PDA

View Full Version : optic suggestions

kgj1119
10-24-06, 11:56
In the next month or 2 im purchasing a ar10 from noveske rifleworks? was wondering what optics would serve me best? Not looking to spend tons of money. Rifle wont be used past 200yds., so i dont want a big scope. What are your views on the ar10's from noveske?

Snake RAH
10-24-06, 18:07
I have an ArmaLite AR10 carbine, and I like EOTech for general use. For a magnified optic, I have a Leupold VX3 1.5x5x. It's not a big scope, isn't too expensive ($400) and will resolve most anything at the distances you are talking about (sub 200 yards).

SHIVAN
10-25-06, 08:53
Intended use is critical....

Not past 200yds, but do you want to print itty-bitty groups or just ring a 12" gong?

Also, what kind of budget?

kgj1119
10-25-06, 14:46
I would like some accuracy? Intended use would be more toward the tactical side. What are your opinions on an acog with a jp optics mounted on top. Figured you can use the jp for up close and personel, and the acog for the rest.

SHIVAN
10-25-06, 14:55
If you are looking in the ACOG realm I would also consider one of mid range variables.

I have a TA11 on my AR-10. I've not run it in a class yet, but I did OK with an AR-15 and TA31F. The TA11 is more generous in the eye relief and has a bigger/better reticle for fast target acquisition.

I bet a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 in a LaRue mount would be just the ticket for a little precision and a little "tactical".

olds442tyguy
10-26-06, 21:04
I agree a 1.X-4 optic would be a great optic for your package. They're sill relatively maneuverable at close distances and can also supply some decent accuracy at longer ranges.

I like the Accupoint, but I see it more as a "hit what you're aiming at" scope than something I would want to use for groupings (which may be a good thing to you). That could very well change soon though, seeing as Trijicon is developing a new reticle for their Accupoint line.

Seth Harness
02-02-07, 22:13
schmidt & bender- short dot
horus vision- talon
just some ideas :D

edwin907
02-03-07, 08:35
Well, it is on the expensive side, but how about a TA55A?
I find BAC works very very well with it, and it has the best 5.5X magnification available, plus low light is incredible.

I loved running it on this Recon, which now has a dedicated TA11C.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/73204891/original.jpg

The TA55A is now at home on a 18" Douglas SPR type rifle.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/72828927/original.jpg

sgtlmj
02-03-07, 22:57
Leupy 2.5-8x36 is perfect for medium range AR work.

http://www.sgtlmj.com/sonora.jpg

One Shot
03-24-07, 20:35
The Brits have a rifle in .223 caliber that they call the SA-85. Their rifle is a bullpup rifle that has NO IRON sights on it. What they did was mount a straight 4X SUSAT scope on top of it. What they found out was that a 4X scope covers the shooting needs of the majority of their soldiers. I decided to try an experiment with my S-15 rifle from Superior Arms. An S-15 is Superior Arms version of a standard M-4. I mounted an NC Star straight 4X scope on top of my rifle. The scope that I got was one that has an illuminated reticle so that I can use it at night. It is a pretty neat system that works very well for what I do with the rifle. The scope cost me about $35.00 and I got it by mail. You will need a riser mount for the scope if you put it on the rifle to get it lifted up high enough so that you can easily see through the scope.

Razorhunter
04-08-07, 22:01
Leupy 2.5-8x36 is perfect for medium range AR work.

http://www.sgtlmj.com/sonora.jpg

What specific rifle is this?? It is a 7.62 right? Armalite?
Also, what finish is applied to it? Looks great, and I'm dying to know what finish it is, and who applied it??
Thanks bro.

jem375
04-09-07, 09:39
another scope to think about is the Shepherd one-shot zero scope.....works as advertised...... www.shepherdscopes.com

SHIVAN
04-09-07, 10:12
Also, what finish is applied to it? Looks great, and I'm dying to know what finish it is, and who applied it??
Thanks bro.

That pictures is of a DPMS variant. Likely an AP4 with what looks like a Magpul PRS stock, and an SWS E1 rail.

sgtlmj
08-19-07, 11:34
Thanks bro.

Just catching up on some of my old posts since I don't get here much.

It's a DPMS LR308B. 18" bull bbl turned down and threaded by Randal Rausch of ar15barrels.com

The finish is Krylon and I applied it.