PDA

View Full Version : If you haven’t shot a Gen5 G19, you should.

Eurodriver
10-07-17, 19:53
Some of you may know I have a love affair with the G19. It is the perfect modern defensive firearm. It's ubiquitous, it's cheap, it's reliable, it's accurate, it doesn't fire when dropped and it works even if its full of mud. (I've tested the last two extensively) It's easily concealed and yet also perfectly suitable for OC on a duty belt.

Some of you may also know that I really like simplicity. Glock 19s and 5.56mm AR15s, and they don't need to be fancy. 6920 with iron sights, please. I shot all 19s pretty equally. Gen2s, 3s, 4s. It didn't really matter. They were all pretty similar so I would just get whatever Gen popped up at a good price.

Not anymore.

On Thursday I got a great deal on a NIB Gen4 for $400 OTD and by chance found another great deal on a NIB Gen5 on Friday.

Eurodriver's Life Rule #6: Never pass up a Glock 19 w/ 3 mags for $400 or less OTD.

I took the Gen4 to the range on Thursday and both to the range today. Both have medium backstraps, both used the same ammo, both have OEM sights.

The Gen5 obliterates the Gen4 in literally every measurable and subjective way. It's faster. It's more accurate. It looks better. It feels better. It has better sights. It's "smoother" in its operation. It's faster to reload. (FYI - I had no BTF with either gun)

I tried to record a video to explain what I was seeing in real life; the Gen4 despite "feeling" better in the hand (I actually like the finger grooves and found them "feel" better for drawing from the holster) it was ~0.2 seconds slower and had more misses than the Gen5. Shooting on paper the Gen5 was more accurate one handed (both strong and weak) which I attribute 100% to the trigger. I did not do any mechanical accuracy testing so I'm unsure if there is a higher inherent precision level in the Gen5.

But I failed at the video. I had the camera recording when I thought it was off, so when I went to shoot the Gen4, I actually turned it off :mad: Either way, I am very impressed with this gun. I want time to put this gun through its paces, but its been very impressive right out of the box.

Am I telling everyone to go sell all their guns and buy a bunch of Gen5 G19s? No, of course not. That would be ridiculous and the Previous Gens are still great.

...but I might.

NSFW Language. Target is a 4” circle acting as a “hostage taker” on a swivel next to the steel targets head.

https://youtu.be/i7oMfd1EVwk

ritepath
10-07-17, 19:55
No thanks.

Eurodriver
10-07-17, 20:03
No thanks.

You’ll never get as good as me if you don’t. :p

Kain
10-07-17, 20:10
Is it rust proof, or at least more so than the 2015 19 I have that ever other day I have been needing to wipe down and oil to stop it from rusting? If not then I will be looking at something other than Glock in short order. Possibly H&K, possibly something else entirely. But, surface rust on slide and in other places has annoyed the **** out of me. In the gun's defense it has not had any issues at the range even with rust on it, hell it has had fewer malfs rusty than brand new, but......

Arik
10-07-17, 20:31
I'm happy with my old gen 3 and my new P10C. If I see a gen 5 at the price you paid I'll grab it, otherwise I'll wait for a used one to come along

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

El Pistolero
10-07-17, 20:34
I have a Gen 4 Glock 19. With new trigger and sights of my choice it's perfect. I've handled the Gen 5 (but haven't shot one) and didn't feel it was any better than the Gen 4. The lack of finger grooves was the only thing that piqued my interest but when I held one it didn't actually feel any better than the Gen 4.

Wake27
10-07-17, 20:36
That new M&P though... the only shit thing about it is I don't remember what it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linebacker
10-07-17, 20:36
Nice write-up and video. I am further compelled to add to my Glock collection.

Eurodriver
10-07-17, 20:38
I have a Gen 4 Glock 19. With new trigger and sights of my choice it's perfect. I've handled the Gen 5 (but haven't shot one) and didn't feel it was any better than the Gen 4. The lack of finger grooves was the only thing that piqued my interest but when I held one it didn't actually feel any better than the Gen 4.

The Gen4 does feel great. I said that in the OP.

But the Gen5 shoots better. It’s objectively faster and more accurate. Incredible 15% improvement in time just by switching to a different gun.

boombotz401
10-07-17, 20:53
Love the g5 19

Handled a 2.0c earlier, going back tomorrow for a g5 17

Never heard of rust issues on the g4 but certainly not on the 5, the finish seems literally bulletproof

MegademiC
10-07-17, 21:16

But the Gen5 shoots better. It’s objectively faster and more accurate. Incredible 15% improvement in time just by switching to a different gun.

When you say more accurate, are you talking inherent accuracy or shooter accuracy due to trigger?

What kind of groups are you actually getting?
Are you shooting a gen 4 with dot or minus connector or blank?

I have never even seen a gen 5 so I'm trying to figure where it would fall in regards to performance, and if it's worth me looking into.

I need to either find my shot timer or get a new one because I want to do side by side fast tests with a std spring and ny1 in the gen4.

This is a gen4 23 with 9mm KKM barrel, and minus connector offhand at 25yds. Extreme slow fire with dry fire every 2-3 rounds as I'm still in transition mode.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o2sa9rbu1bsupp/Photo%20Sep%2009%2C%205%2052%2043%20PM.bmp?raw=1

10-07-17, 21:32
I agree with Euro.

I've been a Glock 19 guy almost exclusively for about 15 years. I like 'em. I really like the Gen3 with the finger grooves removed, double undercut, thumb shelves removed, mag release scallop, stippled. I'm not one to jump on a latest and greatest bandwagon. Gen4s were out for two years before I even shot one. I still shoot a Colt with quad rails.

I was pretty apathetic about the M and Gen5 just by reading specs. After I got situated after Irma blew through I went to a shop to talk to a guy about some long range stuff. Ended up on their indoor range test driving a Gen5 19 along with the Gen3 that I was carrying.

I now have 3 Gen5 19s and all my previous Gens are gone. I've been running one in USPSA and it is consistently easier to shoot faster and more accurately than any of my Gen3s, including my frame worked over, Vanek triggered 34.

The Gen5 is just a few incremental improvements, some may not notice, others will.

nightchief
10-07-17, 21:39
The stock trigger on the G19 G5 "feels" smoother...not really sure if it actually is, but it feels better than both of the Gen 4's that inspired me to look for "better" triggers. I'm still early in evaluating my G19, about 500 rds so far. I'm not a fan of the half moon at the bottom of the front strap, and after running a couple of hundred rounds thru it, I got a nice blister on my trigger handed middle finger (seems like some sort of a message there!). I think I'm gonna need to undercut the trigger guard a bit for my hand.

El Pistolero
10-07-17, 22:25

Yes I read that in your OP as well. That's very interesting, I wonder if the Gen 5 uses a different RSA than the 4s.

Tx_Aggie
10-07-17, 22:26
I took the Gen4 to the range on Thursday and both to the range today. Both have medium backstraps, both used the same ammo, both have OEM sights.

The Gen5 obliterates the Gen4 in literally every measurable way. It's faster. It's more accurate. It looks better. It feels better. It has better sights. It's "smoother" in its operation. It's faster to reload. (FYI - I had no BTF with either gun)

How are the sights different between the two pistols? The Gen 5s are shipping with three different sight options from Glock, but as far as I've seen the ones with OEM sights are coming with the same plastic sights as always. The other two options are Glock night sights and Ameriglos, IIRC.

I'm not arguing that the Gen 5 is an improvement over previous generations (it absolutely is).

El Pistolero
10-07-17, 22:30
I agree with Euro.

I've been a Glock 19 guy almost exclusively for about 15 years. I like 'em. I really like the Gen3 with the finger grooves removed, double undercut, thumb shelves removed, mag release scallop, stippled. I'm not one to jump on a latest and greatest bandwagon. Gen4s were out for two years before I even shot one. I still shoot a Colt with quad rails.

I was pretty apathetic about the M and Gen5 just by reading specs. After I got situated after Irma blew through I went to a shop to talk to a guy about some long range stuff. Ended up on their indoor range test driving a Gen5 19 along with the Gen3 that I was carrying.

I now have 3 Gen5 19s and all my previous Gens are gone. I've been running one in USPSA and it is consistently easier to shoot faster and more accurately than any of my Gen3s, including my frame worked over, Vanek triggered 34.

The Gen5 is just a few incremental improvements, some may not notice, others will.

Do existing trigger connectors work in the Gen 5?

How are the sights different between the two pistols? The Gen 5s are shipping with three different sight options from glock, but as far as I've seen the ones with OEM sights are coming with the same plastic sights as always. The other two options are Glock night sights and Ameriglos, IIRC.

I'm not arguing that the Gen 5 is an over previous generations (it absolutely is).

