PDA

View Full Version : St Martin experiencing chaos

mnoe82
09-17-17, 10:40
I can't imagine the aftermath of a natural disaster getting worse than this. It's like New Orleans after Katrina but there's no escape and no FEMA.

http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/content/st-martinst-maarten-reportedly-verge-civil-war-after-irma-3

ABNAK
09-17-17, 10:46
IIRC both the Dutch and French governments (the island is split between the two nations) have sent troops there.

AKDoug
09-17-17, 11:12
That lady's pleas in that article are precisely why I will never live somewhere I am not allowed to own a firearm. I'm at the point now that I don't even like vacationing in places I can't carry a gun.

sjc3081
09-17-17, 11:39
That lady's pleas in that article are precisely why I will never live somewhere I am not allowed to own a firearm. I'm at the point now that I don't even like vacationing in places I can't carry a gun.

I do the same thing. If I can't carry I don't visit.

ABNAK
09-17-17, 13:46
I do the same thing. If I can't carry I don't visit.

Well, not going there during hurricane season helps too. My wife and I have vacationed somewhere tropical (and always Third World-ish poor outside the resorts) every year since 1993. Haven't missed yet. Of course we go in January or February and don't venture into what common sense says is a bad AO.

JoshNC
09-17-17, 14:50
We have vacationed in Anguilla on many occasions. We fly into St Marten and take a boat over to Anguilla. Having been in St Marten, this is exactly how I felt such a disaster would play out. It is essentially impossible for law-abiding citizens to be armed.

I think I will go to Barbados from now on. Direct flights. And well armed family friends who are Barbados natives.

yoni
09-17-17, 16:44
I have a few friends that live in St. Martin and I saw where they lived on the BBC, totally wrecked.

My heart goes out to the people, but I would never live where I can't own guns. At least in the DR I got shotguns and a cross bow.

WillBrink
09-17-17, 17:18
We have vacationed in Anguilla on many occasions. We fly into St Marten and take a boat over to Anguilla. Having been in St Marten, this is exactly how I felt such a disaster would play out. It is essentially impossible for law-abiding citizens to be armed.

I think I will go to Barbados from now on. Direct flights. And well armed family friends who are Barbados natives.

Legally? Didn't think any of those islands allowed citizens to be well armed.

JoshNC
09-17-17, 19:12
Legally? Didn't think any of those islands allowed citizens to be well armed.

Yes, legally. Barbados has decent gun laws. Permits are required, but with a permit comes the lawful ability to carry concealed and use deadly force for protection. Dealers can own anything and everything their heart desires.

JoshNC
09-17-17, 19:12
Bizarre double post when I only clicked once.

Moose-Knuckle
09-19-17, 05:58
This part of the poor French woman's plea caught my attention, amazing what the French government is doing for "economic migrants" from the undeveloped world yet abandon their own people in Caribbean territories.

"We pay our taxes and follow all the rules… Come get us! We cannot stay here! You have to evacuate the people that are here.

We are part of France so get off your butts, stop talking rubbish on television – there are not 10 deaths, there are thousands of deaths!... So get off your butts and come help us!"

I read too about the troops being sent to St. Martin prior to the storm. Wonder if Maria will add to the misery to all those islands that have already been destroyed by Irma.

I have a few friends that live in St. Martin and I saw where they lived on the BBC, totally wrecked.

My heart goes out to the people, but I would never live where I can't own guns. At least in the DR I got shotguns and a cross bow.

How did your people and property in the DR fare Irma?

yoni
09-19-17, 06:29
This part of the poor French woman's plea caught my attention, amazing what the French government is doing for "economic migrants" from the undeveloped world yet abandon their own people in Caribbean territories.

I read too about the troops being sent to St. Martin prior to the storm. Wonder if Maria will add to the misery to all those islands that have already been destroyed by Irma.

How did your people and property in the DR fare Irma?

Irma only did me a favor and brought down a tree that needed to come out out. My people came through just fine my book keeper sent me a video during the storm and it was funny cause it was no big deal.

Now Maria, is getting ready to hit me hard on her projected course.

Alex V
09-19-17, 07:03
Well, not going there during hurricane season helps too. My wife and I have vacationed somewhere tropical (and always Third World-ish poor outside the resorts) every year since 1993. Haven't missed yet. Of course we go in January or February and don't venture into what common sense says is a bad AO.

Same here. We have gone to the Dominican Republic for years but only in January-March. My coworker booked a trip to Atlantis for next week. WTF? Oh, it's cheaper and the water is warmer than January? Okay. Enjoy Hurricane Maria then.

I was told by locals that handgun possession is allowed as well. You always see signed saying no handguns when getting on to major roads lol. I thought it was funny so I asked about it. I was told handguns cool, semi auto rifles not cool.

yoni
09-19-17, 07:14
I was told one side of the island allowed handguns and the other didn't, but I don't remember which side allowed it.

