PDA

View Full Version : The new Ruger AR-556 MPR is quite nice

heavygunner8
09-26-17, 21:11
I just picked this up today. 18 in CHF 5R rifling barrel, 15" FF handguard, rifle length gas, magpul backup sights and furniture, also got a sweet 2 stage 4.5 lb trigger.

https://i.imgur.com/LHXOkR1.jpg

hickuleas
09-26-17, 21:29
Did your rifle come from Ruger with sights ? Thought they were shipped without sights.

heavygunner8
09-26-17, 21:47
I installed those myself

tucsondirt
09-26-17, 22:12
That's nice! Do you know who makes the ff rail?

heavygunner8
09-26-17, 22:45
That's nice! Do you know who makes the ff rail? Ruger. Other than the MBUS set, that's fresh out of the box.

Kdubya
09-26-17, 23:04
On paper it looks like it could be a pretty solid rifle. Especially for the price some places have them going for. I'll be interested to hear a range report.

Oh, and ib4 the feral cats come in and p*** all over your thread.

OrbitalE
09-26-17, 23:22
It's a factory rifle pretty much how 3G competitors set their guns up. As a factory offering, that's great. A bit late to the market I think, but nonetheless bravo for making a product that people have asked for.

heavygunner8
09-26-17, 23:45
I also bought the Colt Trooper M4 earlier this week.

So after field stripping both guns and comparing them, I can see why this forum heavily favors the Colt. Just by looking at the BCG and the castle nut, I can see Colt built their guns to a higher standard. The castle nut is staked on the colt, and the gas key is staked better than the MPR. I'm not saying the MPR is a bad gun, for the price I paid for it and the fact is a semi auto civilian rifle, it's a great value. But just saying, I'm starting to see the light!

Paladinius
09-27-17, 11:00
How about side by side pics of the staking? Complete Ruger BCG pic?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feline
09-27-17, 12:37
I also bought the Colt Trooper M4 earlier this week.

So after field stripping both guns and comparing them, I can see why this forum heavily favors the Colt. Just by looking at the BCG and the castle nut, I can see Colt built their guns to a higher standard. The castle nut is staked on the colt, and the gas key is staked better than the MPR. I'm not saying the MPR is a bad gun, for the price I paid for it and the fact is a semi auto civilian rifle, it's a great value. But just saying, I'm starting to see the light!

Both nice ARs, but only one is ready for the sandbox.

hollowpoint2003
09-27-17, 16:37
The real question for me...what will that Ruger barrel do? Go ring it out and report back. For that cheap, a man can always drop a Toolcraft BCG in it to upgrade, and then go about your business.

26 Inf
09-27-17, 17:11
Both nice ARs, but only one is ready for the sandbox.

Like I said in another, earlier, thread: the .mil will give you one of theirs to use, either a Colt or FN, I'd imagine.

Feline
09-27-17, 17:18
Like I said in another, earlier, thread: the .mil will give you one of theirs to use, either a Colt or FN, I'd imagine.

Sounds great!

titsonritz
09-27-17, 17:41
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?199928-Ruger-gets-serious-about-the-AR-market

titsonritz
09-27-17, 17:51
Damn double post

Tokarev
10-17-17, 16:56
So how's it shoot?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

heavygunner8
10-17-17, 17:25
So how's it shoot?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I put in a toolcraft nib BCG, it shoots well, low recoil and accurate as expected. No issues.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-17-17, 20:25
I don't own one. However I am a big fan of rifle length gas systems, especially on an 18'' gun.
I may buy one of these one day.. Would rather own the FN version that uses Milspec parts, but those cost at least 1500$ even with discount.
I have one 18'' rifle length gas that I built, and it is very nice to shoot. Very low smooth recoil impulse.

Tokarev
04-20-21, 07:36
Ruger is getting "serious" with the AR, finally.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8542.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dqmmG3XA4

ABNAK
04-20-21, 08:45
Holy necro-post Batman!

Yeah, from looking at Ruger's own specs it appears that it has a non-lined, not even nitrided barrel. "Black oxide" is the only thing they mention. That isn't getting "serious".

Tokarev
04-20-21, 08:56
Holy necro-post Batman!

Yeah, from looking at Ruger's own specs it appears that it has a non-lined, not even nitrided barrel. "Black oxide" is the only thing they mention. That isn't getting "serious".Getting closer and closer to "serious" at least.

Do any of their current offerings have a nitride barrel? Some of the SR556 piston guns had chrome lined barrels but they discontinued those guns awhile ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

95fordfleetside
04-24-21, 19:57
I'll say Ruger's customer service stated its a "The AR-556 barrel has a melanite nitride treatment on the inside and a black oxide coating to provide corrosion resistance."

So it is lined its just not advertised very well, my sample of 1 did have a fsb pin that wasn't super tight, but didn't come out until I hit it intentionally with a punch, and the "genius" qd socket instead of a sling loop didnt fit a magpul push button disconnect. Other then that it has run through approximately 1.5k rounds, not a huge amount, but the only issue I've had was two failure to extract while shooting Tula, but I'm going to place the blame on the ammo rather then the gun. As far as small details: it has an insert and extractor o ring, the bcg is a modified semiauto bolt carrier, the rear lug isn't all the way cut back, but is shorter then a full auto carrier, and the firing pin gets chewed up from the shroud being cut short, I doubt it causes issues, but it does chowder the edge of the pin. It was fairly overgassed, it would cycle a springco blue with an h3 buffer shooting Steel case wolf, so a brt gas tube would probably be in order. I belive ruger states they do a HPT and MPI on the bolt that's mated to the barrel, so thats a solid plus, as far as staking it isn't the typical staking but it seems sufficient. Accuracy is good enough that I don't feel like the misses are the gun, say 1.5-3 moa depending on the ammo, I know i have taken it out to 600 with a 1-6, and had ok results, the "medium" contour is pretty heavy, something like .9 to gas block and .750-.720 to muzzle. I didn't like the plastic delta "ring" that threads on and off, its a good idea in principle, but aluminim wouldn't have been much more and lateral knurling instead of the typical knurling on delta rings would have been nice, I replaced the handguard before long, and the barrel nut on my example was pretty snug. Other than the stated complaints I have enjoyed the gun through my smaller sample size of ammo. Oh and the mil spec style trigger was atrocious, felt very gritty and was 8-9lbs, not far outside of the specification i guess but not good, probably better then a trigger that came in an Armalite m15, but not by much.