PDA

View Full Version : Heinie Rear Sight Notch Width

givo08
10-06-08, 20:55
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum after lurking here awhile. I have a question related to heinie straight 8 night sights and what width rear sight notch everyone prefers and why. They offer .156" ('race' cut), .140", and .125" (standard). I have a set of the .156" race cut sights on my G19 and looking to get a set for my HK45c. I think the .156" is a bit too wide in the back for me and lets a significant amount of light through. It does make target acquisition pretty quick though, but I do think I give up a little accuracy at slower fire and am thinking about going for the .140" or .125" for the H&K. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

C4IGrant
10-06-08, 21:08
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum after lurking here awhile. I have a question related to heinie straight 8 night sights and what width rear sight notch everyone prefers and why. They offer .156" ('race' cut), .140", and .125" (standard). I have a set of the .156" race cut sights on my G19 and looking to get a set for my HK45c. I think the .156" is a bit too wide in the back for me and lets a significant amount of light through. It does make target acquisition pretty quick though, but I do think I give up a little accuracy at slower fire and am thinking about going for the .140" or .125" for the H&K. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Since most pistol shooting is generally going to occur inside of 25yds and the "quick" rear sights give you more speed I would go with them.

C4

ToddG
10-06-08, 22:23
As your sight radius gets smaller, the relative size of the notch is going to get smaller, too. In other words, wider notches are more useful on short-barreled guns.

Narrow notches are great for bullseye. Wide notches are great for going fast. Where is your priority?

If you've been happy with the "race cut" so far, it might make the most sense to stick with that. The other alternative, obviously, is to try the .140" and see if you prefer it for what you want to do with your shooting. Of course, that assumes you're willing to replace it if it's not working as well as your first sight.

givo08
10-08-08, 14:05
Thanks for the responses.

I actually had this set that I have on my G19 on a previous G17 that I owned and felt that the .156" was too wide for it. I found it very quick to pick up the front sight but difficult to make accurate shots at 15-25 yards because of how wide the gap was and how much light came around the front sight and through to the rear. On the G19, it's a bit more managable since the front sight "appears" wider, but it still is a little too wide. I'm set on going narrower for the set I order for my HK45c, but just can't decide between .140" and .125". I may do what you suggest Todd and try out the .140" first.