Alex V
09-19-17, 07:50
I can't imagine being in the situation the woman in the article is in. After Sandy we were without power for only 4 days and that is the longest I have been in the dark. We live very close to several large shopping areas were people may want to liberate LCD TVs and Air Jordans. NOthing happened but I was aware and the guns were loaded and ready to go. These poop people are left to their own devices without any form of protection. Yikes.

I was told one side of the island allowed handguns and the other didn't, but I don't remember which side allowed it.

This was in Punta Cana. Like I said, I don't know for sure. We were going on an excursion and got to talking to the driver who was born in DR but lived in Queens NY for many years and went back. We love the DR so I was honestly drying to see how feasible living there would be. Apparently Architects are very desirable in DR, but the no semi-auto rifles makes it a no go.

09-19-17, 08:47
I lived on Sint Maarten for several yrs. Friends have told us it is bad; real bad.

Dutch side-no guns for citizens.
French side- Shotguns and some restricted rifles--.22 IIRC. Handguns could be had, but required an extensive permitting process. Had a French LGS owner tell me he'd sell me a shotgun under the table since wasn't a citizen. Told me I might need it. Hated not being able to have a firearm.

Went through Lenny while living there. Can't imagine how much worse it is now.
What the tourist bureau never wants to get out is that Sint Maarten is an extremely violent island. Only living there do you get the full extent of the daily violence.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 10:42
I lived on Sint Maarten for several yrs. Friends have told us it is bad; real bad.

Dutch side-no guns for citizens.
French side- Shotguns and some restricted rifles--.22 IIRC. Handguns could be had, but required an extensive permitting process. Had a French LGS owner tell me he'd sell me a shotgun under the table since wasn't a citizen. Told me I might need it. Hated not being able to have a firearm.

Went through Lenny while living there. Can't imagine how much worse it is now.
What the tourist bureau never wants to get out is that Sint Maarten is an extremely violent island. Only living there do you get the full extent of the daily violence.

I lived in St Thomas for over a year, having moved from Brooklyn NY, and I can tell you St Thomas far more dangerous. It was a long time ago and not sure what has changed, but Sint Maarten was a quiet sleepy safe place compared to St Thomas and Sr Croix.

scottryan
09-19-17, 10:49

Yeap

My vacations have been limited to western US hunting/fishing trips and I am perfectly fine with it.

I refuse to go to New York, Chicago, California, or any other leftist shithole.

I would never go on a cruise with 5000 other retards on some ship.

It even gets dicey on some of my outdoor trips because you never know what type of freak trespasser you will run into.

Eurodriver
09-19-17, 11:00
Yeap

My vacations have been limited to western US hunting/fishing trips and I am perfectly fine with it.

You are really missing out. Yosemite? Northern California? Vineyards? Death Valley? The Met? The Bean? Hundreds of chicks partying their ass off until the wee hours of the night with a room right below decks? Cruises are a really efficient and cheap way of seeing and doing a lot of things in the Caribbean, but I can see the port from my office. Even still, if you wait for a deal and go on Norwegian/RC and not Carnival you'll be away from a lot of the 25 year old bartender crowd (if thats not really your scene) you'll get to go places for way less prices than you could go otherwise. Tortola is a shithole, but the baths were amazing. I would never fly to BVI and take a boat to the baths. It isn't worth it. But as an excursion on a cruise ship? Sign me up, and then lets wreck dive on the way back to the boat.

Don't sell yourself short man. You only get one life and avoiding beautiful and/or historic places just because >51% of the population's politics don't align with yours is like giving up on breathing because someone else farted.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 11:06
You are really missing out. Yosemite? Northern California? Vineyards? Death Valley? The Met? The Bean? Hundreds of chicks partying their ass off until the wee hours of the night with a room right below decks? Cruises are a really efficient and cheap way of seeing and doing a lot of things in the Caribbean, but I can see the port from my office. Even still, if you wait for a deal and go on Norwegian/RC and not Carnival you'll be away from a lot of the 25 year old bartender crowd (if thats not really your scene) you'll get to go places for way less prices than you could go otherwise. Tortola is a shithole, but the baths were amazing. I would never fly to BVI and take a boat to the baths. It isn't worth it. But as an excursion on a cruise ship? Sign me up, and then lets wreck dive on the way back to the boat.

Don't sell yourself short man. You only get one life and avoiding beautiful and/or historic places just because >51% of the population's politics don't align with yours is like giving up on breathing because someone else farted.

Have to agree. I thought I was one of those people, for "obvious" reasons who would hate being on a cruise, and went in protest with GF. I had a great time and did three more, and bang (no pun intended...) for the $, hard to beat. I also love being on the ocean coming from a long line of sailors, and that added some win too. People who gain all sort of weight on cruises are full of chit with excuses too, I had no problem eating well and good food, hit the gym, took long walk on the deck, swam, walked a ton off the ship, etc and partied a plenty. Didn't gain 1lb, may even have lost a few.

