PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot steel cased ammo from Glocks or M&Ps?

RAM Engineer
10-06-08, 21:29
Has anyone shot a lot of steel cased ammo (9mm) like Wolf from Glock 19s or S&W M&Ps? I was wondering if there would be any long term problems like extractor or chamber wear.

A related question is what is a good, reliable 9mm FMJ to stockpile? Wolf? Black Hills? American Eagle? S&B?

Robb Jensen
10-06-08, 21:34
I've fired about 4K rounds through Glocks. Had about 4 failures to fire per 1K rounds, it runs very dirty and requires much more lube than normal.

RogerinTPA
10-06-08, 22:18
I've fired around 4K rounds through my M&P9c. I had a few FTF's, at the 3200 round mark, but that was from inconsistent firing pin hits from a bad striker. S&W got it back in nine days and it's shooting like a champ now. Around 5K through the G23 .40 before trading it in for the M&P40 (1200 RF'd) if that matters. Wolf's good practice ammo for me since I don't reload and fairly accurate.

Bob
10-07-08, 05:54
The vast majority of what I put through my Glocks (27, 22, and a 19) is Wolf. Other than being filthy, and not shooting as consistently as Win Ranger or other nicer (and more expensive) ammo, it's been fine for me.

Littlelebowski
10-07-08, 07:09
Only problem I've ever had with Wolf is a few FTF due to their hard primers.

Gingerkid
10-07-08, 08:44
2k rounds of Wolf Military Classic and black box through my M&P 9mm's... No problems. If you do have problems, they stand behind their ammo.

skyugo
10-08-08, 21:57
so what's the cheapest "good" 9mm? sounds like wolf works ok. any better options for slightly more money? :confused:

ToddG
10-08-08, 22:58
I think CCI Blazer is outstanding. I've put a little over 68,000 rounds of it through my two M&P's over the past year with very few problems. Though ironically, just tonight I had a round that was loaded very short; it looked like a .380 round made with 9x19 brass. It was obviously standing shorter in the box so I didn't even try to load it.

RAM Engineer
10-08-08, 23:58
I think CCI Blazer is outstanding. I've put a little over 68,000 rounds of it through my two M&P's over the past year with very few problems. Though ironically, just tonight I had a round that was loaded very short; it looked like a .380 round made with 9x19 brass. It was obviously standing shorter in the box so I didn't even try to load it.

Is that the aluminum-cased stuff? Or am I mixing it up with Speer Lawman ammo? I can't imagine that Wolf would be any dirtier than the Lawman stuff...

ToddG
10-09-08, 00:00
RAM -- Yes, the Al-case Blazer is what I've always used.

trio
10-09-08, 00:12

interesting that you say that Todd....I stopped shooting CCI Brass Blazer ammo because I would encounter 1-2 rounds like that/box, both in 9mm and .45...

I used to buy the stuff from Wal-Mart, and make special trips to find the Wal-marts that carried the 9mm (since most around me only have .40 and .45 in blazer for whatever reason)...but I stopped doing it because of so many short loaded rounds....

Now I shoot the Remington stuff from Dick's.....since I have no way of getting distributor prices, I pay "mortal" prices...but at $8.98/box if bought in case quantity for 9mm is about as good as i can find...

couple this with the fact that I always have "dick's reward point dollars" to spend, and the fact that they send me good coupons (and my wife got one of those "charity" coupon books with dick's and gander mountain coupons in it) makes it cheapest for me...

I just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm last week, and with the coupons and reward zone things I paid $148/1000 out the door....

i haven't been able to beat that yet for brass cased ammo that works fine in my glocks (all i shoot anymore)

skyugo
10-09-08, 01:02

eh well, one out of 68000 ain't so bad :o

i've used blazer the few times i've shot 9mm's. never had an issue.
now that i live in a free state i plan to do a lot more handgun shooting :D

YVK
10-10-08, 09:33
interesting that you say that Todd....I stopped shooting CCI Brass Blazer ammo because I would encounter 1-2 rounds like that/box, both in 9mm and .45...

Last case of 45 Blazer I went through had some of those. The first box I opened had 4 or 5 with deep-seated bullets. Got me worried 'cause 10% was too much. At the end, turned out 8 or 9 out of 850; I thought I could live with that.

On a side note, this makes a good example of how "valid" our opinions are when based on small samples.

warpigM-4
10-10-08, 11:12
I shot a 1500 of wolf 45 in my glock 30 and never had one hick up.but I sold my glock .:eek: