PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Mummy

WillBrink
09-18-17, 08:15
This latest version of the Mummy reminded me of the fun light hearted movies of the past where they didn't take themselves too seriously, and good silly fun had by all. This modern take has the Mummy (played by the beautiful ‎Sofia Boutella), has zombies, and even Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde. It's more Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943) meets An American Werewolf in London (1981) than modern movies of the ilk that take themselves way too seriously for my taste. Tom Cruise and the rest of the cast do a solid job. Visuals and CGI are excellent. It's old school monster movie meets updated visuals and I had fun with it remembering my fondness for when such movies were more fun than scarry. B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzorZUuZqEI

ABNAK
09-18-17, 08:18
Watched it last night. The dead friend who kept appearing reminded me of An American Werewolf In London. "You shot me.....three times!"

Notice the SCARs carried by Cruise and his buddy during the firefight seen?

Watrdawg
09-18-17, 08:28
I watched it last week and thought it was good. When it first came out the reviews said it was another flop and probably the end of Cruise's career. So I was a little leery of it. Will, your description fits this film perfectly.

WillBrink
09-18-17, 08:40
Watched it last night. The dead friend who kept appearing reminded me of An American Werewolf In London. "You shot me.....three times!"

Notice the SCARs carried by Cruise and his buddy during the firefight seen?

Of course! I noted they also dumped them some place as they went from having to not in the same scene. Not good editing that.

I watched it last week and thought it was good. When it first came out the reviews said it was another flop and probably the end of Cruise's career. So I was a little leery of it. Will, your description fits this film perfectly.

I was surprised by how bad the reviews were. Obviously they didn't "get" it and and probably many too young to remember the past movies of the ilk. This seemed an omage to the past movies with way better visuals. Obviously not Cruise's best movie, but I was too busy looking at Sofia Boutella to care frankly.

militarymoron
09-18-17, 09:15
I thought it was better than the reviews, as well. And I liked that Tom Cruise played it a bit dumb. I'd give it a B myself.

Big A
09-18-17, 12:33
I don't know if you guys know this but this movie is the beginning of a Universal studios interconnected monster movie universe connecting all the classic monster movies.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/universal-monsters/255097/complete-upcoming-dark-universe-monsters-movie-schedule

WillBrink
09-18-17, 14:05
I don't know if you guys know this but this movie is the beginning of a Universal studios interconnected monster movie universe connecting all the classic monster movies.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/universal-monsters/255097/complete-upcoming-dark-universe-monsters-movie-schedule

It was easy to spot in this movie, though one has to wonder after the poor reviews etc whether the execs at universal will still wanna pony up for it.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-tom-cruise-box-office-bomb-loss-1202114482/

glocktogo
09-18-17, 17:28
I was surprised by how bad the reviews were. Obviously they didn't "get" it and and probably many too young to remember the past movies of the ilk. This seemed an omage to the past movies with way better visuals. Obviously not Cruise's best movie, but I was too busy looking at Sofia Boutella to care frankly.

We live in such an overly serious world now that the value of a non-serious movie is seriously degraded. For instance, I doubt a Mel Brooks movie could even get a major studio release today, much less be successful. :(

Kain
09-18-17, 18:20
Saw it, wasn't bad, at least wasn't the shit show that some made it out to be, but I just kind of had a luke warm reaction to it. Cruise's performance wasn't bad, he just doesn't thrill me. The thing that actually got me to sit up was Crowe's presence and the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde which really makes me hope they do a stand alone movie on that. That looks interesting. Also, I'd probably rate the movie a bit below others here since I honestly preferred the Earlier 2000's Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser, at least the first two. They just entertained me more. And getting bored enough to watch them with the actor and director commentaries I found those to be some of the more entertaining commentaries for movies.