PDA

View Full Version : RECCE Build Scope Choice Paralysis

js8588
10-05-17, 13:06
I'm on the verge of finishing up a RECCE style build. All the parts selected (most of them purchased).

I'm selling off the last of my C&R stuff to finance an optic and...I can't make a decision.

Here are the broad strokes of what I'm looking for and what I want it to be capable of:

1-8 power (but I can be talked into a 2-? or 1-6 etc)
Around a lb. or less in weight
Do I need an illuminated retical?
Realistically 25-300 yards. Yeah, we all have sniper-Joe fantasies but, c'mon. 5.56...let's be realistic.

9/10 times it will just be a range toy. That 10th time is when I attend various rallies/political events as civilian sheepdog/security. Heretofore I've just been bringing my CCW but, well, turn on the news...

Budget: I'd like to spend less than $800, but I've been looking at Trijicon Accupoints and Zeiss Conquest DLs that are just north of that. Let's say $400-1000.

TxRaptor
10-05-17, 13:49
Lots of really good suggestions and information in this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145073-Need-input-for-choosing-optic-for-Recce

I have been going back and forth on glass options myself. Currently in the 2.5x-10x mentality but I plan to run 77gr SMKs so I am still undecided.

WickedWillis
10-05-17, 13:53
I'm on the verge of finishing up a RECCE style build. All the parts selected (most of them purchased).

I'm selling off the last of my C&R stuff to finance an optic and...I can't make a decision.

Here are the broad strokes of what I'm looking for and what I want it to be capable of:

1-8 power (but I can be talked into a 2-? or 1-6 etc)
Around a lb. or less in weight
Do I need an illuminated retical?
Realistically 25-300 yards. Yeah, we all have sniper-Joe fantasies but, c'mon. 5.56...let's be realistic.

9/10 times it will just be a range toy. That 10th time is when I attend various rallies/political events as civilian sheepdog/security. Heretofore I've just been bringing my CCW but, well, turn on the news...

Budget: I'd like to spend less than $800, but I've been looking at Trijicon Accupoints and Zeiss Conquest DLs that are just north of that. Let's say $400-1000.

Fun spending other people's money. Have at it...

Should probably scrub that line, even if that is what you plan on doing, sends off the wrong vibe.

On the topics of optics, in your price range my choices that I have used would be the Trijicon Accupoint or Accupower (I prefer the reticles on the accupower myself especially the RS24-C) Or the Steiner PX4i 1-4x. The Steiner sits on my current RECCE build and it has a very simple reticle, with excellent glass. I'm talking well better than the price range glass, and I really like it. The hold overs are very accurate with a 200yd zero, and I have no problem whacking plates at 650 yards with sub par ammunition. Better glass over more magnification every time IMO.

js8588
10-05-17, 15:09
Should probably scrub that line, even if that is what you plan on doing, sends off the wrong vibe.

The group of guys I go with always advises local authorities they/we'll be there and this summer in Harrisburg and Gettysburg, they were glad to have us.

Some of them even went down to run security for a BLM rally in West Virginia. The 2nd Amendment is there to protect the 1st, regardless of ideology.

If I've violated some policy, feel free to close/delete the thread. Otherwise, advice on purchase for stated philosophy of use is appreciated.

0uTkAsT
10-05-17, 15:16
when I attend various rallies/political events as civilian sheepdog

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.