PDA

View Full Version : The "No Opinion" Contact Your Reps Bumpfire Stock Thread...

SteyrAUG
10-08-17, 20:32
Ok, not interested in how anyone feels about the issue. This thread is for links to contact your reps, sample letters, etc.

Right now the only one I have found is from the GOA.

https://www.cqrcengage.com/gunowners/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=404353

https://gunowners.org/alert100417.htm

Sadly I was unable to find a similar link on the NRA website. If anyone has one, please post it. If you have any similar "contact your reps" link from any other gun rights organization please post that as well.

Please do not post opinions of the item in question or what you believe the political strategy should be regarding the item in question.

Please keep this one on topic and thank you for doing your part.

SeriousStudent
10-08-17, 20:38

Please do not post opinions of the item in question or what you believe the political strategy should be regarding the item in question.

Excellent advice.

ST911
10-08-17, 20:49

Zero expectation that this will occur, but we'll give it a shot. First deviation, it will be merged.

26 Inf
10-08-17, 21:14
Question:

Does anyone know: What is more likely to be read and considered - a form letter, or one that is crafted personally?

I'm asking to determine how much effort should be expended in the aftermath of an event such as LV.

If responses are simply bundled into groups of: 'hates guns, more controls' and 'loves 2nd, no new controls' by some staffer then I'll just click on linked letters.

Somehow, I think that is the norm.

LoboTBL
10-08-17, 22:02
If you follow this link: www.house.gov/representatives/find/ you can enter your zip to contact your Congressman that way.

Not from a gun rights organization but is a link to find/contact and you can draft your own letter.

brushy bill
10-08-17, 22:47
Question:

Does anyone know: What is more likely to be read and considered - a form letter, or one that is crafted personally?

I'm asking to determine how much effort should be expended in the aftermath of an event such as LV.

If responses are simply bundled into groups of: 'hates guns, more controls' and 'loves 2nd, no new controls' by some staffer then I'll just click on linked letters.

In my experience, regardless of what you send them, the staffers don't read it. Instead, they merely reply with a pre-coordinated form letter that reiterates their political bosses' perspective. So if you send a "don't ban X" and they are ban oriented, you'll receive a reply of, "Like you, I agree we need additional controls to stop gun violence." I have to believe they do run some type of tally, but I don't think anyone really even notices what you sent in and aren't even trying to appear like they've actually read it. So, I'd send a form letter if you don't have time to waste.

SteyrAUG
10-08-17, 23:15
Question:

Typically they are just counted as for or against and a generic form letter sent in reply that desperately tries not to take any actual position.

Here is a copy / paste of a GOA letter you can use until you find something better.

Bump stocks were approved by the ATF during the Obama administration to help gun owners with disabilities fire their weapons. Any type of ban will be ignored by criminals and only serve to disarm honest citizens. Perhaps that’s why 91 percent of police believe a so-called “assault weapons” ban will have no effect or a negative effect on crime. And given that 95 percent of cops think that a ban on large capacity magazines would be ineffective in reducing violent crime, it’s hard to imagine they would regard bump stocks any differently.

It’s sad to see some Republicans quickly call for a vote on gun control, while delaying a vote on concealed carry reciprocity, H.R. 38. This is bipartisan legislation which will protect concealed carriers while they travel and which has been cosponsored by 212 law makers. If law makers want a vote on bump stocks, they should vote on reciprocity as well.”

Hope that helps.

Might as well call the NRA as well and let them know where they need to be.

1 (800) 672-3888

For everyone who ever complained that "The NRA calls me too much", time to return the favor.

26 Inf
10-09-17, 00:51
Hope that helps.

It did. Thanks.

Here's what I sent:

I am concerned about the heated rhetoric following the tragic events in Las Vegas last week.

As a gun owner and supporter of our Constitution it pains me to see many of my fellow American’s completely discounting the perpetrator’s murderous intent, rather focusing their anger on the mechanism used to carry out his murderous intent.

Bump stocks, an accessory most gun owners find little use for, were approved by the ATF during the Obama administration to help gun owners with disabilities fire their weapons.
Any type of ban on these accessories, or further limitations on the right to bear arms, will be ignored by criminals and only serve to disarm honest citizens.

As a former police officer and retired police trainer, I agree with the roughly 91 percent of police officers who believe a so-called “assault weapons” ban will have no effect or a negative effect on crime. I also side with the 95 percent of officers who believe that a ban on large capacity magazines would be ineffective in reducing violent crime. Based on those beliefs, I find it hard to imagine criminals would regard bump stocks any differently.

It’s sad to see some Republicans quickly call for a vote on gun control, while delaying a vote on concealed carry reciprocity, H.R. 38. This is bipartisan legislation which will protect concealed carriers while they travel and which has been cosponsored by 212 law makers.

If law makers want a vote on bump stocks, they should vote on reciprocity as well. Unlike the bump stock ban which is feel good legislation, reciprocity will give more citizens the ability to defend themselves from those with murderous intent.

Thank you,

hotrodder636
10-09-17, 06:04
The GOA page made it easy to send a letter to the office of POTUS and my local reps. Great idea on this Steyr. I will also being using the Facebook to present similar info to get the word out as best I can.

I think it would be worthwhile to add something in about bring the SHARE act back into play also.

Sry0fcr
10-09-17, 11:40
I find it easier to just call the local office.

SteyrAUG
10-09-17, 12:27
I find it easier to just call the local office.

By all means do that as well.

tb-av
10-09-17, 15:01
So I've emailed POTUS, and my pro-gun Congressman and sent money to GOA.

How do you guys approach your anti-"Representatives"?

I've got Tim Kaine and Mark Warner. The last time I contacted Kaine he thanked me and replied that he would be working for gun control on my behalf. Both Kaine and Warner are entrenched in the Liberal NoVA mindset. I'm certain they don't ever seen my views. I think it's pretty much just a clerical exercise to send an anti-gun reply to every contact made. It get's their point across either way. A big FU to me, and a fake pat on the back to their Liberal friends so they get more money.

SteyrAUG
10-09-17, 20:47
Another contact link from GOA.

https://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/app/write-a-letter?2&engagementId=405633&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxDh1mgYnNcTLzFM8e0uh8eEliaUzQoqg8axOqAWK2h8QIIsfVEYY6EhHXpijpYopHGOZTArkoo8qKEKM_RT4tJDCxPy3BHDUbVRy4VwlQpk4&lp=0

Seems like they are the only ones doing anything.

SteyrAUG
10-09-17, 20:49
So I've emailed POTUS, and my pro-gun Congressman and sent money to GOA.

How do you guys approach your anti-"Representatives"?

I've got Tim Kaine and Mark Warner. The last time I contacted Kaine he thanked me and replied that he would be working for gun control on my behalf. Both Kaine and Warner are entrenched in the Liberal NoVA mindset. I'm certain they don't ever seen my views. I think it's pretty much just a clerical exercise to send an anti-gun reply to every contact made. It get's their point across either way. A big FU to me, and a fake pat on the back to their Liberal friends so they get more money.

Sometimes it's a waste of time. I've had the same experience with Wasserman-Shultz.

Dist. Expert 26
10-12-17, 09:41
Just commenting so this moves back to the first page.

This bill is about more than bump stocks and will affect every single person on this forum.

Do your part and fight.

tgizzard
10-12-17, 09:45
Thank you for posting this. I’ll be contacting all my reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Det-Sog
10-12-17, 10:59

https://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/app/write-a-letter?2&engagementId=405633&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxDh1mgYnNcTLzFM8e0uh8eEliaUzQoqg8axOqAWK2h8QIIsfVEYY6EhHXpijpYopHGOZTArkoo8qKEKM_RT4tJDCxPy3BHDUbVRy4VwlQpk4&lp=0

Did it!

Averageman
10-12-17, 11:04
I'm seriously considering addressing this issue of the NRA wimping out on these issues to my gun club.
NRA Membership is mandatory, perhaps we should be backing the GOA instead?
This is bordering on an issue that will split the GOP and the NRA.

SteyrAUG
10-12-17, 13:41
Just commenting so this moves back to the first page.

This bill is about more than bump stocks and will affect every single person on this forum.

Do your part and fight.

Yeah, Feinstein / Pelosi crew is trying to wrap their entire gun control package into this one.

