PDA

View Full Version : What grease to replace Tetra gun grease?

El Pistolero
09-17-17, 12:23
Hello,
I need recommendations for a new gun grease. I'll preface by saying that I only use grease for two specific applications that call for it: the frame rails of my classic P-series SIGs (P226, P228), and an M1 Garand. I'm only asking about grease and not oil or other lubricants.

So my problem with Tetra grease is that if it sits for too long it turns brown or yellow and gummy and is no longer grease-like at all. This happens after a year or more of sitting unused, with clean grease on a clean gun, not a gun that was fired and then put away. I'm looking for recommendations for a good gun grease that is not harmful to any gun finishes or wood and doesn't stink. An M1 Garand site I was looking at recommended Mobil 1 synthetic grease so that's one option so far. I also hear good things about the Slip2000 line of products and I see that they also make a grease. Not sure what to pick though. I especially want to hear from people who've greased something and left it for a year or more.

223to45
09-17-17, 12:36
Well the greases I have used are ,
1)Slip2000 EWG
2) Brian Enos Slide Glide
3) Archoil AR8300

All seem to work good.

Long term so far seem fine, but generally mine never sit for a year, so I can't say for sure on that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

soulezoo
09-17-17, 13:15
I have used Rig grease for years on the hinges of my O/U shotguns. My shotguns don't see a lot of use these days and may sit 2-3 years. I see no degradation of the grease at all.
This is more of an "old timer" grease, but it works.

TomMcC
09-17-17, 15:31
I use Mobil 1 grease I get at Walmart. A big tube of it costs like $12.

Lefty223
09-17-17, 16:50
Definitely the Slip2000 EWG grease, for a modern choice! But I still use Lubriplate on my M1, from the little yellow containers, as I have a huge box of them.

For myself, I would equate RIG grease right up there with cosmoline ... argueable the 2 best grease products EVER for rust prevention, it I'd never buy or use them for their lubricating properties.

Outlander Systems
09-17-17, 17:10
Go to Advance/AutoZone/Pep Boys etc.

Buy something synthetic.

Done.

SomeOtherGuy
09-17-17, 19:57
Go to Advance/AutoZone/Pep Boys etc.
Buy something synthetic.
Done.

+1. Any decent auto grease, which sells for $3-4 per 12oz tube, should be more than adequate. I like the waterproof ones meant for greasing boat-trailer-bearings, on the theory that friction is not much of an issue for firearms but water is.

If you want a gun-marketed product, I have been very happy with Slip 2000 products and have come back to them after trying several others. Froglube paste has also worked for me. On the flip side, I have Weaponshield grease and it doesn't impress me.

SomeOtherGuy
09-17-17, 19:57
inexplicable double tap.

T2C
09-17-17, 20:03
I use Valvoline synthetic wheel bearing grease on M1 Garands. Mobil 1 works as well as Valvoline, but I like having grease in a tub not a tube.

The Garand Gear website has some good information on M1 Garand maintenance. http://www.garandgear.com/

BrigandTwoFour
09-17-17, 20:49
Another Slip 2000 EWG user, here. It's worth a try

Kain
09-17-17, 21:01
Third or fourth Slip 2K EWG. Had used it on shotguns for a while, as well as other guns, as well as even using it as a rust preventer on other guns which sit long and are shot rarely. One particular FN rifle which the bolt will rust if you look at the wrong way and after a very liberal application of the grease has stayed rust free. I think I paid about $12 for a 4 ounce jar from SKD a couple years back.

PrarieDog
09-17-17, 22:23
Big fan of Brian Enos Slide Glide. Stays put, doesn't require much, and the gun really does operate extremely smooth. I have tried other greases but have had my best results from slide glide. For oil though not asked for I like royal purple. Works as well as mobil one but doesn't smell like crap.

daniel87
09-17-17, 23:51
I have used mobile 1 synth and lucas.

I agree with any synthetic grease from the auto store.

A gun is a machine.

It slides and rotates, and has issues with water, rust, and carbon.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ron3
09-18-17, 00:09
I've been using "Super Lube" synthetic grease with Syncolon (PTFE) by Synco Chemical Corp.

Temp range -45 deg F to 450 deg F.

"Multi-purpose Heavy duty compatible with most other lubricants."

Came in a big 400g tub for $10 or $15 or so I forget. It's basically a clear automotive wheel bearing grease. IT HAS ALMOST NO ODOR which was important to me. The solvent I use is Hoppes Elite. It has almost no odor either. (Slight ammonia smell)

I apply a very thin layer to sliding parts. Seems to work fine. But most things work fine. Just don't let your gun run dry, especially when it's dirty.

I use synthetic motor oil on rotating parts that I can't get the grease on. Pins and things that rotate and places where I want the lubricant to run down/spread and coat.

El Pistolero
09-18-17, 00:38
Thanks for the replies. Since there were several endorsements for Slip2000 EWG I will try that, as well as some top-shelf synthetic grease from the local auto parts store.

Dienekes
09-18-17, 14:29
Tractor Supply lithium grease; great for the combine too. But if I'm out, then the Slip 2000 stuff for the Garand...