PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys put on your leather boots?

NYH1
09-18-17, 17:12
All my boots are waterproof (or as my best friends parents say "wooderproof"....it's a Philly thing!). I always get Coretec or the like whether they're insulated or not. I HATE wet feet. But I want to put something on the leather. Any ideas?

Thanks, NYH1.

Defaultmp3
09-18-17, 17:44
http://www.obenaufs.com/4-ounce-heavy-duty-leather-preservative-p/heavy-duty-lp.htm

AKDoug
09-18-17, 18:19
Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather.

seb5
09-18-17, 18:27
I used mink oil for years but don't know if it is still viable but it worked well.

Dienekes
09-18-17, 19:07
I was just rummaging around the garage the other day; found 48 (I think) cans of military surplus boot grease which still seems good. Danged box must weigh 30 pounds. Anybody interested?

Inkslinger
09-18-17, 19:13
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mink+oil&sprefix=Mink%2Caps%2C174&crid=24ZNFC60ESBTN

SilverBullet432
09-18-17, 19:44
I usually just wipe mine down then clean with saddle soap. Which reminds me; I need to clean mine! 47534

VARIABLE9
09-18-17, 21:17
If you have waterproof and breathable (e.g. GoreTex) footwear go for a waterproofer / conditioner made for GT, like a Nikwax product suggested above. If you have straight leather non WP my favorite (old skool) is SnoSeal.

El Pistolero
09-18-17, 21:58
I use mink oil on my Danner Quarry boots.

SomeOtherGuy
09-18-17, 22:09
Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather.

This, on better boots or ones without a Goretex (type) membrane. It has worked great on a range of boots including Italian-made motorcycle boots. It can change the look of leather slightly, but I don't care, it works well and isn't both toxic and flammable like some alternatives.

I've heard great things about Obenauf's but have never used it.

Spray silicone if they're basically shoes but I want minor water and stain protection.

Kiwi paste polish if they are glossy smooth leather. (Does anyone under 40 own smooth leather boots???)

Campbell
09-18-17, 22:13
If you have waterproof and breathable (e.g. GoreTex) footwear go for a waterproofer / conditioner made for GT, like a Nikwax product suggested above. If you have straight leather non WP my favorite (old skool) is SnoSeal.

This^^^^

26 Inf
09-18-17, 23:04
(Does anyone under 40 own smooth leather boots???)

Paratroopers?

Police Officers?

Hookers?

Dominatrixs?

Urban Cowboys?

AKDoug
09-18-17, 23:33
Paratroopers?

Police Officers?

Hookers?

Dominatrixs?

Urban Cowboys?

Every single pair of good hunting boots and work boots I have is smooth leather.

Moose-Knuckle
09-19-17, 04:43
I'm south of fotay and have treated all my Doc Martins and Justin's with SnoSeal to great effect. The trick is to bake them in the oven first.

hdrolling
09-19-17, 06:10
Paratroopers?

Police Officers?

Hookers?

Dominatrixs?

Urban Cowboys?

You forgot bikers.

Everyone I ride Harley's with wear over the ankle full leather boots. To restore mine and keep them water proof I use Doc Bailey's leather cleaner, it use to only be sold at motorcycle rallies but some motorcycle dealers sell it now because it works so good.

I bought and 8oz bottle in Daytona in 2006 and have been using the same bottle still.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doc-Baileys-Leather-Cleaner-Waterproof-Restores-Preserves-Black-4fl-oz-/281370969676?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

NYH1
09-19-17, 11:15
Thanks for the replies.

I'll look at Obenauf's, Nikwax and SnoSeal.

Can you put the above mentioned on leather/denier type boots? Or is something altogether different required? A lot of new boots are made of both (leather bottoms, denier uppers). I'd hate to put something on one that will harm the other.

NYH1.

SomeOtherGuy
09-19-17, 12:09
Can you put the above mentioned on leather/denier type boots? Or is something altogether different required? A lot of new boots are made of both (leather bottoms, denier uppers). I'd hate to put something on one that will harm the other.
NYH1.

Nikwax works fine on fabric+leather combinations. They have a special version for those, but I've also had fine results using the regular version. I don't know how the other two work on nylon fabric.

VARIABLE9
09-19-17, 12:15
Thanks for the replies.

I'll look at Obenauf's, Nikwax and SnoSeal.

NYH1.
That's where the aqueous leather treatments like Nikwax would be needed, for mixed materials. Products like SnoSeal would be for straight leather - smooth leathers it will darken and suedes will darken and mat down the suede.

http://www.nikwax.com/usblog/dear-professor-nikwax-how-do-i-care-for-my-footwear-2/

NYH1
09-19-17, 14:38
Nikwax works fine on fabric+leather combinations. They have a special version for those, but I've also had fine results using the regular version. I don't know how the other two work on nylon fabric.
That's where the aqueous leather treatments like Nikwax would be needed, for mixed materials. Products like SnoSeal would be for straight leather - smooth leathers it will darken and suedes will darken and mat down the suede.

http://www.nikwax.com/usblog/dear-professor-nikwax-how-do-i-care-for-my-footwear-2/
Ok, cool.

NYH1.