PDA

View Full Version : Review- Hardcore Henry [movie]

Jellybean
09-13-17, 15:55
Never saw a review for this come across here, but some of you might remember seeing trailers from this when it came out. I thought it was an interesting concept, being it's all from the lead character's perspective in first person, but on release I read a lot of reviews complaining of jumpy camera sequences and poor story quality. So I moved on and pretty much forgot it existed.
I ended up watching it on a whim a few days back, and as usual... the critics were only half right.

Long story short, the character wakes up as a mechanically enhanced/reconstructed guy with his wife as the doctor/scientist that patched him up per some sort of horrific de-constructive previous life experience, the lab is attacked by some sort of terroristy fellows led by a maniac with psychic powers called "Akan", and Henry and his wife escape only for him to promptly have his ass kicked and his wife captured by Akan's merc/terrorist group. Thus begins a more-or-less non stop running battle with Henry traveling across half of Russia often aided by various delightfully loony sidekicks trying to charge his cyborg batteries and figure out who he is and what in the nine hells is even going on...

The good:
If you liked John Wick, you'll probably like this- it's pretty much JW in first person.

Camera work- there was a lot of bitching about the "headache inducing" and "too shaky" first person camera work. Well, I have to call bollocks on that. If you've played any first-person shooter extensively, or watched a lot of helmet cam or go-pro footage... you'll be fine. If the only things you ever watch are stately, well-shot "epic" movies... *maybe* you'll have some problems following.
And frankly, given the amount of go-pro and various other helmet/FP type videos I've seen, I've actually got to hand it to the studio for doing a very good job keeping things clear and decipherable, given the utterly wild pacing of most of the action sequences in this movie.

The other good part is the overall tone, despite the near constant fighting, is fairly light, and even hilariously so in some parts. As I mentioned before, his re-occurring sidekick[s] are just loony as hell, and there's a good amount of nod & wink/ tongue in cheek references to either other movies, video games, or just straight up cliches of action movies in general. There's one particular scene with a horse that pretty much sums up what I'm saying.

The bad:
Story- well, if you read the paragraph up there... congrats, there it is. No there isn't anything else to it. Well, ok... there's a couple slight twists with a couple of the characters, but if you're paying attention, you'll probably guess them halfway through the movie...
I keep comparing this to John Wick, and continuing with that, I feel like Hardcore Henry actually has less story than JW, if you thought that was possible... You're not going to be rewatching it for the deep insights into life the story or characters gave us, or even because you liked the characters themselves (well, maybe a little bit for that).
I feel very much like this was almost a "proof of concept" by the studio for FP camera work, that they said "ah, **** it let's take all these shots, add some extra to flesh it out enough for a movie and run with it". It really wouldn't have killed them to add another 15 minutes to flesh out the story and characters just a little bit more, especially Akan's character, which will have you perpetually wondering exactly WHY he can throw things across the room with his mind when nobody in the rest of the movie can, yet he needs to steal YOUR technology.... among other things.

Overall, for a glorious hour and forty-ish of ridiculous over the top bloody gunfights, knife-fights, hand-fights, and really anything you can use as a weapon in between, that at the same time doesn't take itself to seriously, I'd give it a split rating of B+ for the action, C- for the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EChBYVFhU

Firefly
09-15-17, 20:43
I saw this in theatres. It is like that music video for "Smack my Bitch Up" by The Prodigy only as a movie.

A buncha normies walked out at the strip club part.

I will say that Sharlto Copely was amusing in his personas. Especially ghillie sniper and 80s punker.

It wasn't too bad but I wouldn't watch it again. Its one of those movies you only can really watch one time.
Honestly, it made me a bit dizzy here and there and I felt uncomfortable.

Like GI Jane. I wont lie, it is a lame feminist propagamda piece and probably a slap in the face of Navy SEALs but I liked that movie. Demi Moore was ripped and butch and tight.

And that last shootout in Libya would have been amusing until they do the shaky cam.

See I hate that. It makes me dizzy and makes me not care. I have no interest in "feeling like I am there". I just wanna see people stabbed and shot and when you ramdomly pan in and out and wobble the camera it makes me hard to care, I cant keep track and just, no.

That said....a dyke coif would have been more interesting than a full buzz.

Sigourney wore it better. Demi Moore needs hair. Now it doesnt matter because she is old but in 1990whatever...we deserved a coifed Demi Moore CAR 15ing Libyans.

Also I never got the whole sub plot of them thinking she was a lesbian. Um...she was MARRIED in that movie and girls can hug and kiss each other and not be gay. And even then, it was Dont ASK, Dont Tell. Nobody asked her amd she didnt tell. Because she was straight. Her nurse girlfriend was just a friend. Again girls can hold hands and do that and it not be gay.

The gay threshold for women is pretty high. I dont see how it even got that far.
I get they were railroading her but it was just a pointless side story

Arik
09-15-17, 20:50
I kinda liked it the first time. I knew there wasn't going to be a story to it just some action flick with a different take. However that scene where Henry and the WW2 guy fight off a bunch of private security contractors in the abandoned building is at least 10 years old. I remember that scene being shared on Call of Duty pages back in 2006/7

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HeruMew
09-16-17, 21:08
Wife and I watched it today and loved it!

We're both gamers and part of the new generation of gopros and etc.

Really really enjoyed the storyline, while far fetched, the whole movie was set up that way. If you immerse yourself and don't ask to many questions, you can have a fun ride with this movie. Truly felt like a long cut scene for a game or something.

Nonetheless, Jimmy's acting of so many roles really makes the movie for me.

9/10 from us for concept, CGI, and the constant hour and a half of action.

MegademiC
09-16-17, 22:33
Very fun movie... would watch again if a friend wanted to see it. It's a recommended 1 time watch.

Strip club scene was great, Jimmys character with the 'fro reminds me of a buddy from college.

VARIABLE9
01-04-18, 01:12
The director for this (Illya something) did The Weeknd’s video for ‘False Alarm’ (https://youtu.be/CW5oGRx9CLM). In addition he had prior to HH done a video for his own band (Biting Elbows) called ‘Bad Motherf***er (https://youtu.be/Rgox84KE7iY)’.

*Neither one safe for work...*

Hey it’s a snow day. Figured everyone would want something entertaining to watch.