PDA

View Full Version : Accubond tips brittle with age.

markm
10-10-17, 18:03
Sunday Pappabear and I dragged out his hunting 300 WM to confirm zero, etc. When he popped open the 50 round plastic ammo box, I saw that about 4 of the white tips were missing or broken. (This ammo is from last year's hand loading.)

As he shot the gun some, he had a tip break off and cause the next round not to chamber. At that point he ran his fingers over the remaining ammo in the box and a few more of the tips easily broke off.

I'll get some pics up tonight. Has anyone ever experienced this? This isn't ammo he can afford to jam up his gun if an Elk is ready to be harvested.

Coal Dragger
10-10-17, 19:38
I've not experienced it and have plenty of Accubonds on hand. Some approaching 7 years old.

Will report back.

grizzman
10-10-17, 19:54
I hope your experience is a fluke. I'm considering using them for my 6.8.

LoboTBL
10-10-17, 22:26
Just loaded a year ago? I know that many plastics will deteriorate over time but that seems like a very short time for it to occur. Were they stored in a climate controlled area? Were they subjected to high heat (left in a trunk or similar location) for any length of time?

gaijin
10-11-17, 05:23
Never had that problem. Hope it's not a "thing" with Accubonds now.

I have hunting ammo in .30 and 7mm with Accubonds that has been loaded for several years and have never experienced this.

markm
10-11-17, 11:33
https://i.imgur.com/lWQG4Hi.jpg

gaijin
10-11-17, 12:06
That's severe.

I'd contact Nosler- show them that photo. Like to think they'd make it right with you.
Not sure how'd you could be compensated for the reloading time, other components and pissed off quotient.

markm
10-11-17, 12:48
Pappabear called Nosler. They're sending him some bullets. I doubt we'll come out even, but at least they're doing something.

Pappabear
10-11-17, 21:23
yep , Nosler was good people about it. I think they had seen it a time or two but was a rare occasion. Anywho, he was cool and offered to send me a some bullets. Thats all they can do.

Im satisfied to be a customer.

PB

ghostly
10-11-17, 21:29
I had some ABs do that around 2014. They were 1 year old and .30 cal. Glad they made right on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.56 Bonded SP
10-11-17, 22:17
I've seen that happen with accubonds as well years ago. It wasn't old ammo either. I've never seen the problem with any other variety of Nosler ballistic tips.

jaholder
10-13-17, 20:13
I had some very early Hornady AMax bullets do that, 75 grain .224". Hornady's response was "Meh."

Once Sierra came out with the 77 Matchking I no longer shoot Hornady bullets.

ghostly
10-13-17, 20:17
Also to add, rather than throw them away, I just used them for fouling shots following a deep clean.

markm
10-14-17, 10:59
Yeah... we'll end up slinging them. It was interesting. Pappabear shot 2 or 3 at our 1000 yard target, and without that tip, they ran out of a lot of ass. Our spot is relatively flat, so I couldn't quantify the come up loss, but it was definitely there.

I think the guy at Nosler told Pappabear that inside of 300 it wouldn't matter. however his last two Elk were shot at 535 yards and 450 +/- yards.

markm
10-23-17, 16:43
Follow up:

Nosler sent Pappabear 30 replacement bullets. :confused:

Pappabear
10-23-17, 17:44
That's severe.

I'd contact Nosler- show them that photo. Like to think they'd make it right with you.
Not sure how'd you could be compensated for the reloading time, other components and pissed off quotient.

They didn't even come close, I think the guy reluctantly sent 30. So on with ELD's. You would think with such a competitive market they would care more. If your Mr Nosler Accubond, you must think you don't need to. How do you decide to send 30, I can't imagine its not easier to send a note to customer service and say, "Send a box".

Blessing in disguise, now I have 220 ELD's that are flying awesome for my hunt.

PB

ghostly
10-23-17, 17:52
That's quite an insult. Poor CS. I use LR Accubonds on my hunting rifle. They are shooting 2" for me at 500 yards. If not for that, I'd love to try the new ELD-X and still may.

markm
10-23-17, 18:18
Not the end of the world. The ELD X proved to sub right into the Accubond's place. I'm not turning my back on Nosler. 30 bullets might be a lot to some hunter who only zeros and hunts with his gun. We shoot the living shit out of some guns and ammo.