PDA

View Full Version : Free-Float Rails/tubes that use the USGI barrel nut?

RAM Engineer
10-12-17, 10:41
I'm looking for a good quality FF rail (Picatinny or MLok) that use the USGI barrel nut for use on a Colt OEM2. I know of these, but I'm not sure what else is out there:

MI Gen2 Two Piece FF
Centurion Arms C4
Troy MRF
Troy Revolution Carbon Fiber
Troy SOCC
Troy Alpha
Troy Bravo
Troy Charlie
Troy Delta

Any recommendations among this list? I guess the Troy SOCC is the newest.

markm
10-12-17, 10:49
I like Centurion a lot. I'd LOVE them if the bottom pic rail wasn't so tall. If they made those with the RIS II profile, I'd put them on all my guns.

RAM Engineer
10-12-17, 10:57
I like Centurion a lot. I'd LOVE them if the bottom pic rail wasn't so tall. If they made those with the RIS II profile, I'd put them on all my guns.

Yes, I think the tall bottom rail is the only complaint I've seen about the C4. I'm not sure if they did that to accommodate a bayonet lug or if they just did it for production purposes (mirror top rail for ease of manufacturing).

joeyjoe
10-12-17, 11:29
completely agree, Markm. I don't understand why these companies insist on producing tall ass rails?
If Stickman's measurements are correct, the new BCM quad is going to be a bit on the tall side, as well (2.375...according to stickman). Damn. I love the profile of the RIS II and, as a close second, the DDM4 rail. That said, of the available rails that are capable of attaching to the USGI barrel nut, id still choose the C4. I wouldn't fiddle with any Troy kit, but that's just me.

Endur
10-12-17, 11:36
The C4 is where it is at as far as utilizing the standard barrel but. Looks great too.

dmd08
10-12-17, 11:36
Samson also makes rails using the standard barrel nut.

amac
10-12-17, 12:13
Nothing to add but disdain for the proprietary barrel nut system! I've got an KAC quad rail that I could never swap because of their proprietary nut and wrench. Actually quite glad now because I love that thing! ;) Bye bye slick, slim tubes.

titsonritz
10-12-17, 12:50
A DD Omega rail will work also. I personally like the Centurion C4.

markm
10-12-17, 13:45
A DD Omega rail will work also. I personally like the Centurion C4.

Another great option ruined by the tall bottom pic rail. DD's I beam extrusions being the worst of all of them. (no the RIS, but the old DD lite, omega, etc.)

RAM Engineer
10-12-17, 14:09
completely agree, Markm. I don't understand why these companies insist on producing tall ass rails?
If Stickman's measurements are correct, the new BCM quad is going to be a bit on the tall side, as well (2.375...according to stickman). Damn. I love the profile of the RIS II and, as a close second, the DDM4 rail.

Larue and the original KAC RAS have really good cross-sections as well.

RAM Engineer
10-12-17, 14:09
I'm really tempted to try one of those Troy SOCC rails...

RCI1911
10-12-17, 14:51
Fortis Manufacturing makes a free float rail that uses a standard barrel nut; the REV II. I have one on one of my carbines and it is light weight but durable and is of high quality.
https://fortismfg.com/rails/rev%20II

RAM Engineer
10-12-17, 16:45

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200646-Info-on-Colt-for-a-guy-who%92s-never-owned-one/page3

Is it just an optical illusion, or does the C4 in this photo look like the bottom rail isn't quite so tall?

markm
10-12-17, 16:50
Larue and the original KAC RAS have really good cross-sections as well.

LaRue's extrusion is too thin under the top rail. I had one with a fixed front sight, and it smashed and bent the rail out of whack. I kinda got it bent back, but never could like it after that.

KAC RAS are on some of my guns. I still like those.

crusader377
10-12-17, 18:44
I've had great luck with my Troy Delta and highly recommend it. Very durable rail which is relatively easy to install.

hdrolling
10-12-17, 18:56
I use a troy and have no issues, it was on sale so I grabbed it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4366/36470677450_3f9b43645e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XyMKMC)s&w 2 (https://flic.kr/p/XyMKMC) by hd_rolling (https://www.flickr.com/photos/22585324@N07/), on Flickr

gunnerblue
10-12-17, 19:08
I use an Omega rail at work. Personally I am fan of the I-beam feel

BrigandTwoFour
10-12-17, 19:55
I've been using an Omega, works great. Preference would have been for a C4, though. I just happened to get a good deal on the Omega and didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the delta ring and front cap assembly.

Stickman
10-12-17, 20:27
If Stickman's measurements are correct, the new BCM quad is going to be a bit on the tall side, as well (2.375...according to stickman). Damn. I love the profile of the RIS II and, as a close second, the DDM4 rail. That said, of the available rails that are capable of attaching to the USGI barrel nut, id still choose the C4. I wouldn't fiddle with any Troy kit, but that's just me.

I don't ever recall taking those measurements. I could be sleep deprived, but where did you see me post that info?

Stickman
10-12-17, 20:31
LaRue's extrusion is too thin under the top rail. I had one with a fixed front sight, and it smashed and bent the rail out of whack. I kinda got it bent back, but never could like it after that.

KAC RAS are on some of my guns. I still like those.

Now you are going to make someone have to run to another board so they can come back and shill in the manner they were told to...

RAM Engineer
10-12-17, 20:58
Now you are going to make someone have to run to another board so they can come back and shill in the manner they were told to...

Was that directed at me? I don't get the joke, so it must not be...

hdrolling
10-13-17, 05:31
Was that directed at me? I don't get the joke, so it must not be...

He was quoting a post from markm.

Todd.K
10-13-17, 10:20
Nothing to add but disdain for the proprietary barrel nut system!

The superior strength/rigidity of handguards with longer barrel nuts cannot be ignored. Especially with how long many are now. Also the rail cannot be attached in an ideal way to a GI barrel nut.

I get the consumer side of it, especially with the worst example of user friendly designs like you had. But most these days are not at all difficult or expensive to get the tools for, even KAC.

joeyjoe
10-13-17, 12:03
I don't ever recall taking those measurements. I could be sleep deprived, but where did you see me post that info?

My apologies, stick. I went back and found the post here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?199842-My-newest-BCM/page2
It was Renegade04 who provided the dimensions of the BCM QRF. Are his dimensions incorrect?

bikemike555
01-15-18, 21:46
Samson STAR and Evo handguards use standard barrel nut.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk