PDA

View Full Version : Info on Colt for a guy who’s never owned one

Swobe1
10-09-17, 15:00
Looking to get a new upper and I’ve always been a BCM guy. Upon perusing Brownells I found these:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-5-56-upper-receiver-assembly-w-o-front-sight-or-handguard-prod69545.aspx

I want a 14.5 hammer forged chrome lined barrel, and I’ve always read Colt is a top brand like BCM. I can get a rail I want and an MRO for well within my budget, but is this going to be the go to rifle I want? I can’t seem to find much info but I would imagine these are chrome lined and hammer forged and that they should be a top quality piece. Any info would help and I appreciate it! I work nights so won’t be able to check my phone much after but I’ll be checking as much as possible. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCLAfanBrian
10-09-17, 15:09
No sir Colt does not make cold hammer forged barrels. I would suggest BCM, Spikes Tactical, FN or Daniel defense if that is what you are looking for.

In all honesty you wouldn't wear out a standard button rifled chrome lined barrel in this lifetime anyways.

Wake27
10-09-17, 15:28
No sir Colt does not make cold hammer forged barrels. I would suggest BCM, Spikes Tactical, FN or Daniel defense if that is what you are looking for.

In all honesty you wouldn't wear out a standard button rifled chrome lined barrel in this lifetime anyways.

Did you really just recommend spikes tactical over a Colt OEM upper?

GH41
10-09-17, 15:44
What handguard are you looking at? Are you sure BCM doesn't sell a complete upper with the one you want installed? Is pinning/welding the MD of the colt in your budget? Why do you think you need a hammer forged barrel?

UCLAfanBrian
10-09-17, 15:49

If he really wants a chf barrel? Yes, the barrels are made by FN and G2G

grizzman
10-09-17, 15:54

Of course he did....Spikes does have the word "Tactical" in the name, so it must be top tier gear.

The statement that Colt's barrels aren't hammer forged is correct, though I agree that for the cash outlay, a Colt is hard to beat.

Wake27
10-09-17, 16:02
Ok sure. OP, I really prefer BCM but that upper will very likely work well for you. There have been threads on here of Colt barrels having better groups than BCM and Noveske IIRC.

UCLAfanBrian
10-09-17, 16:03
Of course he did....Spikes does have the word "Tactical" in the name, so it must be top tier gear.

The statement that Colt's barrels aren't hammer forged is correct, though I agree that for the cash outlay, a Colt is hard to beat.

Wow you got me pegged! I'm just some slack jawed yokel n00b who buys everything with the word tactical in it.....

Get off your gear elitism and your high horse. You don't know me I don't know you, so show some respect.

Ok sure. OP, I really prefer BCM but that upper will very likely work well for you. There have been threads on here of Colt barrels having better groups than BCM and Noveske IIRC.

Agreed. I always recommend the Colt Socom barrel but no one has asked OP what his intended purpose is. We don't know anything about him or why he needs chf. He might have auto sear, might plan on attending fifty classes this year, whatever but let's get him the info he wants.

grizzman
10-09-17, 16:15
Dude, if you thought I was being elitist, you seriously mis-read my post. It was not meant as a poke at you or Spikes Tactical....just seemed a bit odd for them to be included with BCM and DD. I guess I should have added a emoticon thingy that the younsters use these days to show that they're not being serious.

I am a fan of FN's CHF barrels, and have been running one for a few years now. I ordered another one last night.

MegademiC
10-09-17, 16:25
Centurion makes very good hammer forged barrels as well.

UCLAfanBrian
10-09-17, 16:25
Dude, if you thought I was being elitist, you seriously mis-read my post. It was not meant as a poke at you or Spikes Tactical....just seemed a bit odd for them to be included with BCM and DD. I guess I should have added a emoticon thingy that the younsters use these days to show that they're not being serious.

I am a fan of FN's CHF barrels, and have been running one for a few years now. I ordered another one last night.

Glad we are in agreement. I have three FN produced chf barrels as we speak. The FN lightweight mid and spikes "optimum" profile are the same damn as I could tell and both shoot lights out for me.

Also I did recommend he just got a standard chrome lined barrel as none of us can afford to shoot out a regular barrel in our lifetime and if you can afford that you can afford a new barrel.

Also yes I have a Noveske Infidel upper and it's damn accurate but my Colt socom upper is just as accurate and half the price.

Another great option would be to buy the upper half of a CCU off GB. I love my CCU rifle my only complaint it is very distinct step down along the rail on the top where the centurion arms handguard is compared to the flat top upper.

Swobe1
10-09-17, 16:27
I’m just a dude who wants the best I can get for my dollah. I AM currently in the process of (hopefully) becoming a LEO, but I don’t think that really has any bearing on my rifle at the moment. This will primarily be my main shooter, and will attend some classes. I’m not big on keymod or m-lok (gasp! The horror and shame of me not liking it!) so I was looking at adding a quad (as long as the picture was accurate and has a standard barrel nut). I know I won’t ever see a difference, probably, but when getting the best is so easily attainable why would a person not want the best barrel they can get. That being said, I’ve not studied up enough chf vs button broached.

ST911
10-09-17, 16:33
UCLAfanBrian- You have a PM to handle before any other posting activity.

grizzman
10-09-17, 16:40
I'll add that if you want to choose BCM, then you're making a great decision. I have three of their uppers, with one of them being a BFH government profile 16" with KMR-A. This has been my primary 5.56 rifle for a few years now, and it's been outstanding so far.

They're not widely available yet, but BCM's new picatinny rail should be a solid option. I don't blame you for choosing picatinny. I'm still running two of them, and have no plans to swap them out.

NYH1
10-09-17, 17:49
OP, BCM, FN and DD have good hammer forged barrels. I have a DD S2W 18" barrel that's a real shooter, it's on SPR (MK12ish type setup). I don't beat on it so it'll probably last a few lifetimes. As mentioned Colt barrels are good to go too. I'm a lot harder on my Colt barrel. So far so good.

Wasn't Spikes Tactical one of the extreme elitism price gougers during the last few scares? That alone should render them unmentionable here IMHO. ;)

Respectfully, NYH1.

Wake27
10-09-17, 20:08
I’m just a dude who wants the best I can get for my dollah. I AM currently in the process of (hopefully) becoming a LEO, but I don’t think that really has any bearing on my rifle at the moment. This will primarily be my main shooter, and will attend some classes. I’m not big on keymod or m-lok (gasp! The horror and shame of me not liking it!) so I was looking at adding a quad (as long as the picture was accurate and has a standard barrel nut). I know I won’t ever see a difference, probably, but when getting the best is so easily attainable why would a person not want the best barrel they can get. That being said, I’ve not studied up enough chf vs button broached.

A BCM upper with their QRF may be a solid investment then, because if you ever change your mind on the quad rail you can switch to a keymod or MLOK without changing the barrel nut.

MistWolf
10-09-17, 21:53
Looking to get a new upper and I’ve always been a BCM guy. Upon perusing Brownells I found these:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-5-56-upper-receiver-assembly-w-o-front-sight-or-handguard-prod69545.aspx

Colt uppers are a good choice. If you want one, they are much less on Gunbroker, around $475 with BCG and charging handle, no furniture. Although Colt barrels are not CHF, they are giving good service in M4s used by the military

RAM Engineer
10-10-17, 08:37
CHF barrels do have the potential to be more durable. Whether they ARE and whether they are any more or less ACCURATE is dependent on how well they're made. Colt has been making barrels for a LONG time and they know how to make one. I'll take a Colt barrel over a CHF barrel any day of the week, unless it's a Diemaco barrel, which is both Colt and CHF.

hotrodder636
10-10-17, 09:36
As suggested, either the Colt or the BCM would be solid options. A member here had made some posts showing the accuracy of a factory Colt barrel. I think some were surprised that the Colt OEM barrel is plenty accurate and are know to have a good lifespan.

Wake27 mentioned the ability to swap rails without swapping the barrel but in the BCM...that could be a plus if you do ever decide to change over to an MLOK or KM.

