PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 46 - G19 sized 9mm with rotating barrel

kaltesherz
09-23-17, 23:21
Looks like Glock has a new 19 sized pistol that has a rotating barrel. From what I've been able to gather it's to meet a new German Police requirement of being able to be stripped without pulling the trigger, but the barrel looks to have a lower bore axis (like an Arsenal Strike One).

Here's a German magazine article on Gen 5's and starting on page 7 info on the 46.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hAva_yxlzPZnh0QXNCdk5rckk/view

call_me_ski
09-24-17, 01:07
I want one. If for no other reason than science.

Where the **** are the 44 and 45 though...

kaltesherz
09-24-17, 01:09
I want one. If for no other reason than science.

Where the **** are the 44 and 45 though...

My guess is the MHS in 9mm and .40

call_me_ski
09-24-17, 01:11
Very possible. They did re brand the M series the gen 5 when they brought it to the market. It would make sense that they re brand the MHS as well. There is enough different to warrant the new number designation.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-24-17, 01:13
WOW! BTF finally fixed!!!

Germans! Please translate!

JulyAZ
09-24-17, 02:53
I can't read German, maybe somebody could help:

What's the deal with the back plate? And why a rotating barrel?

Coal Dragger
09-24-17, 04:46

For some reason I doubt this pistol will be forthcoming to the public. Bavarian Police want a pistol that can strip without pulling trigger. This is Glock's entrant to that bid.

Maybe it will show up, but the advantages or disadvantages vs a Glock 19 are unknown. Given Glock's recent history with new models, not sure I'd want to be a beta tester for that or not.

M Sadler
09-24-17, 08:40
The American market probably wont be happy with this handgun except for its novelty. Rotating barrel designs don't tilt to accommodate feeding. My initial guess is that this pistol wont be to friendly to anything but ball ammunition.

The redesign and operation of the firing pin safety and a second plunger at the right of the slide has got my attention.

There's also what looks like a pin to depress said plunger installed in the frame.

With the slide lock gone, its hard to see what is being used to retain the slide.

All that... I want one.

Screwball
09-24-17, 09:03
The American market probably wont be happy with this handgun except for its novelty. Rotating barrel designs don't tilt to accommodate feeding. My initial guess is that this pistol wont be to friendly to anything but ball ammunition.

My Beretta PX4 never had such an issue... nor have I seen anyone really point out those problems since 2004. If it was a hard issue to design around, likely would have heard something about it by now.

With the slide lock gone, its hard to see what is being used to retain the slide.

I would guess the barrel locks up to the frame and slide when in battery, moves backwards under recoil, then unlocks from frame and slide.

I would think to strip the slide, lock it back, rotate the barrel past a detent, release the slide and it all goes forward off frame. I would say likely like older Browning pistol designs.

Unsure if I’d want one. If it’s 19 size, does it take 19 magazines? Fit in 19 holsters? Sights? I’d have to know all that before I’d even consider it...

The rotating barrel should soak up some recoil, but my current Glock at the moment is a 30S... which pretty much is a .45 19. No issue with the standard design and that caliber, so I don’t have an issue with it in 9mm. I’d be interested if it fits some of the holsters I already have, but it would definitely be a purchase when I have nothing else to buy, but still want a new gun.

kaltesherz
09-24-17, 09:25
With a lower bore axis (looks almost like a HK P7 from the front) I'd think it would have faster follow up shots.

The backplate is appears to be how they decock without pulling the trigger.

mbinky
09-24-17, 09:59
Now that is an odd duck.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-24-17, 10:01
All I want is all those barely used P7s

PatrioticDisorder
09-24-17, 10:20

Besides the plethora of YouTube review videos of the Gen5s in both 17 & 19 showing no BTF, anectodally i put 300 rounds through mine with a 10 year old that had never shot a gun before, I experienced consistent ejection, no BTF. My Gen4 19 needed an apex extractor to stop BTF, my 26 Gen4 still BTFs with most range ammo and my 21 Gen4 BTFs with some range ammo as well (17 Gen4 & G43 have never given me BTF). At this point, I'd buy a Gen5 with confidence, if for no other reason that Glock seeks to have fixed the BTF issue with the Gen5s (I'd be curious to learn if Glock tweaked the extractor and/or ejector).

carolvs
09-24-17, 11:47
US Patents have been filed.

http://www.recoilweb.com/brand-new-shiny-glock-46-129623.html

PLCedeno
09-24-17, 13:02
Is it my old eyes, but the does the front of the frame look beveled? If so, i would not smile if in a few months Glock bevels the Gen5's after i get one as current.

hotrodder636
09-24-17, 14:12
Sure looks to me like the beveled the leading edge of the frame.

Is it my old eyes, but the does the front of the frame look beveled? If so, i would not smile if in a few months Glock bevels the Gen5's after i get one as current.

556BlackRifle
09-24-17, 15:30
Sure looks to me like the beveled the leading edge of the frame.

I noticed that as well.

Kain
09-24-17, 16:07
All I want is all those barely used P7s

No!!! You can't have them. I need them in my collection!!!!!!

DirectTo
09-24-17, 16:24
The Gen 5 looks idiotic not being beveled - like the owner stuck too short of a slide on it. Just laziness from big G.

Cold/Bore
09-24-17, 16:27
Looks neat. If it works, great. I would rather not have to pull the trigger to disassemble my pistol. I'm pretty paranoid about about dry firing before disassembly, but I think that's a good thing. Getting too comfortable with a firearm probably leads to more ND's. So perhaps I'm better off with my G19?

Buckaroo
09-24-17, 18:17
Had a fella just this week shoot himself in the leg while disassembling what I assume was a Glock.
http://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/police-man-seriously-wounded-when-gun-he-was-disassembling-accidentally/article_c9d68fe9-51f9-5269-9cc0-eb95a1e7f70e.html
"Police said the man was in a truck parked in the 1000 block of East Center Street around 10:15 a.m. when he decided to disassemble a .45-caliber pistol. The gun had a round in the chamber and while the man was taking the firearm apart it discharged, wounding him in the leg, police said."

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cold/Bore
09-24-17, 18:22
Had a fella just this week shoot himself in the leg while disassembling what I assume was a Glock.
http://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/police-man-seriously-wounded-when-gun-he-was-disassembling-accidentally/article_c9d68fe9-51f9-5269-9cc0-eb95a1e7f70e.html
"Police said the man was in a truck parked in the 1000 block of East Center Street around 10:15 a.m. when he decided to disassemble a .45-caliber pistol. The gun had a round in the chamber and while the man was taking the firearm apart it discharged, wounding him in the leg, police said."

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can never be too careful!

amd5007
09-24-17, 19:02

I can always be proven wrong, but your suggestion, that the tilting barrel design better accommodates the feeding cycle, is baseless. There are and have been a plethora of handgun designs where the barrel is fixed or maintains its horizontal alignment and they do not suffer from feeding issues: the P-08, P38, Beretta 92, not to mention P7s and PX4s. And that's only talking handguns. I don't know of any short recoil locked breech tilting barrel sub guns.

montrala
09-26-17, 06:20
Looks like Glock has a new 19 sized pistol that has a rotating barrel ... to meet a new German Police requirement of being able to be stripped without pulling the trigger

It eludes me how it is necessary to go from perfected ("Glock Perfection") Browning tilting barrel design to (usually) troublesome rotating barrel just to be able to strip pistol without pulling the trigger.

I just stripped my polymer framed, striker fired, tilting barrel pistol without pulling the trigger.

Just mine (sarcastic) 0.03zł ;)

hotrodder636
09-26-17, 10:12
VP9? LOL

It eludes me how it is necessary to go from perfected ("Glock Perfection") Browning tilting barrel design to (usually) troublesome rotating barrel just to be able to strip pistol without pulling the trigger.

I just stripped my polymer framed, striker fired, tilting barrel pistol without pulling the trigger.

Just mine (sarcastic) 0.03zł ;)

Yeah, I can't think of many/any rotating barrel designs that stick in my mind.

tn1911
09-26-17, 11:15
VP9? LOL

Beretta makes a bunch

platoonDaddy
09-26-17, 14:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRrUf8NJKZY&feature=youtu.be

Sam
09-26-17, 14:26
VP9? LOL

Are you kidding or being sarcastic? Like another member already said, Beretta make rotating barrel pistols in their PX4 system.

Imitation is the most sincere form of forgery.

Coal Dragger
09-26-17, 15:16
Don't forget the glorious Colt 2000.

titsonritz
09-26-17, 15:28
In addition Beretta here a some other rotating barrel pistols...

Stoeger cougar
Colt 2000
Grand Power K100/P1
Boberg XR9
Hell JMB made one in 1897 (http://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-automatic-pistols/browning-1897-rotating-barrel-pistol/)

Not a new concept for sure.

Alaskapopo
09-26-17, 15:41
amd5007 not true. I used to own a Beretta Cougar in 40sw with a rotating barrel. Feeding was fine. Was not that accurate by comparision with other guns I owned in the caliber back then but it was reliable with hollow points of all makes.

platoonDaddy
09-26-17, 19:53
Is this the 1st striker fired handgun with rotating barrel?

EDIT: Disregard, should have done a google 1st. Beretta APX was striker fired.

FlyingHunter
09-26-17, 20:09
Wait, this is not the long awaited Glock Carbine?

call_me_ski
09-26-17, 20:13
The Beretta APX actually abandons the rotating barrel of the PX4 and cougar for a more conventional browsing tilting barrel.

In mondern times Grand power release the Q100 a couple years back. However the Austrians were the first to develope a striker fired rotating barrel gun back in 1900.

Steyr-Roth M1907:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roth–Steyr_M1907

T2C
09-26-17, 20:21
My Glock 19's functioned well for tens of thousands of rounds with the current design sold in the U.S. Unless we can expect target pistol accuracy with the rotating barrel, I see no market for the Glock 46 in the U.S.

