PDA

View Full Version : American Made movie

elephant
10-03-17, 14:29
American Made, starring Tom Cruise as gun runner/drug smuggler Barry Seal, a TWA pilot who was contracted by the CIA in the late 1970s. Based on a true story. Overall it was a good film, lots of Reagan footage, takes place during the times of Contras, Sandinistas, Pablo Escobar, Jorge Ochoa and Manuel Noriega. Tom Cruise narrates the film and does have a lot of humor. It is definitely worth seeing.

Firefly
10-03-17, 15:45
See...that sounds interesting but Tom Cruise has too much ick factor behind him.

Meh, I'll wait to stream it.

If he hadn't gone on about Xenu'a'mighty for the last 20 years; he'd have so much more appeal.

Collateral was great amd during the Top Gun era he could have pulled in more tang than a cosmonaut.

I saw Days of Thunder in theatres as a kid because I liked race cars.

I may see it but not for 20 simolians

OH58D
10-03-17, 20:34
American Made, starring Tom Cruise as gun runner/drug smuggler Barry Seal, a TWA pilot who was contracted by the CIA in the late 1970s. Based on a true story. Overall it was a good film, lots of Reagan footage, takes place during the times of Contras, Sandinistas, Pablo Escobar, Jorge Ochoa and Manuel Noriega. Tom Cruise narrates the film and does have a lot of humor. It is definitely worth seeing.
I may have to go to town and see it. In 1984-1985, while in Honduras and parts south, I saw plenty of unmarked cargo aircraft bringing in thousands of crates containing about every type of modern or antique weapon imaginable.

SteyrAUG
10-03-17, 21:18
See...that sounds interesting but Tom Cruise has too much ick factor behind him.

Meh, I'll wait to stream it.

If he hadn't gone on about Xenu'a'mighty for the last 20 years; he'd have so much more appeal.

Collateral was great amd during the Top Gun era he could have pulled in more tang than a cosmonaut.

I saw Days of Thunder in theatres as a kid because I liked race cars.

I may see it but not for 20 simolians

Probably a great movie, and Cruise can still knock them out when he wants to, but as noted "the ick factor" will have me waiting for Netflix or a premium movie channel to see it. It's a shame, I watched "Rain Man" last month and remembered just how good Cruise can be on film. I wish scientology was just another quasi BS religion rather than a life destroying bizarre cult. I honestly feel sorry for anyone sucked into that nonsense.

AKDoug
10-03-17, 21:21
Looking at the trailers.. this seems like a good role for him and that stupid used car salesman smile.

I know a guy that did federal time for drug smuggling in his airplane. Quite a character and quite a pilot. He learned his lesson....I think.

JoshNC
10-03-17, 21:51
I saw it last night. It is fantastic. Cruise does a great job. It's a very entertaining story with great humor. Oh and gal that plays his wife is just white hot.

ramairthree
10-04-17, 01:53
He is one of those guys I am sure I would hate in real life, and I want to hate period.
Like marky mark, DiCaprio, etc.

And damn it, I repeatedly see them knock out some acting that I just have to take my hat off to.

Moose-Knuckle
10-04-17, 05:24
This is on my rent list.

Very interested in the back story of this film. Kind of a hobby of mine.

skywalkrNCSU
10-04-17, 07:18
Cruise might be a whacko but he kills it in this role, the guy can definitely act. Pretty good movie overall, I enjoyed it.

Rayrevolver
10-04-17, 07:40
The Socal FBO I worked at had a crazy incident with smuggling. We had a old C177 in for some maintenance. At some point when one of the wing skins was removed the shop found some "packages" wrapped in trash bags (or rubber like black covering). IIRC the airplane spent time in South America.

Not sure how much was found or how old the stuff was. The guys who showed up to pick it up looked like scraggly drug dealers and not guys in suits like we expected.

Yeah, this movie looks great but Cole Trickle has gone crazy. Gonna wait for it to hit netflix or hbo.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-04-17, 07:42
This is on my rent list.

Very interested in the back story of this film. Kind of a hobby of mine.

Smuggling drugs in airplanes?

Moose-Knuckle
10-04-17, 12:34

:lol:

Not so much, more like I read up on everything CIA especially their engagement in "illegal" activities. Visiting the CIA Museum is on my bucket list but it is not open to the public so I probably will never be able to scratch that itch.

elephant
10-04-17, 14:10
Im trying to compare American Made to Blow featuring the story of George Jung. Both Barry Seal and George Jung had similar roles in the transportation of white powder in the 1980s. Obviously the CIA is responsible for Seals death for leaking photos of him. I think Jung recently got released from prison. Not sure though.

Moose-Knuckle
10-08-17, 06:15
Im trying to compare American Made to Blow featuring the story of George Jung. Both Barry Seal and George Jung had similar roles in the transportation of white powder in the 1980s. Obviously the CIA is responsible for Seals death for leaking photos of him. I think Jung recently got released from prison. Not sure though.

In 1990 Mel Gibson and Robert Downing Jr. made a film called Air America, it was about the CIA dummy corporation by the same name that did this sort of thing in SE Asia during the Vietnam War.

If your interested in this subject matter research Garry Webb, a journalist who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head twice.

They made a movie about him as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4XO-52ubE

Outlander Systems
10-08-17, 09:13
Were Don Henry or Kevin Ives in the plot of the film?

Bulletdog
10-08-17, 11:30

You just made me blow milk out of my nose and back into my cereal...

The_War_Wagon
10-08-17, 11:53
Didn't Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. make this movie already - about 30 years ago?

Amicus
10-08-17, 12:32
I don't think you can tell the whole cold war air transport story in a movie, or even in a single book. Among the players were:

Flying Tiger Airlines: Founded by ex-AVG pilots from the China theater in WWII; later bought by FedEx. It had both civilian and military charter duties.

Civil Air Transport (CAT, a/k/a China Air Transport): Founded by Claire Chennault of the AVG. Performed numerous air supply duties (including at Dien Bien Phu) for decades.

Air America: Owned/controlled by the CIA, supposedly. Some say it was the partial successor to CAT, and some say had 6000 aircraft at one time, making it by far the largest airline in the world (the Wiki entry gives it '80+', but I call BS). I am pretty sure that no one really knows how large it was or everywhere it operated. Probably most famous for SE Asia operations using the Pilatus Porter STOL aircraft.

Moose-Knuckle
10-09-17, 04:13
Didn't Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. make this movie already - about 30 years ago?

Two posts above yours, #14.

Firefly
10-09-17, 04:28

"People always ask, 'is that an UZI?', why yes it IS an UZI. Self defense is no laughing matter."

RetroRevolver77
10-09-17, 10:07
Does the movie at least touch on the connection with the Mena Airport in Arkansas when Clinton was governor?