PDA

View Full Version : Possible Glock Gen 5 crooked rear sight Issue?

Doc Safari
10-03-17, 11:06
Key word in the thread title is "possible". I'm not trying to suggest anything screwy with the new Glock Gen 5's, just fishing for information before I take the plunge and buy one.

I'm reading posts on other forums that a lot of Gen 5's are coming with rear sights off center. Not sure if it's just a need to re-zero once you get the pistol or if there's an actual issue with some guns having the necessity for off-center sights. Anybody got a Gen 5 with the rear sight obviously off-center yet the gun is sighted in properly?

(I know something like that wouldn't even bother a lot of people, but it bothers me).

Arik
10-03-17, 11:20
I saw two with sights off center the first day they came out. Don't know if that was just the initial run or what

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

turnburglar
10-03-17, 11:21
My ironically sarcastic reply is: no serious user should leave the plastic sights on their gun.

My blue label came with the steel night sights and they are duty grade.

Doc Safari
10-03-17, 11:23
My ironically sarcastic reply is: no serious user should leave the plastic sights on their gun.

My blue label came with the steel night sights and they are duty grade.

This is not a plastic vs. steel sight issue, though. We're asking if the Gen 5's have a tendency to require the rear sight be off-center for a proper zero, or if it's a non-issue.

jrb1975
10-03-17, 11:30
My Gen 5 19 came with the rear sight pushed way to the right. I centered it before my first range session and all is good. With the sight centered, the gun shoots true.

With all the reports of this issue, I would say it was a problem with calibration of the machine they were using when producing the gun. Strange they didn't catch it the QA cycle though.

Doc Safari
10-03-17, 11:33
My Gen 5 19 came with the rear sight pushed way to the right. I centered it before my first range session and all is good. With the sight centered, the gun shoots true.

With all the reports of this issue, I would say it was a problem with calibration of the machine they were using when producing the gun. Strange they didn't catch it the QA cycle though.

And it could just be an issue with rushing the guns into production: no real defect with the firearm just something that will work itself out as more units are produced. Most people replace the factory sights anyway, so if it's just a matter of the sighting jig being out of calibration and the gun itself being centered, then all is well.

That's why I want peoples' input.

grizzlyblake
10-03-17, 11:44
A Gen4 19 requires the rear to be off center in my experience.

Also in Kyle Defoor's experience.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/ee47362286e11c29068ee73f062c8afc.jpg

Doc Safari
10-03-17, 11:47
A Gen4 19 requires the rear to be off center in my experience.

Also in Kyle Defoor's experience.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/ee47362286e11c29068ee73f062c8afc.jpg

That one is not that far off-center, though. I think we're more concerned with the windage being maxed out.

Texaspoff
10-03-17, 11:56
Key word in the thread title is "possible". I'm not trying to suggest anything screwy with the new Glock Gen 5's, just fishing for information before I take the plunge and buy one.

I'm reading posts on other forums that a lot of Gen 5's are coming with rear sights off center. Not sure if it's just a need to re-zero once you get the pistol or if there's an actual issue with some guns having the necessity for off-center sights. Anybody got a Gen 5 with the rear sight obviously off-center yet the gun is sighted in properly?

(I know something like that wouldn't even bother a lot of people, but it bothers me).

It appears to be a QC issues at Glock rather than an issue with the pistols. I have a 5th Gen G19 that came with Ameriglo sights, and the rear was off center slightly. Centering it up was easy, and the pistol shoots POA/POI with them centered up.

I have seen several other 5th gen guns with the sights off as well, but no one has reported a problem with the pistols accuracy after the sights are centered. Other than a bother, there doesn't seem to be any problems. They shouldn't be leaving the factory this way, but it isn't a reason not to purchase one.

Here is what my 19.5 does with them centered, 7 and 12 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/EAtIFEC.jpg

TXPO

sundance435
10-03-17, 13:06
Probably something to do with rushing to get as many out the door as possible. I think I've only ever bought 2 new guns on which the sights were "off". One of them was a 3rd gen Glock. I don't consider it an "issue" if you can "fix" it with a plastic hammer and a piece of wood in 5 seconds. Frankly, I'm usually more surprised that sights are "on" when I buy a new gun, considering the variables in grip and sight alignment.

davidjinks
10-03-17, 16:36
My Gen 5 G19 with Ameriglos came from the factory with the rear sight just a hair to the right.

I'm completely okay with this because it saved me from adjusting it right myself.

At 25 yards POA is slightly right from POI which for me is okay as well.

Doc Safari
10-03-17, 16:39
I think we can discount the "just a hair" to one side pistols. For all I know my Gen 4 is that way (I prolly wouldn't notice unless it's grossly to one side).

HAS ANYBODY BOUGHT A GEN 5 GLOCK WITH THE REAR SIGHT "GROSSLY" TO ONE SIDE?

