PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision AC-15 Carbine Complete $499 Thoughts?

Jay H
09-19-17, 21:24
I'm about ready to jump on this. Any reason not too? The "Specs" look good to me. Aero seems to have a good reputation.

Upper Features
• Upper: Standard M4 Upper Receiver
• Barrel: 16" 5.56 NATO, Carbine Length, 1:7 Twist, 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium, QPQ finish, M4 Profile
• Sights: A2 Front Sight - REAR SIGHT NOT INCLUDED
• Handguard: Standard M4 Carbine Handguard with double heat shield
• Gas System: Carbine Length Gas System and A2 Pinned Front Sight Block
• Bolt Carrier Group: M16 Cut, 8620 Steel, Phosphated, Staked, Carpenter 158 Bolt, HP and MPI Tested
• Muzzle Device: Standard A2 Flash Hider
Lower Features
• Lower: Gen 2 Lower Receiver with flared magwell and upper tension screw
• Lower Parts Kit: Standard AR15 Lower Parts Kit
• Buffer Kit: Standard Mil-Spec AR15/M4 Buffer Kit
• Stock: Standard M4 Collapsable Stock
• Grip: Standard A2 Pistol Grip
• Magazine: NOT INCLUDED

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/aero-ac-15-complete-rifle.html

Fuzzy-Reticle
09-19-17, 21:45
I have owned several Aero rifles. While they are not equal to a Colt, DD or BCM or Sionics they all run fine. I had one that had around 4000 rounds through it when I traded it for something else. I had another mid length one that had a canted front site post. I removed it and installed a low profile gas block and FF rail. For a recreational shooter they work great. I knew what they where when I got them so I was ok with it. Their barrels are made by Balistic Advantage, which Aero purchased a while ago. They are not chrome lined but the ones I have experience with have been more than accurate enough for my purposes. That being said for a couple hundred more you could get into a Colt 6920 or 6720.

26 Inf
09-19-17, 22:41
That being said for a couple hundred more you could get into a Colt 6920 or 6720

I'm not dogging Fuzzy-Reticle, I've seen these sentiments posted here before. And OP, I'm not putting you in the category of purchaser I'm about to describe, either.

Sometimes I'll say stuff like that and then remember back to the days where me and Wife #1 saved several months for a $99.00 black and white TV. At that point I was not even willing to consider saving another 3 months for one with a remote.

For some purchasers $200.00 is a deal breaker. On a 500.00 purchases 200.00 more is a 40% increase in price.

Can anyone quantify that a Colt is 40% more accurate, 40% more reliable, 40% longer lasting?

You have to balance intended use, your needs, and your willingness/ability to pay for whatever actual utility that extra 200.00 gives you.

Not aimed at you Fuzzy-Reticle, sorry for the rant.

And by the way, I ride Harley Davidson's, so I am aware that sometimes when you want a brand, you want a brand and are not necessarily concerned with the utility of the extra cost.

Jay H
09-19-17, 23:45
Not sure where you guys are seeing 6920 for $200 more ($700?) Did some searching and the best price I can find for a 6920 (With furniture) is $799 at CDNN. that's $300 more than the Aero 60% more.

Aaron_B
09-20-17, 01:46
Here you go man.

https://grabagun.com/colt-firearms-trooper-m4-carb-5-56mm-16.html

everready73
09-20-17, 07:46
I think the AC-15 is a step up from guns like the Sport 2 and Ruger ar556. It has an MPI tested barrel and MPI/HPT bolt, as well as a 7075 receiver extension. Of the budget ARs it is the best imo, but when the Colt Trooper is $699 its hard to justify the AC-15. Joe Bob Outfitters has the Trooper, which is a 6920 with Centurion rail, for $699 right now

JRHorne
09-20-17, 08:17
Not sure where you guys are seeing 6920 for $200 more ($700?) Did some searching and the best price I can find for a 6920 (With furniture) is $799 at CDNN. that's $300 more than the Aero 60% more.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Colt-Trooper-M4-LE-Carbine-5-56-16-with-M-Lok-Han-p/gun-le6920-r.htm

$699 shipped. So only $199 more than the Aero OP posted, actually less because you pay for shipping with the Aero.

Fuzzy-Reticle
09-20-17, 08:26
Lots of threads about why a buyer should think long and hard about the COLT 69** series. No need to beat that horse any longer IMHO.

The AERO AC-15 is a solid rifle for the $. It is like some others have said a step up from the M&P Sport II another solid option in the sub $700 range.

I totally understand that for some people $200 can be a deal breaker. That's cool. For $500 the AC-15 is a good buy and will serve the OP for a very long time.

If $500 is the OP's budget and that is what he wants to get I say drive on and buy it. He could do a heck of a lot worse. He should shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it. If later he decides he wants something else he can always trade it or sell it to fund another rifle. I hope he gets one. Another AR owner is a good thing IMHO.

JRHorne
09-20-17, 08:36
Lots of threads about why a buyer should think long and hard about the COLT 69** series. No need to beat that horse any longer IMHO.

The AERO AC-15 is a solid rifle for the $. It is like some others have said a step up from the M&P Sport II.

I totally understand that for some people $200 can be a deal breaker. That's cool. For $500 the AC-15 is a good buy and will serve the OP for a very long time.

If $500 is the OP's budget and that is what he wants to get I say drive on and buy it. He could do a heck of a lot worse. He should shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it. If later he decides he wants something else he can always trade it or sell it to fund another rifle. I hope he gets one. Another AR owner is a good thing IMHO.

I totally agree with this as well. I think the biggest thing is understanding that if the OP wants a free-float, quad drop in, etc, his rail choices will be limited with the Aero unless he cuts the FSB. And even if he doesn't, he's likely going to spend close to $200 on a used rail, bringing up the cost to past the Trooper. But $200 down the line is different than an additional $200 now.

OP, with the Aero, you will only need a read site. With the Trooper, you'd need both front and back irons if you wanted them, or you could just go optic to start with.

alx01
09-20-17, 11:32
Aero precision makes great stuff. They actually manufacture a lot of their products instead of other companies who just assemble parts. This is a solid rifle for the money. I would rather have this rifle + red dot than another more expensive rifle without RDS. I have had only positive experience with their products and customer service.

Eurodriver
09-20-17, 11:39
That being said for a couple hundred more you could get into a Colt 6920 or 6720

I'm not dogging Fuzzy-Reticle, I've seen these sentiments posted here before. And OP, I'm not putting you in the category of purchaser I'm about to describe, either.

Sometimes I'll say stuff like that and then remember back to the days where me and Wife #1 saved several months for a $99.00 black and white TV. At that point I was not even willing to consider saving another 3 months for one with a remote.

For some purchasers $200.00 is a deal breaker. On a 500.00 purchases 200.00 more is a 40% increase in price.

Can anyone quantify that a Colt is 40% more accurate, 40% more reliable, 40% longer lasting?

You have to balance intended use, your needs, and your willingness/ability to pay for whatever actual utility that extra 200.00 gives you.

Not aimed at you Fuzzy-Reticle, sorry for the rant.

And by the way, I ride Harley Davidson's, so I am aware that sometimes when you want a brand, you want a brand and are not necessarily concerned with the utility of the extra cost.

I understand your point. Sometimes - very often these days - I've forgotten where I've came from. Rushing home because we couldn't afford the $100 car headlight repair bill and night was falling. Sure couldn't afford the ticket.

Butttttt this is M4C and the standards here are different. There is a mission statement and we have to abide by it. While Aero isn't CMT, for the type of shooting this forum stresses the $699 Colt 6920 is the target to shoot for. Let's not also forget that it is 2017 and $200 is not the same as it was in 1995 (or 1965 in your case ;)) How many people have $500+ cell phones on them? Nearly everyone...

Jay H
09-20-17, 11:40
OK, I did not consider the Trooper into the equation. Thanks for all the input. I'm really looking for a traditional M4 with the FSB. To get that in a Colt 6920, the best deal I can find is at CDNN $799

26 Inf
09-20-17, 14:09
Let's not also forget that it is 2017 and $200 is not the same as it was in 1995 (or 1965 in your case ;))

1973, thank you. We lived in Oceanside, on South Pacific, 3121/2 I believe, it was a garage converted into a studio apartment. As close to the beach as you could get in that area. It took all of our BAQ plus some. The landlady walked in on us screwing one time. It was great. We were dirt poor and loved it, even the Marine part.

26 Inf
09-20-17, 14:24
I understand your point. Sometimes - very often these days - I've forgotten where I've came from. Rushing home because we couldn't afford the $100 car headlight repair bill and night was falling. Sure couldn't afford the ticket.

Butttttt this is M4C and the standards here are different. There is a mission statement and we have to abide by it.

While Aero isn't CMT, for the type of shooting this forum stresses the $699 Colt 6920 is the target to shoot for.

]Regarding the mission statement:

The purpose of M4Carbine.net is to provide a forum to share professional and technical information to the shooting community. The forum is open to military, law enforcement, and recreational shooters.

]But wait, it gets better:

Differences in opinion are quite common amongst the firearms industry, as there are few absolutes in this industry. And as a result, debates over preferences are common. We hope you use this forum to share and exchange ideas and not to win arguments. It is the bigger man that agrees to disagree without being disagreeable.

And finally:

Please do not post any comments that are intentional personal attacks against other members. (Including, but not limited to, name calling, comments of a racial, religious or sexual nature.) Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

Just thought you might like a quick review.

Didn't see anything discouraging discussions on utility versus price; mil-spec versus non mil=spec; or brands.

I read quick, but generally with fairly good comprehension, my apologies if I missed something.

Let's not also forget that it is 2017 and $200 is not the same as it was in 1995 (or 1965 in your case ;)) How many people have $500+ cell phones on them? Nearly everyone...

