PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new CCW pistol!

Potss
09-14-17, 18:15
I'm looking to add a new CCW pistol to my rotation (along side a Cajun CZ P-01). My Cajun CZ PCR is getting retired as I'm moving to lights on all CCWs after some recent events (will probably sell it on the exchange, PM me if you want to get in early). The requirements are as follows:

1.) Must be able to have the slide milled for an RMR and irons. Irons must be behind the RMR, helps me pick up the dot.

2.) Must be able to attach a light of some variety (even small ones like the Viridian CTL, Olight PL-1 II Mini, Crimson Trace Rail Master, Surefire XC-1, or Streamlight TLR-3, or feel free to suggest more small quality lights) to the pistol.

3.) Must chambered in 9mm, and be able to handle my CCW load of choice the 127gr Winchester Ranger T +p+. The barrel must be 3in+ as well.

4.) Must be $1500 or less for the pistol alone (sorry Ed Brown fans).

5.) Must be at least a semi-compact, not much larger than a CZ P-01 max. Will be carried AIWB roughly 70% of the time, IWB, OWB, and belly band will also happen with some frequency depending on daily work/dress needs, and that is the ideal size.

6.) I'm a bit of a trigger snob on pistols, so basically whichever I end up getting will be sent off to get trigger work done (probably when the slide is milled). The focus is on getting rounds on target as fast and accurately as possible.

With those requirements, I've compiled a list of pistols that seem to fit the bill (I think, not 100% on all of them) as well as some basic information on them. I've gone out of my way to handle and shoot most of them. I've compiled them into a spreadsheet here: https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid=1lmj6eed44f25d89b44d38f079d92034f393c for convenience. Before commenting you should really check it out, but I'll give a quick list below to make referencing easier:

CZ P1-10 C
CZ P-07
Grand Power P1
Kriss Sphinx SDP Compact Alpha
Walther PPQ M2
Glock 19 Gen 5
Canik TP9SF Elite
S&W M&P 2.0 Compact
S&W M&P9c
SIG P229 Legion
Springfield Armory XD(M) Compact
H&K P30 V0 or V3
H&K P30SK
H&K P2000SK
H&K VP9SK
Ruger American Pistol Compact
Beretta Px4 Storm Compact Carry
Steyr S9-A1
Prime Group/Arsenal/Salient Stryk-B
Rex Zero 1 Compact
SiCo Maxim 9 (not small, but I'd still be interested in trying to carry it)
Rock Island Armory TAC Ultra CS 9mm

We really are living in the golden age of firearms, there are just so many good choices! So, sell me on one. Which should I get and why? All comments are welcome, including updating the spreadsheet, and making other suggestions.

P.S. before you comment, yes the P320 compact and FNS/FNX C both qualify. I just don't really like either enough to buy and carry one.

Update on Page 4

ritepath
09-14-17, 19:00
Since you already have the p-01 (my favorite carry gun at the moment) the obvious answer on your list is the 2.0 compact.

TactiCool1976
09-14-17, 19:56
I would probably say go with the Canik or glock 19, or cz10

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RND
09-14-17, 19:58
Same sidearm, same place, everyday.

BuzzinSATX
09-14-17, 20:10
If you like the SA/DA, why not go with a Cajun P07?

Most are good choices. I will say my daughter has a Xdm 3.8C and it does not get the love it deserves, It has been a great gun and 12+1 rounds Compact and 19+1 rounds when the large mag is in...Personally, i carry a G19 or a Shield. P10 seems like a good gun but new...PPQ is solid if you want a gun that size...trigger too light for me. HK's always a great choice as is Styer...as is FN.

You are right when you say lots of good options!

MegademiC
09-14-17, 20:12
Same sidearm, same place, everyday.

This, get another P01.

2nd choice g19.

The gun will be accurate. It's all about getting a holster and skill.
G19 has the best aftermarket.

Maybe a g43 or shield for days the p01 won't hide.
I secretly want to mill my shield slide for an rds and get a threaded barrel and light.

.XL
09-14-17, 21:09
Sig P229 Legion with http://www.thesigarmorer.com/

Firefly
09-14-17, 21:53
Glock 19 all day every day even in your sleep.

Get a bunch of mags.

Get a crate of ammo.

And shoot that sucker till your hands pucker

Evel Baldgui
09-14-17, 22:15
Decisions,decisions....you have listed almost every quality pistol there is....personal bias in no particular order:Glock 19 w RMR, Walther PPQ, HK VP-9, CZ P07, Sig p320.

Wake27
09-14-17, 23:03
Ready to go out of the box is great, but since you obviously have the desire to modify at least the parts listed, I'd recommend G19.5. I'm in the same boat and was really leaning toward P-10C, but that aftermarket support is crazy for Glock and I am very picky about finding something that works just the way I want it, which means I need lots of aftermarket options. Plus since the Glock isn't a vastly new design, its fairly proven and backwards compatible with a lot of old shit like holsters and sights. Second would be M&P9C 2.0, for the same reasons, I just expect that the Glock will have better aftermarket support, knowledge base, larger number of other users, etc that is all good stuff.

Mr_Happy1
09-14-17, 23:15
I would go with the either the VP9sk, P30, or P2000sk, in that order. They meet all your requiems, and are smaller than the P01, so they can be carried when it is not. I have yet to find a subcompact more reliable, accurate, or shoot able than the HKs.
I know you said you wanted a light, but I think the CZ Rami BD would be perfect. I have one bought direct from Cajun Gunworks with a pro package. I find it pairs nicely with my P01, or PCR. Mag interchangeability is nice.
Whatever you go with, I would definitely go with a smaller gun, just for options.

Biggy
09-14-17, 23:36
*You* will have to decide on what action you prefer first, striker, DA/SA OR SA. These days I prefer to buy pistols that out of the box I don't have to dump a lot of money into them by adding or changing all kinds of things. A pistol shouldn't need all kinds of aftermarket support, because it should be able to stand on its own. I can see changing out the sights for some of your preference, and it having a good selection of different types of holsters to choose from and then some backup spare factory parts' but thats about it. I would say go to a gunshop or indoor shooting range and handle and shoot as many of the pistols on your list as you can.

MegademiC
09-15-17, 05:31
Also, you don't need a new or heavily modified trigger to get fast accurate shots. For a glock, a factory connector(dot or minus) would be all I would change.

Potss
09-15-17, 08:15
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I agree I will need to go shoot all of these more before I decide. I just wanted to consult all your collective wisdom to see if any of them had glaring problems I didn't know about, or one was substantially better for the price, etc.

As for the "just get another P-01" I certainly might. I'm pretty conflicted between the old adage of "two is one and one is one" vs. "variety is the spice of life." Having an identical back makes the most practical sense, but having some variety in what I train with would be more fun and more fun for other folks I bring to the range. I can always get a stock P-01 later as a parts gun too. But I'm not ruling out another P-01 as an option, or something very similar like the P-07 or Sphinx.

As for the size, I already have a SIG P938 (which is amazing and I love) for pocket carry on days where I just cannot conceal something of P-01 or similar size, so no need to worry about going smaller just for that.

As for the trigger, yes I'm aware training can overcome almost any trigger out there, and even out of the box things like Glocks and M&Ps will do just fine at CCW ranges. BUT I don't think anyone would disagree that a nicer trigger makes accuracy easier with a pistol. I still shoot my 1911s best, followed by the Cajun CZs. That is no accident, the triggers are the two best. Or to put it another way, although unlikely having to make a head shot at 25y is a lot easier (especially under stress) with a nice trigger imho. And if that still doesn't do it for you, I'm going to have to send whichever pistol I end up buying in to a good gunsmith to get the slide milled for the RMR anyways (the factory ones aren't low enough). Might as well get the trigger done while its there. Now DA/SA vs. striker, there is no question DA/SA wins for me. But strikers aren't bad, I shoot them well enough, and by the states they seem to have an advantage is size/weight/capacity almost every time.

Keep the good suggestions flowing!

