PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Sight ratings on Amazon

yoni
09-28-17, 16:58
So I did a search for RDS on Amazon, was thinking of getting a Leopold this time around instead of a RMR. Talked to Cajun Gun works since they are going to do an action job on the pistol I thought why not have them mill the slide. They told me they have been getting better feed back on the Leopold currently over the RMR.

Imagine my surprise when I find on Amazon the Burris Fast Fire and the Vortex Venom both score half a star higher than the name brand more money big boys.

So now I don't know what RDS to buy for my P07 which will be used for EDC and local IPSC stye shooting.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

austinN4
09-28-17, 17:37
Imagine my surprise when I find on Amazon the Burris Fast Fire and the Vortex Venom both score half a star higher than the name brand more money big boys.

Just a guess since I don't know but I'll bet many more lower end models are sold and the people that buy them are not as critical and they think they are great; hence the high ratings. You know, sorta like the old Bushmaster vs Colt discussions here.

nate89
09-28-17, 17:40
Remember, Amazon ratings can be from every type of random person found on the internet. I would put more stock in the experience of people actually testing them.

DirectTo
09-28-17, 19:25
There was some big name milling company...I don't remember who unfortunately...that said the FF was the most durable one they saw.

But that, like Amazon, is all anecdotes with particular optics, guns, and usages. No matter which you go with you're still putting a piece of electronics on a violently cycling piece of machinery. Things will break.

everready73
09-28-17, 19:40
You can also find 20 sightmarks with better reviews probably. I wouldn't take Amazon reviews to seriously unless they are mostly all bad. The ff prob does what the people who buy it needs to, but the other two you are considering ate going to be more durable for sure

FlyingHunter
09-28-17, 20:15
I have an early Leupold Deltapoint Pro on a G19. It's been rock solid and 100% reliable. Only downside, the steel protective hood has a nice sheen of rust. It's a carry every wear gun, all weather, competition, farm, etc...Doesn't really bother me as I'm a function > looks guy and I can always send off for a cerakote job if desired.

Zirk208
09-28-17, 21:49
Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has compiled a nice paper on RDS on pistols, and in it he details out some of his findings over the last few years on the various RDS strengths/weaknesses. Worth the read and more info never hurts.

yoni
09-29-17, 06:22
Aaron Coman of Sage Dynamics has compiled a nice paper on RDS on pistols, and in it he details out some of his findings over the last few years on the various RDS strengths/weaknesses. Worth the read and more info never hurts.

Do you have a link?

markman
09-29-17, 07:48
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128_c8da57977a8c4b53903192fa603fce6f.pdf

Zirk208
09-29-17, 10:56

That's it.

WickedWillis
09-29-17, 11:12

Aaron really seems to be the SME when it comes to red dots on handguns and his videos and write-ups have helped me tons in my red dot process. However that deal that Cabela's has right now on the RMR01, should make your decision very easy on which optic to get.

26 Inf
09-29-17, 11:30
Aaron really seems to be the SME when it comes to red dots on handguns and his videos and write-ups have helped me tons in my red dot process. However that deal that Cabela's has right now on the RMR01, should make your decision very easy on which optic to get.

I am looking to get my first slide mounted red dot. Any ideas as to why the steep discount? New models coming out, etc.?

WickedWillis
09-29-17, 11:36
I am looking to get my first slide mounted red dot. Any ideas as to why the steep discount? New models coming out, etc.?

Clearing out the Gen 1's for the Gen 2's is my understanding of the price drops recently. The Gen 2's are already out also.

yoni
09-29-17, 12:57
Thanks!

Gen 1 RMR is on the way. At that price you can't go wrong.

tylerw02
09-29-17, 15:51
My Burris FF II battery cap comes loose all the time. It flew off one day. Spent an hour on me knees in the grass to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougwg
10-01-17, 09:01
The RMR is the best for pistol mounting by far.
Most of the other mrds are cheap pieces of crap that are only worth about $50 but because they charge $400-$500 (and that's less than an RMR) people think they're getting a deal.
They are in NO WAY of the same quality or durability of the RMR.
I have posted videos of me beating my RMR and I still carry it to this day. (Serial# 000181)
I haven't seen ANY videos of people beating ANY of the others.