SomeOtherGuy
09-19-17, 11:08

Well that's interesting. I was there once c. 2006 and didn't see too much. Felt like a laid-back Caribbean island for the most part (I've been to several). Restaurant service was slow and poor, but... Caribbean. ("Soon come" or whatever that would be in French and Dutch.) Shame because it's a cool island and otherwise was on my go-back-to list.

09-19-17, 11:13
Well that's interesting. I was there once c. 2006 and didn't see too much. Felt like a laid-back Caribbean island for the most part (I've been to several). Restaurant service was slow and poor, but... Caribbean. ("Soon come" or whatever that would be in French and Dutch.) Shame because it's a cool island and otherwise was on my go-back-to list.

Being a tourist and living there gives you two very different perspectives. What the tourists "hear" and what the islanders "know" is not the same.

We could have stayed on Sint Maarten permenently but were ready to leave.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 11:23

Just like people who visit NYC and find it a fun dynamic cool place cuz they see the best of it. Until you live there a time, impossible to have a legit feel for it.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 11:38
Have to agree. I thought I was one of those people, for "obvious" reasons who would hate being on a cruise, and went in protest with GF. I had a great time and did three more, and bang (no pun intended...) for the $, hard to beat. I also love being on the ocean coming from a long line of sailors, and that added some win too. People who gain all sort of weight on cruises are full of chit with excuses too, I had no problem eating well and good food, hit the gym, took long walk on the deck, swam, walked a ton off the ship, etc and partied a plenty. Didn't gain 1lb, may even have lost a few.

I have never done a cruise but have always told myself that I will one day just to check it off the list. But I have to be honest, the idea of being stuck on a boat with 3-5k retarded tourist doesn't seem appealing. When I travel I tend to look for off the path or at least smaller places to go. I have no real interest in the party scene anymore and don't love large crowds. I would also rather see fewer places but at least in my opinion be able to experience the ones I do see and that requires more than a day long cruise excursion. I was just speaking with someone the other day and the conversation moved into travel. I mentioned Belize and how much I have enjoyed traveling there, they said they had been too. Then I found out they were only there for partial day excursion on a cruise. While no doubt fun, they didn't really see much of Belize. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I want.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 11:46
I have never done a cruise but have always told myself that I will one day just to check it off the list. But I have to be honest, the idea of being stuck on a boat with 3-5k retarded tourist doesn't seem appealing. When I travel I tend to look for off the path or at least smaller places to go. I have no real interest in the party scene anymore and don't love large crowds. I would also rather see fewer places but at least in my opinion be able to experience the ones I do see and that requires more than a day long cruise excursion. I was just speaking with someone the other day and the conversation moved into travel. I mentioned Belize and how much I have enjoyed traveling there, they said they had been too. Then I found out they were only there for partial day excursion on a cruise. While no doubt fun, they didn't really see much of Belize. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I want.

It's like going to a buffet vs sit down dinner. You get a taste of various things in a very condensed time. I also went to Belize, and we went way up the river and spent the day seeing mayan ruins, and back to the ship. From what I saw of Belize "city" and what I know from others who live there, etc, I saw just about all I wanted to of that place. We also went to Mexico, and that too was a nice day, but could have stayed longer to see more, etc. If I wanted to spend an extended time really seeing a place (such as my regular trips to Panama) I'd fly in and stay longer. Just another tool in the tool box of vacation styles but I enjoyed the cruises more than I expected, and like anything (choosing hotels etc) ship and company you pick does matter and may emphasized what you like and minimize what you don't. Do some research on that one.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 11:54
It's like going to a buffet vs sit down dinner. You get a taste of various things in a very condensed time. I also went to Belize, and we went way up the river and spent the day seeing mayan ruins, and back to the ship. From what I saw of Belize "city" and what I know from others who live there, etc, I saw just about all I wanted to of that place. We also went to Mexico, and that too was a nice day, but could have stayed longer to see more, etc. If I wanted to spend an extended time really seeing a place (such as my regular trips to Panama) I'd fly in and stay longer. Just another tool in the tool box of vacation styles but I enjoyed the cruises more than I expected, and like anything (choosing hotels etc) ship and company you pick does matter and may emphasized what you like and minimize what you don't. Do some research on that one.

Spot on with Belize city, it's a dump. Fly in and leave asap whether that is driving or catching a puddle jumper. The puddle jumpers down to the Placencia area an experience in an of itself.

ABNAK
09-19-17, 12:01
Yeap

It even gets dicey on some of my outdoor trips because you never know what type of freak trespasser you will run into.

