PDA

View Full Version : Review: Transformers, Last Knight.

WillBrink
09-27-17, 12:30
It's a sad day when one of the great living actors, Sir Anthony Hopkins, is in a Transformers movie, but I digress. Like all Transformers movies, it's short on plot and character development and all about the action and seeing robots "transforming" into totally unlikely shit.

How they have been able to make an ongoing movie franchise from what was a lame cartoon I have no idea. Having said all that, I thought this was actually the best of the series: It's non stop action from minute one, a few decent one liners, some truly impressive visuals and CGI, and everything but the kitchen sink from every action movie you have ever seen thrown in. They don't even attempt to hide some of the rip offs from Star Wars. Like all Transformers movies, drags on a bit in spots and could have ended 20 mins or so sooner. But, I found this Transformers delivered good mindless fun if you don't take it too seriously, and that's all I expected from it. B-/C+

One Q I always have in these movies: a bunch of HSLD types constantly shooting at massive war robots that make an M1A1 tank look like a toy with their ARs knowing they will not do a thing. That's always been one of the major annoyances of these movies for me and I have to just ignore it to enjoy them at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm3djLYWB8

chuckman
09-27-17, 13:05
A man's gotta make a buck. I doubt Sir Anthony did this for critical acclaim.

I like the Transformers series; one of my favorite movie franchises which I am a little ashamed to say.

As for the SOF guys; it is my understanding that series employs for-real former SOF guys. Just a little trivia.

https://undertheradar.military.com/2017/09/meet-real-special-ops-veterans-now-fight-imaginary-decepticons/

kwelz
09-27-17, 15:01
Apparently actors LOVE working with Abrams and that is why people like Sr Anthony Hopkins do his movies even with they are not going to be great movies.

I thought it was a fun stupid movie. I went to see it in theaters after a really crappy day and it was a good way to unwind.
To me the transformers movies are the perfect example of movies just for fun. They are not going to win any awards. They are not going to get critical acclaim. But damn if it doesn't feel good to see Optimus Prime cleave half a dozen other giant Robots in half with a single swipe.

chuckman
09-27-17, 15:08
I thought it was a fun stupid movie. I went to see it in theaters after a really crappy day and it was a good way to unwind.
To me the transformers movies are the perfect example of movies just for fun. They are not going to win any awards. They are not going to get critical acclaim. But damn if it doesn't feel good to see Optimus Prime cleave half a dozen other giant Robots in half with a single swipe.

Yes. I love these movies because I do not want to think, I want to be amused.

RazorBurn
09-27-17, 16:13
This one was worse then the previous. They should have ended it at "Dark of the Moon". Wasted my money at the theater while on vacation back in June to watch this. I knew it would suck because it has Marky Mark in it, and they've both lived up to that expectation. The past two have been like Mega Maid!!!

https://i.imgur.com/NCnRfK5.jpg

The kid and I really enjoyed the first three, but the past two have been :suicide:

WillBrink
09-27-17, 16:24
A man's gotta make a buck. I doubt Sir Anthony did this for critical acclaim.

I like the Transformers series; one of my favorite movie franchises which I am a little ashamed to say.

As for the SOF guys; it is my understanding that series employs for-real former SOF guys. Just a little trivia.

https://undertheradar.military.com/2017/09/meet-real-special-ops-veterans-now-fight-imaginary-decepticons/

Interesting you would say that. I noted in the movie last night to myself that it was obvious many of those guys either had training or they hired an advisor to make sure they looked like they had had training.

titsonritz
09-27-17, 18:09
At least Shia Labutthole isn't starring in them anymore, that's an improvement right there.

MountainRaven
09-27-17, 20:24
Apparently actors LOVE working with Abrams and that is why people like Sr Anthony Hopkins do his movies even with they are not going to be great movies.

Did you mean Bay?

kwelz
09-27-17, 20:29
Did you mean Bay?

Sorry yes. Remember something about it when Last Knight first came out. Would have to go back and find it though.

MegademiC
09-27-17, 22:06
Woah, transformers a "lame cartoon"?? I've lost all respect for you.

:jester:

I'm looking forward to watching it, I enjoyed all the rest. I grew up watching GIJoe and Transformers. Unfortunately GIJoe was pretty bad.

sjoliat
09-28-17, 17:14
We ponied up a LOT of money to go see it in 3D IMAX for my son's birthday.
Absolutely amazing cinematic experience.

Say what you will about the story line or how feasible it is/isn't, I am a fan of the series and enjoy it from the perspective of a forty-something guy that watched the cartoon too.
Will, had you said "HE-MAN" was lame, we could have a discussion. But not Transformers. Next thing I know you'll be ripping into Voltron..