PDA

View Full Version : New Apple devices 9/2017 Livestream

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-12-17, 13:12
It would be interesting to watch the release, but my up-to-date MacBookPro won't stream the video on Apple's website in Chrome, Firefox or even Safari. Safari doesn't even give any ways to update to make it work.

So to watch Apple's livestream I have to use Google's Youtube.

Great work there Apple.

Moose-Knuckle
09-13-17, 02:58
I've heard that the iPhone X (ten not "x" Apple hates it being called the "x" lol) will be $1k.

ggammell
09-13-17, 05:33
Due for an upgrade for my 6s but there's nothing here calling my name. The X appears nice but no way I'm dropping a grand on a phone.

Arik
09-13-17, 05:43
I upgrade when my phones die. There's no way I'm spending that kind of money only to do it all over again in a few years! My work phone is still a iPhone4 in 3G. My personal phone was upgraded last year from a Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Motorola Zforce

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
09-13-17, 07:27
I've heard that the iPhone X (ten not "x" Apple hates it being called the "x" lol) will be $1k.

And that's just for the base 64gb model. The only other version, the 256gb model is something like $1,149. The phone looks nice but doesn't seem like a big enough jump in tech from what Samsung has had. Plus I don't want facial recognition as my login.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 07:35
Yeah, screw that.

For that kind of cash I can buy a Hytera PDC760 and never buy a phone again.

Ned Christiansen
09-13-17, 07:36
I got talked into an iPhone a couple years ago and I absolutely despise it. Then Apple started invading my computer with crap associated with the iPhone. I'm to the point where I'm ready to do anything to get rid of it.

Not to mention, the outfit that makes them for Apple being essentially a gulag where workers are treated poorly. I believe it was 2014 they had ten workforce suicides? I know it's practically impossible to avoid made in China when talking electronics and no doubt the whole industry over there is the same regardless of the brand that goes on it. Before I take the axe to the iPhone I need to see if any other brand is maybe made in Mexico or Japan or wherever.

TacticalFun
09-13-17, 08:52
That new iphone s8 they announced is 2 years too late. But...will be purchased in the millions.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

skywalkrNCSU
09-13-17, 08:59
I don't get all the fuss over the $1k price, yeah it crossed into the five figure range but we have been hovering around there for a while now. If you go back and account for inflation and the phone company subsidies back in the day we weren't that far off. Also, considering the amount that I use my phone compared to almost anything else in my life it's not absurd to think it's worth ~$40 a month for two years. I'm on year three of my iPhone 6 so you can definitely get even more value than that. I mean, I just dropped $500 on a Yeti cooler that I'll use a few times a year and have for use in case of emergencies, spending twice that for something I use a lot every single day doesn't seem unreasonable.

Now all that said, I'm going to wait on the reviews for this one. I like the home button and Touch ID so it will be interesting to hear how the face id actually works. Also, I wish they never got rid of the headphone jack but at least I like the idea of wireless charging.

Hmac
09-13-17, 09:09
The $1000 doesn't bother me...I remember paying $900+ for a Motorola StarTac flip phone 20 years ago. Besides, it's a company expense...but I don't see the iPhone X as providing enough bang-for-buck over my iPhone 7. The upgrades are mostly cosmetic doo-dads. I don't care about the incremental camera resolution, nor do I care about an all-glass face, or an OLED screen. The biggest thing I'd like is the facial recognition for point-of-sale payment, but I don't want a phone that won't fit in the pocket of my biking shorts. I'm pretty much all-in on the Apple infrastructure, so a different phone platform isn't even the slightest bit desirable for me. Given my experience with iPhone longevity, I'm confident that my iPhone 7 will last me until the iPhone 9.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 09:23
My gripe is that it should do something other than make phone calls and surf the web if they're gonna jack up the price.

Like, what, exactly does it do that a 7 doesn't? I don't need a 20-core Cray Supercomputer to check my e-mail and browse M4C.

A feature that would be worth paying extra for is upgradable storage, hot-swappable batteries, and a built-in software-defined radio receiver.

Apple, and Samsung have constantly sold the same shit in a new package for years with some new software features. Given my personal usage, the battery issue is the biggest one; after about a year, my battery is shit-on-toast, and I'm cognizant of BMPs regarding lithium battery care. That shit is unacceptable.

So help me, my Samsung S7 Edge is the last phone I will buy from either of the big two. If I don't pick up the aformentioned multi-mode offering from Hytera, I may just go back to a dumb phone.

I don't get all the fuss over the $1k price, yeah it crossed into the five figure range but we have been hovering around there for a while now.

skywalkrNCSU
09-13-17, 09:37
My gripe is that it should do something other than make phone calls and surf the web if they're gonna jack up the price.

Like, what, exactly does it do that a 7 doesn't? I don't need a 20-core Cray Supercomputer to check my e-mail and browse M4C.

A feature that would be worth paying extra for is upgradable storage, hot-swappable batteries, and a built-in software-defined radio receiver.

Apple, and Samsung have constantly sold the same shit in a new package for years with some new software features. Given my personal usage, the battery issue is the biggest one; after about a year, my battery is shit-on-toast, and I'm cognizant of BMPs regarding lithium battery care. That shit is unacceptable.

So help me, my Samsung S7 Edge is the last phone I will buy from either of the big two. If I don't pick up the aformentioned multi-mode offering from Hytera, I may just go back to a dumb phone.

There is a reason I'm on year three of my iPhone 6, The advancements are not that great but eventually these things slow down and that's why I upgrade. The augmented reality stuff they are doing seems pretty cool but not worth the upgrade alone.

I would gladly pay for a new version of my current phone that was thicker to put a bigger battery in and just upgrade the internals. We have reached a point where it is hard to be truly innovative in the smartphone world but I have reached a point where I hardly even use a computer for non-work purposes and my phone has taken over that role.

Also, they haven't jacked the price up that much. I think the top of the line iPhone 7 runs like $960 and I'm sure I paid over $800 for my iPhone 6 almost three years ago. Those have been pretty standard prices for a while.

TMS951
09-13-17, 09:38

The screen on the X is an notable improvement over the 8 and all non OLED screens. OLED is very impressive in person, is more about the color and contrast than it is about resolution. Personally I'll buy the X. I have a 6 and skipped the 6+ and 7 because of no real improvement. Th OLED does cost more to make.

Wake27
09-13-17, 09:46
I feel like I'm the only one that likes the iPhone but hates the Mac. They really don't sync that well for me and the computer is way more difficult to use than a windows PC. I still have a 6 and am just hoping that the price on the 7 comes down. Usually I upgrade to the newest whenever my current one dies, but I have no desire to pay that much as I've never had a phone that technically died.

TAZ
09-13-17, 09:57
I'm due for an upgrade since my son needs a phone. The added doo-dads of the X are unimpressive. Ohhh animoji. For fuk sake a $1k device for making faces at people. Awesome. About the only interesting feature is the added screen real estate without a size increase. To me the rest are useless for now.

I'll have to see how the pricing on 7+ drops or how aggressive refurbs are priced before deciding if I want an 8+.

WillBrink
09-13-17, 10:11
Due for an upgrade for my 6s but there's nothing here calling my name. The X appears nice but no way I'm dropping a grand on a phone.

That sums up my take as well. When my 6 is done, I'll do what I always do, grab last years model (in this case a 7) and save a bunch of $ not needing the latest greatest phone.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 10:13
That's prudent. There's, for me, zero functional difference between my current phone and an old iPhone 4S.

That sums up my take as well. When my 6 is done, I'll do what I always do, grab last years model (in this case a 7) and save a bunch of $ not needing the latest greatest phone.

WillBrink
09-13-17, 10:31
That's prudent. There's, for me, zero functional difference between my current phone and an old iPhone 4S.