This is also interesting. I have Ameriglo Spartan Operators on my G19 and the gun shoots like a laser with them. But they are supposedly the same dimensions as the Glock OEM plastic sights.

10-07-17, 22:32
The plastic rear has a wider, deeper notch than the ones on previous gens. The sight picture is not bad.

MSparks909
10-07-17, 22:37
Interesting grip on the pistol

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-07-17, 22:44
I have enjoyed the feel of the ones I have seen. I almost bought one when I picked up my cz P10C but I decided I was going to wait for them to fix the frame beveling up front.

I am glad to see it is running well. Is it true they went back to the gen 3 extractor?

VIP3R 237
10-07-17, 23:44
It has a similar mechanism to the G43, it’s an excellent trigger

The stock trigger on the G19 G5 "feels" smoother...not really sure if it actually is, but it feels better than both of the Gen 4's that inspired me to look for "better" triggers. I'm still early in evaluating my G19, about 500 rds so far. I'm not a fan of the half moon at the bottom of the front strap, and after running a couple of hundred rounds thru it, I got a nice blister on my trigger handed middle finger (seems like some sort of a message there!). I think I'm gonna need to undercut the trigger guard a bit for my hand.

noonesshowmonkey
10-08-17, 02:28
The stock trigger on the G19 G5 "feels" smoother...not really sure if it actually is, but it feels better than both of the Gen 4's that inspired me to look for "better" triggers. ... I'm not a fan of the half moon at the bottom of the front strap, and after running a couple of hundred rounds thru it, I got a nice blister on my trigger handed middle finger...

I just sent 300 rounds down range with my 19.4 a few days ago, along with 100 rounds on my work gun (22.3), and have a serious case of Glock Knuckle.

What I came away with was that the largest point of failure in any of my shooting drills (2-2, FAST, etc.) was the mag change... Meaning that 1) I need a larger magazine release, 2) baseplates of some kind to add a bit to grab onto / add a little weight to the bottom of any empty magazine, 3) a half-moon cut at the bottom of the grip (like on my work 22.3), and 4) invest in a magwell for easier insertion.

My 19.4 has a minus connector, an extra power trigger spring, and a considerable amount of dry fire, live fire, and two passes with a polish job. It has about the best stock trigger that I can imagine for the Glock because it: 1) shortens the pre-travel slightly, 2) retains a crisp break, 3) has a tangible reset.

From what I have heard regarding the Gen 5s, the trigger accomplishes all of those tasks STOCK. It has a scallop on the grip for easier magazine extraction, STOCK. The Gen 5 magazines have flared baseplates AND have a flared magwell, STOCK.

Basically, the Gen 5 does literally everything that I have done / want to do with my current handgun, AND it has ambidextrous slide stops (which is grrrrreat!)... all STOCK.

Gens 1-4 have appeared to be largely incremental in terms of features, and Gen 5 is still incremental in strict terms in that there is no serious change to the actual operating system, but the features added are what the whole of the after market has been doing for the weapon system in the past few years.

Like Euro, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Glock pistol.

The only enhancements that the Gen 5 needs that are not yet in place are: factory RTF2 texturing available on-order, and front slide serrations. Finally, their partnership with Ameriglo for the BOLD and FBI series of sights are producing some of the best pistol sights around.

Knocking. It. Out. Of. The. Park.

My next firearms purchase (after another case or two of ammo) will be a Gen 5 Glock 19.

Eurodriver
10-08-17, 04:34
Yes. /\ That.

It does everything a gun should, better, stock. That was always my only beef with the M&P. You had to dump money in it to get it working nicely.

I did a 10 dot torture test with both 19s yesterday shooting 1” dots at 7 yards. My buddy is an LEO instructor, has an M&P, and outshot me on every single drill. He is just a better pistol shooter than I am no doubt, but he’s got like $450 in that gun with sights, trigger, barrel, etc. That’s more than I paid for my entire gun.

jedi391
10-08-17, 10:06
I'm in complete agreement with the OP. The Gen 5 (I'm more of a 17 guy) fixes every complaint I had with the Gen 4....which I liked better then the Gen 3. Turns out the FBI knows what it's doing when it comes to making changes to guns it wants to use. What has cracked me up is the reaction to the Gen 5 not being a revolutionary change. First off it's just an M series gun, but like the Springfield Pro, the FBI won't let Glock call it the M so Glock had to find a different name so Gen 5 was the easiest name. Essentially it's a Gen 4 with the FBI saying, make these improvements........and they are improvements. No way I'd buy a Gen 3 or 4 with this available and my first few hundred rounds have verified that opinion.

YVK
10-08-17, 10:36
Incredible 15% improvement in time just by switching to a different gun.

Happens to me every time I switch to a new gun.

Sadly, the honeymoon lasts about three sessions.

I think I would try to confirm the differences in more extensive testing than a single shot draw drills or dot stuff and, if truly present, would try to explain that somehow in objective ways. I do think it is distinctly possible that 5 is a better gun than 4 out of box. With the standard massage that my Gen4 get, I don't see much difference.

AndyLate
10-08-17, 10:41
I haven't worn out my Gen 2 yet, and Glock is on Gen 5? I need to shoot more.

Andy

jedi391
10-08-17, 10:58
I think that's kind of the point this way at least for me you don't have to do anything out of the box. Plus the lack of finger grooves and the increased mechanical accuracy even if not seen is always going to be a bonus.

YVK
10-08-17, 12:13
Yes, although the plastic sights would need to be replaced. If anything else needs to be replaced, I am going to wait and see. I think that while out of box Gen5 is likely a better gun, in the world of tuned Glocks the Gen4 will be holding its own. Last time we had about 180 replies poll on pistol-forum, half people kept their Glocks stock and half had some kind of mods done. Some of the top technical Glock shooters are actually sticking with their Gen3s. Soon enough the market will be awash in Gen5 aftermarket parts, we'll see how it shakes up.

Eurodriver
10-08-17, 12:17
I think I would try to confirm the differences in more extensive testing than a single shot draw drills or dot stuff

I didn't think folks wanted to see an hour of raw Gopro footage, and I certainly didn't want to spend the overnight hours uploading it. Why would you think I'd make such a bold claim having only done a little bit of shooting with it?

How often do you switch to a new gun?

FlyingHunter
10-08-17, 12:34
Serious question...brass goes where it's supposed to, no btf? My Gen 3s and 4s have been mostly good in regard to this issue. My Gen 4 is now tuned and btf is rare.

YVK
10-08-17, 12:37
I didn't think folks wanted to see an hour of raw Gopro footage, and I certainly didn't want to spend the overnight hours uploading it. Why would you think I'd make such a bold claim having only done a little bit of shooting with it?

Well, you showed the video of single shot draws, reported 0.2 sec /15% diff, and then mentioned 7 yard dots. I can't deduce from this that you also ran Defoor tests or USPSA classifiers. I don't necessarily need a feature film. In fact, I don't need a video at all although I do appreciate it, but it takes one paragraph to convey a full scope of testing. Something like "Bill Drills -x time, FAST -y time, USPSA match no difference" etc. The wider the scope of testing, the more impressive the differences appear.

How often do you switch to a new gun?

As infrequently as I can. I switched to a different carry gun earlier this year, having carried the previous gun for 6.5 years. I've been shooting the same gun in competition for 2 years.

MegademiC
10-08-17, 13:21
...Why would you think I'd make such a bold claim having only done a little bit of shooting with it?

Well, to be fair, maybe he didn't realize it was you? Hell, most people make claims more bold than that while unboxing the damn thing, Which IS documented by a feature length film.

jedi391
10-08-17, 14:45
Yes, although the plastic sights would need to be replaced. If anything else needs to be replaced, I am going to wait and see. I think that while out of box Gen5 is likely a better gun, in the world of tuned Glocks the Gen4 will be holding its own. Last time we had about 180 replies poll on pistol-forum, half people kept their Glocks stock and half had some kind of mods done. Some of the top technical Glock shooters are actually sticking with their Gen3s. Soon enough the market will be awash in Gen5 aftermarket parts, we'll see how it shakes up.

In terms of comparing the Gen 5 to a Glock Gen whatever that has been customized to where the grip is reshaped and the trigger is rebuilt, and the barrel has been replaced with a fitted aftermarket then I don't think it matters what Gen you get either. On the other hand if you're like me and you like to shoot guns largely stock with the exception of the sights (my guns are all working guns so there's no concern for competition considerations) then I think by any metric the Gen 5 is a better option then any previous generation. Now does that mean I would run out and buy a bunch of Gen 5's if I already had a bunch of Gen 4's? No. But as I needed to replace guns moving forward or if I were new to Glocks or coming back to Glocks then the Gen 5 is the way to go.