_Stormin_
10-10-17, 10:17

In no way should the company turning out these turds:
https://gun.deals/sites/default/files/spikes-tactical-jack-lower.jpg
be recommended in the same breath as BCM/DD/Colt, CHF or not.
There are plenty of companies turning out CHF barrels (if thats a requirement for the OP) that don't propagate the fudd-culture. It's like a "don't feed the bears" policy.

Feline
10-10-17, 10:35
There are plenty of companies turning out CHF barrels (if thats a requirement for the OP) that don't propagate the fudd-culture. It's like a "don't feed the bears" policy.

Hey, don't $hit on my go-to lower.

Hank6046
10-10-17, 11:56

Finally!! A lower that matches my Affliction T-shirts and lack of self-esteem...

Go with a BCM, for CHF and the money they are probably the best way to go.

Swobe1
10-10-17, 13:11
I also found they have a DD 16” complete upper with their m4 rail that I am also considering. Here is another question: if I want a 14.5 barrel, why couldn’t I just buy all the parts there and put it together? Use a dd upper, barrel, gas block, etc. Finding a 14.5 upper group is surprisingly tough unless I do BCM, which I have no problem with, but Brownells is 45 minutes away and I can get same day buying satisfaction!

kenny256
10-10-17, 13:54
Westernsport.com has daniel defense uppers with quadrails ready to go. Might check them out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sry0fcr
10-10-17, 16:15
I also found they have a DD 16” complete upper with their m4 rail that I am also considering. Here is another question: if I want a 14.5 barrel, why couldn’t I just buy all the parts there and put it together? Use a dd upper, barrel, gas block, etc. Finding a 14.5 upper group is surprisingly tough unless I do BCM, which I have no problem with, but Brownells is 45 minutes away and I can get same day buying satisfaction!

Because that 1.5" is the difference between freedom and federal prison. You can buy it and assemble it, you just need to permanent install a muzzle device to make the barrel a full 16"+ unless you want to get together with the BATFE and manufacture a short barreled rifle.

scottryan
10-10-17, 16:16
OP,

You do not need a CHF barrel.

The rail, gas block selection, gas port size, and barrel brand are more important than CHF.

Sry0fcr
10-10-17, 16:22
OP,

The rail, gas block selection, gas port size, and barrel brand are more important than CHF.

This.

Truth be told, the primary advantages to hammer forged barrels only really show if you're fielding thousands of guns and blasting through millions of rounds.

Stickman
10-10-17, 16:45
Wow you got me pegged! I'm just some slack jawed yokel n00b who buys everything with the word tactical in it.....

Get off your gear elitism and your high horse. You don't know me I don't know you, so show some respect.

Respect is earned here via legitimate posting. Looks like you got off on the wrong foot here.

ginzomatic
10-10-17, 17:04
Can't go wrong with Colt OP.. and as many previously said, probably not necessary to get wrapped around the CHF axel.

I can tell you from owning/shooting DD, BCM, and a Colt, the Colt is the most accurate and well balanced- and by far the cheapest. Buy that upper with confidence

Animalhd1
10-10-17, 17:06

I ordered a 14.5” BCM complete upper with PW A2X FH last year, it was delivered in 3 days. I got the standard M4 not BFH and it is freakin awesome.

Swobe1
10-10-17, 17:24
OP,

This is what I want to know. I’m not new to AR’s by any means. I understand them well, but I’m just not familiar with Colt. So does Colt have all those things and I shouldn’t be too concerned about it. If I can throw a good rail on it, I’m strongly considering it.

Animalhd1
10-10-17, 17:57
This is what I want to know. I’m not new to AR’s by any means. I understand them well, but I’m just not familiar with Colt. So does Colt have all those things and I shouldn’t be too concerned about it. If I can throw a good rail on it, I’m strongly considering it.

The Colt would be great I have both and both are more accurate than me. If you really want the 14.5” (which I love mine) the BCM you can get already set up and pinned and welded. I don’t see that as an option on those Colts? You would apparently have to buy the extended FH and have it done?