"You gots purty teeth boy!"

scottryan
09-19-17, 12:02

I can go to my own ranch in Wyoming, have an AR-15 with me the entire time, and do whatever I want. Yosemite? National Parks are for retarded city dwellers who know nothing about the outdoors.

What exactly do I need to "see" in the Caribbean? African 3rd world squalor? I went to the Bahamas one time and that was enough.

I'd rather take the week off and sleep all week at home, than go on a cruise.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 12:03
Spot on with Belize city, it's a dump. Fly in and leave asap whether that is driving or catching a puddle jumper. The puddle jumpers down to the Placencia area an experience in an of itself.

And there you have it, other than the Myan stuff, my interest in that place is at zero, so perfect for the cruise ship thing. Colombia, Panama, Ecuador, etc are places worth spending days, etc in. Other places, one long day more than sufficient.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 12:03
I can go to my own ranch in Wyoming, have an AR-15 with me the entire time, and do whatever I want.

Was my invite lost in the mail ya bastad?

ABNAK
09-19-17, 12:11

That can be a mixed bag. You have to weigh the benefits vs potential threats of being off the beaten path. I know what you're saying, just that it should be tempered with a little caution.

At a minimum I try to have a knife with me when venturing off the resorts. Even if I have to buy one locally and leave it, no big deal. Obviously a gun would be preferable but they generally aren't allowed in the places we go, and if they are you have to be "connected" in some way (and as a tourist I'm NOT on the inside loop!).

Arik
09-19-17, 12:12
I have never done a cruise but have always told myself that I will one day just to check it off the list. But I have to be honest, the idea of being stuck on a boat with 3-5k retarded tourist doesn't seem appealing. When I travel I tend to look for off the path or at least smaller places to go. I have no real interest in the party scene anymore and don't love large crowds. I would also rather see fewer places but at least in my opinion be able to experience the ones I do see and that requires more than a day long cruise excursion. I was just speaking with someone the other day and the conversation moved into travel. I mentioned Belize and how much I have enjoyed traveling there, they said they had been too. Then I found out they were only there for partial day excursion on a cruise. While no doubt fun, they didn't really see much of Belize. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I want.You're not really with so many people crammed in all at once. You do what you want. I've been on a few and go my own way. Sometimes I do the tourist things sometimes not. In Jamaica I went walking around whatever town it was. In Cosmel I went to a few places plus the mall. Cayman islands were cool I did some touristy things. On the boat I hung out at the bar, sometimes went to the fancy dinners, went swimming, cosino.... whatever... Never noticed that there were several thousand people.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 12:15
And there you have it, other than the Myan stuff, my interest in that place is at zero, so perfect for the cruise ship thing. Colombia, Panama, Ecuador, etc are places worth spending days, etc in. Other places, one long day more than sufficient.

Well to be fair Belize is slightly more than just Belize city. Belize city is just were the airport is and cruise ships dock. The hundreds of small islands are great, the Placencia area is awesome(great fishing and diving from here). The reef is a short boat ride off the coast so diving is always available. San Pedro(on Ambergris Caye) is a pretty cool town that other than commercial deliveries and some cabs it's pretty much only golf carts or water taxi's for transportation which is all that is needed. Plus food and beer is cheap.

If you want a little excitement you can always make the drive over to the Guatemalan boarder and say hello to all the nice and oh so happy looking Guatemalan soldiers at the border :)

Alex V
09-19-17, 12:28
Just like people who visit NYC and find it a fun dynamic cool place cuz they see the best of it. Until you live there a time, impossible to have a legit feel for it.

Exactly. Tourists go to Time Square and just make my walk to the bus a game of Mario Cart. They never go to Red Hook or Bed-Stuy. The South Bronx isn't on many peoples' itinerary either.

Having said that, I have never felt as unsafe as when I was in Mexico City. I had to go there for work. The client picked us up from the airport, dropped us off at the hotel and told us not to go anywhere. Picked us up at the hotel and drove to the job site, dropped us back off at hotel. Even going to the mall that was attached to the hotel, never stepping foot on the street we would get looks that made me feel really uncomfortable. I felt safer driving through the Atlanta ghettos.... maybe cause I was carrying at the time. I don't know.

Going outside the resort in the DR you see the poverty, but I never felt unsafe. Maybe it's naivete but I feel like the locals are so dependent on tourism that they dare not attack a tourist. Maybe they kill each other left and right but I see Americans and Europeans out and about in the local towns/villages all the time on scooters and such. I prefer to stay at the resort cause I am lazy, but the few times I have ventured out I wasn't as scared as I was in Mexico City.

Firefly
09-19-17, 12:31
I like my guns but it is sad to see people so married to them.

Some of the best places I stayed/lived are "communist" but always had something to do; somewhere to go.

Meanwhile in Gun-loving South there isnt much for people to do but breed, get drunk, fight, or get high. Or worse get nosy in other people's business.

Per the OP of St. Martin, sucks for them. France and the Dutch don't have quite the force projection of the US.

I doubt the French govt is gonna send the Foreign Legion to save that one lady.
Meh....

But if I were in a place with total lack of rule of law; I will get a weapon some kind of a way and they can sort it out once order is restored.

Coal Dragger
09-19-17, 12:41

Same here. Went on one didn't think I'd like it. Had a good time.

Funny about the ship gym, I'm a workout before dinner kind of guy: mid to late afternoon then go get cleaned up for dinner with wife and family, at any rate within a day or two you start to see the same people there at the same time. Just like my gym at home.

If you're self disciplined enough to work out normally, getting on the party boat doesn't change that. Just wish there were more free weights to do proper squats, and deadlifts etc. However, understandable that they don't equip the vessel that way given the variable of weather. Plus only a small percentage of gym goers do stuff like that anyway.

Eurodriver
09-19-17, 13:32
I can go to my own ranch in Wyoming, have an AR-15 with me the entire time, and do whatever I want. Yosemite? National Parks are for retarded city dwellers who know nothing about the outdoors.

What exactly do I need to "see" in the Caribbean? African 3rd world squalor? I went to the Bahamas one time and that was enough.

I'd rather take the week off and sleep all week at home, than go on a cruise.

Don't need to tell me about the beauty of being out on your own land with an AR15 and the silence that goes along with it. I enjoy every second when I do it.

But I also enjoyed seeing lava dumped into the Pacific Ocean at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and reef diving off of Charlotte Amalie, and hanging out with locals across the street from Taipei 101.

I guess you must have volcanoes on your ranch and know all about them. Care to share any pics?

P.S. I would not want to visit a place like Taiwan when China is doing military exercise nearby. I wouldn't visit St Martin during the peak of Hurricane season. I don't walk around wearing white shoes with knee high white socks and a fanny pack in Nassau. There are ways to avoid issues when you are vacationing while still seeing the world. I sure as shit wouldn't live where I can't carry or defend myself, but I'm not going to limit my vacations to ~33 states in the US just because I need mah guns...

Det-Sog
09-19-17, 13:52

Same for Hawaii.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 13:58
Well to be fair Belize is slightly more than just Belize city. Belize city is just were the airport is and cruise ships dock. The hundreds of small islands are great, the Placencia area is awesome(great fishing and diving from here). The reef is a short boat ride off the coast so diving is always available. San Pedro(on Ambergris Caye) is a pretty cool town that other than commercial deliveries and some cabs it's pretty much only golf carts or water taxi's for transportation which is all that is needed. Plus food and beer is cheap.

If you want a little excitement you can always make the drive over to the Guatemalan boarder and say hello to all the nice and oh so happy looking Guatemalan soldiers at the border :)

Having met oh so happy looking soldiers at the border at the Colombian and Costa Rica border, I have fulfilled that bucket list. What I would like to do is go into the Gap, but would only do so with an experienced, preferably armed, party as the Gap is no BS.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 13:59
Don't need to tell me about the beauty of being out on your own land with an AR15 and the silence that goes along with it. I enjoy every second when I do it.

But I also enjoyed seeing lava dumped into the Pacific Ocean at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and reef diving off of Charlotte Amalie, and hanging out with locals across the street from Taipei 101.

I guess you must have volcanoes on your ranch and know all about them. Care to share any pics?

P.S. I would not want to visit a place like Taiwan when China is doing military exercise nearby. I wouldn't visit St Martin during the peak of Hurricane season. I don't walk around wearing white shoes with knee high white socks and a fanny pack in Nassau. There are ways to avoid issues when you are vacationing while still seeing the world. I sure as shit wouldn't live where I can't carry or defend myself, but I'm not going to limit my vacations to ~33 states in the US just because I need mah guns...

Well said on pretty much all points. Seeing the world is pretty awesome. If I limited my travel to only places I could take my guns I would never leave a handful of states. Don't act like a retarded tourist flashing cash and your Rolex while wearing a giant DSLR around your neck and you will more than likely be fine in most of the world. Mitigated risk with just about everything in life.

Check out Robert Young Pelton and maybe read his book "Worlds Most Dangerous Places" and "Come Back Alive". Obviously he takes it to level 100 but it might give some perspective. Regular people

WillBrink
09-19-17, 14:09
Same for Hawaii.

Never been but heard that many times.

WillBrink
09-19-17, 14:09
Same for Hawaii.

Never been but heard that many times.

ABNAK
09-19-17, 15:05
Having met oh so happy looking soldiers at the border at the Colombian and Costa Rica border, I have fulfilled that bucket list. What I would like to do is go into the Gap, but would only do so with an experienced, preferably armed, party as the Gap is no BS.

