PDA

View Full Version : Go-To/Training Rifle

MikeCLeonard
10-06-08, 16:53
Heres my question of opinion for you guys.

I currently have an LMT MRP w/10.5" barrel, and a Noveske N4 with 14.5" barrel and I'm trying to decide which would be a best Go-To/Training class rifle.

The rifle is going to be used for training classes which I'd like to start participating in and I'd like your input on the plusses and minuses of each option. I guess I'm more interested in your thoughts of a 10.5" vs. 14.5" barreled rifle more than Noveske vs. LMT...because I know that they are both of pretty much same quality.

This rifle will be shot suppressed with a AAC M4-2000 as well. I don't plan on switching calibers with the MRP...so that feature isn't really a plus for the MRP for my uses.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

-Mike

theJanitor
10-06-08, 16:57
train with whatever system you would most likely employ. training with a rifle that's different is silly, IMO

reliability and accuracy are non-issues to me. you'll learn how reliable the weapon is, how to make it better, how to keep it right through the training. and you'll learn the limits of it's accuracy as well.

LOKNLOD
10-06-08, 17:05
If the suppressor is going to be involved the majority of the time, the 10.5+suppressor makes a handier package than 14.5+suppressor.

If the suppressor is just added in certain situations the 14.5 might be a "nicer" shooter the rest of the time. All things considered I'd be inclined to say 14.5 is going to be more reliable overall, as the 10.5 is more likely to be finicky about ammo or buffer weight or something. There are more threads about people needing help getting their 10.5's running 100% than needing help with their 14.5s...

Grey
10-06-08, 18:30
I think theJanitor hit the nail on the head. I would spend my training budget and ammo supply using the rifle I would most likely grab in an “Oh Shit” moment. Or the rifle I will have on hand most of the time for its intended purpose be it self defense or what have you.

In most classes that I have taken I have switched between a rifle or two or three without any issues. You may as well take both rifles with you. Put them both through their paces and see how they shake out. Hard training is a great test for you and your gear. I for one like it when things fail in training. It gives me an opportunity to evaluate my gear and make changes as needed as well as identify and deficiencies and limits.

Patrick Aherne
10-06-08, 21:22
If it's a serious rifle it will have a pinnned front sight base and a barrel nut that will, hopefully, not come loose when you need it. That means my choice would be the N4.

MikeCLeonard
10-06-08, 22:28
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

So that is another question. Is there really any downside to running a flip up or bolt on front sight on a working gun? With the MRP, the gas block will be protected by the rail...but do they have a greater chance of coming loose? I will make sure that all bolt on additions to the rifle are locktighted but I know thats not fail proof.

I also had a little bit of a concern that the 10.5" barrel would be a lot tougher on my suppressor. I would probably use the suppressor about 35% of my shooting time.

With the MRP being a quality 10.5" unit, do you guys foresee less reliability and ammo compatibility with it over the Noveske?

Which ever of these two rifles I chose for a training gun, it will also be my go-to rifle.

SethB
10-07-08, 01:21
If it's a serious rifle it will have a pinnned front sight base and a barrel nut that will, hopefully, not come loose when you need it. That means my choice would be the N4.

Why the pinned front sight? Why not bolted and loctited on?

rob_s
10-07-08, 05:29
All else being equal, I don't see an issue with switching back and forth between the two.

Keep the same grip, stock, controls, optics (or at least type of optics), forend, etc. and switching back and forth will be a non-issue. You might find this (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/11801.html) to be of some interest, as my goal when building these two rifles was exactly that. The brown rifle has since become the black rifle (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/12901.html) and I need to finish updating the green rifle to match.

I don't see much value in training with the can on. I've done it, and I'll probably continue to do it from time to time, but it's more for the fun of it and to get some rounds through the can (although I don't know what the point of that is either) more than anything else.

I agree with the whole "train as you'd fight" thing, but there's also a point of diminishing returns and you need to make the most of your training situation as well. If all non-LE civilians "trained as we'd fight", we'd all be running around the range in out boxer shorts and pink bunny slippers with a spare mag wedged in the crack of our asses.

My #1 requirement for any gun, training or defense, is reliability. If you know that both are equally reliable, then you need to start to look at ergonomics, weight, etc.

bullitt5172
10-07-08, 07:17
All else being equal, I don't see an issue with switching back and forth between the two.

Keep the same grip, stock, controls, optics (or at least type of optics), forend, etc. and switching back and forth will be a non-issue. You might find this (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/11801.html) to be of some interest, as my goal when building these two rifles was exactly that. The brown rifle has since become the black rifle (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/12901.html) and I need to finish updating the green rifle to match.

I don't see much value in training with the can on. I've done it, and I'll probably continue to do it from time to time, but it's more for the fun of it and to get some rounds through the can (although I don't know what the point of that is either) more than anything else.

I agree with the whole "train as you'd fight" thing, but there's also a point of diminishing returns and you need to make the most of your training situation as well. If all non-LE civilians "trained as we'd fight", we'd all be running around the range in out boxer shorts and pink bunny slippers with a spare mag wedged in the crack of our asses.
My #1 requirement for any gun, training or defense, is reliability. If you know that both are equally reliable, then you need to start to look at ergonomics, weight, etc.

:D

I also have multiple handguns (Glock G19's) and AR's set up exactly the same. One for training/range time and one for carry/SHTF scenarios. Since I cannot legally own a 10.5" in MI, I would be forced to use the 14.5" and I think I would still pick the N4 even if I could own a SBR.

MikeCLeonard
10-08-08, 10:13
I really would like to just use both to see which one turns out best...but due to money constraints I'm likely going to sell which ever I don't keep for this rifle.

Do people just not trust the 10.5" guns as much for reliability issues?

RD62
10-08-08, 11:26
I have a 16" and a 10.5". Essentially setup the same except for barrel length.

The 10.5" has it's uses, but it's short lengths handicap it with ammo that is dependent on velocity to fragment, especially at longer ranges. It shines in its increased maneuverability.

I think as an all around rifle the N4 is a better choice.

-RD62