PDA

View Full Version : Vertical grip. Pro and cons?

platinumdude
10-07-08, 09:29
I know there are threads out here, but can't find any on why people like vertical grips on their ARs. Do you get a better hold that just gripping the guard? Or is it that it's cooler (temperature wise) to hold?

theJanitor
10-07-08, 11:04
Yesterday's poll (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19925)

Eye Spy
10-07-08, 11:04
It is a more natural posture of the hand to grab a VFG than having your hand turned palms up holding the handguard. The hold on the magwell is also a more natural posture than the handguard. BUT the magwell hold is a no-no for safety reasons (in case of KB). That being said, some still like doing things the "old" way and opt for the handguard hold.

VFGs, in my opinion make for a firmer hold / control especially in full auto or burst fire. I use VFGs.

To answer your question on "cool", it would all depend on what VFG you are using. Aluminum VFGs also heat up after several rounds.

TheActivePatriot
10-08-08, 09:35
It's more comfortable for most people. The only real drawback I can think of is that, depending on how far forward you have the VFG positioned, it can hassle the shooter in resting the handguards on sandbags/logs/tires/etc. in the prone position.

Edit: realistically, though, if you have the rifle set up for shooting from a squared-off standing position, you're going to want the VFG far enough back that it won't present a problem in that regard. YMMV

cathellsk
10-08-08, 10:16
It's more comfortable for most people. The only real drawback I can think of is that, depending on how far forward you have the VFG positioned, it can hassle the shooter in resting the handguards on sandbags/logs/tires/etc. in the prone position.

Edit: realistically, though, if you have the rifle set up for shooting from a squared-off standing position, you're going to want the VFG far enough back that it won't present a problem in that regard. YMMV

Thats what I've always considered when positioning my VFG, it really makes sense. Thats why I also like the LaRue FUG since you can easily remove it with the throw lever.

Shark
10-08-08, 18:11
I chose one with a QD. Sometimes I mount it, while other days I don't. A lot of good info and opinions here. Currently mine is not mounted. I have the full size TG VFG w/QD. I guess it all boils down to preference.

Failure2Stop
10-09-08, 07:01
VFGs and their placement are a series of compromises.

VFGs are used to allow the shooter a place to hold the carbine when the rest of the rails are covered with lights, lasers, and other modules of silliness.

There is no advantage in using a VFG for full-auto once the shooter has been trained. Control in full auto is linked to stance, mount, and front-end control.

I personally prefer to use a VFG as a stopping point for my hand, not an actual gripping point.

The most efficient grip of the forward hand is pointing the index finger along the HG, parallel to the bore, with the thumb on the top of the HG, with the middle, ring and little fingers grasping the bottom of the HG.

Jay Cunningham
10-09-08, 07:05
I will use a VFG at the very front of a 7.0 rail on a carbine because otherwise I'll be grabbing the FSB and barrel which tend to burn.

I may use one on a platform with longer HG's but in general I eschew them.