PDA

View Full Version : Army tries "pinks and greens"

Slater
10-11-17, 05:32
I guess everything old is new again (or maybe someone's been watching "Band Of Brothers" reruns):

https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-army/2017/10/10/youre-not-seeing-things-soldiers-at-ausa-are-wearing-prototype-pinks-and-greens/

Eurodriver
10-11-17, 06:07
I don’t get why the army changes their uniform so often. The Marines have had the same dress blues for over a century. The service uniforms haven’t changed - at all - since at least WWII and it’s been very slight at that.

In my lifetime alone I have seen the Army change it’s cammies 4x and it’s dress and service uniform at least twice.

Endur
10-11-17, 06:12
The intent is not to replace the ASU's, but to create an informal uniform meant to replace wear of ACU's around garrison. Some crap like that. I personally think they look great.

Firefly
10-11-17, 06:42
You know what.....I like it. I do.

Instead of looking like Yankee soldiers or bus drivers, they look like all they need is a pipe, classic aviators, and a 1911 and the world, literally, had best watch out.

Slater
10-11-17, 07:06
Didn't the original WW2-era jackets have a waist belt?

chuckman
10-11-17, 07:33
I like it. I think, like the Navy, the Army changes uniforms about as much as my bat-shi* mother-in-law changes her mind, but this one is nice. Edited to add, I really dig the brown shoes.

sinister
10-11-17, 07:43
Yes, and they look great unless you're fat.

Buckaroo
10-11-17, 07:48
Yes, and they look great unless you're fat.Maybe this is a good thing....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Slater
10-11-17, 07:53
I suppose they could always throw in a Sam Browne belt for the officers.

ABNAK
10-11-17, 08:18
Not fond of the brown shoes. I cut my teeth on the black low-quarters back in the day; I just think they'd look sharper. That uniform with bloused jump boots for units on Airborne status (82nd, 173rd, Rangers, SF, etc.) would look sharp.

chuckman
10-11-17, 08:21
Not fond of the brown shoes. I cut my teeth on the black low-quarters back in the day; I just think they'd look sharper. That uniform with bloused jump boots for units on Airborne status (82nd, 173rd, Rangers, SF, etc.) would look sharp.

Brown boots a la WWII?? :)

docsherm
10-11-17, 08:32
I like the idea. They are just replacing the Dress Green uniform that they should have never removed.

And Euro- 3 different BDUs - Woodland, ACU, and OCP.......... you are correct that the USMC has had 4 in the same time frame- Woodland, Woodland MARPAT, Desert MARPAT, and snow-patterned MARPAT......... ;)

chuckman
10-11-17, 08:55
I like the idea. They are just replacing the Dress Green uniform that they should have never removed.

And Euro- 3 different BDUs - Woodland, ACU, and OCP.......... you are correct that the USMC has had 4 in the same time frame- Woodland, Woodland MARPAT, Desert MARPAT, and snow-patterned MARPAT......... ;)

The snow-pattern MARPAT was a organizational issue, not a service-wide issue. You wanna know how I know? Cause as a corpsman I had two seabags, my Navy one, and my Marine one with Charlies, etc. So if the Corps had another uniform, I would have had it because I had to keep up with more GD uniforms than half of the armies in Europe.

ABNAK
10-11-17, 08:59
Brown boots a la WWII?? :)

Yeah, I see where you're coming from but spit-shined BLACK boots or shoes have a special place in my heart!

ABNAK
10-11-17, 09:00

Amen to that! The Civil War/Wild West Cavalry look they switched to with the current blues was like WTF?

docsherm
10-11-17, 09:06
The snow-pattern MARPAT was a organizational issue, not a service-wide issue. You wanna know how I know? Cause as a corpsman I had two seabags, my Navy one, and my Marine one with Charlies, etc. So if the Corps had another uniform, I would have had it because I had to keep up with more GD uniforms than half of the armies in Europe.