I find huge functional difference between the 5s I had, much less the 4s, and the 6+ I have and am happy I got it. I do see serious diminishing returns with the 7 and up however in terms of functions I care about. This could be my last apple OS based phone. There are now some really impressive android based phones for a lot less $ than an iphone, and I have been 100% apple guy since my first comp late 80s.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-13-17, 10:39
I find huge functional difference between the 5s I had, much less the 4s, and the 6+ I have and am happy I got it. I do see serious diminishing returns with the 7 and up however in terms of functions I care about. This could be my last apple OS based phone. There are now some really impressive android based phones for a lot less $ than an iphone, and I have been 100% apple guy since my first comp late 80s.

This is where I am at. I have had an Iphone for a long time, but more than likely my 7s will be my last apple phone. I was very close to switching when I got this one, and I just don't see myself getting a 10 or whatever comes after that.

Det-Sog
09-13-17, 10:41
I always skip a generation, so I'm still running the 6s. As I travel for a living and spend a ton of time OCONUS and in airports, having a decent smart phone is critical. I agree though that the tech has been fairly stagnant over the last few years. The weakness is the battery life and memory capacity. The apps take more and more memory, as well as new music and movies. Have to bring movies on the road....

So... Perhaps I'll wait for the 10 (F-the "X"), so that the price on the 8 becomes more manageable.

Yes, I also agree that this live facial emoji thing is just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. These "stoopid Snowflake tricks" just keep getting stoopider. Intentionally misspelled for effect.

VARIABLE9
09-13-17, 10:42
I'm due for an upgrade since my son needs a phone. The added doo-dads of the X are unimpressive. Ohhh animoji. For fuk sake a $1k device for making faces at people. Awesome. About the only interesting feature is the added screen real estate without a size increase. To me the rest are useless for now.

I'll have to see how the pricing on 7+ drops or how aggressive refurbs are priced before deciding if I want an 8+.Spot on. The features are aimed at kids who Snapchat, text dumb shit, and IG or Tweet all day long. No substance to the 'upgrades'.
I'll replace my 6 soon with a plus model for the bigger screen. But no X for sure.

Hmac
09-13-17, 10:47

I think that's an increasingly common sentiment as Apple lapses into ho-hum incremental improvements across its lineup rather than the ground-breaking advances in mobile and desktop computing that got them where they are today. I'm sure that Tim Cook would be a competent CEO at most big corporations, but he sure ain't no Steve Jobs and he's demonstrated a general lack of ability to set the stage for Apple's ongoing preeminence in the world of consumer computing. For me, cost isn't an object and diminishing returns aren't a big deal. The current iPhone/iPad products exceed my mobile needs, and their seamless integration into my entire computer paradigm gives me no reason contemplate any change. It would take either a major failure at Apple or a major advance in some other mobile platform before I'd switch, and I don't see either happening in the foreseeable future.

WillBrink
09-13-17, 10:48
Spot on. The features are aimed at kids who Snapchat, text dumb shit, and IG or Tweet all day long. No substance to the 'upgrades'.
I'll replace my 6 soon with a plus model for the bigger screen. But no X for sure.

The + screen is worth it in my experience and it's superior in other ways than standard 6.

usmcvet
09-13-17, 10:50
I upgrade when my phones die. There's no way I'm spending that kind of money only to do it all over again in a few years! My work phone is still a iPhone4 in 3G. My personal phone was upgraded last year from a Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Motorola Zforce

Damn old school. An iPhone 5SE was $0.99 yesterday when I looked on my business account. I like my 7 but might get a 7plus if the price drops. My eyes would appreciate it!

VARIABLE9
09-13-17, 10:50
The + screen is worth it in my experience and it's superior in other ways than standard 6.
Just need to decide 7+ or 8+...!

Arik
09-13-17, 10:54
Damn old school. An iPhone 5SE was $0.99 yesterday when I looked on my business account. I like my 7 but might get a 7plus if the price drops. My eyes would appreciate it!Lol.