Dist. Expert 26
10-12-17, 14:46
Yeah, Feinstein / Pelosi crew is trying to wrap their entire gun control package into this one.

And they'll succeed if we can't form a united front to stop them.

Det-Sog
10-12-17, 15:04
I'm seriously considering addressing this issue of the NRA wimping out on these issues to my gun club. NRA Membership is mandatory, perhaps we should be backing the GOA instead? This is bordering on an issue that will split the GOP and the NRA.

This, and ANOTHER DAY of no alerts from the NRA on this issue. Are they throwing the black rifle people under the bus to save the Fudd guns??? They sure are quiet.

Dist. Expert 26
10-12-17, 15:20
https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/

Here's a contact form for NRA ILA. Let's let them know what we're thinking.

Det-Sog
10-12-17, 15:32
Good idea. I called yesterday and gave them an earful. I’ll write today.

ace4059
10-12-17, 16:22
Done deal.. I contacted my locals... senate, HR, president and NRA.

Added my on thoughts to the rough draft and included the SHARE ACT in the letter.

flenna
10-12-17, 19:34
Done deal.. I contacted my locals... senate, HR, president and NRA.

Added my on thoughts to the rough draft and included the SHARE ACT in the letter.

Same here, last week. And getting the same form letter responses I always get. " Thank you for contacting me. I have always been a 2nd amendment supporter. Yada, yada, yada". Definitely not the "Heck no I am not voting for any gun control!" I really wanted to hear.

SeriousStudent
10-12-17, 19:49

Ahem.

Focus, gentlemen. Focus.

grnamin
10-13-17, 15:03
I sent personal messages via Senators Cornyn and Cruz asking them not to support any gun control legislation. So far, Senator Cornyn (or someone in his office) responded:

Dear*Gregory:

Thank you for contacting me with your suggestions for federal firearms policy. I*appreciate having the benefit of your comments*and am encouraged that you and other concerned citizens are committed to reducing gun violence in America.

Like every Texan, I*want to prevent gun violence, and I believe this begins with fully enforcing existing gun laws.*Under the*Obama Administration, gun crimeprosecutions have dropped significantly. This is a starting point: going after the criminals and those who lie on their background checks.

The federal government has also not adequately enforced the 2007 NICS Improvement Amendments Act, a law that is supported by organizations ranging from the National Rifle Association to the Brady Campaign. Passed unanimously by Congress following the Virginia Tech shootings, this law requires states to submit the mental health records of individuals who are adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others in order to prevent them from legally*purchasing firearms. It is worth noting that Texas has received high marks from the Government Accountability Office for its compliance with the law. Texas*has shown how to make the necessary reforms while also protecting Second Amendment rights.

I also believe*addressing mental illness is another way to prevent gun violence.* On August 5, 2015, I introduced the Mental Health and Safe Communities Act of 2015 (S. 2002), parts of which were later included in the 21st Century Cures Act of 2016, which was signed into law last year (P.L. 114-255). This legislation will enhance the ability of local communities to identify and treat potentially dangerous, mentally-ill individuals. The law also includes reforms to increase the use of treatment-based alternatives for mentally-ill offenders, and improve crisis response and prevention by state and local law enforcement officials. The bill was endorsed by a diverse group of organizations, including the National Alliance on Mental Illness*and the National Association of Police Organizations.
This is the debate we should be having—a debate that focuses on the real root causes of mass violence, and a debate that addresses the perilous intersection of guns and mental illness. We can tackle these problems without curtailing Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to push for effective solutions that protect communities while preserving our constitutional liberties.

*I am always appreciative when Texans reach out and share their concerns. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator
517 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510

Tel: (202) 224-2934

Fax: (202) 228-2856

http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Please sign up for my monthly newsletter at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/newsletter.

PLEASE NOTE:

Due to the nature of electronic communication, if you did not receive this e-mail directly from my office, I cannot guarantee that the text has not been altered. If you have questions about the validity of this message, or would like to respond to this message, please use the web form available at my website, http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/contact.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

RetroRevolver77
10-13-17, 15:19
deleted.

SeriousStudent
10-13-17, 16:59
Enough. You are allowed to have an opinion. But since you brought it up, you specifically have a bad habit of creating a LOT of argumentative, baiting, and personal attack posts that get you banned.