YVK
10-08-17, 14:58
No, I wasn't talking about extensive modifications but rather common parts changes totaling $50. That said, I don't disagree and I already mentioned it, it does seem like 5 is a better out of box unit. I am curious how it ends up being measured objectively once the initial enthusiasm calms down.

Eurodriver
10-08-17, 15:14
No, I wasn't talking about extensive modifications but rather common parts changes totaling $50. That said, I don't disagree and I already mentioned it, it does seem like 5 is a better out of box unit. I am curious how it ends up being measured objectively once the initial enthusiasm calms down.

I don’t think there’s much enthusiasm at all for this. There certainly wasn’t for me. I only got it because I got a super great deal on it, and decided to relegate it to the couch cushion or under the pillow (metaphors) but wanted to get some rounds through it first.

It was with reluctance that I even decided to buy, let alone shoot, this gun and it proved me wrong.

I don’t think anyone should really sell a 4 for a 5. That seems foolish. But that doesn’t mean the 5 isnt objectively better.

Well, to be fair, maybe he didn't realize it was you? Hell, most people make claims more bold than that while unboxing the damn thing, Which IS documented by a feature length film.

Haha. I appreciate that in a certain type of way. I agree. There is a thread in AR general where someone recommends BCM over DD and fully admits having never even shot the BCM.

Palmguy
10-08-17, 15:21
I don’t think there’s much enthusiasm at all for this. There certainly wasn’t for me. I only got it because I got a super great deal on it, and decided to relegate it to the couch cushion or under the pillow (metaphors) but wanted to get some rounds through it first.

It was with reluctance that I even decided to buy, let alone shoot, this gun and it proved me wrong.

I don’t think anyone should really sell a 4 for a 5. That seems foolish. But that doesn’t mean the 5 isnt objectively better.

I'm foolish I suppose. I sold a few Gen4s for 5s. Glad I did....it's a pretty significant upgrade as your OP described.

Eurodriver
10-08-17, 15:36
I’m probably going to do it too ;) it’s ok to be foolish sometimes!

_Stormin_
10-08-17, 17:06
I'm holding off for Black Friday, just on the off chance that there will be some fantastic deals, but I know that I will end up with a G19.5 before the calendar says 2018.

There have been enough reviews of these pistols from people that I trust, and Euro has always been a straight shooter on stuff (and probably one of the few with more G19s than I). Am I selling anything off in its place? Hell no, but that's because I generally only divest myself of a firearm unless I know I will never shoot it again. That's a very short list so far in my life. Eventually that will change. The safe will run out of room, and my wife might balk at a second safe. Wait... Third safe... Got away with that once already.

YVK
10-08-17, 20:08

Isolated reports from early adopters (LE who got their 19M/17M) were somewhat similar to yours, noting improved performance. Not universally but a pretty strong signal building up some enthusiasm from Glock users who read those reports. I am looking for objective dispassionate evaluations although my interest is largely academic at a moment. I own a bunch of Glocks but don't shoot them a lot, although I am contemplating to play an optic enabled pistol and Glock is a consideration.

At any rate, I am glad you got yourself a nice surprise, enjoy your G5.

Beat Trash
10-08-17, 20:25
I picked up a blue label Glock 19.5 last week. Work as prevented me from getting to the range to shoot it as of yet. But the factory trigger alone is enough of an improvement to sell me on the guns. My gen4 Glock 19's all have moderate polishing done to them and TT connectors in them. My bone stock gen 5 has a trigger that's better...

mark5pt56
10-08-17, 20:33
I've owned and shot every generation Glock so far but the Gen 5 which I plan to get once I get some time to order one(19) I've carried them in harsh environments, "store" one (gen4 19) in an uncontrolled environment(coastal Va.) and never had one rust, never brass to face and before anyone ask--I would bet my retirement check I've shot more rounds from them than 99.9% of folks here and still do. Just today I saw an HK USP9 rust over night from use yesterday on the range-cloudy, so just minor sweat from handling.
The only parts I've ever broken on a Glock were a trigger spring and a locking block pin. Was a gen 3 17 with approx. 50k at the time. On the pin-took it out along with the slide stop and shot the rest of the day. I'm up to about 25K now on the gen 4 19

We duplicated the brass to face in testing--light hold and unlocked wrist, and you don't need the have a death grip on it to avoid it. Disagree or not, it is what it is folks.

Anyhow, tks Euro, good and keep shooting

26 Inf
10-08-17, 20:52
never brass to face and before anyone ask--I would bet my retirement check I've shot more rounds from them than 99.9% of folks here and still do.

We duplicated the brass to face in testing--light hold and unlocked wrist, and you don't need the have a death grip on it to avoid it. Disagree or not, it is what it is folks.

Thank you for that.

I've been shooting, and training officers to shoot pistols for three decades. Seen fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox, shoot Glocks. Imagine my surprise when I started reading gun forums and learned that Glocks will put your eye out.

Instructing and practicing semi-solid fundamentals seem to alleviate that somewhat, huh?

Eurodriver
10-08-17, 21:02
Agreed 26

sundance435
10-08-17, 23:18
Purely anecdotal, but I handled a Gen 5 19 the other day and it was the most naturally pointing handgun I've picked up in a while. Much more so than my 3rd Gen 19. Trigger felt noticeably crisper with less take-up, although it might have been a tad heavier.

1986s4
10-09-17, 08:31
I have taken some interest in this thread and the Gen5 G19. I've wanted to like Glocks for years but for me they shoot to far left. Every G I've picked up had a front sight wiggle when the striker was released. I tried two different G5 G19's in two different shops, both had a smoother take up and no wiggle when the striker was released. The Gen 5 might get me back to Glock...

jason.mayberry68
10-09-17, 08:34
My next glock will be a g5 19.

m4brian
10-09-17, 18:35
If I need a GFA on a gen4 I suppose t still need one on a gen5??? Thanks.

Straight Shooter
10-09-17, 19:21
Id like to ask those of you who have shot the Gen5 guns, if you are noticing more, or pre-mature wear on some parts, like the barrel or just anywhere?
Ive seen some vids & pics of guns with about 1000 that had very obvious wear on the barrel. Just wondering.

HeruMew
10-09-17, 20:46
Thanks for the detailed review Euro.

Gave some quality information; while may be anecdotal and a personal experience, you've quantified it for yourself and presented it in an understandable manner.

I have plans to pick up a Gen5 at my Yearly Bonus time. We will see though.

People's Gen4s are Rusting? It's been 99-100% humidity for nearly two weeks. I sweat on it during the hot weeks and I have never had an issue with rusting in any way. Even where the holster wear has set. Mine's an Austrian Marked, but I thought there wasn't a difference in finishes with he Gen4.

Nonetheless, I do give a regular cleaning regardless of environment.

Linebacker
10-09-17, 20:51
Id like to ask those of you who have shot the Gen5 guns, if you are noticing more, or pre-mature wear on some parts, like the barrel or just anywhere?
Ive seen some vids & pics of guns with about 1000 that had very obvious wear on the barrel. Just wondering.

This would suggest to me, a tighter lock-up, which would not be a bad thing.

MSparks909
10-09-17, 21:17
Couple things...FWIW I have a G5 17 & 19 (along with a G2 19, G4 19, and I've owned/sold multiple Gen 3 and other Gen 4s over the past few years).

I surmise the tougher finish on the barrel and slide contribute to the increased visible finish wear on the Gen 5 barrels. My G17 has 1100 rounds through it and the barrel shows the same wear. Oh well.

The G5s offer a noticeable improvement in the trigger group over the Gen 3/4 guns. Markedly so. The slide finish is also pretty darn tough; I had holster wear on my Gen 4 in as little as 50 presentations. I've got probably 250 holster presentations with my Gen 5 17 and there is zero holster wear.

Both of my Gen 5s eject properly...this is something I've struggled with in the past. It is *NOT* due to my technique. Glocks and BTF *IS* a real thing and it isn't solely attributed to limp wristing. So stop purporting that shit. There have been legitimate BTF problems with both Gen 3 and Gen 4 guns. And before the fanboys come in...my Gen 2 with the fabled machined extractor also gives me BTF. It's a thing and it's been around since at least the Gen 2s.

But like I said, thankfully the Gen 5s don't have it, or at least my two samples don't. I'm not a Glock guy anymore but I recognize that they are the world service pistol, hence why I still own a few. I might pick up another Gen 5 19 & 17 as spares in the future, but I'm not really in a big rush to do so since they aren't my primary pistol choice.

If you're on the fence between a Gen 4 and a Gen 5, absolutely choose the Gen 5. I wouldn't even consider a Gen 3/4 anymore now that the Gen 5s are available.

Straight Shooter
10-09-17, 21:23
This would suggest to me, a tighter lock-up, which would not be a bad thing.

