PDA

View Full Version : Winter Jacket recommendations

Jewell
09-17-17, 10:22
Before we know it, it's going to be that time of the year where it starts getting cold.

This morning after looking over my winter jacket (a Carhartt), I've decided that I'm due for a new one.

While my Carhartt always did a good job, I'm looking for some recommendations for something new.

I live in Northern Iowa and spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter, so I need something that's not only durable, but will keep me warm as well. I'm hoping to stay under the $300 range. Thanks for the help.

contax_shooter
09-17-17, 10:53
Check out Patagonia's work wear or Filson jackets.

AKDoug
09-17-17, 11:08
Carhartt makes a wide variety of jackets and I have several. My daily jacket is a hard shell from them. I have one of their gortex jackets and one of their cordura insulated work jackets. Even though I live in Alaska, I absolutely despise insulated jackets. I layer up based on the temps and usually top it off with the hard shell.

I have found that most of the mountaineering type jackets like Patagonia, Mtn. Hardware, North Face, etc.. don't hold up to my lifestyle so I avoid paying the high price for them. I'm also heavily into off road motorized sports and hunting, so politics of these companies play into my choices as well.

For serious cold, I have a surplus military ECWCS level III parka. It's ugly as hell, but it keeps me warm.

El Pistolero
09-17-17, 12:04
I have several Carhartt jackets ranging from hoodies to heavy-duty work jackets for welding. All have been great but if you want another brand take a look at Duluth Trading Co.

Grand58742
09-17-17, 12:09
Don't know how tough you need your jacket to be, but I love my 5.11 Aggressor Parka. Warmest jacket I've ever owned outside of my surplus N-3B parka.

gunnerblue
09-17-17, 12:10
For under $300, I'd stick with Carhartt. If you decide to spend more, I'm on my second Filson cruiser. Very warm and durable coat while, being made of quality wool, not overly bulking.

For active hunting in frigid temps, I typically wear a First Lite puffy underneath a water resistant shell. For more static hunting in even colder weather I like Sitka Coldfront gear.

vicious_cb
09-17-17, 12:20
Before we know it, it's going to be that time of the year where it starts getting cold.

This morning after looking over my winter jacket (a Carhartt), I've decided that I'm due for a new one.

While my Carhartt always did a good job, I'm looking for some recommendations for something new.

I live in Northern Iowa and spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter, so I need something that's not only durable, but will keep me warm as well. I'm hoping to stay under the $300 range. Thanks for the help.

Spend an extra $200 and get an arc'teryx leaf jacket. They are well worth it.

HeruMew
09-17-17, 12:25
I have several Carhartt jackets ranging from hoodies to heavy-duty work jackets for welding. All have been great but if you want another brand take a look at Duluth Trading Co.

As a local Duluthian, I approve this message.

CLHC
09-17-17, 13:56
What others stated regarding Carhartt/Filson/Duluth. I've mostly Carhartts for my neck of the woods winter here in the PNW. There's another that's Carhartt-[like] from Berne. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!:cool:

JoshNC
09-17-17, 14:52
Spend an extra $200 and get an arc'teryx leaf jacket. They are well worth it.

This. Arc'teryx is fantastic.

Alex V
09-17-17, 15:00
I would also say take a loot at TAD. I have one of their fleeces and one jacket and love both. A little less expensive than Arc'teryx but I feel they are just as good

Firefly
09-17-17, 16:20
I wear the same old green army style jacket I had since like college.

I got it for $20 at Target.

Little colder my black UA hoodie

If it gets super cold I have a black MA-1 flight jacket I got 10 years back.

Caveat: I live in the South

Hmac
09-17-17, 18:58
As a local Duluthian, I approve this message.
I'm about 90 miles from Duluth, but I have a lot of Duluth Trading Company work ware. Really good stuff. IMHO, will out-wear Carhartt. This is Minnesota. I'm invested in good cold-weather gear and need it for a variety of activities.

hotrodder636
09-17-17, 19:07
Depends on what you plan on doing in it. Outdoor/yard work, I would stick with Carhartt.

I have mostly Arc'teryx gear for my outdoor gear (some LEAF) and it is well worth the money.

Jewell
09-17-17, 19:33
I did some looking in to the Arc'teryx. I love the look and the features, but unfortunately their largest offering is still a little too small for me.

Swstock
09-17-17, 19:50
I love my carhartt.

docsherm
09-17-17, 21:36
I have a Woolrich jacket I got 25 years ago and it is still in great condition. It is great.

I also got a soft shell from Beyond Clothing that is the best quality soft shell I have ever seen.

https://beyondclothing.com

AKDoug
09-18-17, 01:30
I did some looking in to the Arc'teryx. I love the look and the features, but unfortunately their largest offering is still a little too small for me.

Yep. You'll find that most of the high dollar outfits don't make big stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiDevil
09-18-17, 03:52
In the $300 price range, I would take look at Columbia Outerwear. I've owned several Bugaboo coats and they lasted for several years being well used in the outdoors. L.L. Bean is another great brand in that price range too.

BIGUGLY
09-18-17, 13:32
Also northern IA, I have had good luck with Columbia. I can also vouch for sticking with Carhartt or Duluth Trading. I find the shorman Fleece from Duluth can normally keep me warm for most of the winter and is windproof, all the above brands carry talls as well which is normally my issue with Mountain Hardware and Arcteryx and why I like there stuff but can't buy it.

AKDoug
09-18-17, 16:12
In the $300 price range, I would take look at Columbia Outerwear. I've owned several Bugaboo coats and they lasted for several years being well used in the outdoors. L.L. Bean is another great brand in that price range too.

My son is a BIG dude. The Bugaboo is the ONLY jacket he can find that will fit him. The 3XL is a bit larger than a Carhartt 3XL... He's hard as Hell on clothes and those jackets hold up VERY well for their price. We always seem to be able to find them on clearance online as well.

26 Inf
09-18-17, 18:35
Jeez, Columbia has been making the Bugaboo at least 25 years - bought my wife one when she was my girlfriend.

I think jacket choice depends on your actual usage. Are you hunting - in the woods, mountains or plains? Winter camping? Or just generally doing outside chores and running to the store?

That will give you an idea of the appropriate material and cut for the coat.

For just running around in cold weather, I have a Berne chore coat that I really like.

Between Tractor Supply and Orscheln I can usually catch Berne, Schmitt, Key or Carhart on sale.

I also have several what Carhartt calls 'active jackets' of differing brands and liners. They are pretty versatile but I find that the short waist jackets such as those work best if worn over bibs for any type of activity where you'll be bending out in the cold.

AKDoug
09-18-17, 18:46
Jeez, Columbia has been making the Bugaboo at least 25 years - bought my wife one when she was my girlfriend.

Why mess with a good thing..LOL.. I know I had one 25 yrs ago as well. Not really waterproof, but does the job well. As a bonus you get a fleece jacket as well.

Jewell
09-18-17, 19:32
I ended up going with a Columbia Lhotse II. They made it in a big and tall size, so hopefully it works out. Thanks for all the help.

SilverBullet432
09-18-17, 19:41
Milwaukee heated jacket :cool:

SteyrAUG
09-18-17, 23:56
M-65

https://americasuits.com/image/cache/catalog/john-rambo-first-blood-m65-cotton-jacket/john-rambo-first-blood-m65-cotton-jacket-500x500-800x800.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
09-19-17, 05:24
I'm about 90 miles from Duluth, but I have a lot of Duluth Trading Company work ware. Really good stuff. IMHO, will out-wear Carhartt. This is Minnesota. I'm invested in good cold-weather gear and need it for a variety of activities.

I'm a little over 1,000 miles from Duluth and I have probably somewhere in the ballpark of $1k of their clothing. Wished they would build some stores in the south, to visit their anchor store and eat me a fish sandwich is on my meager bucket list. On second thought, I hope they never build any stores in Texas so I don't have to pay sales tax. :cool:

As for the OP, I have in my closet at present a Carhartt barn coat that has been absolutely fantastic, picked it up on clearance from an Academy Sports for $30! My everyday wear when it's cold is a North Face Apex Bionic softshell, total suburban camouflage blinds right in. I have three parkas, Lowe Alpine, North Face Summit series, and a Mountain Hardware that I forget the exact model. I'm up to three Patagonia jackets; one wind breaker, one fleece, and one soft shell. I scored a genuine Canadian made Arc'teryx softshell (not the commercial Asian import variety) for a song from a clearance sale.

For you guys who can't find a "big fit" Arc'teryx style quality jacket, check out OTTE Gear. I have one of their softshells (Alpine line) in large and it fits like a 2X. Be sure to read some reviews as my jacket is about five years old now and I'm unsure if they still run big.
http://www.ottegear.com/main.php

Grand58742
09-19-17, 07:04
M-65

https://americasuits.com/image/cache/catalog/john-rambo-first-blood-m65-cotton-jacket/john-rambo-first-blood-m65-cotton-jacket-500x500-800x800.jpg

Drop a liner into that thing and it flat out works.

SteyrAUG
09-19-17, 12:52
Drop a liner into that thing and it flat out works.

Yep. All season jacket. Gonna be rocking the Bill Maxwell look.

BuzzinSATX
09-19-17, 14:57
Grew up in NH, spent most of my adult life in AK or MT. Carhart, Woolrich, Colombia jackets have never let me down. Live in South TX today, but if I needed a good jacket today, I'd go with something mentioned above or Duluth Trading based on their gear I currently wear.

But FTR, I do love my old OD Green and woodland BDU field jackets....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk