PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries ML G3 Lightweight Handguards Good to Go?

js8588
09-17-17, 09:09
I'm looking at this handguard for an 18 inch Irons-only build and read a few positive and a few less than positive reviews on retailer sites.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-g3ml18.htm

I have already purchased a Daniel Defense S2W 18 inch barrel, a Lantac side charging upper, and a JP Enterprises flash hider.

Originally planned to use this handguard
https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_722_58--15%22%20Talon%20Hand%20Guard%20Rail

but based on an issue with the Lantac upper fitting with a STNGR Hwk handguard on another build, I'm thinking the anti-rotation tabs will prevent compatibility without modifying the rail (with a dremel) and that's a road down which I would prefer to not go. Don't mind doing it on a sub $100 handguard like the STNGR, but on a >$200 piece of hardware, that's another story.

Was hoping "the hive" here could give me some input.

Averageman
09-17-17, 09:42
Not this particular handguard, but the MI stuff I have owned has been well built but heavy.
They have a good policy of dealing with returns and replacement in my experience.

Leonidas24
09-17-17, 11:37
I wouldn't use that handguard for an irons only gun; that length of rail would surely have excessive flex. The 15" handguard with a continuous top rail might be a more secure choice for mounting irons.

Renegade04
09-17-17, 11:39
I highly recommend the MI stuff. I have used a variety of their handguards over the past 9 years. Always pleased. The new G3 handguards are very nice. The proprietary barrel nut is nice in that you do not have to time it with the gas tube. The handguard just slides over and tightens down very well with the supplied hardware.

js8588
09-17-17, 11:42
I wouldn't use that handguard for an irons only gun; that length of rail would surely have excessive flex. The 15" handguard with a continuous top rail might be a more secure choice for mounting irons.

A (valid) point I had not considered. I was looking at the 18 because of increased sight radius, but this is a good point.

SWIGIN
09-17-17, 11:45
I have the MI G3 light weight 10'' on my AR pistol and really like the mounting solution they came up with. It can not rotate or slide off unless the bolts come completely out.

I did not use Loctite on the outer surface of the barrel nut like the instructions say to do and it is rock solid. On assembly I just pushed the clamping bolts into the clamping holes and tried to get the hand guard to move, It had a little wiggle to it not being pinched tight but it would not come off.

My only problem with the G3 is not MI's fault. Being a slim handguard on a pistol build, the gas block is directly under my left hand and it would burn me. The low pro gas block I used almost touches the bottom of the hand guard and the meat of my hand when I grip it goes into the M-slot holes and will touch it.

Some Magpul textured panels fixed that, now it just gets very warm like it should with a slim guard.

Unless you always shoot with a glove or don't plan on shooting it a lot in one sitting I would stay away from any slim handguard. But as far as fitment and staying tight I really like this one.

Mrgunsngear
09-17-17, 13:02
I have the MI G3 light weight 10'' on my AR pistol and really like the mounting solution they came up with. It can not rotate or slide off unless the bolts come completely out.

I did not use Loctite on the outer surface of the barrel nut like the instructions say to do and it is rock solid. On assembly I just pushed the clamping bolts into the clamping holes and tried to get the hand guard to move, It had a little wiggle to it not being pinched tight but it would not come off.

My only problem with the G3 is not MI's fault. Being a slim handguard on a pistol build, the gas block is directly under my left hand and it would burn me. The low pro gas block I used almost touches the bottom of the hand guard and the meat of my hand when I grip it goes into the M-slot holes and will touch it.

Some Magpul textured panels fixed that, now it just gets very warm like it should with a slim guard.

Unless you always shoot with a glove or don't plan on shooting it a lot in one sitting I would stay away from any slim handguard. But as far as fitment and staying tight I really like this one.

Agreed. It's a good rail if one of your priorities is lightweight. I've had mine for a good while now and never had it move a bit. It's not going to be quite as bombproof as something like a Geissele Mk4/8 but for 98% of shooters it'll work well.

Mrgunsngear
09-17-17, 13:02

Agreed. It's a good rail if one of your priorities is lightweight. I've had mine for a good while now and never had it move a bit. It's not going to be quite as bombproof as something like a Geissele Mk4/8 but for 98% of shooters it'll work well.

Mike Miller
09-17-17, 13:04
If you're going irons only, why not use an FSB?

You could get one pinned wherever you want

MOLON AABE
09-17-17, 22:44
^^^^^
This x1,000. Fixed irons pinned to the barrel is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
09-18-17, 10:09
That's a good handguard but it wouldn't be my first recommendation. If you want maximum rigidity I would go with a Geissele MK8. If you want excellent rigidity with little weight and half the cost, I'd go with the ALG Defense EMR rail v2:

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v2-m-lok.html

I have a v2 and several v1's in use and I think they are a steal for the quality you get. Installation is a little bit fiddly but at least you have the shim set to avoid excessively high/low torque values. Once installed they are solid and have no real drawbacks.

Is your 18" S2W barrel the current, relatively heavy version? I actually have an upper built with that barrel and a 13" v1 ALG EMR rail, with a pinned Geissele SGB inside the handguard. No complaints.

To others who said you could pin a FSB: there are two versions of the S2W barrel, the original and rare one that has a continuous taper, and the current one that has a complex profile with a mix of tapered and short non-tapered areas. Neither one is realistic for pinning a FSB anywhere except the 9" gas port position.

ranier
09-18-17, 12:03
I have a 15 inch Gen3 LW handguard on one of my rifles. No dremel modifying for it to fit. Just replace the stock barrel nut for the MI barell nut.

As the previous poster mentioned, the gas block is really close to the handgaurd which heats that spot really quick but a generous application of MLok panels around the area fixes that.