So you got the SUPER COOL Navy (no idea of its real name) Water Camo? :jester: At least it is not as bad as the AF tiger-stripe sky pattern..... LOL

ABNAK
10-11-17, 09:16
So you got the SUPER COOL Navy (no idea of its real name) Water Camo? :jester:

When I first saw those I recall thinking that if I was floating out in the ocean 'cause my ship just sunk I wouldn't want to "blend in". I'd want to be seen clear as day!

Averageman
10-11-17, 09:16
I've got a great idea, lets worry a lot less about our uniforms by putting some damned coveralls on and going out and working on our vehicles.
That way the Warrant Officers won't have to come up with more fiction than Steven King to keep the OR rate above 90%.

Uniforms.....really?
Your Pinks and Greens will be back home in the closet when the walls get breached and your shit is totally inoperative.

ABNAK
10-11-17, 09:18
I've got a great idea, lets worry a lot less about our uniforms by putting some damned coveralls on and going out and working on our vehicles.
That way the Warrant Officers won't have to come up with more fiction than Steven King to keep the OR rate above 90%.

Uniforms.....really?
Your Pinks and Greens will be back home in the closet when the walls get breached and your shit is totally inoperative.

2404 much?

:p

TAZ
10-11-17, 09:26
Whew.... it’s awesome to think that everyone has all the training they need to fight a war, spare parts for equipment.... so that we can now focus on ancillary stuff.

ColtSeavers
10-11-17, 09:31
I like it.

But I wonder how long it'll be until my dress greens come back into fashion.

chuckman
10-11-17, 09:57
So you got the SUPER COOL Navy (no idea of its real name) Water Camo? :jester: At least it is not as bad as the AF tiger-stripe sky pattern..... LOL

LOL...that was after my time. I was still woodland cammies/jungle boots (followed by MARPAT); poopie suits (blue overalls) and dungarees for shipboard use. Never got those hideous blue/gray cammies.

Averageman
10-11-17, 09:57
2404 much?

:p
No, lots of 5988's are scribbled on, just very few wrenches and sockets turning.
The Army has a screwed up sense of priorities when there is a committee of at least 50 always on the search for a new way to screw up your clothing allowance, but can we build a team to inspect Maintenance as in the old days?
These guys believe they will get new vehicles every time they deploy.
That's going to be a kick in the nuts one day.
We will look so cool when it happens though.

26 Inf
10-11-17, 10:07
I suppose they could always throw in a Sam Browne belt for the officers.

And a batman for every commissioned officer, got to have a batman.

Next thing these fools will do is break out the old stock of helmet liners so we can polish them up and run through Europe with ivory gripped six shooters.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-11-17, 11:09
That is the best looking uniform, aside from the USMC Dress Blues, in our military. I say bring it back and make it official.

However; if it is intended to be worn around garrison, I think that is silly. I went through the last bit of Gen. Amos' "awakening" and had to wear my chucks or bravos around work for a bit. That was beyond stupid.

Slater
10-11-17, 11:12
Now if we could only get the USAF to go back to their previous Service Dress uniform from the current "insurance salesman" look.

ABNAK
10-11-17, 11:44
That is the best looking uniform, aside from the USMC Dress Blues, in our military. I say bring it back and make it official.

However; if it is intended to be worn around garrison, I think that is silly. I went through the last bit of Gen. Amos' "awakening" and had to wear my chucks or bravos around work for a bit. That was beyond stupid.

I still think the USMC forest green uniform looks better than the blues. YMMV

Coal Dragger
10-11-17, 12:30

So glad I got out before the Gay-mos years. I've heard stories about that idiot and his bullshit.

Coal Dragger
10-11-17, 12:32
Now if we could only get the USAF to go back to their previous Service Dress uniform from the current "insurance salesman" look.

So they will go from insurance salesman look back to municipal bus driver uniforms? Sounds good to me.

Slater
10-11-17, 12:40
So they will go from insurance salesman look back to municipal bus driver uniforms? Sounds good to me.

The previous uniform looked essentially like the old Army Green outfit. You know, with pockets and epaulets. McPeak didn't like it so he created the current disaster.

SteyrAUG
10-11-17, 13:30
I kinda dig it.

