PDA

View Full Version : Build or buy M4 clone?

beavis87
10-04-17, 23:44
I'm a soldier and armorer in the US Army and I've realized how little range time I get (probably cause i'm a pog), and its not like I don't want to go. Its just that we don't get the opportunity to go that often and its not like I can just sign it out and go shooting on a weekend. Being the armorer and having to handle issued weapons on a regular basis makes this more evident. Never built a gun in my life and don't consider field stripping weapons, from M9 to Mk19, as anything like building a stripped lower or barrel on an AR. Mechanic by training so I'm confident I wouldn't fail completely. However, on a soldier's budget what makes more sense? I want to build an near identical copy of a US Army issued M4A1 minus the automatic function (we don't qualify with that anyway) so I can maintain proficiency in my issued weapon and just overall be more comfortable on the platform.

mil-spec M4A1 1:7 twist 14.5" heavy barrel with M4 feed ramps with sight tower
carbine length gas system
pinned and welded A2 flash hider
mil spec trigger
knights armament rail adapter system
matech backup iron sight
mil spec charging handle
collapsible stock
and not sure what else

Looking around some companies seem to make near identical M4A1 clones with the exception of a longer barrel, a lighter barrel, no rail system, no rear sight or different rear sight, and different flash hider. My goal is an exact copy as possible for as cheap as possible. Seems Colt and FN do make some and either, still make M4's or have made M4's for the military, however they seem kinda expensive. So I'm willing to compromise on uppers and lowers and stocks if I can get basically the same thing. Did some searching and it seems there's no limit to how many cheap AR-15's out there!

So what is the best value:
Ar-15 complete that has the most components already
AR-15 parts kit
AR-15 upper with mil-spec length barrel and construction
AR-15 upper without barrel
M4A1 14.5" w/o flash hider or 16" w/flash hider heavy barrel
AR-15 lower

What issues might I run into in regards to shorter barrel purchasing? SBR's require an added tax stamp? Legal way to buy and own without SBR tax?

Thanks

^Rb
10-04-17, 23:59
LE6920 SOCOM is gonna be about as close as you're gonna get, for the dollar.

chrischoi
10-05-17, 00:01
COLT LE6920 would be perfect. Chop to 14.5 and pin A2. Buy rail and rear sight. You're done. If you want it as close as you can, this is the way to go. If you don't care, build one. Could maybe save a couple bucks. The Colt lower is the main thing if you're looking to do a clone like build.
http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/LE6920.pdf

COLT LE6920-OEM1 would also be good if you want to do a little more tinkering. I think it would be a waste if you are keeping it as simple and you posted.
http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/LE6920-OEM1.pdf

Swapping the barrel make sure the barrel over all length is 16"+. So if you want a 14.5" barrel, make sure whatever muzzle device pushes it over 16" and get it pin/welded.
SBR's will require Form 1/4 if you build or purchase. Wait time + $200.
No legal way without submitting proper forms.
Closest thing is to use a pistol brace. You can go shorter barrel, but use a SB SBM4 or KAK Shockwave Blade. Most people run this configuration while waiting for the tax stamp to come back

Yeah, that makes it simpler. Lol. I missed it on the site.

MistWolf
10-05-17, 00:10
1) Buy a Colt 6920
2) Remove the 16" M4 barrel and sell it
3) Buy a Colt 14.5" M4 or SOCOM barrel, an extended A2 birdcage and have it pinned
4) Reassemble and shoot

I went with the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel. It makes for a great AR carbine

chrischoi
10-05-17, 00:18
LE6920SOCOM

LE6920SCMCK

I saw there were these 2. But no one has them in stock. If I read it right, SOCOM has Troy Rails and SCMCK has KAC Rails.

The rail, extended A2 and BUIS is readily available.

ColtSeavers
10-05-17, 01:12

This.

beavis87
10-05-17, 01:16

Seems like they discontinued this. Anyone know if Colt will ever make them again or if anyone is selling a regular LE6920 modified with the LE6920 SOCOM parts?

Linebacker
10-05-17, 01:40
Seems like they discontinued this. Anyone know if Colt will ever make them again or if anyone is selling a regular LE6920 modified with the LE6920 SOCOM parts?

This Colt 14.5' SOCOM custom upper (pinned A2X) from G&R Tactical, may be the closest one can get to the complete rifle.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SOC-CSTM

cd228
10-05-17, 04:18
For your first rifle, I highly recommend buying. I recently purchased a COLT SOCOM with 14.5" and permanent pinned barrel from GandR. They delivered it quickly and at a reasonable price. By starting with a known good rifle that has already been test fired at the factory you avoid tooling costs and many of the teething issues normally encountered with first builds. Plus, looking at your comment of wanting to go to the range and practice more, I'd say you would be better severed by buying ammo instead of an armorers wrench. If you do really want to build your own, I'd grab a copy of the latest version of TM 9-1005-319-23&P.

christopher.dow
10-05-17, 08:30
If you can't find the rifles above and decide to build, you don't have to worry about the stamp if you have the cage pinned and welded. I agree that a longer cage is a good idea if you're going with a 14.5" barrel and don't want to get a stamp. You can get the KAC rail on eBay. I have some parts I can donate to your project. Feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tylerw02
10-05-17, 08:37
At today's prices, building an AR doesn't make much sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 AE
10-05-17, 09:07
I'm lazy, so I would just drop some coin on this and add a KAC or Troy drop in rail and a Matech rear sight later as funds and good deals on them become available. At least you'd have a solid base model to work from and can shoot it as is ASAP.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704562168

beavis87
10-05-17, 09:24
Contacted so local Colt dealers to get a feel for pricing on a LE6920 and one of them said they have an FN15 who he said is the one currently manufacturing the M4. I think the last time I saw an FN M4 was back in basic. All others I've seen since have been Colts. I like that the FN15 comes with everything I am looking for but at a $1600 price tag and thats online. I feel I could do better by starting with an LE6920. Are there any difference quality and reliability wise between a Colt and FN M4?

BFS
10-05-17, 09:39
. Are there any difference quality and reliability wise between a Colt and FN M4?

Colt will be better, as it is the only rifle made to TDP available to commercial sales.

The FN is a fine rifle, but legally FN cannot make rifles to TDP for non .gov sales.

Where and how they (FN) skirt the edges of TDP for their commercial rifles I do not know. Someone here might know that.

beavis87
10-05-17, 10:34
Correction the last FN made AR rifle I seen in the military was an M16A2 where some were Colts and some FNs.

tpdavis89
10-05-17, 11:22
Active Duty Combat Arms guy here.

Get a Colt 6920 and spend the rest of your budget on an optic, ammo, and training. That said, practice with any AR platform rifle is going to make you a more proficient shooter. Wasting money on a heavy barrel and other minor details to get as close to an issue M4A1 as possible is not worth the time or money.