To be fair I don't need it to do anything new. Calls and txt is all I need for work. Everything else I have my personal phone

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/45b79e22ea1167164176f0cee600322b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/c4c858b8cf5ea9c9fef12817e0227d5d.jpg

WillBrink
09-13-17, 11:06
I think that's an increasingly common sentiment as Apple lapses into ho-hum incremental improvements across its lineup rather than the ground-breaking advances in mobile and desktop computing that got them where they are today. I'm sure that Tim Cook would be a competent CEO at most big corporations, but he sure ain't no Steve Jobs and he's demonstrated a general lack of ability to set the stage for Apple's ongoing preeminence in the world of consumer computing. For me, cost isn't an object and diminishing returns aren't a big deal. The current iPhone/iPad products exceed my mobile needs, and their seamless integration into my entire computer paradigm gives me no reason contemplate any change. It would take either a major failure at Apple or a major advance in some other mobile platform before I'd switch, and I don't see either happening in the foreseeable future.

That's the major reason I remain an Apple head, but that benefit alone may not justify future purchases.

Arik
09-13-17, 11:17

So help me, my Samsung S7 Edge is the last phone I will buy from either of the big two. If I don't pick up the aformentioned multi-mode offering from Hytera, I may just go back to a dumb phone.After having 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 (dropped and broke the first one) I went to Motorola. The Droid X was my first smart phone and I really liked how it was practically bullet proof. Had it for something like 5 years and one day it died. Turned off and that was all. Bought a S4 and dropped it from my desk a few days later. Smashed the whole screen. Got a second one and a thick ass cover. That one lasted 4 years. Last year I went back to Motorola with their new Z force. It had almost no bloatware despite coming from Version, comprable screen size, not the best camera but far from bad but most importantly it's still bullet proof. No more thick covers. I've dropped this thing dozens of times and the other day it went flying down a set of concrete steps. Aside from some dings on the aluminum side panels it's like new

Hmac
09-13-17, 11:23
That's the major reason I remain an Apple head, but that benefit alone may not justify future purchases.

Something better comes along, I'm on it. Can't imagine what it would be though....the rest of the computer world has always relied on Apple as the target that moves them forward. Apple may have lost some of its imagination mojo, but relative to paradigm shifts, they're still leagues ahead of the rest of the industry.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 11:27
Wrong.

Can't imagine what it would be though....the rest of the computer world has always relied on Apple as the target that moves them forward.

Hmac
09-13-17, 12:06
Wrong.

No, not wrong, but I did forget to add "IMHO".

kwelz
09-13-17, 12:08
Wrong.

Not really. The industry tends to follow apple in a general sense.

This isn't to say that apple is always 1st with something. Or the absolute best implementation of something. But they are the one who usually knows how to bring something to the masses.

Honestly I was hoping to be blown away by the iPhone X. I was left feeling pretty meh... But that doesn't change the way the industry as a whole has followed apple. The original iPhone completely shook up the old phone market. The iPad brought about the tablet craze and is really responsible for modern 2 in 1 laptops.

They have also been responsible for less obvious but far reaching changes. They were primarily responsible for the big push from a myriad of old ports to the mass adoption of USB.

Have they always been right? Have they always hit a home run? Nope, of course not. But you cant' ignore the impact they have had on the tech world. Although to be fair I feel they have been slipping since Steve Jobs passed away.

Firefly
09-13-17, 12:20
Wrong, WRONG

Apple is some of the most backward, inbred (like literally from an OS standpoint) system where they have oppressive EULAs ans endless Fappening drops over iClouds you cant really opt out of.

I would take an Altair from 1978 or a KayPro over the latest iAnything.

Apple is made for sheep. Has always been made for sheep, and will always be made for sheep.
That's why all the computers in schools in the 80s were Apples. For 5 year olds.
Screw Apple and Google.

Take back your lives, your freedoms, and your dignity people.

Rise above.

Ned Christiansen
09-13-17, 12:37
Wrong, WRONG

Take back your lives, your freedoms, and your dignity people.

Rise above.

That's how I feel about all of them-- Apple, Google, Facebook, et al. Wanna use our stuff? Submit. Want information? Give us yours first. Accept, accept, accept. I agree to the terms. Update now. Backup now. Confirm your Apple ID now. Control my every move.

One of the main reasons I agreed to try my 5c was-- don't laugh-- it has a compass. I shoulda just bought a Daisy with one in the stock, it would work better. I know all about calibrating it and all that. Have spent probably 90 minutes on the phone with Apple on this issue alone. It. Does. Not. Work. We're sorry you're having difficulty with your device but nobuddy no's nothing.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 12:42
I'm with Ned, and Firefly.

I've ridden the Apple/Samsung carousel endlessly, and it's time to get off this ride.

Regarding Apple "Pushing the Envelope" the fact that the average "Mac User" is asking what wireless charging is, in 2017, shows how far behind the curve they are.

Apple has always been the computing version of Fisher-Price.

That's how I feel about all of them-- Apple, Google, Facebook, et al. Wanna use our stuff? Submit. Want information? Give us yours first. Accept, accept, accept. I agree to the terms. Update now. Backup now. Confirm your Apple ID now. Control my every move.

One of the main reasons I agreed to try my 5c was-- don't laugh-- it has a compass. I shoulda just bought a Daisy with one in the stock, it would work better. I know all about calibrating it and all that. Have spent probably 90 minutes on the phone with Apple on this issue alone. It. Does. Not. Work. We're sorry you're having difficulty with your device but nobuddy no's nothing.

jpmuscle
09-13-17, 12:43
Well...... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/44b41edbdc6209dcd3aa5503b4162075.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/d3821ebf43bdb4247a47dbfbe9518e0c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kwelz
09-13-17, 12:45
Like it or not (and I don't) your options are nil. Google is even worse than Apple with Data. Microsoft is worse than either of them. Doesn't matter if we are talking Phones or Computers.

Our data is out there and being used for advertising and marketing. You can try to find an old flip phone but the Phone company still has all your calls and texts. You can use Linux but that is still not a guarantee and your ISP is using your browsing habits unless you are using a VPN.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 12:47
****Zuck2020

Well...... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/44b41edbdc6209dcd3aa5503b4162075.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/d3821ebf43bdb4247a47dbfbe9518e0c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WillBrink
09-13-17, 13:02
Like it or not (and I don't) your options are nil. Google is even worse than Apple with Data. Microsoft is worse than either of them. Doesn't matter if we are talking Phones or Computers.

Our data is out there and being used for advertising and marketing. You can try to find an old flip phone but the Phone company still has all your calls and texts. You can use Linux but that is still not a guarantee and your ISP is using your browsing habits unless you are using a VPN.

This. Unless you can pull a kaczynski, worrying about your data being used passed a long time ago. They have made it so you'd effectively be unable to live in the modern world without being tied into the system. I don't see any reason to make it extra easy for them, but I simply can't spend much time either focused on preventing FB et al from looking at my habits and such to put products etc under my nose. Just about anyone posting here on this forum. using associated tech to do so, is nads deep in the system.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 13:22
That's because dudes will carry "muh gunz" for "muh security" and literally let their own dicks blow in the breeze when it comes to InfoSec.

There's no shortage of ways around the bullshit. Most people are just too lazy to do it.

This. Unless you can pull a kaczynski, worrying about your data being used passed a long time ago. They have made it so you'd effectively be unable to live in the modern world without being tied into the system. I don't see any reason to make it extra easy for them, but I simply can't spend much time either focused on preventing FB et al from looking at my habits and such to put products etc under my nose. Just about anyone posting here on this forum. using associated tech to do so, is nads deep in the system.

Arik
09-13-17, 13:42
That's because dudes will carry "muh gunz" for "muh security" and literally let their own dicks blow in the breeze when it comes to InfoSec.

There's no shortage of ways around the bullshit. Most people are just too lazy to do it.Most people don't want to. They're happy with the blue pill. Got a coworker whos neck deep in Apple. Loves it. Keeps nagging on me to dump the shitty Android and go Apple. I told him when he can show me why it's better I will. So far he hasn't been able to because I don't care about 99% of what either one offers. Don't want a Cloud, don't back anything up, only use 4 apps (taptalk, Waze, home security camera, Bank app). The rest doesn't interest me.

He thinks I'm crazy for never having had a FB account. Doesn't understand how I don't need one.

When I ask him about how he feels about his info being "out there" he calls me paranoid and old (I'm not even 40 yet)

Firefly
09-13-17, 13:49
Will,

Got some news for you, Bud.

