PDA

View Full Version : HMMWV vs EMP?

Slater
10-08-17, 22:39
I get it that the HMMWV has less electronics than modern designs, but isn't the vehicle's ignition system vulnerable to EMP?

"...You might want to go back to the Humvee. Why? Because it’s simpler. There are no electronic engine controls, no electronic braking, no circuitry that a sophisticated enemy could hack with malware, scramble with directed microwaves, or fry with the electromagnetic pulse from an atomic bomb or other source."

https://breakingdefense.com/2017/10/the-emp-proof-truck-am-general-doubles-down-on-humvee/

sundance435
10-08-17, 23:17
I think damage from an EMP is less serious than some believe it is. Small, delicate electronics with lots of circuits? Maybe, but I don't think you'd see much of an effect on a modern vehicle (though I'd be interested to know if hybrids and electric cars are more at risk). Someone/some group actually did a test that I've seen referenced in these types of discussions with vehicles from the 80s, 90s, and I think early 2000s. IIRC, there was no discernible effect on the more modern vehicles.

Moose-Knuckle
10-09-17, 04:55
I think damage from an EMP is less serious than some believe it is. Small, delicate electronics with lots of circuits? Maybe, but I don't think you'd see much of an effect on a modern vehicle (though I'd be interested to know if hybrids and electric cars are more at risk). Someone/some group actually did a test that I've seen referenced in these types of discussions with vehicles from the 80s, 90s, and I think early 2000s. IIRC, there was no discernible effect on the more modern vehicles.

Got a link to that test? I'd be interested in reading it.

As I understand it; if a CME was to hit modern vehicles should be unaffected in theory, if we're hit by a HEMP modern vehicles would be ****ed.

pinzgauer
10-09-17, 07:20
I get it that the HMMWV has less electronics than modern designs, but isn't the vehicle's ignition system vulnerable to EMP?

With classic diesels (pre common rail) there are no electronics. Diesels don't have an ignition system, and the fuel injection is mechanical. Only thing electrical is the starter and things like gauges.

Starters are big wires and contacts, normally survive emp fairly well.

Common rails would be more like traditional fuel injection, with a controller, Etc like gas vehicles. Have to armor;shield the brain and wiring. But still no ignition stuff. No diesel has that by definition.

Glow plugs are high current devices, could likely absorb any emp with no issue. And are mostly optional outside of Arctic cold.

Averageman
10-09-17, 08:24
It may survive EMP, but can it possibly survive the E-3 that maintains it?
I would seriously consider the amount of work required to bring one back to being even "trail worthy" before I paid more than a thousand dollars for one.

BrigandTwoFour
10-09-17, 19:51
EMP is a more serious threat to power grids and anything connected to them than to smaller isolated electronics.

The nature of the radio flash (the Brit term for it, which is more fitting) is that it basically turns things into antennas. The larger the antenna, the more charge it can take on from the pulse. With HMMWV, the engine itself would probably be fine. The questionable part is any attached radio antennas and how well shielded other components are from them.

RetroRevolver77
10-09-17, 20:17
So once the grid is fried, it's not like people wouldn't be cutting down telephone poles to block street traffic in case the occasional survivalist comes puttering by to bring them a trunk full of goodies.

sundance435
10-09-17, 21:08
Got a link to that test? I'd be interested in reading it.

As I understand it; if a CME was to hit modern vehicles should be unaffected in theory, if we're hit by a HEMP modern vehicles would be ****ed.

I'm pretty sure the test they refer to in this link is the one I was thinking of - early 2000s. http://futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

OH58D
10-09-17, 21:31
Ride a Horse. It's EMP Proof. Everything out here in the hinterlands of New Mexico is ready for an EMP. All of my wells for drinking water can use windmills to the power the pumps. Have a few medium sized Faraday Cages (boxes) to store critical electronic devices like hand crank radios and other devices.

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-17, 04:50
I'm pretty sure the test they refer to in this link is the one I was thinking of - early 2000s. http://futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Great, thank you for posting the link.