IF, in fact thats the case...I agree.

Feline
10-09-17, 21:35
A gen 5 G19/17 is on my short list. So far, I've heard great things.

10-09-17, 21:54
RE:rust on previous gens
My gen 3 G17 never had a rust issue. In fact, I don't think it ever had a speck of rust. It was carried IWB mainly in GA and LA, with stops between in other states. I had it for a couple of years.
Edit: other guns I carried during that time showed rust often, including a stainless/polymer gun. Distressing and painful for a younger me.

RE: BTF with previous gens
Same gun typically ejected over my right shoulder and occasionally struck my eyepro. Noone in their right minds would ever accuse me of limp wristing a gun. BTF is real, although I suspect it is exaggerated.

I sold the gun because I hated the grip.

BuzzinSATX
10-09-17, 21:58
Thank you for that.

I've been shooting, and training officers to shoot pistols for three decades. seen fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox, shoot Glocks. Imagine my surprise when I started reading gun forums and learned that Glocks will put your eye out.

Did you see them eat hot dogs for lunch afterwards? LOL! Loved the analogy!

Biggy
10-09-17, 23:49
My GEN 4 G19 which has a better fit barrel outshot my Gen 5 today. Glocks had a run of late production Gen 4 G19 pistols that the barrels were fit much better than usual, Taran Butler commented on it also on a youtube vid, said he though it was by accident. The Gen 5 groups weren't bad but the Gen 4 groups were noticably better on *my* sample of one. Also, on my Gen 5 G19 I put a .060" 45 degree bevel on the inner edge of the mag well cutout along with taking off the sharp edge on the outer edge of the cutout. It makes the mags much less like to get hung up on the front edge of the magwell during a mag insertion.

Evel Baldgui
10-10-17, 13:56
I have G19's, gen 3's and 4's, with 'match' barrels; and have shot the Gen5 G19 as well; still not as accurate as the M1 PPQ; sorry but an out of box PPQ just beats any glock, even with a 'match' barrel, and just as reliable as any of my glocks as well, but easier to carry and "feels" way better! Actually have two M1 PPq's and and M2 with the 5" barrel which smashed the G34 so much so that the G34 was sold off. Also, found the CZ p-07 to out shoot the G19's as well. Glocks are great weapons, but not as great as the Walther or CZ, which just lack the after market support that Glocks enjoy......hmmm, maybe because they don't need it as much :-)

ST911
10-10-17, 15:08
Quality thread, Euro. Thanks for posting.

boombotz401
10-10-17, 17:24
One major defect I’ve found with the gen 5 19....it multiplys itself

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171010/56eff0de805912d8cc0020da70650a91.jpg

Doc Safari
10-10-17, 17:29
I'll tell you one thing: I got rid of my Gen 2 G19 because the cutout at the front of the grip stings your little finger when you're shooting a match with bare hands outside in cold weather. The cutout just eats into your pinkie finger and causes a lot of discomfort. You of course don't have that problem with Gen3 or Gen4. I don't wear gloves during matches so it was a problem for me.

I held a Gen5 G19 at the LGS the other day and sure enough the cutout is pretty much the same as the Gen2.

If I indulge in a Gen 5 it will have to be a G17 because the cutout is below where you put your little finger.

26 Inf
10-10-17, 19:34
Did you see them eat hot dogs for lunch afterwards? LOL! Loved the analogy!

Every Thursday. Thursday's were known as 'Hot Dog Thursday' in our cafeteria. All beef hot dogs. As a commentary on how sad my life has been, Thursdays were the high point of my week.

Linebacker
10-10-17, 20:42
I have G19's, gen 3's and 4's, with 'match' barrels; and have shot the Gen5 G19 as well; still not as accurate as the M1 PPQ; sorry but an out of box PPQ just beats any glock, even with a 'match' barrel, and just as reliable as any of my glocks as well, but easier to carry and "feels" way better! Actually have two M1 PPq's and and M2 with the 5" barrel which smashed the G34 so much so that the G34 was sold off. Also, found the CZ p-07 to out shoot the G19's as well. Glocks are great weapons, but not as great as the Walther or CZ, which just lack the after market support that Glocks enjoy......hmmm, maybe because they don't need it as much :-)

Glock out sells Walther and their high bore axis by a factor of 20 to 1.

MegademiC
10-10-17, 20:46

please post a picture of this unachievable 25yd group that the ppq and CZ can shoot but the Glock cannot.

BuzzinSATX
10-10-17, 21:43
Every Thursday. Thursday's were known as 'Hot Dog Thursday' in our cafeteria. All beef hot dogs. As a commentary on how sad my life has been, Thursdays were the high point of my week.

LOL! Just so we are all clear about the @fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox” and “hot dog” link...

https://youtu.be/3fQwJdXFQlU

556BlackRifle
10-11-17, 01:59
I have a G19.5 and absolutely love it. Accuracy is as good as my Gen3 and Gen 4 pistols. I've put 1000 plus rounds through it and it hasn't had a single failure.

BuzzinSATX
10-11-17, 05:25
Quality thread, Euro. Thanks for posting.

I concur. Euro, you started the best Gen 5 thread I’ve seen to date, and since you’ve been a consistently solid G19 shooter/supporter for a long time, your impressions carry weight with me.

This thread wasn’t started as a Glock vs. the rest of the industry opinion, it was based on a “is the Gen 5 worth a try if I already have a few Gen 2-3-4’s in the safe?” And I think you made your point well.

And when I hear your input as positive alongside some other solid contributors, and topped off by Ken H’s opinion, I’m thinking I may need to give this new model a chance in the near future.

Thanks for your thread.

Texaspoff
10-11-17, 06:06
I'll tell you one thing: I got rid of my Gen 2 G19 because the cutout at the front of the grip stings your little finger when you're shooting a match with bare hands outside in cold weather. The cutout just eats into your pinkie finger and causes a lot of discomfort. You of course don't have that problem with Gen3 or Gen4. I don't wear gloves during matches so it was a problem for me.

I held a Gen5 G19 at the LGS the other day and sure enough the cutout is pretty much the same as the Gen2.

If I indulge in a Gen 5 it will have to be a G17 because the cutout is below where you put your little finger.

I admit I had the same feelings since I no longer own any 2nd Gens because of the same issue with the cutout. On a whim I picked up a 19, as I really wanted to see this new barrel and supposed improved accuracy.

Sure enough, I can feel the cutout when holding it, but when shooting it, it doesn't both me one bit. The flared mag well keeps my pinky just far enough out of harms way, it causes no issues. The 5th Gen has become my new go to Glock. It isn't that it is that much better than the other gens, but it is enough of an improvement for me to justify replacing my 4th gens as duty weapons.

TXPO

og556
10-11-17, 10:52
Texaspoff - do you find your pinky slipping off the bottom of the grip of the Gen 5 19 while shooting? I wear xl gloves and could definitely feel the cutout while handling one without a mag inserted.

I’ve read reports from people who have shot these that it feels like you can get a higher grip and may not need to undercut the trigger guard like on gen 3 and gen 4 19’s.

nightchief
10-11-17, 13:43
I’ve read reports from people who have shot these that it feels like you can get a higher grip and may not need to undercut the trigger guard like on gen 3 and gen 4 19’s.

I don't think there is a difference. I ran the 19 for about 200ish rounds and got a serious case of Glock Knuckle. I will still have mine undercut at some point. I also did a side by side compared it to a gen 4 and they look the same to me.

NC

Eurodriver
10-11-17, 13:50
I'm don't think there is a difference. I ran the 19 for about 200ish rounds and got a serious case of Glock Knuckle. I will still have mine undercut at some point. I also side by side compared it to a gen 4 and they look the same to me.

NC

100% concur

B52U
10-11-17, 20:14
This just reported on P&S:

"So I'm about 2k into my gen 5 glock 17 and the trigger is starting to get noticeably grittier. I thought maybe it was a piece of debris or something but I've cleaned it thoroughly. Not a huge deal yet but I've heard the same complaint from someone with I higher roundcount gun. Anyone else experiencing this?"

I would be interested to know if this happens on your guns.

MisterHelix
10-11-17, 20:19
This just reported on P&S:

"So I'm about 2k into my gen 5 glock 17 and the trigger is starting to get noticeably grittier. I thought maybe it was a piece of debris or something but I've cleaned it thoroughly. Not a huge deal yet but I've heard the same complaint from someone with I higher roundcount gun. Anyone else experiencing this?"

I would be interested to know if this happens on your guns.

It happens to my gen4 glocks, but I shoot suppressed most of the time. I end up detail stripping them to clean behind the trigger bar/connector every third cleaning or so.

_Stormin_
10-12-17, 05:00
There is always that one guy...

noonesshowmonkey
10-12-17, 05:07
There is always that one guy...

And that guy does not have an agency or unit dictating to him what to carry. Further, he doesn't care if there are RMR cut outs readily available, or holsters for weapons so configured. Much less the availability or interchangeability of higher capacity magazines (26 -> 19 -> 17 -> happy stix). Or any of the (so, so many) advantages that Glock enjoys.

Is a PPQ trigger better? Yes. Do I have any idea what my trigger feels like after I have run sprints and then shot a string for time? Nope.

I might shoot my PPQ M1 more accurately and faster than my Glock 19... If I took the time to train up with it. As it is, the Glock platform mirrors my issue weapon, and the issue weapon of any agency or unit that I would be working with in the future. As such, any trigger pull spent training on the PPQ is 'cheating' on the Glock platform.

Pretty much any armed professional in the US LE and .mil world (short of the issued M9/XM17) uses the Glock.

I won't dog the Walther PPQ. It's a fantastic design. I sold mine to my father (As was the original trap! Sorry, not sorry, dad!) for the simple fact that as an armed professional, Glock is the only way to fly.

Regardless, track your times and groups. The platform has an impact (as Euro showed shaving a couple tenths of a second off of a given drill just by jumping Gen4 to Gen5), but the 'feel' of the platform does not share a linear relationship with performance.

Eurodriver
10-12-17, 05:19
Today I'm going to be comparing mechanical and shooting accuracy of a Gen 4 and Gen 5 I'm as curious as anyone to see if last week was a fluke (doubtful) or if the Gen5 trigger improvement is really that good (likely)...or if there is a "honeymoon phase" where you shoot better with a new gun that you are inexperienced with and lose proficiency as time goes on. :blink:

I'll also bring a Gen 4 with an RMR and Stormlake bbl and a Gen3. Maybe I'll just bring all the Glock 19s, find which one shoots the best and sell the rest to outfit a small, underfunded LE department. ;)

but the 'feel' of the platform does not share a linear relationship with performance.

You mean all of those hours spent finger banging a handgun in the gun shop for things of such importance as "pointability" and "feel" and "hump removal" were a complete waste of time and play zero role in actually getting rounds on target in a quick manner?

Color me shocked.

We should start an M4C Video Yourself Doing A Drill thread and see who can put up and who should shut up.

Biggy
10-12-17, 10:24
Below are a few reviews of the Gen 5 G19. I currently own one and unless they come out with a 5.5 version I will probably keep it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TDTnt6QSK4&t=625s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LpsI1CZrjA&t=224s

Eurodriver
10-12-17, 21:15
Update: I am noticing accelerated wear on the Gen5 than Gen4. Despite an almost identical round count the Gen5 is shiny on the barrel where the smiley face is and where the chamber contacts the slide.This really doesn’t bother me but it’s noticeable.

Also, unfortunately, it hates 147gr ammo which is a big issue as that's what I've transitioned to. I was blowing out 3" circles at 25 yards with the Gen3 and Gen4s today, but the Gen5 was grouping about 8" at that distance. I did not have 115gr to compare, but that's what I shot last time. If this gun really does not like 147gr that is going to be an issue with me.

Update: it loves 147gr. This barrel is either just finicky when new/clean or I had an off day. Shot the same exact ammo with great results a week later.

Texaspoff
10-13-17, 07:43
Update: I am noticing accelerated wear on the Gen5 than Gen4. Despite an almost identical round count the Gen5 is shiny on the barrel where the smiley face is and where the chamber contacts the slide.

Also, unfortunately, it [b]hates[b] 147gr ammo which is a big issue as that's what I've transitioned to. I was blowing out 3" circles at 25 yards with the Gen3 and Gen4s today, but the Gen5 was grouping about 8" at that distance. I did not have 115gr to compare, but that's what I shot last time. If this gun really does not like 147gr that is going to be an issue with me.

The wear you are seeing seems to be the norm for the internals on the 5th gen. While the new finish holds up extremely well on the outside to holster wear, it seems it doesn't do so well on the barrel. Personally it doesn't bother me one bit as long as wear is the only thing is shows. I am approaching 3k out of mine now, and the wear doesn't seem be any worse than at 200 rounds.

As far as 147 grain accuracy I have no experience with that weight in mine, I stick with 124 +p for duty and defensive uses. The 115 and 124 grain in my 5th gen shoots POA/POI all day and twice on Sundays. It is very accurate with either weight, and doesn't care about brand. I have been extremely happy with the 5th gen.

TXPO

Eurodriver
10-13-17, 07:54
The wear you are seeing seems to be the norm for the internals on the 5th gen. While the new finish holds up extremely well on the outside to holster wear, it seems it doesn't do so well on the barrel. Personally it doesn't bother me one bit as long as wear is the only thing is shows. I am approaching 3k out of mine now, and the wear doesn't seem be any worse than at 200 rounds.

As far as 147 grain accuracy I have no experience with that weight in mine, I stick with 124 +p for duty and defensive uses. The 115 and 124 grain in my 5th gen shoots POA/POI all day and twice on Sundays. It is very accurate with either weight, and doesn't care about brand. I have been extremely happy with the 5th gen.

TXPO

The wear doesn’t bother me at all either but it seems to get brought up. I have a Gen3 G19 that is no joke silver from wear. It’s great.

I agree that it shoots to POA all day with the 115. But the accuracy yesterday was a big issue. There’s just no way I was shooting as well as I did in the OP with it and then a few days later sucked that bad. It had to be ammo related. I even brought another brand of 147 with me that I forgot to try. Need to eliminate variables.

Biggy
10-13-17, 10:02
The wear doesn’t bother me at all either but it seems to get brought up. I have a Gen3 G19 that is no joke silver from wear. It’s great.

I agree that it shoots to POA all day with the 115. But the accuracy yesterday was a big issue. There’s just no way I was shooting as well as I did in the OP with it and then a few days later sucked that bad. It had to be ammo related. I even brought another brand of 147 with me that I forgot to try. Need to eliminate variables.

So, I take it your other Glock nines shot alright with the 147 gr ammo ? Were you using Fed HST ?

sundance435
10-13-17, 10:14
Update: I am noticing accelerated wear on the Gen5 than Gen4. Despite an almost identical round count the Gen5 is shiny on the barrel where the smiley face is and where the chamber contacts the slide.This really doesn’t bother me but it’s noticeable.

Also, unfortunately, it hates 147gr ammo which is a big issue as that's what I've transitioned to. I was blowing out 3" circles at 25 yards with the Gen3 and Gen4s today, but the Gen5 was grouping about 8" at that distance. I did not have 115gr to compare, but that's what I shot last time. If this gun really does not like 147gr that is going to be an issue with me.

What kind of 147gr? Have you tried any Rangers or HSTs through it?

bear13
10-14-17, 09:54
I thought the fbi used 147grn ammo? Which the gun was catered to. Hopefully mine will run on 147 grn. Because I just received quite a bit of it.

YVK
10-14-17, 11:28
...or if there is a "honeymoon phase" where you shoot better with a new gun that you are inexperienced with and lose proficiency as time goes on. :blink:

You don't lose proficiency, you lose the novelty factor that may lead to heightened attention, excitement and performance. Or honeymoon was too short to put enough reps in different days and exclude random issues like shooter's factors. Or, like in any relationships, you find stuff you've not had a chance to find during the honeymoon, like ammo factors. Good luck resolving the 147 gr ammo issues. I've heard pretty good reports about G5 and 147 Speer G2 ammo.

bear13
10-14-17, 18:53
Finally got mine out today, installed new sights and ran 100 rounds through it. This is not a improvement to gen 4s for me. It shoots like a different gun. Very impressed with the performance. No “honeymoon stage” for me. The improvements just work. Trigger is much better, accuracy was good and ejection was great. I shot it in the cold and the rain. The gun just works.

New sights. Stole the idea of the sights on the px4cc. I like them.
.120 front and .150 rear. Ameriglo
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/f13ca076c498b7cfb058e2aacf07b40d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/0b27fad314830275b528ece5e13d283d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/398aec1f32000bfa093fe0c775fa13bb.jpg

Shot 147 grn speer lawman.

First 45 and 30 rounds out of the gun at 7 yards.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/771a026611ec14cf072154277f78be13.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/525717b8b8dd3828c8ceabbded320b11.jpg

5 rounds at 7 yards
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/3523432a607dc304797a82c390b38515.jpg

15 yards. 4 inch circle 1/2 inch square. I very rarely shoot past ten yards. The flier was all me. Pretty good considering my glasses were foggy as hell and the ground was slop. Someone who shoots out further regularly would tighten it up.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/9912deeaadd0719d901bd93f47f3006a.jpg

I came from a p10 and a px4cc. This gun fires on all cylinders for me. The weight and concealment to shootability is awesome. I need to get used to the sights for sure. Usually always run a .140 ameriglo front. So the thin front sight is going to take some time. But for a new gun in the pouring rain ill take it. I never have been able to just pick up a glock and shoot it well. I can see if you love a gen 4 or older gen trigger how this may be different. But to me the rolling break and smoothness is awesome. The cutout was unnoticeable while firing. No finger grooves is amazing for me. Very happy with the performance. Also had the tlr-1 strapped on the whole time. Magpul mags and factory mags were used.