1973, thank you. We lived in Oceanside, on South Pacific, 3121/2 I believe, it was a garage converted into a studio apartment. As close to the beach as you could get in that area. It took all of our BAQ plus some. The landlady walked in on us screwing one time. It was great. We were dirt poor and loved it, even the Marine part.

10MMGary
09-20-17, 14:43
Here you go man.

https://grabagun.com/colt-firearms-trooper-m4-carb-5-56mm-16.html

No dog in this fight as I own many AR 15's carbines pistols and one rifle from several manufacturers but at that price I would be all over that deal if I were in the market. I paid $599.99 for a complete 6933 upper alone.

nightchief
09-20-17, 15:08
OK, I did not consider the Trooper into the equation. Thanks for all the input. I'm really looking for a traditional M4 with the FSB. To get that in a Colt 6920, the best deal I can find is at CDNN $799

https://grabagun.com/colt-firearms-le6920-oem1-car-5-56-16-w-kit.html

Colt OEM 1 model is $695, if that meets your budget and needs.

JRHorne
09-20-17, 16:09
I'd buy this one.

https://www.gundeals.com/colt-le6920-magpul-mexico-marked-5-56-nato

10MMGary
09-20-17, 16:53
I'd buy this one.

https://www.gundeals.com/colt-le6920-magpul-mexico-marked-5-56-nato

For the win !!!!!

Jay H
09-20-17, 17:44
Yeah, I just found the Mexican marked 6920 (With carry handle) $699 on GB. You have to either be a Gold member $48 and get free shipping (Along with some trinkets) or pay $48 in shipping. Either way, this is what I've decided to do. That's a heck of a deal! Just the carry handle is $100.

jstalford
09-20-17, 17:53
The trooper for $699 is a better deal than the Mexican or oem1

Or ac15 really since it come with quality rail already installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRHorne
09-20-17, 18:33
The trooper for $699 is a better deal than the Mexican or oem1

Or ac15 really since it come with quality rail already installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said he wants a standard FSB, not a low pro like the Trooper. So his choice is still great considering it met all of his needs for the same price as the Trooper.

Plus he can buy a Trooper in a few months (maybe?) when he decides he NEEDS another AR!

Jay H
09-20-17, 21:34
I just placed my order for this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698903076

Stickman
09-20-17, 21:56
I'm about ready to jump on this. Any reason not too? The "Specs" look good to me. Aero seems to have a good reputation.

Upper Features
• Upper: Standard M4 Upper Receiver
• Barrel: 16" 5.56 NATO, Carbine Length, 1:7 Twist, 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium, QPQ finish, M4 Profile
• Sights: A2 Front Sight - REAR SIGHT NOT INCLUDED
• Handguard: Standard M4 Carbine Handguard with double heat shield
• Gas System: Carbine Length Gas System and A2 Pinned Front Sight Block
• Bolt Carrier Group: M16 Cut, 8620 Steel, Phosphated, Staked, Carpenter 158 Bolt, HP and MPI Tested
• Muzzle Device: Standard A2 Flash Hider
Lower Features
• Lower: Gen 2 Lower Receiver with flared magwell and upper tension screw
• Lower Parts Kit: Standard AR15 Lower Parts Kit
• Buffer Kit: Standard Mil-Spec AR15/M4 Buffer Kit
• Stock: Standard M4 Collapsable Stock
• Grip: Standard A2 Pistol Grip
• Magazine: NOT INCLUDED

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/aero-ac-15-complete-rifle.html

You could do much worse for $5 hundo.

JRHorne
09-21-17, 08:04
I just placed my order for this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698903076

Smart man. I would have grabbed one several months ago but the seller must have a business location here in NC so they wanted to charge me sales tax as well. Worked out for me though as I got the Trooper for about the same price as what I would have paid for El Colt.

Fuzzy-Reticle
09-21-17, 08:12
El Potro! Excelente elección señor.

Jay H
09-21-17, 08:31
El Potro! Excelente elección señor.

Thank You!

VIP3R 237
09-21-17, 09:51
I see the OP has already ordered the Colt, but that Aero is a fantastic deal and is well below dealer cost at $499. I've had a few Aero rifles and I have no complaints.

Jay H
09-21-17, 13:00
I see the OP has already ordered the Colt, but that Aero is a fantastic deal and is well below dealer cost at $499. I've had a few Aero rifles and I have no complaints.
Come on, you're making me rethink my choice. Well, not really but you're right, the price on that Aero is screaming Buy Me! I just couldn't pass up that Colt at $699, well actually $750 after the "Gold Member" thing. I was just really attracted to the fact that it came with the carry handle. I love the classic looks and I like to shoot with the irons. The unusual markings and story behind them were a plus for me also.

JRHorne
09-21-17, 14:14
Come on, you're making me rethink my choice. Well, not really but you're right, the price on that Aero is screaming Buy Me! I just couldn't pass up that Colt at $699, well actually $750 after the "Gold Member" thing. I was just really attracted to the fact that it came with the carry handle. I love the classic looks and I like to shoot with the irons. The unusual markings and story behind them were a plus for me also.

Have no regrets. You made the right choice.