Kain
10-03-17, 16:41
Could this be Glock SWAGing that a lot of people shoot left with glocks so they pushed rears right to compensate?

Doc Safari
10-03-17, 16:46
Here's an illustration of what I'm asking about. Anybody have Gen 5 sights this far off (or nearly)?

And if your sight was this far off when you purchased the pistol, did you find that you had to leave it there to shoot POA, or did you find that the sight was in fact in the wrong place and the gun shot to point of aim when you centered the rear sight?

That is the issue here: Do a lot of Gen 5's seem to need the sight off to one side, or is that a minor hiccup at the Glock factory that goes away as soon as you center the rear sight or replace it with a centered rear sight?

nightchief
10-03-17, 19:41
I think we can discount the "just a hair" to one side pistols. For all I know my Gen 4 is that way (I prolly wouldn't notice unless it's grossly to one side).

HAS ANYBODY BOUGHT A GEN 5 GLOCK WITH THE REAR SIGHT "GROSSLY" TO ONE SIDE?

My G19 G5 came with the rear sight centered (or looks centered). It has the Ameriglo sights.

NC

Fordtough25
10-04-17, 19:22
My G19 G5 came with the rear sight centered (or looks centered). It has the Ameriglo sights.

NC

My gen5 game centered, with glock night sights. Did you center yours op?

HCM
10-04-17, 21:42
My 19.5 with Ameriglo (Orange front) sights came with sights centered and shoots centered.

My 17.5 with plastic sights came with the rear sight pushed all the way to the right and hit to the right. I centered the rear sight and is now shoots centered.

MountainRaven
10-04-17, 22:36
All the Gen5 Glocks that I've seen - three model 17s and six or seven model 19s - have appeared to have the rear sight in the middle of the dovetail. After Mrgunsandgear noted that his arrived with an off-center rear sight, I made sure to check.

JaegerOne
10-04-17, 23:50
It's Sig's fault.

9mmsteve
10-05-17, 08:28
I picked up my Gen5 17 on Monday. My plastic rear sight was pushed to the right enough that it did not look right at first glance from the top. I replaced it with an ameriglo all black rear sight and centered it correctly. With the Ameriglo rear sight the gun shot to the point of aim without issue. I put 240 rounds through it without issue. I also took my 17 Gen 4 out and put 170 rounds through it without issue. I like the Gen5 but I would not sell a Gen4 to buy one.

10-05-17, 19:59
I've put sights on three Gen5 19s. I don't remember where the stock sight was, but all three zeroed fine for me at 25 with the rear sight centered on the slide.

They have all needed a .235" tall front.

Doc Safari
10-06-17, 08:59
I've put sights on three Gen5 19s. I don't remember where the stock sight was, but all three zeroed fine for me at 25 with the rear sight centered on the slide.

They have all needed a .235" tall front.

For the uninitiated, is that an unusual sight height?

26 Inf
10-06-17, 10:27
Stock, up to this point has been .165.

Eurodriver
10-06-17, 16:21
I just bought a Gen5 19 and it didn’t have this issue.

10-07-17, 12:14
For the uninitiated, is that an unusual sight height?

With a .250" rear like Heinie, Warren, 10-8, etc, a .215" front has historically been the most commonly recommended front height on a 19.

tom12.7
10-07-17, 19:23
For as far back as I can remember, I've found out that it is not uncommon to require sight verification and adjustments for that properly for most any platform that does not have that said alignment tested for precision/accuracy prior to that for most any platform. It can be more comforting to see the sights closer to a mechanical or measured center as delivered, but I've found that point to be more muted knowing that adjustments are not abnormal at all.
For the OP though, some of these do appear worse on some of the gen 5 guns, but I have not seen this as being issue that can not be fixed with the same methods that get used anyway for one that appears correct without verifying that. It takes very minimal tools and expertise to verify and correct to a proper zero on these and most anything else. I recently used just less than 1/4 of the windage adjustment and more than a full rotation on the front sight on a new Colt 6920, but I see it as an operation to verify the alignment, not as an issue that it had not been previously tested on.

10-07-17, 21:38
Back when 6920s came with carry handles I unboxed one and shot a carbine match out to 200 yards with it. Dead on!

And yeah, I always bring a sight pusher with me the first few range trips to make sure I get my windage right.

ggammell
10-08-17, 06:50
Could this be Glock SWAGing that a lot of people shoot left with glocks so they pushed rears right to compensate?

Wouldn’t that actually exacerbate the problem? Pushing the rear sight to the right would increase the leftward point of impact.

Frailer
10-08-17, 10:37
Wouldn’t that actually exacerbate the problem? Pushing the rear sight to the right would increase the leftward point of impact.

No. You got that backward.