Arik
09-15-17, 09:03
Glock 19 MOS is already cut for a red dot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ralph
09-15-17, 09:09
With the recent flap over the Sig 320, I would cross off any striker fired pistol on your list that has a fully tensioned striker. The next question is what kind of trigger do you really prefer? DA/SA LEM, SA? CZ's with a little work can have excellant triggers, they are known to be accurate, and between CZUSA, CZ custom and Cajun Gun Works they are decently supported. Which brings me to another point, support after the sale..if you shoot alot, it's just a matter of time before a part breaks or is worn out, how easily you can get parts is something that should be considered, in this area alone, Glock wins hands down. I've been in hardware stores that had Glock mags for sale, I've never seen anybody else's mags that readily available. Briefly looking at your list, I think I'd narrow it down to CZ, HK, Glock. As all of these are decently supported, all are accurate, reliable, and all have a degree of aftermarket support (some more than others, but that's for you to decide how important that is)

MegademiC
09-15-17, 11:02
Another thought: you could do an sp01 or a p01 with a milled slide. Then you have an irons gun and an rds gun.

ralph
09-15-17, 11:18
Another thought: you could do an sp01 or a p01 with a milled slide. Then you have an irons gun and an rds gun.

Right. Between Cajun Gun Works, and CZ Custom, CZUSA, you should, within reason, be able to get exactly what you want. It won't be cheap, (custom work never is) but the craftsmanship will be top notch, and that, is what you're paying for..

yoni
09-15-17, 16:56
Cajun P07 and never look back, Dave told me of a P07 they did that has 100,000 documented rounds through it and still getting shot.

KTR03
09-15-17, 18:03
I am waiting for my Cajun P-01. SO that is what I would get. I truly understand the variety is the spice of life. Having said that, variety is a pain in the ass when it comes to logistics. I would get a p-01 because you don't have to deal with magazines, holsters... It makes live easier. I am a huge believer in buying a life time supply of magazines, having lived through the 80 dollar glock mag decade. I am down to CZ, Beretta, and Glock. Although if I had to give them all up but one, I would keep the Glock 19s and the hundred mags.

Spiffums
09-15-17, 18:46
Glock 19 all day every day even in your sleep.

Get a bunch of mags.

Get a crate of ammo.

And shoot that sucker till your hands pucker

Agree but in a Gen 3 unless the finger grooves just kill you.

Firefly
09-15-17, 20:23

They really do.

Kain
09-15-17, 20:27

I find a trigger guard undercut helps a fair bit with comfort and shootability. At least I did. Find a 17/22 to be fine stock, 19/23, not so much. Of course I also fall into the freak of nature that most guns in stock config fit me like a glove, must have been a gunfighter or designer in a past life or something. Which drives more than a few people nuts. But neither here nor there.

MegademiC
09-15-17, 20:30
Haha, I love the finger grooves! I could live without them, but I REALLy like them. Only experience is with the 19/23.

RND
09-16-17, 06:55
HK P2000 LEM "light" with "extended" magazine release

Potss
09-16-17, 17:27
The full sized P2000? Isn't that a little on the large side?

RND
09-16-17, 18:58
That's what she said.

BT2012
09-17-17, 11:26
Of all the guns on your list, I would choose Glock 19 and with whatever generations that fit or choice in preference you like. Here are my reasons:

1. It can still be concealable in the warm weather,
2. 15 + 1 in chamber, rounds,
3. Availability of parts, OEM and after-market (if that suits you),
4. Reliable and durable,
5. Can be detailed (not referring to field strip) stripped with ease and simplicity with 1 punch pin. Trust me when I say simple and easy.

Good luck in whatever you ultimately decide to choose.

6. Competitive price, even better price through Blue Label.
7. I have not yet seen any rust or corrosion on my G19 Gen 2 and 3 which was used for on and off-duty for many years.

BT2012
09-17-17, 11:28
Of all the guns on your list, I would choose Glock 19 and with whatever generations that fit or choice in preference you like. Here are my reasons:

1. It can still be concealable in the warm weather,
2. 15 + 1 in chamber, rounds,
3. Availability of parts, OEM and after-market (if that suits you),
4. Reliable and durable,
5. Can be detailed (not referring to field strip) stripped with ease and simplicity with 1 punch pin. Trust me when I say simple and easy.
6. Competitive price, even better price through Blue Label.
7. I have not yet seen any rust or corrosion on my G19 Gen 2 and 3 which was used for on and off-duty for many years.

