PDA

View Full Version : stock swap

yotesmoker
09-05-17, 08:02
I have a magpul ctr stock on a windom ar and a standard adj stock on a colt 15A3.i SAW ON UTUBE HOW TO REMOVE EACH JUST BY PULLING DOWN ON A PART OF THE STOCK.Since the magpul came off a commercial tube and the colt is milspect will it cause a problem if i just swap the two stocks?

HeruMew
09-05-17, 08:05
Yes.

Commercial and milspec dimensions are different.

If i recall. The Commercial will fit on the Milsepc, but rattle. The milspec will not fit on the commercial tube as the inner diameter will be too small on the Milspec.

I think I am recalling correctly.

Duffy
09-05-17, 09:40
That's correct. A commercial stock will fit a milspec receiver extension but rattle, while a milspec stock will not work on a commercial receiver extension.

The rattle isn't too bad, just slightly annoying.

titsonritz
09-05-17, 11:16
A little more than you are after but...

Milspec RE are 7075T6 hammer-drawn 1.145" dia. tubes have more thread engagement area, and a breaking strength of 75 lbs.

Commercial 1.17" dia tubes are 6061T6 alloy, are lathe turned and milled, with a welded end, have less thread engagement area, and break at approx 45 lbs. The problem with them is that the threaded section is also 1.170, so the threads are not cut to full “height” and do not fully engage the threads in the receiver. When commercial tubes fail, they often pull the threads out of the receiver.

HeruMew
09-05-17, 11:22

Milspec RE are 7075T6 hammer-drawn 1.145" dia. tubes have more thread engagement area, and a breaking strength of 75 lbs.

Commercial 1.17" dia tubes are 6061T6 alloy, are lathe turned and milled, with a welded end, have less thread engagement area, and break at approx 45 lbs. The problem with them is that the threaded section is also 1.170, so the threads are not cut to full “height” and do not fully engage the threads in the receiver. When commercial tubes fail, they often pull the threads out of the receiver.

I was never going to get commercial, ever, anyways; but this opened my eyes to the true behind the scenes. Will never risk a receiver like that.

titsonritz
09-05-17, 11:46
I was never going to get commercial, ever, anyways; but this opened my eyes to the true behind the scenes. Will never risk a receiver like that.

The funny thing is some people actually think a commercial stock is stronger because they have thicker walls, WRONG.

GH41
09-05-17, 14:15
If you like the CTR just buy another one for the Colt. You can find them for under $50 shipped. You could swap the tubes but it would be blasphemy to put a commercial tube on the Colt and a waste of a good part to put the Colt tube on the Windom rifle.

GH41
09-05-17, 14:24
Here is a used one. Not sure if it is commercial or mill or he would separate the sling. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?199672-Magpul-CTR-and-MS3-Sling

everready73
09-05-17, 20:52

Just to add to this some lower tier companies have milspec sized RE that are only 6061 aluminum. Milspec with stocks is a little misleading with some manufacturers because a "milspec" RE is often times referring to the diameter and not the material used. It could be milspec sized but not 7075. Go with known quality and check the specs