PDA

View Full Version : Possible terrorist dry run?

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 14:34
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/cellphone-bomb-mangalore-airport-india-11202489

Interesting looking device. Authorities first thought it was a cellphone bomb but it ended up being a home made power bank. I have to admit it certainly looks like it could be a terrorist dry run. Why in the hell would you make your own power bank and then use a clay like substance to hold the battery in place, all hidden inside a phone casing.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article11202520.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JIP_MDG_190917Mangalore-_3650JPG.jpg

HeruMew
09-19-17, 16:51
I dunno...

Maybe?

Some people do some pretty dumb chit. It wouldn't surprise me if the 26 year old was a recent student, or had an interest in DIY.

I wouldn't ever conceal clay and bring it through sec. But, if I was stupid and didn't think that 2 dollars of clay and some solder would cause a flubbub, I might have tried it.

In our tech age, I am 50/50. But, if it was a "dry-run" which, I doubt, it was foiled easily, and the person will be on watch and surveillance for a LONG time now.

Kain
09-19-17, 16:58
Not convinced it was a dry run. Could have been, but most terrorists I think know a bomb like that is going to get caught. There also the fact that it could have also been someone having fun at security's expense. I have known guys who were flying who had cheese or bottles in their bags, wrapped wires around them, and in some cases stuck a broken cell phone or their alarm clock with it and set it through. They got nice notes in their luggage that the TSA had checked their bags, but that was it.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 18:13
Probably right it wasn't a dry run as I guess what would the point be. But with that said, I can't imagine being dumb enough to conceal clay, wires, and a battery inside a cellphone case .

Kain
09-19-17, 18:22
But with that said, I can't imagine being dumb enough to conceal clay, wires, and a battery inside a cellphone case .

You don't get out much do you? I see plenty of people who are that stupid. Hell, at my old job we used to have people make threats to staff over the phone, after having provided their contact information to us. Never. NEVER!!!, underestimate the power of stupid.

Honu
09-19-17, 19:03
wannabe copycat like that clock boy idiot most likely who wants to become a internet star by being stupid is my guess ?
and then whine and complain how they did so much bad to him over his harmless home made device

Whiskey_Bravo
09-19-17, 19:04
You don't get out much do you? I see plenty of people who are that stupid. Hell, at my old job we used to have people make threats to staff over the phone, after having provided their contact information to us. Never. NEVER!!!, underestimate the power of stupid.

True, I guess I just don't want to believe it.

Co-gnARR
09-19-17, 19:40
wannabe copycat like that clock boy idiot most likely who wants to become a internet star by being stupid is my guess ?
and then whine and complain how they did so much bad to him over his harmless home made device

Beat me to it. Some people just want to push the limits of common sense and sound judgement.

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-17, 07:33
Hah, this reminds me of "Clock Boy" who's dad is a jihadist sympathizer in CAIR that got all the bleeding hearts screaming "islamophobia" when the police decided to take a closer look at his home made "clock" in school.

I love to make some of my own firearms, doesn't mean I should take them to the airport.

tb-av
09-20-17, 22:51
The -stupid- aspect aside... why would you make that POS when you can buy a battery pack for like $5. With stupid figured in, it still seems suspicious to me. If I had to choose, I would go with dry run.

kwelz
09-21-17, 00:59
Lots of people make their own.

Now saying one way or the other on this but calling a battery pack a terrorist dry run seems a bit... Well it seems really out there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/power-bank-kit.html

HeruMew
09-21-17, 09:43
The -stupid- aspect aside... why would you make that POS when you can buy a battery pack for like $5. With stupid figured in, it still seems suspicious to me. If I had to choose, I would go with dry run.

Because with a dead/broken phone (based on the phone battery and old phone shell, I would think this may be the case) 10 cents worth of solder and an old USB board, you can make one for no more then about a dollar and 20 minutes.

Still stupid, on many accounts, but the clock boy perspective is a unique one.

15 minutes of fame is always being sought still.

tb-av
09-21-17, 22:05
Maybe I just can't see it, but there doesn't appear to be any regulation circuit. It just looks like a string of usb ports and a battery with no circuit. So it's not really safe to use and it's a fire hazard.

I guess if it looked more like a real DIY from spare parts I could buy it. It just looks too 'faked' to me.

Co-gnARR
09-21-17, 22:12
Maybe I just can't see it, but there doesn't appear to be any regulation circuit. It just looks like a string of usb ports and a battery with no circuit. So it's not really safe to use and it's a fire hazard.

I guess if it looked more like a real DIY from spare parts I could buy it. It just looks too 'faked' to me.

So dude is likely very amateur in the electronics world, and has failed to look at the DIY wiki's for home rolled chargers. That, or he's an expendable no body set up for penetration testing security protocol for some bad people...my opinion is the former...

Moose-Knuckle
09-22-17, 04:15

You bring up a good point.

There are regs on shipping and air travel concerning various batteries, etc. so even if the screeners didn't think "OMG an IED" there still could be concern over if the thing will catch fire on a plane in the air.

glocktogo
09-22-17, 12:46
Stupid or not, likely or not, it's a dry run until PROVEN otherwise. 26 y.o. Mohammed flying to Dubai with an item that looks exactly what a cell phone IED would look like, doesn't get a pass just because it turns out to be an item that looks exactly what a cell phone IED would look like. :(