PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1100 Tactical

old grunt
10-06-08, 18:06
Thinking about picking one up. All opinions welcome. Especially interested in if I can mount a SureFire easily and a set of after-market ghost-ring sights. A good sling set-up would be nice also. Thanks guys!!

billpete
10-06-08, 23:13
I have one--one of the "older" green ones.

I have left it stock, so I cannot help you with the aftermarket questions that you have.

It eats everything that I feed it--for lighter loads (7 1/2 shot, etc), I found that the Remington ammunition feeds better than anything else. Shoots everything else great!

I hope that helps--I really enjoy mine. I see a Mesa Tactical Side Saddle/Rail Combo in my future for it.

BP

old grunt
10-07-08, 13:37
THANKS BillPete!!!!!:D

uscbigdawg
10-08-08, 23:39
All the way!

Nothing wrong with these, but I think they're over priced. Frankly, for what you're getting, pick up one that are usually SUPER cheap after duck season and then add the goodies on it that come in the package.

I would say an 11-87 over the 1100 is something to consider due to the stainless mag tube and delayed gas system which is supposed to handle light loads better than the 1100. With some really minor tweaking, my 1100 handles everything!

Rich

packinheavy
10-13-08, 09:13
All the way!

Nothing wrong with these, but I think they're over priced. Frankly, for what you're getting, pick up one that are usually SUPER cheap after duck season and then add the goodies on it that come in the package.!

Rich

That is what I did. It looks a little odd with the engraved receiver and the chrome bolt but it shoots great.

I think I paid a little over $250 for the base gun.

forgiven
10-13-08, 20:12
All the way!

Nothing wrong with these, but I think they're over priced. Frankly, for what you're getting, pick up one that are usually SUPER cheap after duck season and then add the goodies on it that come in the package.

I would say an 11-87 over the 1100 is something to consider due to the stainless mag tube and delayed gas system which is supposed to handle light loads better than the 1100. With some really minor tweaking, my 1100 handles everything!

Rich

+1, I went with the 11-87 police model

blackscot
10-14-08, 10:47
......I would say an 11-87 over the 1100 is something to consider due to the stainless mag tube and delayed gas system which is supposed to handle light loads better.......

Be sure you know what this is about, before spending money and then finding out the hard way (like I did...... :confused: ......... :mad: )

What Remington calls their "pressure compensation gas system" is specific to particular barrels, not to the receiver of the gun. The gas ports on compensated barrels are fitted with a ring-shaped spring that seals in pressure at the lower levels of light loads, but that opens to allow it to bleed off under the high pressure of heavier loads. Thus, reliable with light loads but safe (non-blowing up) with heavy loads.

The compensated barrels only come in longer, generally vent-ribbed configurations. Shorter barrels (probably intended for deer hunting and/or self defense) do not have the compensation feature and will only reliably cycle the action with the full impulse of heavier loads. See here:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/original_factory_barrels.asp

The store clerk where I bought my 21-inch 11-87 assured me that it was designed to handle all kinds of ammo. He also discounted any question I had about pressure compensation (which I hadn't yet fully learned of). It was clear to me in hindsight that he knew nothing about it either. :rolleyes:

See thread I ran at the time here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11524

uscbigdawg
10-14-08, 20:34
Note that I said, "supposed to handle light loads better than the 1100". Further I state that with some minor tweaking, it doesn't take much to make an 1100 gobble everything.

Rich

blackscot
10-15-08, 05:53
Not meant as a rebuke -- just trying to pass along the benefit of a somewhat negative experience.