PDA

View Full Version : Best BackUp Bolt Cam Pin to Keep as Backup

PattonWasRight
09-21-17, 10:41
Seems like these are cast parts, does anyone know of machined cam pin, or perhaps one that's coated?

Want to have something tougher than usual mil spec, and keep a few of these on hand

sgtrock82
09-21-17, 11:59
A BCM mil spec cam pin is a whopping $4.95. I doubt if anyone is carving theses from unicorn horn yet but I think a couple of these on hand is more than sufficient. I try to have 2 or 3 spares myself and replace them when the ridge they tend to develop starts to really bug me.

AndyLate
09-21-17, 12:01
Pretty sure cam pins are not cast. BCM, Sionics and Colt are all safe bets.

Andy

P.S. Shipping will be higher than the cam pin cost, so its a good opportunity to pick up other spare parts like gas rings, ejector springs, action springs, firing pin, etc.

PattonWasRight
09-21-17, 12:07
Thanks. What makes the above cam pins better than the rest of the herd? It's a common wear / fail part, so looking for something more to offer.

Coatings? Roller top? Haven't seen any comprehensive high round function / wear / torture tests, hoping someone has done some testing of their own.

lahunter57
09-21-17, 12:12
Thanks. What makes the above cam pins better than the rest of the herd? It's a common wear / fail part, so looking for something more to offer.

Coatings? Roller top? Haven't seen any comprehensive high round function / wear / torture tests, hoping someone has done some testing of their own.

They come from companies known to produce quality components.

I think you'd be better off with replacing the pin at regular intervals than trying to get fancy with unproven designs or ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MistWolf
09-21-17, 12:15
The best backup bolt cam pin is the one you keep with your spare BCG

lahunter57
09-21-17, 12:18

Good point. You should be looking at purchasing a whole spare BCG rather than just having a spare cam pin. That is unless you already have a spare BCG.

Curious, what kind of rifle are you trying to upgrade with a new cam pin?

jstalford
09-21-17, 12:54

Best spare BCG is the one you keep with your spare rafle.

Doc Safari
09-21-17, 12:57
Best spare BCG is the one you keep with your spare rafle.

Best spare BCG is the one you keep in your spare rifle next to your other spare rifles.

PattonWasRight
09-21-17, 13:11
LoL ... no shortage of spares for spares is the best approach

Don't have a spare BCG, but point taken

Just looking to upgrade my humble SW MP Sport II with more robust "consumable" items ... the cam pin comes to mind first

lahunter57
09-21-17, 13:20

Just looking to upgrade my humble SW MP Sport II with more robust "consumable" items ... the cam pin comes to mind first

Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to find a special cam pin. Purchase a few spares from the above mentioned companies if you're really worried about it and rock on. Then start looking at getting additional spare parts like extractors, springs, firing pins, BCG...

PattonWasRight
09-21-17, 13:33
Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to find a special cam pin. Purchase a few spares from the above mentioned companies if you're really worried about it and rock on. Then start looking at getting additional spare parts like extractors, springs, firing pins, BCG...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Yep, you guys have convinced me ... no reason to over-complicate this

AndyLate
09-21-17, 16:39
You could also pick up a bolt carrier group (BCG), install it and keep your S&W BCG as a spare.

Brownells lists Colt BCGs at $230, Daniel Defense at $185, and BCM at $170 - all parkerized (approximate prices).

Sionics lists their NP3 BCG at $190 and their parkerized at $130.

Monmouth Reloading sells a Toolcraft BCG with a nitride finish for $75.

The toolcraft is the closest to your current BCG, quality-wise. The others listed are superior, IMO and are all great choices.

Andy

P.S. Prices are approximate.

hdrolling
09-21-17, 18:51

The BCG in my sport II is one of the better parts of the rifle, the trigger was cheap and had to go and the bird cage muzzle device started to pit and I replaced that. Get a spare if you want but don't be surprised if that spare turns into another rifle.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-21-17, 21:50
I used to carry a bunch of spare parts for my rifle in case it went down but after a lot of real world training I found it was substantially quicker to just transition to my 93R in the event my rifle goes down.

jpmuscle
09-22-17, 01:16
I used to carry a bunch of spare parts for my rifle in case it went down but after a lot of real world training I found it was substantially quicker to just transition to my 93R in the event my rifle goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI see what you did there. Roflz

FTT would be proud

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
09-22-17, 05:26
I see what you did there. Roflz

FTT would be proud

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lawlz

Eurodriver
09-22-17, 06:47
Howdy,

I too keep a 93R for quick deployment. This served me well in the jungles of South Antarctica. A 93R is much easier to shoot while rappelling from a Bell Jetranger than an AR15. Most people don't understand that because they are not qualified to perform such missions but Gecko45 would back me up. I know his mall security uses Bell Jetrangers to insert into DZs. HTH

FWIW, I always bring all of my rifles whenever I go to any sort of match but if it's just the range then no. I have never brought a spare BCG I because I don't have one that isn't already in a rifle.

Feline
09-22-17, 08:28
I modified my stock to fit a spare BCG, in case of failure.

lahunter57
09-22-17, 08:43
I typically carry along my armorers bench and reloading equipment if I know I'm going into a hot zone. I can fix any problem with my weapon and work up a high casualty producing cartridge tailored for the situation. Some say "that's cumbersome!", but they don't have as much experience in the neighborhood watch group as I do. I've seen things!