HD1911
10-15-17, 08:52
Hello Glock, I’m baaaaaaaack!!!! Well, the gen5 19 has got me back into liking Glock again. This generation is just THAT GOOD. After owning over 10 different Glocks, I migrated away from them a few years ago for various different reasons. I will say that this new Gen5 is a whole different animal. No BTF now (hallelujah!!), superbly accurate (147gr is all I shoot), super smooth and low/almost non-existent muzzle rise (obviously this was never a problem with 9mm Glock’s), amazing trigger with an actual clean break, amazing feeling grip without the finger grooves... I could go on and on. In all seriousness, it’s good to be back.

After buying it at the LGS yesterday, I immediately went to the range. Took the slide off for a quickie lube job. The target pic is the first 15rnds out of the pistol, at 7yards. I had two called flyers. I was happy with it, considering it currently wears the plastic OEM sights and I haven’t shot a Glock legitimately in like 3 or so years. Ammo was 147gr Lawman for the first 100rnds, followed by 82rnds of 147gr HST. I honestly got bored with shooting paper at 7yards rather quickly and was just getting better and better with it at a rapid rate. So i moved to just ringing the 7” steel plate rack at 25y. Even with the stock sights, I could consistently get atleast 4 out of the 6 plates every time. If I missed, it was only because I wasn’t breaking the trigger cleanly. I then proceeded to ring the crap out of the 59yard gong, which is about a 20” steel plate. I actually went 3 for 3 on it one time. I’m super happy I bought this 19.5, so far :D

I will most likely be ordering the FBI contract sights today, although I’m stuck on wether to go with the .125 or the .140 front... I’m kinda leaning towards the .125 front for the precision capability.

I earlier mentioned no BTF... full disclosure, I literally had one shell casing out of 182 barely hit the top of my right shoulder, and it was within the first 5 rnds ever fired... I can easily live with that if it ever happens again.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Mobile%20Uploads/D11F6BDE-13B4-4E1B-B3CB-7C2B1B9095A6_zpssrhwacbx.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/HD1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D11F6BDE-13B4-4E1B-B3CB-7C2B1B9095A6_zpssrhwacbx.jpg.html)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Mobile%20Uploads/3BBCB27B-6674-4A87-9218-889F60BA8BE9_zpsjpuvzdnb.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/HD1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3BBCB27B-6674-4A87-9218-889F60BA8BE9_zpsjpuvzdnb.jpg.html)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Mobile%20Uploads/D6B4F84A-9CBD-417B-8848-D3AA252B1640_zpsz60wfzj8.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/HD1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D6B4F84A-9CBD-417B-8848-D3AA252B1640_zpsz60wfzj8.jpg.html)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Mobile%20Uploads/C27BF27C-977C-40D9-89C3-B31CEB197D64_zpsgdime5ka.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/HD1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C27BF27C-977C-40D9-89C3-B31CEB197D64_zpsgdime5ka.jpg.html)

sundance435
10-16-17, 09:28
Not to hijack, but is anyone using the FBI contract sights on theirs? If so, what height/width?

Thanks

HD1911
10-16-17, 10:57
Not to hijack, but is anyone using the FBI contract sights on theirs? If so, what height/width?

Thanks

I've got some on the way. I'll def. take some pics and post up all pertinent info after I get them on and to the range.

firefighter37
10-16-17, 15:31
I've got some on the way. I'll def. take some pics and post up all pertinent info after I get them on and to the range.

I have some on the way also. I'll update when I install them, and shoot.

firefighter37
10-16-17, 16:32
So caving in to peer pressure from Euro, who always talks me into buying $hit, I bought a Gen 5 G19 Saturday. I was excited and reluctant at the same time, because I love my early prefix Gen 3 19s (I own a few). I have always been on the fence about finger grooves, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to try my beloved pistol sans finger grooves.

Off to the range I went with 2 Gen 3 19s (One with night sights, the other with factory plastics) and the Gen 5 with factory plastics. Timer in hand, ready to see if this new gun could be the beginning of a new Glock collection (I own about 17 Gen 3 Glocks in various models).

Long story short, the Gen 5 did not impress me. I was no faster or slower on the timer, and not more accurate with either pistol. They were pretty dead even for me. I am no competition shooter, and I am probably below average at best. Maybe in the hands of a more capable shooter there may be a difference, but not for me.

I love the finish on the slide, after about 300 rounds there is no noticeable wear. Numerous Kydex holster presentations did not affect it either. I also feel like the finger grooves help me grip the gun better.

If I didn’t own Gen 3s, And have so much time with them, I would probably love the Gen 5, but the first person to put ~$550in my PayPal account will be the happy new owner of a few day old G19

boombotz401
10-16-17, 16:34
For anyone waiting for blue label, I’ve seen them as low as 398

Picked up a g5 17 to go with the 19

bear13
10-16-17, 17:07
So caving in to peer pressure from Euro, who always talks me into buying $hit, I bought a Gen 5 G19 Saturday. I was excited and reluctant at the same time, because I love my early prefix Gen 3 19s (I own a few). I have always been on the fence about finger grooves, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to try my beloved pistol sans finger grooves.

Off to the range I went with 2 Gen 3 19s (One with night sights, the other with factory plastics) and the Gen 5 with factory plastics. Timer in hand, ready to see if this new gun could be the beginning of a new Glock collection (I own about 17 Gen 3 Glocks in various models).

Long story short, the Gen 5 did not impress me. I was no faster or slower on the timer, and not more accurate with either pistol. They were pretty dead even for me. I am no competition shooter, and I am probably below average at best. Maybe in the hands of a more capable shooter there may be a difference, but not for me.

I love the finish on the slide, after about 300 rounds there is no noticeable wear. Numerous Kydex holster presentations did not affect it either. I also feel like the finger grooves help me grip the gun better.

If I didn’t own Gen 3s, And have so much time with them, I would probably love the Gen 5, but the first person to put ~$550in my PayPal account will be the happy new owner of a few day old G19

This is not surprising. If you are vested into and shoot gen 3s that well. Then this gun shoots differently. The trigger is different the recoil springs are different. The grip is different. For me the gen 5 flat out smokes other Glocks. All the small changes ad up and make a better shooting gun. Everyone has a different perception of performance. I have 250 rounds through mine now. Love this damn thing. And I swore off Glocks.

Eurodriver
10-16-17, 17:13
https://youtu.be/R-bIqmBFCsA

That shit eating grin on the first shot :)

What kind of 147gr? Have you tried any Rangers or HSTs through it?

So, I take it your other Glock nines shot alright with the 147 gr ammo ? Were you using Fed HST ?

Gotta clarify this: Something was off that day.

Either I had a bad day, the gun does NOT like being shot clean, or there are some factors at work such as new gun break in or something.

I was shooting 147gr Speer lawman through a clean gun on that day and it shot like garbage. 115gr was a laser beam the previous trip so I attributed it to the ammo. Today I shot the exact same Speer lawman (with a dirty gun) and i was getting damn close to 3” at 25 yards offhand. Not to mention the 150y shooting in the video above. I’ll have to check this out.

dirkmagurk
10-16-17, 18:19
Haven’t seen anyone mention it here, but Glock went with a 1913 rail slot on the gen 5 pistols instead of their universal rail slot. This is a definite improvement to me since I often swap my x300’s around. Just putting it out there for anyone that didn’t already know.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-16-17, 18:39
Well crap. I just ordered an aplc for glock.will it fit?

Campbell
10-16-17, 18:55
Well crap. I just ordered an aplc for glock.will it fit?

I am using the Glock model on a VP9, just a bit of forward/back movement, it would be easy enough to shim the play out if needed. If you are doing a lot of training from a very tight Kydex you might see a little wear in the slot possibly. I have the right one coming and will put this back on the 19 in time.

dirkmagurk
10-16-17, 19:09
It should. My x300's with the universal rail installed still fit on my gen 5, just not as snug as with the picatinny, they have a little movement fore and aft.

Biggy
10-18-17, 10:51
I installed the Apex Tactical's action enhancement kit in my Gen 5 Glock G19. It comes twith the Apex trigger shoe, Apex gen 5 trigger bar and a Apex connector. This kit does not sacrifice reliability or safety in any way, but *for me* it does make all the trigger characteristics noticeably better. It was definately worth it for me.