Dude, I had my fill of the jungla after 3 years as a grunt in Panama. You can have the Gap! I know you're adventurous and such but why would you want to go there? If it was a properly protected drive down there (at least as far as any roads go), with air conditioning, maybe for the need to see it. Maybe.

That said, I'm not voluntarily walking through that kind of crap ever again!

WillBrink
09-19-17, 15:15
Dude, I had my fill of the jungla after 3 years as a grunt in Panama. You can have the Gap! I know you're adventurous and such but why would you want to go there? If it was a properly protected drive down there (at least as far as any roads go), with air conditioning, maybe for the need to see it. Maybe.

Cuz it's there! Not like I wanna move into the Gap, but it's one of the last truly wild places like that on this planet and part II of my fiction series was focused on the Gap. A member here, who had read my series worked in the Gap and sent me some pics which was really cool. The Panama side is fairly safe in terms of two legged varmints, but minus a guide or six who really know what they are doing in there, I aint going. Adventurous and stupid are two separate things in my book.

Honu
09-19-17, 19:01
being from Hawaii and also have lived in the Caribbean

I had more in common with the Caribs than mainland folks here in many ways
reality is that chick in the vid is a tourist? even if she has lived there 20 years by local standards a tourist

folks like that milk the locals and the island for its beauty and all the good stuff no biggy most do and its just the way it is
I imagine most parts they never step foot in and reality is good reason as many parts would be like wearing a trump shirt and go to the slums in Chicago would not end well for you
could be wrong but I am sure she is like most they are outsiders they setup there own stores there own comfort places etc..
otherwise she would be with her friends helping not on the internet whining about the reality that people who are bad see weakness like storms and such and go on the prowl outside there normal hunting grounds

Maui started to turn into that with the move in of large box stores and starbucks putting true local places out of business
ironic though many people want to move somewhere for the new life culture yet stay isolated and like we want immigrants here to embrace I do the same when I have lived in other countries and its the best thing as the locals can see you trying etc.. my best friends were all locals and went to local places etc.. and because of that I never had issues and the couple times someone said something all the rest stepped in for me

the thing is island life is like no other and you do not choose a island a island chooses you !

MegademiC
09-19-17, 20:58
What is "the Gap"?

Love the Caribbean and the people there - hope them all the best.

scottryan
09-19-17, 21:59
Most of the locals in these places live on $20 a week and can't read.

I don't see the allure of going there.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-19-17, 22:16
Same here. Went on one didn't think I'd like it. Had a good time.

Funny about the ship gym, I'm a workout before dinner kind of guy: mid to late afternoon then go get cleaned up for dinner with wife and family, at any rate within a day or two you start to see the same people there at the same time. Just like my gym at home.

If you're self disciplined enough to work out normally, getting on the party boat doesn't change that. Just wish there were more free weights to do proper squats, and deadlifts etc. However, understandable that they don't equip the vessel that way given the variable of weather. Plus only a small percentage of gym goers do stuff like that anyway.

When I went to the Bahamas this year I swore I wasn't going to workout, but then I did. They had an excellent gym where we were and it was actually really nice, I'd crush a workout and then crush the rum punch. I ended up working out on my normal schedule. I like to workout in the morning so on workout days I didn't drink before 0730 and I made sure I stopped no earlier than 0200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 23:01
What is "the Gap"?

Darien Gap . Worth at least a google.

AKDoug
09-20-17, 01:44
Well said on pretty much all points. Seeing the world is pretty awesome. If I limited my travel to only places I could take my guns I would never leave a handful of states. Don't act like a retarded tourist flashing cash and your Rolex while wearing a giant DSLR around your neck and you will more than likely be fine in most of the world. Mitigated risk with just about everything in life.

Check out Robert Young Pelton and maybe read his book "Worlds Most Dangerous Places" and "Come Back Alive". Obviously he takes it to level 100 but it might give some perspective. Regular people

I have reciprocity with 37 states and permits in two others that don't recognize Alaska's. I still haven't been to all those states and all that they have to offer. A Canadian PAL card isn't hard to get, so my shotgun can come along. Besides, it's citizens are far more civilized than what I have seen in most states in the U.S. I just finished a trip through the Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Y'all can have your islands and tropics, I'll take the mountains and rivers all day long. I only have so many weekends and vacation days in life and the last thing I want to do is spend it with a bunch of people. I enjoy meeting locals, just in limited quantities.

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-17, 04:52

I have a former colleague who was in Noriega's military. After his fall my buddy started flying different gigs. One was flying out to remote villages to bring Indians into the city for medical treatments that required a hospital. He told me there is a good number of people that go into the Gap every year and never make it back.

I really wished you would post more. I read most of your posts in the voice of Ron Swanson. :cool:

Y'all can have your islands and tropics, I'll take the mountains and rivers all day long. I only have so many weekends and vacation days in life and the last thing I want to do is spend it with a bunch of people. I enjoy meeting locals, just in limited quantities.

