PDA

View Full Version : Anyone prefer a government profile barrel?

dirkmagurk
10-08-17, 12:54
Just curious if anyone on here actually prefers a government profiled barrel. I believe it's been confirmed that there is no real benefit to having a thicker profile towards the muzzle. Despite this there still seems to be no shortage of manufacturers producing this reverse taper barrel profile.

ColtSeavers
10-08-17, 12:59
Just curious if anyone on here actually prefers a government profiled barrel. I believe it's been confirmed that there is no real benefit to having a thicker profile towards the muzzle. Despite this there still seems to be no shortage of manufacturers producing this reverse taper barrel profile.

It's easier to copy than create.

Not a fan of the profile myself, have no gov profile barrel and never will.

ETA: I lied, I still have my old 6920's barrel in the back of my safe.

10-08-17, 14:26
To me there is a very slight accuracy and shootability benefit to it. The extra mass/weight damps harmonics and they do shoot slight, but measurable, and repeatably better groups than a comparable lightweight.

That extra weight out front makes it more stable to shoot.

I spent some time with a BCM 16" ELW upper with the original magnesium KMR and it was a bear to shoot well being so light and balanced so far back. My quad railed 6920s are much easier to shoot.

dirkmagurk
10-08-17, 16:59
I prefer the BCM ELW or comparable LW barrels and can't tell a difference in stability/shooting standing offhand. I can however tell a difference in handling characteristics, I'm able to transition between targets much faster and smoother with less weight out front.

jesuvuah
10-08-17, 19:16
To me there is a very slight accuracy and shootability benefit to it. The extra mass/weight damps harmonics and they do shoot slight, but measurable, and repeatably better groups than a comparable lightweight.

That extra weight out front makes it more stable to shoot.

I spent some time with a BCM 16" ELW upper with the original magnesium KMR and it was a bear to shoot well being so light and balanced so far back. My quad railed 6920s are much easier to shoot.That has not been my experience. My elw-f is one of best shooters. My only real gripe with light weight barrels is they have more poi shift when adding a suppressor.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

tehpwnag3
10-09-17, 13:16
I have no need for a M203 cut.

chuckman
10-09-17, 15:13
I have had a bunch of flavors of ARs; the only thing I have now are 6920s and a DDM4v1. Performance- and longevity-wise I can't tell a difference between a gov profile and any other. Definitely not a lightweight, but not so hefty to be burdensome at a 2- or 3-day class.