Eurodriver
10-18-17, 11:50
How does it shoot?

Biggy
10-18-17, 14:31
How does it shoot?

I don't have enough rounds through it yet using different brands and weights of ammo ( FMJ and FMJ HP's) to come to a real accurate answer. And no trigger time on it yet with the Apex kit installed in it. Shooting just 124gr FMJ Speer Lawmen and Sellier&Bellot ball ammo my Cz p-10C and Gen4 G19 shot a *little* better groups. Installed the Apex trigger kit takes some of the rolling break out of the trigger pull. You have the take up to the wall and then a shorter rolling break, but it a little cleaner and around one pound less, and with a shorter reset. It is also more comfortable on my trigger finger. *Overall*, the trigger is not as good as on my P-10C , but with the Apex kit installed it is an improvement and a good carry trigger, and all you will ever need.

hotrodder636
10-18-17, 15:20
Have any of you new Gen 5 owners experienced the trigger bar rubbing on the right side slide stop, is there any interference? I have read some reports there was some interference and actually caused “flexing” of the right side of the frame and caused the slide stop to “move”.

Eurodriver
10-19-17, 23:38
Have any of you new Gen 5 owners experienced the trigger bar rubbing on the right side slide stop, is there any interference? I have read some reports there was some interference and actually caused “flexing” of the right side of the frame and caused the slide stop to “move”.

You mean when the trigger is squeezed it rubs alongside the ambi slide release?

jschmitt08
10-20-17, 01:28
I caved and ordered one of these. I originally ordered one right when they came out, but cancelled as I wanted to see some initial reviews. I was mostly worried about the grip cutout, but that appears to be a non issue. It might be better for me as it looks like I can get more of my hand on the bottom, with the older gens my pinky was hanging off of that bottom groove that sticks out at the bottom of the grip.

bear13
10-20-17, 06:55
I caved and ordered one of these. I originally ordered one right when they came out, but cancelled as I wanted to see some initial reviews. I was mostly worried about the grip cutout, but that appears to be a non issue. It might be better for me as it looks like I can get more of my hand on the bottom, with the older gens my pinky was hanging off of that bottom groove that sticks out at the bottom of the grip.

I had looked at the g19.5 three times before buying one. Each time I thought the cutout would bother me. So far in actual shooting never noticed it. I have a medium/large hand size for reference

jschmitt08
11-03-17, 09:32
I'm 1200 rounds into mine, and the cutout is absolutely a non factor. For me, I shoot the gen 5 much better than the gen 4s. Ejection is good, and I have had no malfunctions through a mixture of cheap fmj and hst rounds. The trigger is excellent. Hits on steel at 75 and 100 are easily doable. There is nothing about the gun I feel the need to change or modify. I was skeptical at first of the gen 5, and even cancelled my order when it first came out. Now I'm a believer. It's all gen 5 for me going forward.

I want to add that the gun functioned with any mag I put in it.... 17 round glock mags, 15/17 round pmags.

Biggy
11-03-17, 10:45
My Gen 4 G19 will easily outshoot my Gen 5 G19. I noticed the barrel on my Gen 4 is fit much better. Not all Gen 4 barrels are fit like this from the factory, I believe it was by accident. Lucky me.

sundance435
11-03-17, 11:00
Can someone remind me please what the non-standard parts on the 5s are vis a vis Gen 1-4?

Thanks

B52U
11-03-17, 11:06
Can someone remind me please what the non-standard parts on the 5s are vis a vis Gen 1-4?

ThanksOff the top of my head: Locking block pin is gone, new barrel with standard rifling, sloped firing pin safety. Frame differences, slide has those beveled edges on the front. Trigger return spring different.

sundance435
11-03-17, 13:19
Off the top of my head: Locking block pin is gone, new barrel with standard rifling, sloped firing pin safety. Frame differences, slide has those beveled edges on the front. Trigger return spring different.

Thanks. I thought I remembered a reference to a new trigger return spring, which happens to be the only Glock part I have a bunch of.

dirkmagurk
11-03-17, 15:31
Has anyone noticed a difference in triggers between the gen 5 17 and 19? I shot a guys brand new gen 5 17 and it had a noticeably smoother trigger. My 19’s isn’t bad but it has a little hesitation/stacking feeling right before the break. This guys 17 was buttery smooth all the way through.

11-03-17, 20:07
My 19 stacks a little, but it's nice. Has a little over 2K rounds through it and it's the best Glock I've used.

CanineCombatives
11-03-17, 20:28
Both triggers feel the same to me, as to the cutout, on the 17 it's a non issue due to the length of the grip but a bit of an annoyance on the 19 because your pinkie finger is constantly indexed on it.

Leaveammoforme
11-04-17, 02:38
I have a buddy who handed me a Gen 5 19 while he excitingly said something along the lines of "Here, check this out". I fired about 10 rounds through it.

Thought to myself "meh" and handed it back. I personally just don't see the hubbub regarding the Gen 5. I understand that "It has what plants need, its got electrolytes" but it wasn't an amazing experience to me.

Not to start an age old argument but I had an epiphany the first time I held a 1911. To me, everything just felt right. I guess I expect to have the same feeling again at some point and dismiss pistols that don't provide it. I'm a Glock and 1911 guy but see no reason to run out and upgrade to the latest interpretation of "Perfection".

juliet9
11-04-17, 08:35
Problem is the flared magazine well hits into the base of your palm. Totally uncomfortable. The 17 mag well flair sits BELOW your palm, as it should. Major drawback to me. Far worse than finger grips. Kinda like having a small stone in your shoe.

ramairthree
11-04-17, 10:24
To be honest,
The Glocks I would run out and buy RFN would be:

Gen 2 19, But with the rail dust over.

Gen 2 19, with rail dust cover and 17 length upper.

Gen 2 19 grip with rail dust cover and 26 length upper.

jschmitt08
11-04-17, 10:34
Problem is the flared magazine well hits into the base of your palm. Totally uncomfortable. The 17 mag well flair sits BELOW your palm, as it should. Major drawback to me. Far worse than finger grips. Kinda like having a small stone in your shoe.

Have you shot one yet or just handled one? Granted we all have different hand sizes but the flared magwell and cutout give me no issues.

signal4l
11-04-17, 11:50
The gen 5 Glocks dont seem to like dummy rounds. Just finished a class at the police academy. All recruits with Gen 5 guns had to have the dummy rounds tapped out with cleaning rods.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem

tom12.7
11-04-17, 16:34
The gen 5 Glocks dont seem to like dummy rounds. Just finished a class at the police academy. All recruits with Gen 5 guns had to have the dummy rounds tapped out with cleaning rods.

Not yet, at least, but I'm curious about the source of the ones that you reference?

signal4l
11-04-17, 17:00
Not yet, at least, but I'm curious about the source of the ones that you reference?

http://www.stactionpro.com/9-mm-action-trainer-dummy-rounds-p-1.html

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-04-17, 17:15
I can tell you one thing I like MUCH BETTER about my Gen 5: no btf. My G19/5 flat out doesn’t care how it is gripped.

I was initially put off by the talk of the mag well but it fits my hand perfectly. I’ve never really needed a mag well on a double stack handgun but it doesn’t interfere in any way.

tom12.7
11-04-17, 17:28
http://www.stactionpro.com/9-mm-action-trainer-dummy-rounds-p-1.html

Thanks for the reply, I have not tried those out yet. Was there any obvious indication as to why they would not extract normally?

ghostly
11-04-17, 17:44
I can tell you one thing I like MUCH BETTER about my Gen 5: no btf. My G19/5 flat out doesn’t care how it is gripped.

I was initially put off by the talk of the mag well but it fits my hand perfectly. I’ve never really needed a mag well on a double stack handgun but it doesn’t interfere in any way.

My buddy has been having issues with his, but not Gen 3 or Gen 4 guns. I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll buy one at this time. My Gen 4 runs great and has a frame job. Not seeing an advantage at this point.

tom12.7
11-04-17, 17:45

Somehow, I've lucked out so far with the BTF issue on other generations. With the Gen 5 19 and 17, possible serious use ammo selections so far eject well out of the way.
The magazine flare and the cut out really does not seem to be an issue to me either.
Honestly, my biggest issue, and it is a minor one is just getting used to the sc-1a with the morrigan on the 19. It's really not an issue with the components, but more about me getting more familiar with it.

signal4l
11-04-17, 18:35
Thanks for the reply, I have not tried those out yet. Was there any obvious indication as to why they would not extract normally?