09-18-17, 09:51
Since you prefer DA/SA, my choices would narrow to:
PX4
P30

The Sig only edges out the HK for me due to comforting familiarity. The HK is a great gun, but I carried a Sig for a few years, and the armorer had to pry it out of my hands with a hoolie tool when I got a G19.

The PX4 shoots amazingly soft, and I am buying a "fullsize" within the next 90 days. It is my new favorite for g19-ish sized guns. I'm currently switching my collection to safetyless DA/SA guns from strikers and SAO's to streamline the manual of arms with the guns I use or carry most.

I plan on getting a G or F model and putting in a D spring and bobbed hammer with low profile controls, then adding night sights.

w3453l
09-18-17, 19:26

The full sized P2000 is about the size of a G19, so I wouldn't say it's on the large side. The SK version of the P2000 is a subcompact though, and I think that is where the misconception of the P2000 being large comes from. In other words, there is no G17 or "duty sized" P2000.

Potss
09-18-17, 21:32
Interesting, never knew that about the P2000.

Thanks for the feedback, I have a full sized Px4 in .45ACP that I like, but honestly I didn't feel like the recoil was reduced a whole lot compared to my 1911s or H&K45. Maybe it is more noticeable in 9mm and shorter config. I almost jumped on the px4 Compact Carry, but the barrel going so short in such a large gun because of the rotating barrel seems like a hard trade to swallow, especially against the other good options. Same for the Grand Power P11.

I'm going to try to get my hands on as many of these as I can. I can say I was extremely impressed by the Steyr L9A1 I shot the other day, way more so than the CZ P10C. But I'm not sure if the S9A1 would carry over the extremely low recoil.

w3453l
09-19-17, 03:21
Another thing that often gets overlooked is that P30/VP9 15 Rd magazines fit in both the P2000 and P2000SK, just like full-size G17 magazines fit in the G19/G26. You can buy grip extensions to go over the magazines.

ralph
09-19-17, 19:53
Another thing that often gets overlooked is that P30/VP9 15 Rd magazines fit in both the P2000 and P2000SK, just like full-size G17 magazines fit in the G19/G26. You can buy grip extensions to go over the magazines.

Yup I bought one of the grip extensions to try in my USPc I picked up about a month ago, took one of my spare VP9 mags and slid the extension over it, it worked fine.

DD173
09-20-17, 05:41
Cz P10C
Grand Power P1 Ultra
They both come back to target faster than anything else. No mods

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hile
09-20-17, 09:51
Of those listed, I'd go with a Glock 19 MOS or a G19 Gen5 and have the slide milled. If your RMR is one that the MOS supports, I'd probably go that route. A P229 would work too, but having carried that concealed all day, it's quite a heavy piece of gear.

09-21-17, 12:11
Thanks for the feedback, I have a full sized Px4 in .45ACP that I like, but honestly I didn't feel like the recoil was reduced a whole lot compared to my 1911s or H&K45. Maybe it is more noticeable in 9mm and shorter config. I almost jumped on the px4 Compact Carry, but the barrel going so short in such a large gun because of the rotating barrel seems like a hard trade to swallow, especially against the other good options. .

I've heard that the .45 PX4 isn't as good at reducing recoil as the 9 or 40.

I'm with you about short barrels on big guns. Whenever I need a gun smaller than a PX4 or G19, (for concealment reasons) I don't just need a shorter barrel. It also has to be thinner. My 3.5 in barrel gun is a single stack, and I see no point in subcompact double stack guns.

skipbo32
09-26-17, 13:24
get a M&P Shield

Potss
10-13-17, 08:40
Update is as follows.