Averageman
10-11-17, 14:18
The best uniform.they had going was the Khakis.
It just simply worked very well for traveling, for duties requiring a more formal than fatigues look and they wore well and we're inexpensive.
Well DA can't have any of that crap so off they went in like 1982.

ABNAK
10-11-17, 14:22
The best uniform.they had going was the Khakis.
It just simply worked very well for traveling, for duties requiring a more formal than fatigues look and they wore well and we're inexpensive.
Well DA can't have any of that crap so off they went in like 1982.

The full khaki uniform (with coat) looked pretty slick too. I'm talking about the Class A ones, not the B's you're referring to, although those looked good also. The B khakis went out a year or so before I went in ('83) but the Class A ones went out during the Vietnam era IIRC.

Firefly
10-11-17, 14:29
I now demand all GIs wearing this to smoke Luckies, talk like old time radio, and wear aviators.

Also open carry 1911s or Smith 27s.

All females should have shorter hem and talk like Katharine Hepburn.

Then we could finally make headway into making America great again.

ColtSeavers
10-11-17, 14:36
I now demand all GIs wearing this to smoke Luckies, talk like old time radio, and wear aviators.

Also open carry 1911s or Smith 27s.

All females should have shorter hem and talk like Katharine Hepburn.

Then we could finally make headway into making America great again.

I say we put a stop to this first:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/images/2017/07/chelsea-manning-twitter-4-650x858.jpg

ABNAK
10-11-17, 14:40
I say we put a stop to this first: XXXXXXXX

Thanks, I can't un-see that. :bad:

Firefly
10-11-17, 14:56
I seen some shit in my life but I didn't need to see that

Slater
10-11-17, 15:02
USAF khakis ("1505's") went out in 1979. At 100% cotton they were hard to keep looking good.

titsonritz
10-11-17, 16:10
I say we put a stop to this first:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/images/2017/07/chelsea-manning-twitter-4-650x858.jpg

That dude makes one ugly bitch.

Coal Dragger
10-11-17, 17:27
No that dude looks ugly in a dress. He's not a she just because he had is dick turned into a pocket pussy.

pinzgauer
10-11-17, 18:27
Hey maybe back to the cordovan (burgandyish-brown) corcorans? Everyone knows you don't wear black with khaki or Olive.

This will piss my son off to no end, as they have to pay for their own stuff, and it's an unwritten rule that they all dress alike. This will end up being a k-buck for him. Jacket, 2 trousers, multiple shirts, new corcorans, tailoring, and insignia

They really don't want a reason to wear something other than ACU's in Garrison.

ASU has grown on me, especially as I learned that the official color of the US Army is blue, and has been since it started.

The medium blue pants are different enough that it avoids the bus driver look.

sgtrock82
10-11-17, 18:46
Not too shabby, much better than the greens AND the blues. Not sure about daily garrison wear though.

They kicked this idea around back in the 90s but they were thinking more ad long the lines of the waist length "ike" jacket which looks even better IMO and might make it a bit better of a garrison uniform. Id take the opportunity to dump the stupid F***ing bus driver service cap forever. C*nt caps for everyone!!!

My opinion now out of the way.... wtf the army got nothing better to spend money on. Personally I hate(d) dress uniforms... a rotten waste of time money and effort that would be better spent doing anything remotely war related.... seriously. I also hated having to explain to everyone over and over how half the ish on my jacket had nothing to do with me or anything I was even alive for. F***in Flair. Ribbons for nothing and the stripes were free

chuckman
10-12-17, 07:27
This will piss my son off to no end, as they have to pay for their own stuff.....

Officers used to get a stipend; when I got my commission, it was $400 (which only covered about 1/3 the cost of my officers' seabag).

Averageman
10-12-17, 11:11
Officers used to get a stipend; when I got my commission, it was $400 (which only covered about 1/3 the cost of my officers' seabag).

On several occasions I did the Math, this eats years worth of clothing allowance every time someone at DA makes a fashion statement.
The funniest thing I ever saw was a young Trooper checking the transmission oil on a tank with a black beret, "I found a use for it, I found a use for it!" was all he had to say.

Endur
10-12-17, 11:21
I think these should completely replace the the ASU's but not likely to happen. I think they look better than any dress uniform in use too; the Corps greens/khaki's in second. The waist belt should be utilized for formal occasions and for DS's. Bring back the taco shell and leave the beret for mass formations and an in between formal/non-formal, with the service cap strickley for formal. The brown shoes are far better looking than black.

I might pick up a set if they do come out simply to set up with my I love me flair and place in a shadow box.

chuckman
10-12-17, 12:16
On several occasions I did the Math, this eats years worth of clothing allowance every time someone at DA makes a fashion statement.
The funniest thing I ever saw was a young Trooper checking the transmission oil on a tank with a black beret, "I found a use for it, I found a use for it!" was all he had to say.

Yes, yes it does; particularly frustrating when you don't even wear some of the uniforms you are required to have.

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-17, 05:28

Yup, the old Ike jackets did.

However on these new ones they should just include a PT belt sewn in.

Averageman
10-13-17, 10:01
Perhaps my aversion to the whole idea of a new uniform is that, it really shouldn't be that big a deal.
I will go back to what Euro mentioned several pages earlier, if I may paraphrase,
"The Marine Corps Dress Uniform hasn't changed in 200 Years."
Now I can't say why that might be, but I like that. It's tradition that brings about a lot of pride, but underneath all of that, there is some real practicality to the whole idea of keeping what works.
You'll observe from the OP's article, that the Army could have avoided this whole mess by not changing Army uniforms sixty years ago.
Makes you go "Hmmmmm" don't it??

chuckman
10-13-17, 10:42
I will go back to what Euro mentioned several pages earlier, if I may paraphrase, "The Marine Corps Dress Uniform hasn't changed in 200 Years." Now I can't say why that might be, but I like that.

The US Marines were heavily influenced by dress and tactics of the Royal Marines. Tradition is very big to the Royal Marines (as it is to royal anything), and it has carried over.

pinzgauer
10-14-17, 12:07
My current understanding is that they do not in the Army, and unfortunately my son's on a deployment so can't ping him. Maybe other Army officers currently serving anything comment.

What I do know is that the shift to the multicam ACU's was totally out of his pocket no compensation. Same for jump boots, different Beret, etcetera.

He's probably spent a couple of grand in the first two years as an officer on uniforms and required gear, and that's excluding Ranger school boots, uniforms, gear that gets trashed.

I do recall West Point had mandatory saving for the cheapest minimal set of ASUs for commissioning. It was not a stipend, it was a forced savings hold back. To get the ones you really wanted was substantially more. Pretty expensive for young LT who will wear that uniform four to five times a year if that. Certain School graduations(bolc), and hail / farewell gatherings. One unit ball a year.

They virtually never wear the ASU in Garrison unless it's a formal and public function. But even a lot of those are in ACU.

chuckman
10-14-17, 16:42
My current understanding is that they do not in the Army, and unfortunately my son's on a deployment so can't ping him. Maybe other Army officers currently serving anything comment.

What I do know is that the shift to the multicam ACU's was totally out of his pocket no compensation. Same for jump boots, different Beret, etcetera.

He's probably spent a couple of grand in the first two years as an officer on uniforms and required gear, and that's excluding Ranger school boots, uniforms, gear that gets trashed.

I do recall West Point had mandatory saving for the cheapest minimal set of ASUs for commissioning. It was not a stipend, it was a forced savings hold back. To get the ones you really wanted was substantially more. Pretty expensive for young LT who will wear that uniform four to five times a year if that. Certain School graduations(bolc), and hail / farewell gatherings. One unit ball a year.

They virtually never wear the ASU in Garrison unless it's a formal and public function. But even a lot of those are in ACU.

I was in the Navy, and I was commissioned in 2003, so yeah, things may be different since that time and certainly in the Army. But I sure feel for your son, I know what it's like to spend $2,000 on uniforms that will either hang in a closet, or be outdated in the near future. I had some Navy uniforms I was required to have, that I never wore.

Spiffums
10-15-17, 14:25
Makes me think of Steve Trevor on the TV show Wonder Woman.

Sry0fcr
10-17-17, 11:01
Just reminds me how goddamned awful the current ASU is...