PDA

View Full Version : Does the charging bar flop back on you when shooting?

Mahoney223
10-04-17, 07:14
Hi all:
I'm experiencing an annoying problem with my AR. The charging handle flops back and out of lock at times ( too many times ) when the gun is fired.
It's easy to see what's going on. The upper has an indentation slot in it, into which a hook on the charging handle locks into to keep it in place. The spring on the charging handle ( which is a BCM ) seems to be OK. Also, the upper is an Aero Precision, so it's not some cheap upper. Also, the slot in the upper doesn't seem to be worn AND the gun only has a few hundred rounds through it.
I'd just like to know if this is common or if any of you experience the same thing with your ARs?

Thanks for replies

T2C
10-04-17, 07:56
The charging handle should not come loose while firing your AR. Either the charging handle is defective or the indentation on the upper receiver is cut incorrectly.

tehpwnag3
10-04-17, 08:26
This is definitely not good, and not common either. Check to make sure there is a 90 degree "inside corner" for the latch to grab onto. If this has been worn away, the upper is toast. A pic would be nice, if you are not sure.

Mahoney223
10-04-17, 08:30
Thanks for the replies. The "inside corner" of the catch slot is worn a little but not to the extent which it should be a problem. It would seem it's time to get a new charging handle.

twm134
10-04-17, 08:57
This happened to me with an upper that had about 8,000 rounds through it. The notch in the RRA upper was visibly worn. I switched the standard charging handle to a new one from BCM and the problem went away for the rest of the barrel life.

If this is happening after a couple hundred rounds something is out of spec. Do you have another charging handle you could try? If it still does it then it's likely the upper receiver.

Mahoney223
10-04-17, 09:29
Yeah, I do have another CH and will swap that out and see what happens. However, I think the problem may lie elsewhere. A little while ago I took out the buffer and replaced one of the weights with a heavier one with the idea that it would slow the action down a bit and soften the recoil. It may be that it's too much weight and is causing too much momentum with the BCG thereby having an effect on the charging handle.
I'll change that out first and see what happens at the range. If that doesn't work I'll swap out the CH at that time.
Fun & games.

tehpwnag3
10-04-17, 10:28
It is unlikely that a buffer swap is causing the issue unless the receiver and/or latch is very worn. You should be able to tell just by looking (and feeling) at how they interact. Pics of both would be helpful.

If the latch is not holding onto the receiver sufficiently, you should be able to pull on the non-latch side in order to see if the CH slips (unless it is ambi). If this is not reproducible in this way, check the latch spring. BCM CH springs feel pretty stout. Good luck.

Mahoney223
10-04-17, 10:39
tehpwnag3 - Thanks for your input.
I've tested the holding ability by doing as you said and it's holding plenty hard. And the hook spring on the CH seems to be OK - that is, not showing any signs of weakness.
I'll get to the bottom of this one way or the other. LOL

MistWolf
10-04-17, 11:34
Check to make sure the gas key isn't hitting the upper.

HeruMew
10-04-17, 13:33

Short of this being a common cause of this issue, if your charging handle turns out in spec, I have heard great results from the new Strike Industries and Blackhawk "Latchless" Charging Handles as the mechanism does not use the milled retaining slot on the upper at all.

Purely anecdotal and no hands on experience though.

YMMV, hope you find the source of the problem soon.

Stickman
10-04-17, 15:53
Try another known good handle in the suspect weapon, and try the suspect handle in another weapon. If the problem continues with the CH in the other weapon, you know the problem part. If the other CH continues to pop loose on your original weapon, you know the receiver is the issue.

MegademiC
10-04-17, 17:58

This, and look for wear inside the upper, on the ch, and on the carrier.

SavageBrew84
10-04-17, 21:16
Uncle Larry had this happening all over the place on his Comp m5 review. 1:08; 1:34; 2:03. Some of them might have been the same shots from different angles, but I'd never really seen or heard of that happening up until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZErrMTgTdb4

Mr. Goodtimes
10-04-17, 21:35
Yeah, I do have another CH and will swap that out and see what happens. However, I think the problem may lie elsewhere. A little while ago I took out the buffer and replaced one of the weights with a heavier one with the idea that it would slow the action down a bit and soften the recoil. It may be that it's too much weight and is causing too much momentum with the BCG thereby having an effect on the charging handle.
I'll change that out first and see what happens at the range. If that doesn't work I'll swap out the CH at that time.
Fun & games.

It’s not this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tehpwnag3
10-05-17, 14:35
The CH bouncing out like that or Larry shooting righty? ;)

but I'd never really seen or heard of that happening up until now.