Doc Safari
10-10-17, 15:51
Here's a discussion of this subject on another board:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gen5-glocks-shooting-left.1677680/

HeruMew
10-13-17, 19:10
Thinking about front sight. Push those and they go opposite. Learned that the hard way today with a crossbow. Haha.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-13-17, 19:49
I have 2 gen4's right now. A g17, and g19.
G17 was blue label, came with metal night sights, it was sighted in when I bought it. The G19 was stock with plastic sights, the rear sight came pushed all the way to the left, which causes me to shoot left at distance ( No I am not jerking the trigger, it is just my g19 sights ). The G19 is fine for 25 yards and in, but past that the out of alignment sight causes problems for me.

Moral of the story, I don't expect any rifle or pistol to come sighted in from the factory, there are just too many variables. I have had a few guns come sighted in from factory, but 9 out of 10 are not.

CPM
10-13-17, 19:55
Uh, why don't you center the sight?

5.56 Bonded SP
10-13-17, 20:14
Uh, why don't you center the sight?

If you are talking to me..
The long answer is..
My G19 is a complete beater and I haven't cared enough to at this point, I might get it straightened one day, but not in the immediate future. I don't have a rear sight tool, and don't feel like spending money on it. If I ever have to use it for defensive purposes I wouldn't be taking a shot past 20 yards anyway... But my G19 isn't the gun that would be on my person if that situation arose.
That isn't the only problem my G19 has, something is out of spec on it and the trigger is really heavy, and no it isn't lack of lube in that vital spot... It was Cerakoted and something is up with the internals. I've already replaced parts, but I will have to let a gunsmith go over it one day. The thing is just beat up and in rough condition, including the slide and frame that are covered in deep scratches haha.

But one day, one day I will make that gun pretty again... Maybe hah
Always goes bang though, is relatively accurate, and never jams. So meh, whatever. I own a lot of guns, and spiffing up my G19 isn't high on the priority list. I can hit a 12'' steel plate with it at 25 yards consistently, so I'm really not worried about it.

GJM
10-13-17, 21:40
Rear sights off center is not exclusive to Glock. I have bought a number of HK pistols in the last year or two, and at least three had the rear or front sight off center. Matters not to me, as I adjust sights to my eyes and loads.

Frailer
10-13-17, 21:51
...I might get it straightened one day, but not in the immediate future. I don't have a rear sight tool, and don't feel like spending money on it...

For what it’s worth, you don’t need a rear sight tool...or any other tool (nor money) to adjust the stock plastic sight. The edge of your kitchen countertop will do just fine.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-13-17, 22:10
For what it’s worth, you don’t need a rear sight tool...or any other tool (nor money) to adjust the stock plastic sight. The edge of your kitchen countertop will do just fine.

Thank you, I did not know that. I will give that a shot when I get home!
Hopefully I don't break the plastic sight lol.

Doc Safari
10-16-17, 09:50
I saw two Gen 5 G17's at the LGS on Saturday. Both had the rear sight drifted to the right by maybe the thickness of a credit card. No big woop; I've owned many handguns with the sight drifted a tad to one side to that degree. One of those Glocks followed me home, so I'll be verifying the zero when I get time.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-16-17, 10:06
A problem I could see is if the rear sight is drifted right, right hand shooters might not realize they are jerking the trigger :/

HD1911
10-16-17, 10:45
The rear sight on my G19.5 I just bought on Saturday has the rear sight biased towards the right and guess what? It's dead nuts on for me. I am a right handed shooter. It's dialed in so well, and these are the plastic sights mind you, that steel plates at 59 yards don't stand a chance. I went 5 for 5 twice in a row on em yesterday. 147gr Lawman and HST, for what its worth.

Biggy
10-16-17, 11:11
On my Gen 5 G19, I lightly sanded the complete outer edge of the grip cutout, *just taking off the sharp edge*. I also put around a .060" wide by 45 degree chamfer or bevel on the *inner* edge of the cutout where the mag is inserted. It pretty much eliminates any chance of the mag hanging up on the front inside edge of the magwell .

davidjinks
10-30-17, 21:20
A follow up to this thread...

I picked up a Glock 17 Gen 5 this past weekend with Ameriglo sights.

Looking at the gun, rear to front, the front sight was canted quite a bit to the left. I ended up putting the slide on the edge of a table and rested the front sight on the ledge. A couple taps on the slide and the sight was straightened. I checked the screw to make sure it was still tight and so far everything is good to go.

One thing I did notice on this Glock was the amount of loctite (I'm guessing that's what they used) around the front sight and on top of the slide. I scrubbed the bejeezus out of it with a brush, rubbing alcohol and CLP. Got most of it off.

556BlackRifle
10-31-17, 02:13
My G19.5 rear sight was centered up. The others I looked at seemed okay as well. Tore my plastic sights off and installed CAPs.