PDA

View Full Version : Windham Weaponry SRC Gas Block Removal

M4CarbineRob
09-12-17, 11:33
Ive been building ARs for a few years now and ive never had a rifles gas block be so damn stubborn. Ive done everything to move these gas block taper pins. and still no luck. Ive measured to ensure im tapping them the correct direction. applied WD40 and Croil. And still nothing. I dont wanna use a press, but that might be what i need, yet I only have a vice. Any input?

Iraqgunz
09-12-17, 16:42
Do you mean an FSB or a low profile gas block? All the Windhams I have seen with gas blocks use set screws.

M4CarbineRob
09-12-17, 16:47
This one is a sight ready carbine. Its a high gas block with NO iron sight. Its just a gas block with a high accessory rail. I wanna go with a free float hand guard and install a low pro but this gas block just wont come off. Thanks.

Iraqgunz
09-12-17, 17:56
Pictures or a link would be great.

This one is a sight ready carbine. Its a high gas block with NO iron sight. Its just a gas block with a high accessory rail. I wanna go with a free float hand guard and install a low pro but this gas block just wont come off. Thanks.

titsonritz
09-12-17, 18:09
Pictures or a link would be great.

Pretty sure he is talking about one of these. https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collections/upper-receiver-assemblies/products/ur16midftb

I can't see why your normal method would not work.

Iraqgunz describes his method in this thread (post#7): Remove and reinstall front sight? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172822-Remove-and-reinstall-front-sight&highlight=taper) It works beautifully.

M4CarbineRob
09-12-17, 18:13
Ill give it a try. But Ive hit it with almost every punch and hammer combo I have in my inventory, FYI im a machinist so I have a huge assortment of punches, And its still not working. Almost seems like the taper pins were annodized before they were put in the weapon. But I will try again.

sucker76
09-12-17, 20:35
I have the same rifle. I took the gas block off and had no difficulty. Take another look. There is something wrong with what you are doing. Dumb question; have you tried to tap the pins from the other direction? If one way doesn't work try another.

M4CarbineRob
09-12-17, 20:37
I have the same rifle. I took the gas block off and had no difficulty. Take another look. There is something wrong with what you are doing. Dumb question; have you tried to tap the pins from the other direction? If one way doesn't work try another.

I measured the pins. Im hammering from the smaller side. Yeah im gonna put it on my bench again tomorrow. Give her another try. Ill let the croil soak in for 48 hours as my buddy told me to do. He has the same rifle and said mine is being a pain in the ass.

boss281
09-12-17, 22:37
I have the same rifle and love it as is. I'm curious what you're doing with the rifle...?

M4CarbineRob
09-12-17, 22:58
I have the same rifle and love it as is. I'm curious what you're doing with the rifle...?

Going to put a free float handguard, Most likely BCM Lightweight 15", Geislle Bomb proof Gas Block, New Muzzle Device, Vortex Strikefire 2 with 3x magnifier and front and rear Troy folding Iron Sights, New trigger and BCG. Havent decided on those 2 yet. Setting up for 3 gun and just eye candy for my buddies to be jelly.

hk_shootr
09-13-17, 05:33
What punch and what weight hammer are you using?
Generally, a shocking blow is what breaks them free.
The barrel and gas block also need to be properly supported so the impact can be transferred.

boss281
09-13-17, 06:03
Going to put a free float handguard, Most likely BCM Lightweight 15", Geislle Bomb proof Gas Block, New Muzzle Device, Vortex Strikefire 2 with 3x magnifier and front and rear Troy folding Iron Sights, New trigger and BCG. Havent decided on those 2 yet. Setting up for 3 gun and just eye candy for my buddies to be jelly.Nice. I've used the strikefire2 on my src for defensive carbine classes and bench shooting. Its also on my PCC 9mm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

M4CarbineRob
09-13-17, 10:52
What punch and what weight hammer are you using?
Generally, a shocking blow is what breaks them free.
The barrel and gas block also need to be properly supported so the impact can be transferred.

Im using a 15oz ball peen and a cup nose punch, and its being supported by a Brownells FSB removal tool. So Im gonna let the croil soak in from last night. And see if it comes out.

titsonritz
09-13-17, 11:00
Im using a 15oz ball peen and a cup nose punch, and its being supported by a Brownells FSB removal tool. So Im gonna let the croil soak in from last night. And see if it comes out.

Go read that thread I linked, that punch and puck are specifically talked about as the wrong tools. You want to you a large flat head punch and barrel clamp, that puck just acts as a shock absorber defeating the shock force removal of the pins.

M4CarbineRob
09-13-17, 11:27
Go read that thread I linked, that punch and puck are specifically talked about as the wrong tools. You want to you a large flat head punch and barrel clamp, that puck just acts as a shock absorber defeating the shock force removal of the pins.

Ok. I will go read it thoroughly.

masakari
09-13-17, 17:56
I recently had a Colt rifle which had a gas block that was impossible to remove. I broke four punches and even one on a hydraulic press trying to get the pins out, and eventually had to cut it off of the barrel.