This all day long.

Eurodriver
09-20-17, 06:44
I have reciprocity with 37 states and permits in two others that don't recognize Alaska's. I still haven't been to all those states and all that they have to offer. A Canadian PAL card isn't hard to get, so my shotgun can come along. Besides, it's citizens are far more civilized than what I have seen in most states in the U.S. I just finished a trip through the Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Y'all can have your islands and tropics, I'll take the mountains and rivers all day long. I only have so many weekends and vacation days in life and the last thing I want to do is spend it with a bunch of people. I enjoy meeting locals, just in limited quantities.

Have you ever seen the Urals? What about the Andes? The Alps? Beautiful mountains with beautiful rivers.

MegademiC
09-20-17, 07:11
Darien Gap . Worth at least a google.

That's awesome. I'm a sucker for rainforest/jungle.

yoni
09-20-17, 07:22
I was only on St. Martin for about 2 months, but got to know some of the locals. It is a place that has danger among a part of the population, combine that with the motorcycle racing and they were always putting someone in the ground.

pinzgauer
09-20-17, 08:00
Having said that, I have never felt as unsafe as when I was in Mexico City. I had to go there for work. The client picked us up from the airport, dropped us off at the hotel and told us not to go anywhere. Picked us up at the hotel and drove to the job site, dropped us back off at hotel. Even going to the mall that was attached to the hotel, never stepping foot on the street we would get looks that made me feel really uncomfortable. I felt safer driving through the Atlanta ghettos.... maybe cause I was carrying at the time.

Same exact thing for Sao Paulo.

I did not pick up hatred though, more the way a starving man would look at a plate full of food that just happened to show up.

I do think they know that tourons and business travelers are unarmed and won't have armed guards the way even middle-class locals often will.

pinzgauer
09-20-17, 08:29

Maybe not as well-informed as you think, many of the Caribbean islands are ahead of the US in literacy rate.

Barbados is number 12 in the world, largely behind the Scandinavian countries. Also has a very high percentage of access to clean water, Etc.

True travel does broaden the Mind. Makes you appreciate what you have, and also wish for some of the things that you don't have.

I've been to a lot of different countries, and have yet to visit a place that did not have some redeeming qualities and also some things I didn't like.

Most of them tend to balance out. And never regretted going to a single one of them. Several that I didn't think I would like I loved!

Growing up in South Florida in the 60-70s, I hate tourists. Hate being one even more. When we travel it's usually off the beaten path more than tourist zones. Never do formal tours except for to see a specific item of Interest like castles or historic ruins. Travelled in over 15 Euro/Scandi/UK countries last couple of years and nary a group tour or itinerary. Driven thousands of km on other continents.

We learned that most UNESCO sites are really worth seeing. So when we travel we seek those out. Never been disappointed yet. And there are many around the world.

Example: I'm not a huge fan of Paris, many areas of France I prefer. Actually, pretty much every other part of France I prefer. But until you've driven through the Arc De Triumphe roundabout you really do not understand. I now understand why it's a check off item for French who get their driver's license. Not really a bucket list, but something everyone should experience at least once. It's like running a big set of Rapids, you whoop and high five when you come out safely on the other side.

I could give 100 examples of things like that, some mundane, some Majestic. All in countries that I didn't think I'd really like. But came to appreciate. And came to realize that consistently there are cool things in pretty much every country, many of which you've not heard of until you research it a bit. And in most cases the coolest were well off the Beaten Track and took a good bit of effort to get too.

I don't consider cruising traveling, it's an entirely different Beast. I did not think I would like it, and was very surprised to find I enjoyed it as much as I did. The big difference is you don't have to worry about logistics at all. And in a group everyone can kind of do their own thing.

So it's a very relaxing thing, more of a getaway. I will do both going forward. I really enjoy seeing how locals live, work, and shop and you will never see that on a cruise. But they don't pretend that is the experience either.

I'm a Royal Caribbean fan. Wife and daughter prefer Disney. Sons like both.

It will never replace my non-structured, independent travel. Just a different thing. And enjoyable!

WillBrink
09-20-17, 08:32
What is "the Gap"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

WillBrink
09-20-17, 08:36
That's awesome. I'm a sucker for rainforest/jungle.

Part II of my series takes place mostly in the Gap:

https://www.amazon.com/VACATION-GONE-SOUTH-II-Welcome-ebook/dp/B011JDNOZE/

pinzgauer
09-20-17, 08:40
Have you ever seen the Urals? What about the Andes? The Alps? Beautiful mountains with beautiful rivers.
Cinque Terre at sunset. Driving off the mountain into Budapest at night and seeing the forts, river, and bridges lit up.