You can be super freaking parnoid and anti-Social but if you ever been:

-To the Hospital
-In the Military
-In Law Enfocement at any level
-Had a legit job
-Had a Credit Card
-Had Insurance

Then someone ELSE is being breezy with your info.

Equifax had a huge breach and sat on it for months until the honchos could sell and be out.

Blue Cross is always getting breached

Target and Sears same.

You can do everything up to and including crypto carrier pigeons but some 10 dollar an hour wage slave on a Mac working "IT" with a 10 yo server is letting crackers from all corners of the Earth just come on in and sell your info to some teenybopper. And that's not including people selling your info anyways.

Essentially everybody got the Mark of the Beast figuratively speaking and all you can really do is batten your hatches, keep up to date hard records, save actual cash vs a Bank, opt out of everything, and freeze your shit.

I might sound crazy but Im not trying to get other peoples SS#

Vandal
09-13-17, 14:30
All I wanted from this was a new version of Apple TV with Amazon Video support, and a date for when I can watch Amazon Video on it.

My iPhone 6 is still going strong. I may look at the 7 when these new one's drop and save some money.

WillBrink
09-13-17, 14:31
Will,

Got some news for you, Bud.

Not sure how you're comment relates to me brother as I agreed with everything you said here no? As i said, the ship sailed on people who think they can hide their data at this point.

skywalkrNCSU
09-13-17, 14:36
All I wanted from this was a new version of Apple TV with Amazon Video support, and a date for when I can watch Amazon Video on it.

My iPhone 6 is still going strong. I may look at the 7 when these new one's drop and save some money.

They did say at the previous conference something about Amazon Video support but never gave that date. I assume it will just be an app so I'm not sure why they haven't figured that one out yet but it's frustrating.

Firefly
09-13-17, 14:40
Not sure how you're comment relates to me brother as I agreed with everything you said here no? As i said, the ship sailed on people who think they can hide their data at this point.

My bad, man. I meant Kwelz.

I had momentary Sydlexia.

Sorry for the goof.

Det-Sog
09-13-17, 15:28

This just needs to be repeated. Spot on.

I'll just edit this post instead of creating a new one...

Yes, you can't hide anything now days, but coupled with the seamless connectability with the other devices in my house as well as they just don't sell as much of my crap as Google or microsuck, I'm sticking with Apple for now.

Now, the people that really crack me up are the ones complaining about their privacy being breached, while they can't go 10 minutes without posting every minute of their daily itinerary on FB or insta-idiot.

Det-Sog
09-13-17, 18:30
So Apple, now what?

I just checked out the new releases and feel like I just got pranked. WTF. THAT'S the new release??? I held off getting a 7 so I could wait for a 7.1... I mean 8, or an 8.1 I mean 10. Really??? I have always skipped a generation, but now I may try to hold off for the Iphone __.

I see an opening for a start up company to take business like mine. People like me that will rather have a flip-phone than an Hemdroid or Microsuck based phone.

Outlander Systems
09-13-17, 18:45
I would buy the shit out of the McAfee Phone.

So Apple, now what?

I just checked out the new releases and feel like I just got pranked. WTF. THAT'S the new release??? I held off getting a 7 so I could wait for a 7.1... I mean 8, or an 8.1 I mean 10. Really??? I have always skipped a generation, but now I may try to hold off for the Iphone __.

I see an opening for a start up company to take business like mine. People like me that will rather have a flip-phone than an Hemdroid or Microsuck based phone.

Det-Sog
09-13-17, 18:59
I would buy the shit out of the McAfee Phone.

That would work. Heck yes.

Moose-Knuckle
09-14-17, 04:04
The music is by Moby but the animation is done by one of my favorite artists, Steve Cutts . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8

Here some more of Cutts take on smart phones . . .

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4358/37047989562_1a87c136a1_b.jpg

This actually happened more than once mind you lol:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4356/36405393293_57f6a7167e_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4432/37220153595_552531a5a8_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4418/37220153915_27c8e70641_b.jpg