Like now.

THREE Mod posts saying to follow the OP's advice, and you want to ignore them. Fine. Enjoy the vacation.

Dist. Expert 26
10-14-17, 12:47
Back to the top.

Keep those emails going.

hotrodder636
10-14-17, 13:00
Thank you, quick and easy!

boggyboy72
10-15-17, 11:48
For what it's worth.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/do-not-pass-hr3999

SteyrAUG
10-24-17, 16:08
Here we go again.

https://www.gunownersamerica.com/atf_petition/

26 Inf
10-24-17, 23:03
I meant to note that I got a reply from the White House acknowledging receipt.

I'm sure it was personally signed and the envelope contains traces of President Trump's DNA.

But, at least I was acknowledged.

SteyrAUG
10-25-17, 00:27
I meant to note that I got a reply from the White House acknowledging receipt.

I'm sure it was personally signed and the envelope contains traces of President Trump's DNA.

But, at least I was acknowledged.

Better than nothing, when I have my life in order again and I'm settled into the new place I think I'm going to be a GOA member.

Diamondback
10-25-17, 02:02
Pronounced Dead at federal level. The real fight is gonna be the states... Oregon already has a ban introduced, and the only thing stopping Washington is that our Legislature doesn't reconvene until next year barring Comrade Carpetbagging Crapsack Inslee calling a Special Session, which I wouldn't put past the ambulance-chasing little punkbitch.

Feline
10-25-17, 10:04
Pronounced Dead at federal level. The real fight is gonna be the states... Oregon already has a ban introduced, and the only thing stopping Washington is that our Legislature doesn't reconvene until next year barring Comrade Carpetbagging Crapsack Inslee calling a Special Session, which I wouldn't put past the ambulance-chasing little punkbitch.

Dead at federal level, as in executive or legislative branch, or both? Got a link?

Diamondback
10-25-17, 10:06
Dead at federal level, as in executive or legislative branch, or both? Got a link?
Version I hear is it's dead in the House.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/three-weeks-after-las-vegas-legislation-to-ban-bump-stocks-has-stalled-out-in-congress

Then again, I wouldn't trust Lyin' Ryan and his gang of Failure Theater grifters if he was strapped into an electric chair hotwired to a polygraph for instant "You Lie You Fry"...

Feline
10-25-17, 11:48
Version I hear is it's dead in the House.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/three-weeks-after-las-vegas-legislation-to-ban-bump-stocks-has-stalled-out-in-congress

Then again, I wouldn't trust Lyin' Ryan and his gang of Failure Theater grifters if he was strapped into an electric chair hotwired to a polygraph for instant "You Lie You Fry"...

Gun control is never dead. The RINOs will pass anything to save their hide. The Republic is dead.

Dist. Expert 26
11-05-17, 20:59
Might as well move this to the front page again.

titsonritz
05-12-18, 23:20
The state of Maryland has stumbled across a novel way to satisfy gun-control opponents: create a licensing process that cannot be put into practice.

Maryland lawmakers had sought to ban bump stocks, the controversial rifle accessory used in last year’s Las Vegas massacre. But in writing the law, a clause allowing some gun owners to keep them may have backfired. The new law allows bump stocks and other “rapid-fire trigger activators” to be owned by people who get special dispensation from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

But the federal agency has no process or authority to offer that dispensation and, indeed, was never even told of the Maryland law, the ATF told ABC News.

http://www.mycentraloregon.com/2018/05/10/atf-cant-save-bump-stock-owners-from-maryland-ban/

So basically, they would become the equivalent of a NFA item, NFA doesn't address bump stocks and there is no process to add them to the registry. Slick little bastards.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-13-18, 00:36
http://www.mycentraloregon.com/2018/05/10/atf-cant-save-bump-stock-owners-from-maryland-ban/

So basically, they would become the equivalent of a NFA item, NFA doesn't address bump stocks and there is no process to add them to the registry. Slick little bastards.

Exact wording on the law for 'special dispensation'. Seems like if you wrote the ATF a letter asking if they would allow you to own a bumpstock, doesn't that seem, well, special?

My guess is that they thought that there would be federal action by this time...