The Alps, dolomites, and Tyrol. Well preserved Roman colesium in Verona next to a fort/castle that Leonardo da Vinci designed. Derelict castle on a bend in an isolated stretch of the Danube. Lake and city of Luzurn at night or early morning. The amazing thing is that these places are where people work and live, not a gated off, managed tourist ride.

Much to see that the US will never have. And we have some stuff they don't. One thing I will say, their stuff is largely accessible. If you've not gone on a Grand Canyon rafting trip yet the odds are you won't be able to. Glad I peeked over the rim, but I don't consider that I have actually seen it yet

ABNAK
09-20-17, 09:24

Not to sound elitist, but it ain't for the locals. Tropical AO's are beautiful when you've been bitten by the bug. Some folks prefer mountains and rivers, glaciers, etc. My weakness is palm trees, warm sun, and aqua-blue waters.

WillBrink
09-20-17, 09:35
Not to sound elitist, but it ain't for the locals. Tropical AO's are beautiful when you've been bitten by the bug. Some folks prefer mountains and rivers, glaciers, etc. My weakness is palm trees, warm sun, and aqua-blue waters.

You were literally bitten by various bugs in the jungles of Panama no doubt. I love the mountains and rivers, glaciers, etc but I need to see the ocean and walk on the beach and be on the water. I'd like to do a few weeks in Alaska some day hiking and camping with my Ruger Scout slung over my back, but I have salt water in my blood. Almost moved to Denver, but it felt very claustrophobic knowing there was no ocean for a thousand miles give or take. Saint Thomas was great, if not for the crime. Panama has just about everything I wanted, but if course, no place is perfect.

ABNAK
09-20-17, 10:47
You were literally bitten by various bugs in the jungles of Panama no doubt. I love the mountains and rivers, glaciers, etc but I need to see the ocean and walk on the beach and be on the water. I'd like to do a few weeks in Alaska some day hiking and camping with my Ruger Scout slung over my back, but I have salt water in my blood. Almost moved to Denver, but it felt very claustrophobic knowing there was no ocean for a thousand miles give or take. Saint Thomas was great, if not for the crime. Panama has just about everything I wanted, but if course, no place is perfect.

LOL! That too!

AKDoug
09-20-17, 21:48
Have you ever seen the Urals? What about the Andes? The Alps? Beautiful mountains with beautiful rivers. I have mountain ranges I haven't even made it to in Alaska yet and I have spent a ton of time exploring AK. Still haven't been to Utah either and just made it to Oregon this year. I still have fantasies of taking a whole summer off and canoeing the vast Mackenzie River system in Canada. I have been blessed to have traveled by boat most of the Yukon River. I honestly have no desire to head to Europe when I haven't even explored the vastness of my northern world. I'd give up my no guns allowed mantra to be able to snowmobile in the Andes just because I could reach a life goal of riding every month of the year.

usmcvet
09-22-17, 12:49
I own a timeshare at Oyster Bay Beach Resort in Sint Maarten. Lots of great people there. I have not seen much news, the best I saw was on Al Jazeera on youtube. I eel badly for those folks now. I know th French and Dutch sent help but man they don't have many options.

yoni
09-24-17, 06:52
Well Maria hit me pretty good from what I understand. A lot of big non cacao trees down that damaged cacao trees on the way down. But more important the wind stripped thousands of blossoms off the trees which means next harvest is going to be way down. Will not even break even, this year.

JoshNC
09-24-17, 09:23
Well Maria hit me pretty good from what I understand. A lot of big non cacao trees down that damaged cacao trees on the way down. But more important the wind stripped thousands of blossoms off the trees which means next harvest is going to be way down. Will not even break even, this year.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

yoni
09-24-17, 19:30
I just got a video report.

On the first day of the Jewish New Year when we believe among other things G-D sets our income for the year to come, my farm was wiped out by Maria.

Moose-Knuckle
09-25-17, 05:51
I just got a video report.

On the first day of the Jewish New Year when we believe among other things G-D sets our income for the year to come, my farm was wiped out by Maria.

I remember you saying that you dodged Irma and then BAM here came Maria.

Sorry for your losses.

yoni
09-26-17, 04:32
I am actually full of joy and thank G-D, for what happened.

On Rosh Hashana most of us and myself included would go to synagogue and pray. We would admit that G-D is in control of who will be sick or healthy, what nations will have war or peace and also if we are going to be rich or poor.

As I am saying those words, the creator of the Universe is giving me a lesson. My choice can be to piss and moan, about lost investment and lost profit in the future. Or I can say thank you for loving me enough to give me this opportunity to see you G-D at work in my life.

I don't know what G-D has in store for me. I do know this that I talked with Rabbi Brody who is the one that translated to english Rabbi Arush's great books and is a friend of mine yesterday told me keep strong and full of faith for G-D will come to my aid since it is G-D that sets my income.
I would recommend Rabbi Arush's book the Universal Garden of Emuna which was wriiten for the non Jewish world.