PattonWasRight
09-22-17, 09:08
Howdy,

I too keep a 93R for quick deployment. This served me well in the jungles of South Antarctica. A 93R is much easier to shoot while rappelling from a Bell Jetranger than an AR15. Most people don't understand that because they are not qualified to perform such missions but Gecko45 would back me up. I know his mall security uses Bell Jetrangers to insert into DZs. HTH

LoL! A well painted picture of the realities of combat!

QB Too
09-22-17, 12:05
Best spare BCG is the one you keep in your spare rifle next to your other spare rifles.

Oh nooooooooooooo!!!! I only have one spare ...........this post proves that I need to at least buy that 18" rifle length I've been eyeing :D

PattonWasRight
10-02-17, 09:27
Wound up getting 2 WMD Guns NiB-X Nickel Boron Cam Pins, and a spare parts kit as well. I feel better now. From the reviews I read the WMDs are a tighter fit by design, and may not work in every BCG, we'll see.

26 Inf
10-02-17, 12:10
What are the general experiences with cam pin failures? I ask because I've never seen one actually fail.

I've seen a couple bolts break at the cam pin hole, I imagine that cam pin wear has a roll in some instances where the bolt fails.

I just cleaned one of my rifles, I can barely catch a fingernail on the cam pin. Think I might replace it with the thought of saving the bolt.

PattonWasRight
10-02-17, 15:03
What are the general experiences with cam pin failures? I ask because I've never seen one actually fail.

I've seen a couple bolts break at the cam pin hole, I imagine that cam pin wear has a roll in some instances where the bolt fails.

I just cleaned one of my rifles, I can barely catch a fingernail on the cam pin. Think I might replace it with the thought of saving the bolt. You're okay then. The AK Operator guy had some failure of this part during his 5k round abuse tests. He does a lot of mag dumps in those, just fyi. From what I've read more people replace these than wait for actual failures, so you may be right as there's not a lot of data points. When that ridge becomes pronounced, it's time to replace most think. I'll do the same as it seems reasonable to expect that as the cam pin wears, the bolt and extractor take more of a beating. Same reason I use synthetic oil but change it at 5k and not 7.5k like the manual says.

tehpwnag3
10-03-17, 13:36
I assume this is because they use a "mil-spec" pin and add coating thereby expanding the dims slightly. I wonder how the NiB-X holds up to the hammering this part takes. Please keep us posted when you know more.

Wound up getting 2 WMD Guns NiB-X Nickel Boron Cam Pins, and a spare parts kit as well. I feel better now. From the reviews I read the WMDs are a tighter fit by design, and may not work in every BCG, we'll see.

CCK
10-03-17, 13:42
so I have a pws and I know the general consensus of piston ar's around here, but I replaced mine with a pof rolling cam pin as I had seen secondhand damage done to inside of receiver predominately on piston guns.

PattonWasRight
10-03-17, 13:58
I assume this is because they use a "mil-spec" pin and add coating thereby expanding the dims slightly. I wonder how the NiB-X holds up to the hammering this part takes. Please keep us posted when you know more. Yep, will do. It does say they are machined, so hopefully they accomodate the coating ... the feedback I read was very old, so hopefully corrected by now. $10 part, so what the heck. I'll holler when I drop in my SW M&P Sport II ... see how it fits and moves in the bolt.

PattonWasRight
10-10-17, 21:07
Update ... Recv'd this http://www.primaryarms.com/wmd-guns-nib-x-nickel-boron-cam-pin-for-ar-15-nibxcp

This looks & feels as a definite higher notch in quality ... it's a machined part and the coating and overall surface is very smooth, very even, and with lube on it, slick as hell

Dropped right into my SW MP Sport ... no oversize issue

I'll monitor the wear, but overall, seems like a $10 no brainer / more peace of mind

SteveS
10-15-17, 18:55
Howdy,

FWIW, I always bring all of my rifles whenever I go to any sort of match but if it's just the range then no. I have never brought a spare BCG I because I don't have one that isn't already in a rifle.I went for a ride in a Bell Jet Ranger once am I qualified?

10-16-17, 09:03
Howdy,

FWIW, I always bring all of my rifles whenever I go to any sort of match but if it's just the range then no. I have never brought a spare BCG I because I don't have one that isn't already in a rifle.

I carried the 93r on my last Antarctic jungle rotation. Like any real operator, I only use KY for lube (because harbor seals endorse it), but I found the 93R to be unreliable in these circumstances, so I would usually S-3 operate in operations with two 93R's and a giant Rambo knife. This setup worked well whenever I had to fight tigers, even though just kicking them in the face usually worked, too.

I don't own a spare cam pin, but I have a couple spare bolts. I buy a new cam pin when the one in the gun is worn and don't really sweat it, because I don't think I've ever seen one break. I should probably check mine on the next deep clean.

I wonder if worn cam pins/cam pin slots contribute to that gouge that upper receivers get?

5.56 Bonded SP
10-16-17, 09:15
I keep a spare cam pin, and gas rings inside my pistol grips. They are super cheap at my LGS.
I also keep a little packet of lube inside the pistol grip :) Never needed those things, and the motor oil I use in my bolts never seems to dry up, but it gives me peace of mind always having them with the gun. At some point I'll toss spare bolts in the pistol grips as well.