Over the last month, I have been going to various rental ranges, borrowing from friends and family, and generally trying out as many pistols from my list (and off it) as possible against my Cajunized CZ P-01 as the constant. This process against reminded me of the massive importance of try before you buy especially with carry guns. Some expected favorites didn't do so well, and others really shined as I will detail below. But I want to make a serious point, that for what I've spent on rentals and ammo in the last month, I could easily have purchased some of the firearms on here and I would have been much worse off for doing so. If you have the means, it is well worth renting and/or borrowing as many possible CCW pistols as possible before you choose. I did the same thing 6 years ago when I went from a G19 to a CZ, and this recent process just reminded me against how important it is.

Alright, enough rambling, onto the notes. Disclaimer: all results are just my personal experience with my hands and training (90% of which is on glocks, steyrs, and CZs). Yours may be radically different, and I encourage you to not take my results as gospel, but try for yourself. Pistols I got to test (9mm unless denoted): S&W M&P9c and M&P 9c 2.0, Ruger American full size, H&K P30 V3, H&K VP9sk, H&K USP .40 full size, Springfield Armory XD(m) Compact 9mm, Steyr M9-A1, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 29 Gen 3 10mm, Beretta Px4 Storm Full size .45, Kimber Ultra CDP, Colt LW Commander, Sig P229 Nitron, Walther PPQ.

Pistols ranked in terms of accuracy at 7m-25m (slow and fast): Kimber>Colt>Springfield XDM>>CZ P-01>HK P30>SIG P229>Steyr M9A1>VP9SK>Walther PPQ=Glock 29>HK USP>Glock 19>M&P 2.0>Ruger American>Px4 Storm>M&P9c.

Pistols ranked in terms of trigger: Kimber>CZ (cajun)>Springfield XDM>Colt>Walther>Glock 19 (DK Custom)>Steyr>P229>HK VP9>Px4 Storm>Glock 29>HK P30>HK USP>Ruger American>>>M&Ps (2.0 not much better).

Pistols ranked in terms of ergos under firing, perceived recoil, and speed: Kimber>Colt>Springfield XDM>Steyr>Glock 19>CZ>>M&P2.0>>HK P30>PPQ>VP9sk>Ruger American>Px4 Storm>Glock 29 (no pinky extension in 10mm)>>HK USP.

There are some real standouts here that have helped me narrow my list considerably. First, Kimber has had QC issues for years now that have firmly dropped it out of the "high end" 1911 market. But this one was damn near perfect for hundreds of rounds, and holy shit did it shoot stunningly well in my hands. The officer frame was too small for my hand, so I will get a commander if I get a 1911, but even with that it was printing ragged holes at 15y mag after mag, and just felt so damn buttery smooth in recoil it was almost like I could track the front sight the entire time, making it very fast. Had an amazing trigger too. The Colt LW Commander wasn't far behind but even though it was larger the trigger and barrel (I think) left it lagging behind the kimber most of the time. Both really made the 1911 platform look very attractive even with all the obvious drawbacks like capacity and mags.

The other large standout is the Springfield Armory XDM. When I loaded up 13 rounds and went to shoot, my first five rounds tore one ragged hole in the center of an IPSC target's head at 10m, and that was without the pinky extension! I don't know why this pistol doesn't get talked about more than it does, because the trigger is hands down the best striker fired trigger I've felt. This is even when directly compared with the lauded PPQ, and a G19 with the DK custom carry trigger. It also has a deceptively low bore axis, and wasn't nearly as "flippy" (although none of the 9mms were really flippy, just compared to one another) as say the VP9sk or even P-01. What stunned me even more was the price, these things can be picked up for under $400!

Lastly, I have some general comments about most of the guns I shot:

- My EDC CZ P-01 with Cajun Pro & CZC grips: I thought it was going to clean house, and it didn't. Was always in the top 5, mostly in the top 3, but still lagging more than I would have thought or liked, and that is after thousands of rounds training. I have almost no time on 1911s and still outshot it, same with the XDM very shockingly. Now has me considering changing up my EDC entirely.

- S&W M&P9c: Terrible trigger, ergos are great though. I don't know if an APEX would fix this and how well. Also L&M Precision said they've seen high failure rates with APEX triggers in these.

- S&W M&P9c 2.0: Sand paper grip, I wouldn't ever want to wear this without a T-shirt. Trigger still awful, but not quite as bad as the 1.0s. Again, unsure of how much better the APEX would make it.

- Ruger American full size: A bland pistol which managed to be middle of the back of the pack in almost everything.

- H&K P30 V3: Disapointingly heavy and long DA and stage-y. SA is alright but not great. Not sure if Gray Guns would fix this, but 10-12 weeks and $365 for an already expensive gun doesn't make it very appealing. Also "flippier" than others. And the mag release was difficult.

- H&K VP9sk: Same as the P30 but with more flip. However the VP9sk trigger was better, but not as good as the Steyr or PPQ or XDM. Mag relase somehow even worse.

- H&K USP .40 full size: Somehow felt less controllable than the Glock 29 10mm with no pinky extension. I'm not sure why people spend the money they do on these.

- Springfield Armory XD(m) Compact 9mm: See notes above, a real standout and serious contender.

- Steyr M9-A1: Better than a Glock in every way, but a little top heavy without mag. Great trigger OOTB, again don't know why these aren't more popular. Almost as good as the PPQ trigger. Sadly this and the smaller S9-A1 are disqualified because they cannot mount a red dot on the slide.

- Glock 19 Gen 4: With the DK trigger this was very pleasant to shoot. Fast as well. But not very accurate. Came away with the same impression I did 6 years ago "why would I own one over a CZ P-01?"

- Glock 29 Gen 3 10mm: Amazingly good pistol. Even without a pinky extension it was a ton of fun to shoot, more than accurate enough, and felt like a much larger gun than it is (in a good way). Not the best trigger, but plenty of aftermarket for that. Speed was surprisingly good for 10mm, and has me seriously considering one for EDC or just a woods gun. I have no idea why people carry revolvers when the Glock 29 exists.

- Beretta Px4 Storm Full size .45: A pretty heavy DA trigger, but the SA was great. Not impressed by the felt recoil, which is supposed to be a selling point. The smaller compact carry is also disqualified for being a PITA to mount an RMR to the slide, but I wouldn't have gotten one anyways as these are FAT pistols.

- Kimber Ultra CDP & Colt LW Commander: see notes above, never thought I'd carry a 1911 but I might now.

- Sig P229 Nitron, great shooter, but flippier than the CZ and significantly larger. Came away with the same impression as 6 years ago "why would I own one over a P-01?"

- Walther PPQ: With all the hype I was pretty excited to try it. Trigger let me down a bit (although it is good, the XDM felt better to me) and the "flippiness" let me down more. It is also pretty sizeable, reminded me of the P229 in that respect.

Pistols I didn't get to try but still want to: CZ P10c, Stryk-B, and an M&P with an Apex trigger.

That is it for now, I will make another follow up thread with specifics on my next moves, hopefully after trying the P-10c.

Feel free to ask questions, discuss, and make any comments or recommendations with the above information you want.

sundance435
10-13-17, 10:12
We had different experiences with the VP9SK. I love mine - perceived recoil was less than other similar 9s, fit in hand was great with the finger extension but still comfortable to shoot without it. I will agree that the paddle mag release is a little more awkward on the SK, but I still prefer it over a button. I may have to try one of the XDms. I've owned a couple XD's over the years and I found them to be unwieldy, especially the full size .45. I also didn't care for the bore axis and I perceived more recoil.

If you like the Kimber, get it. Personally, I don't see myself owning another Kimber never trusted any that I owned. However, if the Colt is a close second, maybe give it another chance. I've owned many Colts and I've yet to find a better out-of-the-box, non-high-end 1911. I wouldn't give a second thought to carrying a Colt, but I'd always have doubts about a Kimber.

I'd also give a Gen 5 19 a chance before you buy. I've only handled one in the store, but it's my next purchase. Felt fantastic and I loved the trigger.

WickedWillis
10-13-17, 11:16
Incredibly well done Potss. Way to get out there, spend the money, and put the work in figuring out what works best for YOU. Myself and so many others on here always advocate for renting before you buy to save yourself money in the long run, and disappointment.