Stickman
10-10-17, 18:12
OP,

This is worth repeating, and I wish more people understood this. The specs the weapon is held to is what counts.

Swobe1
10-10-17, 18:13
The Colt would be great I have both and both are more accurate than me. If you really want the 14.5” (which I love mine) the BCM you can get already set up and pinned and welded. I don’t see that as an option on those Colts? You would apparently have to buy the extended FH and have it done?

I want the 14.5”, but until my lower is stamped, it will have to be pinned. I can get that done easy, but flash hider will have to be changed. Also, looking at it and a little more research is showing a delta ring instead of a barrel nut. I’ll do more looking down there. I might do the 16” and then build a 12.5” when my lower is stamped. Will update more tomorrow afternoon!

Feline
10-10-17, 19:25
OP,

This is true for 99% of shooters.

scottryan
10-10-17, 21:12
I want the 14.5”, but until my lower is stamped, it will have to be pinned. I can get that done easy, but flash hider will have to be changed. Also, looking at it and a little more research is showing a delta ring instead of a barrel nut. I’ll do more looking down there. I might do the 16” and then build a 12.5” when my lower is stamped. Will update more tomorrow afternoon!

How about let's not pin the flash hider.

They are a waste of time and money. They are too hard to service.

Spend the time getting the lower registered as an SBR.

DGB
10-10-17, 22:25
I am a very big fan of both Colt and BCM and own numerous offerings from both. That being said, my BCM BFH 14.5" shot a 5/8" 5 round 100 yard group with match ammo. More then once. It shoots better then my BCM 16" 410 stainless. It's free floated and had a pretty good Nightforce scope on it when I tested accuracy. I do not yet have a thousand rounds on the barrel, so I cannot attest to durability, but if its anything like a 14.5" BCM pencil barrel I have (over 8,000 rounds and still 3 1/2 MOA) I would bet it will be good. One of my Colt 6920's with an ACOG shot just under 1 MOA with match ammo. This AR has almost 11,000 rounds on it, has the large trigger pin lower receiver, and a bunch of them 11,000 rounds were steel cased Wolf. It's factory, including trigger, except for Duracoat.

MistWolf
10-10-17, 22:38
How about let's not pin the flash hider.

They are a waste of time and money. They are too hard to service.

Spend the time getting the lower registered as an SBR.

For a guy like me, pinning and unpinning the muzzle device ain't no thing. Even so, I've come to a place where I'd rather have a pinned 14.5" barrel than an unpinned 16". There are advantages to having a pinned 14.5 over an SBR, such as not needing a passport for each state, or for those caught behind enemy lines. Not that I'm against going SBR.

Swobe1
10-11-17, 16:00
Well, once there and I could look at the two, I decided on the 14.5 colt and got a Centurian rail. Once together will post a pic.

SiGfever
10-11-17, 16:05
Well, once there and I could look at the two, I decided on the 14.5 colt and got a Centurian rail. Once together will post a pic.

Congratulations, great decision!

Animalhd1
10-11-17, 16:16

That will be a great set up.

Swobe1
10-12-17, 16:25
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171012/0135a7e9723624a26b2d368fed895fc2.jpg
Here she is. Had to remove the delta ring, but now she’s ready to rock once I get the muzzle figured out. When I bought it we measured four times and it is right at 16”, but I’m going to take it my former shop (he decided to stop selling guns and travel with his wife) and double check again. I’m probably going to throw a BCM on there just to be safe.

As of right now she is going to sit and wait until it’s all figured out before she gets any rounds through it, but I’m pretty damn happy.

gaijin
10-12-17, 16:39
Nice.

teksid
10-12-17, 16:55
Nice. My 14.5" Colt with the 1.5" BCM Mod1 comp. is my favorite AR.

Swobe1
10-19-17, 13:06
Quick follow up, after I measured before getting the current hider pinned, I came up with 15 7/8”, so glad I measured. On goes a PWS Triad gen 2! Getting welded tonight or tomorrow! Will post up pics when done!