rounds through it so far (no malfs) and will have to get better sights and a butt plug for it, but I am already thinking of getting another one. :rolleyes:

Doc Safari
09-06-17, 17:09
G17 Gen 2 was my favorite: but I swear I get a lot less brass-to-face with the Gen 4. Some people claim Gen 3 is the best but I've had too many Gen 3's that I had to duck brass while firing even to the point that it disturbed my ability to concentrate on shooting. I think the Gen 4 grip is slighly more slender (without the grip extenders), and I find it more comfortable to hold.

I look forward to trying the Gen 5.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-06-17, 17:26
Gen 3 g17, manufactured before 2009/gen 4 era is your best bet. All g19 gens are btf specials.

tom12.7
09-06-17, 18:54
While I do not doubt your observations, for my limited results so far with the gen 5 19 model, I'm not yet getting the same direct feedback with some various duty ammunition offerings on the 19. Sure, I agree that some ammo can put cases towards your face, but so far, and this is limited yet, many eject cleanly enough to not make that an issue yet.

MegademiC
09-06-17, 21:28
My m&p40 put more 40 brass in my face (did not btf with 9mm stormlake) than my g23 with9mm KKM barrel.
Why does it seem 40 guns converted to 9 run better than 9mm guns?

Frailer
09-07-17, 19:50
I prefer Gen3s as a general rule, but largely because that's the generation I started with when I began shooting Glocks, and I have a lot of Gen3 parts. My Gen2 and Gen4 guns work just fine.

The brass-to-face issue has always been a mystery to me. I have no doubt it exists, but it seems to be shooter (as well as ammo) dependent. For example, I have a Gen3 Glock 17 that hasn't given me a single issue in over 5,000 rounds, but my son (a decent shooter who's considerably bigger and stronger than me and grips the snot out out of a pistol) caught two cases to the center of his forehead when he shot a single magazine through it.

MountainRaven
09-08-17, 00:16
Now that I've fondled all but a Gen1....

Pre-Gen4 RTF2
Vickers RTF2 (chiefly for collectibility, secondarily for all the extra stuff that you'd likely want to put on/in the gun, anyway)
Gen5 (for 9mms)
Gen4 for everything else.

Gen1-3 guns have grips that are basically bars of soap next to RTF2s and Gen4 and Gen5 Glocks, and I would advise having the gun stippled.

Doc Safari
09-08-17, 09:05
Gen1-3 guns have grips that are basically bars of soap next to RTF2s and Gen4 and Gen5 Glocks, and I would advise having the gun stippled.

I agree. I was totally a fan of Gen 2 and Gen 3 until I handled one with sweaty hands in an HD situation. Very eye-opening. That plastic grip becomes very slippery and almost impossible to control effectively.

tom12.7
09-08-17, 19:09
Similar could be said with some for gloves with the generation differences. Glove types can vary for usage, they are definitely not all the same.