GJM
09-26-17, 22:38
My Glock 19's functioned well for tens of thousands of rounds with the current design sold in the U.S. Unless we can expect target pistol accuracy with the rotating barrel, I see no market for the Glock 46 in the U.S.

In the US there appears to be demand for anything Glock.

hotrodder636
09-27-17, 00:08
Neither. I really had zero interest in the PX4 and don't know much about it. I was not saying there aren't any rotating barrel pistols, just that none are all that memorable for me.

Are you kidding or being sarcastic? Like another member already said, Beretta make rotating barrel pistols in their PX4 system.

Imitation is the most sincere form of forgery.

Sam
09-27-17, 05:53
Got it, thanks hotrodder.

montrala
09-27-17, 10:43
I was not saying there aren't any rotating barrel pistols, just that none are all that memorable for me.

There is a reason for that. They somehow seem not to do anything better than Browning tilting barrel lock works and usually they actually perform much worse. For example GP K100 was universal disaster for everyone I know who owned it. Arsenal Strike One was supposed to be end of all pistols, but was rejected by Russia as totally unreliable. Beretta P4X while nothing dramatic about it, did not exactly conquer the market. Beretta dropped rotating barrel in sub-compact version.

BTW Is kind of funny that Glock basically patented post WW1 CZ 22/24/28. I know that Nickl patents expired, but still... ;)

platoonDaddy
09-27-17, 15:16
Any intel on why glock designed the 46 for the German police trials?

MegademiC
09-27-17, 21:18

The trial qualifications specifically request a more perfecter handgun than what's currently available.

bear13
09-28-17, 15:50
The rotating barrel leads to a very flat shooting gun. I am not saying one is more reliable then the other. Just a fact that they shoot flat as hell.

I want the g46 frame with the gen 5 upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaskapopo
09-28-17, 15:56
Bear13 why is that? I would figure flat shooting would have more to do with the bore axis height over your hand.

titsonritz
09-28-17, 16:37

They mentioned wanting to be able to disassemble the pistol without pulling the trigger first.

bear13
09-28-17, 17:48
Bear13 why is that? I would figure flat shooting would have more to do with the bore axis height over your hand.

Normally that is true. But my px4cc is one of the flattest shooting guns I own. It has do with how the barrel rotates vs cams up and down. Like in a traditional set up the barrel kicks up and down when cycling so the force moves in that direction. Vs if you watch how a px4 works the barrel cams up and to the side. I know it sounds screwy but it works.

So I imagine having that plus the low bore axis of a Glock should make for a very flat fast gun

carolvs
09-28-17, 18:42
So I imagine having that plus the low bore axis of a Glock should make for a very flat fast gun

Depending on how much difference it makes, the 46 could be the basis for a new breed of competition Glocks.

bear13
09-28-17, 18:46
Depending on how much difference it makes, the 46 could be the basis for a new breed of competition Glocks.

Man, with like a 34. That would be scary.

mig1nc
09-29-17, 07:00
I just sold a Grand Power. The thing shot like a dream, but it was picky as hell about ammo and lube. Not to mention environmental contaminants.

No joke, best shooting pistol I've ever shot. But I just couldn't be confident after all the issues I had. Even sent it back for a warranty work-over. It didn't help much.

To be honest, I'm kind of soured on the rotating barrel thing after buying into the Grand Power hype.

Maybe Glock can get it right.

bear13
09-29-17, 07:50
I just sold a Grand Power. The thing shot like a dream, but it was picky as hell about ammo and lube. Not to mention environmental contaminants.

No joke, best shooting pistol I've ever shot. But I just couldn't be confident after all the issues I had. Even sent it back for a warranty work-over. It didn't help much.

To be honest, I'm kind of soured on the rotating barrel thing after buying into the Grand Power hype.

Maybe Glock can get it right.

How many pistols use a browning style lockup? How many of them are garbage? Do you blame browning or the manufacturer that put it together? There are tons of px4s with a shit load of rounds through them. I do not think it is fair to knock a operating system because of a bad experience. Esp from a completely different manufacturer.

mig1nc
09-29-17, 13:24
How many pistols use a browning style lockup? How many of them are garbage? Do you blame browning or the manufacturer that put it together? There are tons of px4s with a shit load of rounds through them. I do not think it is fair to knock a operating system because of a bad experience. Esp from a completely different manufacturer.

You're probably right, but I'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

bear13
09-29-17, 13:34
You're probably right, but I'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

We may never even see them. Also the Germans probably would not select a pos for their service pistol.

Talon167
09-29-17, 18:16
This was probably mentioned, but if they're trying to patent the rotating barrel it better be quite different than Beretta's.

Ballistic Agency
10-07-17, 15:25
You have to ask yourself, who asked for this change? Glock wouldn't just abandon their tested design to try something new.

What spec were they trying to meet that their current design wouldn't meet? Accuracy? Reliability? Durability? Barrel life? Something else? I have so many questions.