I didnt have time to look too closely at the Gen 5 guns. The dummy rounds worked fine in all of the 60 + other guns (Sig, MP, XD. ETC)

tom12.7
11-04-17, 18:52
Is there any possibility of you or someone else sending to me one or a few of these to examine, even if I am am able to send it back with non destructive evaluation?
I am curious about a few things. I can send a formal request to your department if that is required.

556BlackRifle
11-04-17, 20:13

Same here. My G19 Gen5 consistently spits them out at 16:00. I'm pretty happy so far.

Evan_O
11-04-17, 21:47

I too have noticed this with both my gen5 G17 and G19s. I’ve used both plastic and aluminum dummy rounds. I purchase them from Brownells for my department. We have not had one issue with any of these same dummy rounds out of our gen3 or gen4 Glocks. They consistently lock the slide up solid on the gen5.

Couple things I’ve noticed, when the guns are cold and haven’t been shot they will cycle the dummy rounds fine. Once you intermix the dummy rounds with live rounds they immediately start to lock up the pistol.

When the dummy round enters the barrel and trigger is pulled now the slide is locked solid. Because the trigger has been pulled the slide can be removed. Remove the RSA and the barrel is tight in the slide. Couple knocks on the barrel hood and the barrel will release from the slide. Once the barrel is removed the dummy round will fall right out of the barrel. Strangest thing I’ve ever seen and I thought it was just my small sample. It’s problematic enough my department will not be purchasing gen5 Glocks at this time.

Evan_O
11-04-17, 21:50
Is there any possibility of you or someone else sending to me one or a few of these to examine, even if I am am able to send it back with non destructive evaluation?
I am curious about a few things. I can send a formal request to your department if that is required.

Tom, shoot me a shipping address and I’ll gladly send you some of our dummy rounds. I’m very excited to use and shoot the gen5 pistols and it’s a real disappointment we are having such issues with the dummy rounds. We use a lot of drills at my department utilizing dummy rounds and at this time gen5 Glocks are a no go for department purchase.

juliet9
11-04-17, 22:07
Have you shot one yet or just handled one? Granted we all have different hand sizes but the flared magwell and cutout give me no issues.

Yes I have. Did not like it for reason mentioned. Mag well flare rests right in the middle of the base of my palm on the 19. The 17 was fine.

VALG17
11-05-17, 06:44
I'm very pleased with my Glock 19, Gen 5 and agree that the Glock 19 is truly "Glock perfection"

PLCedeno
11-05-17, 08:28

So glad someone else is reporting this. Happened to me yesterday while teaching a class and it was not a good moment. That being said, my sample of one has been flawless with real ammo after 1k. I noticed that the last round would dribble out of the extraction port only with Federal Syntech 115 gr.

tom12.7
11-05-17, 16:28
Tom, shoot me a shipping address and I’ll gladly send you some of our dummy rounds. I’m very excited to use and shoot the gen5 pistols and it’s a real disappointment we are having such issues with the dummy rounds. We use a lot of drills at my department utilizing dummy rounds and at this time gen5 Glocks are a no go for department purchase.

Info sent via a pm.

Biggy
11-05-17, 20:15
The Gen 5 guns reportedly have shorter throats (according to Glock) as part of the marksmen barrel. Older Gens have very generous throats and are very tolerant of OAL issues.

Ron3
11-05-17, 22:01
Yes I have. Did not like it for reason mentioned. Mag well flare rests right in the middle of the base of my palm on the 19. The 17 was fine.

Yea, I don't like the flare (G19) or new gap.

But I'm off Glocks anyways. I'm going DA/SA. Also, having shot many guns over the years, Glocks extensively, I've come not prefer it's grip angle or triggers. I shoot them well and they are very reliable. But there are other guns nowadays that can perform the same.

methical20
11-09-17, 10:28
I've heard conflicting reports: Does the Gen. 5 use a M1913 rail slot or does it use the non-standard Glock rail slot?

I'd like to put the Inforce APLc Glock light on a Gen. 5.

Texaspoff
11-09-17, 10:34
I've heard conflicting reports: Does the Gen. 5 use a M1913 rail slot or does it use the non-standard Glock rail slot?

Yes the 5th gen has the 1913 slot.

TXPO

bear13
11-09-17, 12:53

But beware. You can not install certain 1913 equipped lights. Pay attention to where the 1913 bar is on lights/lasers. Usually they will be towards the middle of the light on some companies.

Aplc for example. You still have to buy a Glock specific light.

HD1911
11-09-17, 14:39

The slot being 1913 instead of older universal Glock has nothing to do with it, concerning using the APL-C. The cross bolts are the exact same, between the Universal and Glock specific APL-C. It's the placement of the cross bolt that matters. If you order the Universal APL-C, the light will not fit flush with the muzzle. It will extend out a noticeable bit. If you're going to mount an APL-C on any Glock, no matter the Gen, buy the Glock specific APL-C if you want it to fit flush with the muzzle (19/23/32).

clarkz71
11-15-17, 18:33

This problem was solved years ago for the gen 2. Pearce mag floor plate with half moon filler
Fits Gen 5 magazines. I used these back when I had a gen 2. Works perfect,

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-FML

https://s7.postimg.org/egjfhxn5n/gen_5_filler.png

VALG17
11-15-17, 18:51
Totally agree with the OP. I was out last weekend blasting away at a small steel torso target with a Glock 19 Gen 5 with factory sights hitting it every single time at about 35 yards out. Even the instructor asked to try out the Gen 5.

RHINOWSO
11-16-17, 09:58
You’ll never get as good as me if you don’t. :p

So you finally figured out how to conceal a G19? I know that was a long time issue for you.

Welcome back from your 'vacation' too.

Will have to find a Gen5 G19 sometime soon.

jimjc
11-16-17, 20:07
I have shot the Gen5.......My Sig P320 is a superior gun in most every way......

jpmuscle
11-16-17, 20:14
I have shot the Gen5.......My Sig P320 is a superior gun in most every way......

Especially the drop kaboom way am I right?

[emoji854]

jimjc
11-16-17, 20:25
Especially the drop kaboom way am I right?

[emoji854]

No dude you aren't. Glocks have injured thousands with Glock leg, Glock hasn't done anything about it for 25 years....Remington have killed many and injured more and didn't fix the issue for many years...Sig found a issue and had a fix for it in a few months and the guns are being fixed now at no cost to the owner.....huh

hopetonbrown
11-16-17, 20:40
No dude you aren't. Glocks have injured thousands with Glock leg, Glock hasn't done anything about it for 25 years...

Jimjc, what is causing people to shoot themselves in the leg with a Glock that is unique to the design as opposed to a P320?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
11-16-17, 20:49
No dude you aren't. Glocks have injured thousands with Glock leg, Glock hasn't done anything about it for 25 years....Remington have killed many and injured more and didn't fix the issue for many years...Sig found a issue and had a fix for it in a few months and the guns are being fixed now at no cost to the owner.....huh

GTFO of here with that nonsense. If you’re dumb enough to shoot yourself in the leg you shouldn’t be in the possession of firearms.

Guns kill people too right?

jimjc
11-16-17, 21:05
Jimjc, what is causing people to shoot themselves in the leg with a Glock that is unique to the design as opposed to a P320?

The Glock trigger...... Glock leg didn't exist before Glock and the Glock trigger. If anyone doesn't believe it then list the guns that have caused the same injury.

hopetonbrown
11-16-17, 21:06
The Glock trigger...... Glock leg didn't exist before Glock and the Glock trigger. If anyone doesn't believe it then list the guns that have caused the same injury.What is different about the Glock trigger specifically? Why would the same thing not happen with a P320?

jimjc
11-16-17, 21:09
GTFO of here with that nonsense. If you’re dumb enough to shoot yourself in the leg you shouldn’t be in the possession of firearms.

Guns kill people too right?

So you say Glock leg existed before Glocks....Or do you say it doesn't exist at all, how many other guns have created this condition huh

jimjc
11-16-17, 21:18
What is different about the Glock trigger specifically? Why would the same thing not happen with a P320?

Did you ever hear "if it walks like a duck etc. etc. you know........So if a injury never existed before Glock and it's trigger and people keep getting injured with Glocks and it's trigger, then what can one concluded. it doesn't take a giant jump to realize what the problem is.

hopetonbrown
11-16-17, 21:23
Did you ever hear "if it walks like a duck etc. etc. you know........So if a injury never existed before Glock and it's trigger and people keep getting injured with Glocks and it's trigger, then what can one concluded. it doesn't take a giant jump to realize what the problem is.Before "Glock Leg" it was called "shooting yourself in the foot".

The term Glock Leg arose from the fact that Glock did not have a double action trigger or manual thumb safety, just like a P320.

For all intents and purposes, the Sig P320 and Glock have the same manual of arms, and nothing about the Sig would stop someone from shooting themselves in the foot with a Glock. I'm shocked that a man of your advanced years does not know this.