On the HK's you tested I agree with most of what you are saying. Although I prefer the USP trigger to the P30 series triggers myself. I had the reset shortened on my P30L and that took a major gripe out of it for me. The DA is still too long for my tastes, but I'm intent on mastering it. I prefer the paddle releases as well, like others have said here.

I'm terrible at wanting other handguns then the ones I have though. It's really bad. but when I load up for the range it's me taking my Glocks 100% of the time because of the time and rounds I have into them. There's something to be said about that comfort factor.

Potss
10-13-17, 13:31
Thanks, I agree with both of you that the H&Ks are more about me than the gun itself. As you say, you cannot know till you try! I was hesitant to spend so much on renting but it really pays dividends, I'd never buy a handgun without it now (which is unfortunate for cool things like the Stryk-b that I probably won't ever find around me).

I also forgot to add that this isn't an apples to apples comparison on the pistols either, cause they were sample sizes of 1 AND in different condition. The kimber for example was a range gun with god knows how many rounds through it. While the Colt and XDM were friend/family guns that were much newer with fewer rounds through them. Same with the P30, so it probably wasn't smoothed in yet. Still wouldn't make it my first choice though.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-13-17, 19:07
G26

I've owned many pistols over the years, and from a functional standpoint if you are going to conceal it. The G26 is probably the best all around.

I really don't understand why you would put a red dot on a ccw, but to each their own i guess.

Mr. Goodtimes
10-13-17, 20:55
Glock 19 or P30. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
10-13-17, 21:13
Glock 19 or P30. End of story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_mYJAKAmc

BuzzinSATX
10-13-17, 21:58
Potss, I’ve really enjoyed this thread. It’s refreshing to hear some positive remarks regarding the XDm C 3.8 9MM. I bought one for my daughter several years ago prior to a week long class we took at Gunsite and that pistol has performed flawlessly with any ammo it’s fed. 12+1 matches the G26 capacity while the extended mag provides 19+1 capacity for home use. If I weren’t so invested in Glock’s I’d probably buy another couple 9’s and a .45

Next 9 I’m buying personally will be a P07 which I plan to send off to CGW. If it turns out well, a P01 or 75C won’t be far behind. Good luck,[emoji106]

cop1211
10-14-17, 01:58
Try a Sig P220 carry single action only.

cutter_spc
10-14-17, 14:11
You have about every decent carry pistol on your list, I hope you find what your looking for. I have been on this journey myself many times with the items I buy.

I'm the odd ball here I suppose, while I do like the 19 size, I just can't hide it without a jacket. I went through quite a few guns trying to find the perfect carry pistol. So far the best for me has been the M&P 9c, I can hide it in just about anything I wear. 13 rounds on tap and 17 for back up if I need it. The trigger may never be as good as a glock, but I can shoot it as good as any small framed pistol I've ever shot and it's been stupid reliable. I'm fixing to take the leap and have it milled for an RMR, that may kill it for me, LOL, but we will see.

Potss
10-14-17, 18:40
For me it is really easy to conceal up to about commander 1911 size. AIWB 12-2 and it just melts away, even in a T-shirt and shorts. Comfortable to sit too. I chalk that up mostly to the excellent JM Custom Kydex holster and Beltman Belt.

Glad folks like reading through this, it has been a lot of fun to shoot so many different guns back to back. I have to keep remembering to take notes before I go through all the ammo I bring with me haha.

I really do like the XDM option, it is much cheaper to get than a 1911, much cheaper to mill the slide for an RMR than the 1911, much cheaper to get trigger work done than the 1911, and has more capacity in a smaller size of course. Not to mention if I get the .40 XDM, I can convert it to 9mm and .357 SIG, so three calibers in one.
....but the XDM isn't quite as accurate or fast for me as the 1911s have been. It is a really tough decision.

cutter_spc
10-14-17, 21:13
I chalk that up mostly to the excellent JM Custom Kydex holster and Beltman Belt.

Hey, thanks for that! Oh, did I mention I have been looking for a new RMR cut holster........

HD1911
10-15-17, 09:09
Potss,

Look no further than the Glock 19 Gen 5. Seriously. Spend 1/3 of your budget and live happily ever after.