PDA

View Full Version : new member asking for help

texasrangers
10-06-08, 20:07
First of all, this is one of the most helpful and informative forums I've ever visited. The best in fact. The AR chart by Rob_s is such a great tool, thank you. I am new to the AR platform and until about a week ago wanted an M1A, but have since changed my mind for various reasons. Basically this is what I was thinking:

a 16 inch LMT upper $485
Enhanced LMT BCG $289
Charles Daly Lower $290

What do you guys (the experts) think about this? Do you guys think its really necessary to get the enhanced BCG? I am never going to sell this rifle I just want something that will still go bang when my grandson has it because chances are he'll never be able to buy his own gun. According to the Chart, the Charles Daly lowers are very good - I think. What is the word on these? Should I get something else that is better? Or should I get something else that is just as good for less $? I also will need a carry handle with rear sight - or a good flip up sight - where can I get these? Any and all help is appreciated.

rob_s
10-06-08, 20:26
Skip the enhanced and save yourself $160. Otherwise looks good.

Take a look at the Larue Tactical fixed rear sight, or the Troy flipup. Which you choose will depend on the optic you choose. For a 1x red dot sight, go with the Larue.

C4IGrant
10-06-08, 21:10
As Rob said, skip the enhanced BCG. Your upper and lower choices are good.

C4

texasrangers
10-06-08, 22:39
Could yo

texasrangers
10-06-08, 22:52
Accidentally hit enter - could you guys link me to a thread explaining what I would have to do to put these parts together. Hopefully a video would help. Can I just pop them in and go or do I need tools and whatnot. Thanks. Also, do you think I would be better off going with a BCM upper and BCG since LMT doesnt know the specs or what moly grease is.

rob_s
10-07-08, 04:39
less than what she does here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlRdYbD07A).

Basically, no more than you'd normally have to do for cleaning anyway.

bkb0000
10-07-08, 05:40
Accidentally hit enter - could you guys link me to a thread explaining what I would have to do to put these parts together. Hopefully a video would help. Can I just pop them in and go or do I need tools and whatnot. Thanks. Also, do you think I would be better off going with a BCM upper and BCG since LMT doesnt know the specs or what moly grease is.

I have no experience with BCM- they're brand new, and I'm not a rich man- but everyone around here hails them as being smithed by the Almighty Lord God Himself. I'm convinced enough that i'd buy one, for a service gun.

To assemble a complete upper and complete lower, just pop out the two pins in the lower, plop on the upper, push the pins back in, and you have a fully functional flyswatter.

as far as the enhanced LMT FA BCG.... it's 160 bucks, why not? I don't know how old your grandkids are, but BCGs are the hardest working parts on the whole thunderstick.

LMT doesnt know what specs? Grease has no place in an AR. You want oil or even a CLP for all those tiny moving parts.

Robb Jensen
10-07-08, 05:46
I have no experience with BCM- they're brand new, and I'm not a rich man- but everyone around here hails them as being smithed by the Almighty Lord God Himself. I'm convinced enough that i'd buy one, for a service gun.

To assemble a complete upper and complete lower, just pop out the two pins in the lower, plop on the upper, push the pins back in, and you have a fully functional flyswatter.

as far as the enhanced LMT FA BCG.... it's 160 bucks, why not? I don't know how old your grandkids are, but BCGs are the hardest working parts on the whole thunderstick.

LMT doesnt know what specs? Grease has no place in an AR. You want oil or even a CLP for all those tiny moving parts.

The BCM upper has a small gas port because the barrel is chambered in 5.56mm NATO. Using the LMT enhanced carrier which is designed for 14.5" machineguns, most of which will have had the gas ports eroded larger than stock. The LMT enhanced carrier has a larger expansion chamber and which vents off more gas thus slowing the bolt velocity. Started off with this can cause short stroking etc with weaker ammo and or lack of lube.

bkb0000
10-07-08, 05:57
The BCM upper has a small gas port......... The LMT enhanced carrier has a larger expansion chamber.........

Are you saying the enhanced FA BCG is a bad mix with BCM specifically, or that it's no good for anything but a FA with 11" barrel?

bkb0000
10-07-08, 05:58
14.5, my bad.

Robb Jensen
10-07-08, 06:00
14.5, my bad.

The LMT enhanced carrier is designed to vent off excessive gas volume to slow the cyclic rate of guns with large gas ports. BCM barrels have small gas ports and thus NO excessive gas volume.

spamsammich
10-07-08, 06:03
Does it seem like more and more people are inquiring about the enhanced BCG? Where are people getting it in their heads that they need this item?

bkb0000
10-07-08, 06:10
Gotcha. BCM = no LMT FA EBCG. Well my recommendation for the EBCG was based on his original LMT upper plan.

As I said, i am BCM ig'nant.

bkb0000
10-07-08, 06:16
Does it seem like more and more people are inquiring about the enhanced BCG? Where are people getting it in their heads that they need this item?

The claim is they're tougher... we all like tough, dont we?

spamsammich
10-07-08, 06:18
I'd skip the enhanced bcg with LMT uppers too. FWIW, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the moly grease used on the 3 LMT uppers I have in my possession. Not sure what spec you feel LMT ignores, but all of the LMT stuff in my house has been good to go. Some are not museum pieces, but I don't build safe queens.

Robb Jensen
10-07-08, 06:20

Because some people don't want to take the time to actually learn to understand how the AR works, they do a few hours of research and then find that CAR length ARs can many times can benefit from a few fixes.
Then they buy as many of these 'fixes' as they can: Meaning super heavy buffers and extra power CAR buffer springs and Crane O-rings and extra power extractor springs and get an adjustable gas or larger volume gas tube. Then they end up with an AR that cycles slower than a rifle length 20" gun and then wonder why their gun is short-stoking or failing to feed with Wolf or other .223 pressure ammo.

There's an old saying that goes like this “The Path To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions”

rob_s
10-07-08, 06:29
It's also simply the term "enhanced". If basic is good, enhanced must be better, right?

Like GotM4 said, you take a guy with a perfectly serviceable 6920 and he adds an "enhanced" BCG with an extra power extractor spring and an o-ring, an H3 buffer and an extra power buffer spring, and then shoots Wolf and wonders why it won't cycle.

Most people just need to leave well enough alone. There are very few shooters who can actually tell a difference in a buffer weight change when it is merited or useful. I ain't one of 'em.

Jay Cunningham
10-07-08, 06:29
There's an old saying that goes like this “The Path To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions”

How about "If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It"...