PDA

View Full Version : Used Truck/SUV Purchase

Gutshot John
10-08-08, 20:30
Well there have been sweet deals on SUVs about, and so I'm thinking about picking one up for cash that will be a bit more comfortable on longer trips as well as being able to do anything with it for shooting/hunting activities.

Unless otherwise noted each vehicle costs around $10K and has about 100K miles on it.

My main criteria is durability/reliability. Secondary would be fuel considerations: mileage/availabilty. The diesel has some appeal in this regard.

Blake
10-08-08, 20:48
I didn't know that Jeep Cherokees could make it to 100K miles. I didn't like any of the choices. I would avoid the Jeep SUV products. While I'm sure there are some good ones around, I have heard of numerous problems.

LOKNLOD
10-08-08, 20:55
The 4runner wins for durability in my book. It should have the 3.4 v6 and those things seem to go forever. Mileage won't be great though.

The Highlander will be very comfy and smooth on long trips. It should hold up well but remember it's a car, not a truck. Mileage should be decent.

Having 50k less miles is a lot of extra life for the Cherokee. Mileage probably won't be great either.

Diesel Liberty would be last on my list. I think they're cramped inside (somewhat subjective). I'm not confident in the longterm durability or reliability of their diesel either. I know they can be great, and I like the concept, but still. Plus I've heard that the mileage was disappointing -- better, but disappointing. With diesel so much higher than gas, it needs to be a lot better to be a cost effective deal these days. Finding diesel can be harder in some areas too.

Either of the Toyotas will hold value much better, also, if that's a consideration for you.

FWIW, I'd get the 4runner for myself, or the Highlander for my wife. I would recommend one of those two depending on your tastes/needs.

I generally avoid Chrysler products if at all possible.

HAMMERDROP
10-08-08, 21:18
I didn't know that Jeep Cherokees could make it to 100K miles. I didn't like any of the choices. I would avoid the Jeep SUV products. While I'm sure there are some good ones around, I have heard of numerous problems.

I got a Jeep 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo Flex Fuel V8 but I drive it like a pansy, I got it in Sept 2007 and dont have 9500 miles on it of course its Black. I really would rather have a Hummer H2 but ... my wife rocked on the negotiation for the Jeep we sat there 6 hours and she talked them down almost $12k and got me a few accessories also. But I too fear any Dodge/Chrysler product but the term Jeep to me has always meant RUGGED. I just never thought I could afford one. It runs great goes anywhere has scary pick up when you smash the go pedal. But time will tell. A friend of mine in auto finance its all he drives swears by Dogde/Chrysler vehicles.
But I got my Jeep with lifetime drivetrain warranty and and I added a 48 month bumper to bumper (which my wife negotiated as a freebee) package. But if you look NEW look for some extended warranty package. The prices are right on SUV's an incentive is what took me into look for an SUV. I dont know how old you are or if you were hit by the current econom situation but at my age I dont want to have to worry about paying for repairs they suck.

Michael

MarshallDodge
10-08-08, 21:34
I would take a serious look at the diesel Jeep. The only thing that concerns me is the Jeep part. The diesel motor is made in Italy and is supposed to be a good little engine. It has the Common Rail injection system which makes it quieter and will smoke very little if any. Most diesels will run longer than the vehicle they are put in.

Around here diesel is about 5% higher than gas but you will get at least 25% better mileage with the diesel and you can run biodiesel.

Of course you can't go wrong with Toyota. My boss just sold his 4runner with 180K miles and never put a dime in it other than routine maintenance.

chadbag
10-08-08, 22:33
I drove a 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 with the Cummins until late 2006 and traded up to a 2006 2500 MegaCab. While Chrysler products don't excite me much, their trucks have been good to me. Don't know about the Jeep but it is what I would drive. This came during their German era...

LOKNLOD
10-08-08, 22:33
Around here diesel is about 5% higher than gas but you will get at least 25% better mileage with the diesel and you can run biodiesel.

Wow. Diesel is about a buck more a gallon here. $2.77 vs. $3.77 here at one of the local stations.

chadbag
10-08-08, 22:36
Where I am at (Salt Lake Valley) the Diesel is about 10-11% higher than the low grade regular unleaded gas and about 6-7% higher than the high grade.

Two weeks ago the diesel and high grade were tied but gas had another big drop and diesel just started this week to slowly go down again.

Heating Oil season in the north east of the US is coming which can drive diesel prices up.

Treehopr
10-09-08, 01:30
I've had 3 Jeeps in the last 7 years, the first was a Liberty that went 64,000 miles and had a tail light go out. The second, a 2003, just passed 94,000 miles but has had a few more problems- about $2,000 worth of repairs not including normal wear and tear items like brakes and tires.

I also have a '94 Grand Cherokee Limited with 116,000 miles that has had just about everything repaired, replaced or rebuilt. At least $5,000 in the last 2 years for transmission, radiator, catalytic converter, AC and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. I'm planning on driving this thing until the wheels fall off, which should be any day now :D

Jeeps are great in crappy weather like heavy rain or snow but suck for everything else.

If I had to get another SUV I'd probably be looking at a Toyota 4Runner or RAV4 at this point. Actually test drove an FJ Cruiser today and didn't like it.

Magic Sauce
10-09-08, 02:08
You will not go wrong with a Toyota. They are simply outstanding when it comes to reliability.

ST911
10-09-08, 10:45

That's a joke, right? Jeeps are world reknown for performance and reliabilty, especially the 4.0L V6 drivetrain available in Wrangler, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee. More recently, the (3.7?) is proving itself, with some anticipated development quirks. The old 4-liter is in high demand for rebuilders and purists.

A fleet of LE Cherokees ran to nearly 200k before they were surplused. Most are still out and about. They were used and abused, with no PM and were fixed only when broken. Problems that arose in the service life weren't in the drivetrain, but rather the little nitnoid stuff (headlight switch, ignition switch, door adjustments) coming with hard frequent use.

My Jeeps have all gone well in excess of 100k with only minor customary maintainance. My daily driver Cherokee has nearly 200k miles. Brakes and oil changes periodically, bulbs, shocks, 2 batteries, a radiator, ignition switch, and 2 power window motors has been it for me. I don't abuse it, but she's a trail rider for sure.

Termination of the Cherokee line was a sad day.

All this, and I'm not even a motorhead or enthusiast. ;)

tango-papa
10-09-08, 13:03
In my opinion and experience, there is nothing more reliable than a moderately well maintained Toyota.
My sister drives a '95 4-Runner/4wd that had 75k+ miles when she took posession - still runs great.
My dad drives a '98 4-Runner/4wd that had 90k+ miles when he took posession - still runs great.
My wife drives an '06 4-Runner w/ 4-awd that had 12 miles on it when she took posession - loves it.
I drove an 03 Tundra/4wd (purchased new) and put 59k on it over the course of 22 months and then traded it for an '04 crew-cab/4wd (purchased new) and it runs great.

I have first right of refusal with my sister/dad if and/or when they ever get rid of their 4-runners.

Nobody in my family, including me, babies their vehicles. All are maintained with routine oil changes, tune-ups, etc. and nothing more.

So, I vote the 4-Runner as the best all-rounder of your choices.

~tp

tango-papa
10-09-08, 13:10
... my wife rocked on the negotiation for the Jeep we sat there 6 hours and she talked them down almost $12k and got me a few accessories also.

... got my Jeep with lifetime drivetrain warranty and and I added a 48 month bumper to bumper (which my wife negotiated as a freebee) package.
Michael

Your wife is cool - please tell her I said so.

~tp

Littlelebowski
10-09-08, 13:18

They do all of the time. Grand Cherokees, not as durable but still fine. The old Cherokees are good vehicles. The 4.0 can move out pretty good - great engine. It will outlast the tranny.

Terry
10-09-08, 13:26
I've had 2 Cherokee's, both sport models with the V-6
The reason I bought the second is because the first was so reliable.
For a cold weather working and hunting vehicle, FWIW, I'd recommend them.
My daughter just turned 16 and she drives it now, so far so good.
Having said that, I don't think you could go wrong buying a used toyota either.
Terry.

SHIVAN
10-09-08, 13:33
Of those choices, I voted Grand Cherokee @ 50k miles.

I would have normally voted for the Toyota 4-Runner, but the 2002 is kind of small in comparison to the new one, or even a '05 Quad Cab Tacoma.

I would vote for the 2003 Toyota 4-Runner in a heartbeat though.

HAMMERDROP
10-09-08, 13:48
Your wife is cool - please tell her I said so.

~tp

Thanks I'll tell her ... I ought to rent her out for vehicle and housing negotiations. All I know how to say at the table is OKAY - LOL !!

Michael

andre3k
10-09-08, 16:51
92-97 Toyota Landcruisers are the best deal going right now.

Gutshot John
10-09-08, 16:58
How is the 4Runner on the road? Pretty comfortable? or is it pretty rough with lots of road noise?

I plan on using this more on the road, but wouldn't mind the capability of going off-road.

LOKNLOD
10-09-08, 17:08
How is the 4Runner on the road? Pretty comfortable? or is it pretty rough with lots of road noise?

I plan on using this more on the road, but wouldn't mind the capability of going off-road.

It's still a truck, but I think that generation of Toyota trucks/SUVs drives alright. I also think Suzuki Samurais are fun to drive so take my opinion with a grain of salt ;) Seriously though if you can take one for a test drive, that'll be the only way to tell.

C-Fish
10-09-08, 20:15
...I've had 2 Cherokee's, both sport models with the V-6

Cherokee's didn't come with a V6.

Straight 6 is THE engine to have.

I have a 2003 Grand with 43K. I will be driving this for YEARS to come. The 4L motor is good to 200K easy.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Jeep/DSCF0038.jpg

chadbag
10-09-08, 21:50
I am not sure what you heat with in the winter there in PA. I know the more North East you go, the more likely you run into Heating Oil winter heat. (Properly filtered) heating oil can be used in a SHTF type of situation to fuel your Diesel vehicle. (That might not be so true with the new 2007+ engines, I don't know, but with earlier ones it will be).

I got my first diesel truck right before Y2K (and I lived in NH at the time) and think that the Diesel makes a much better SHTF type of vehicle, especially in home heating oil states.

bigshooter
10-09-08, 22:00
02', 03' ,04' GMC sierra/yukon

cheap(used), will go far past 100k, VERY common parts.

my 04' sierra averaged 17mpg

my 07' gets 12mph:( (but it's better in every other aspect):rolleyes: